What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's your favorite song from the 1980s? (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
What mainstream song makes you feel nolstagia about the 80s?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow there are so many! I will say I heard "Thriller" on the radio the other day, lots of nolstagia with that song. That album was at the top for a while.

As stated above, far too many, and hard to only get to one. The question is are you looking for an 80s song that still fits well into a mix you'd listen to today, or a song that just screams 80s.

Going with the first portion, I'll put out "Tempted" by Squeeze.

So many but first three that come to mind

Hold me now - Thompson twins

Don't you forget about me - simple minds

Stand - REM

I know this is 1989, but it seems more 90s than 80s.
Despite my name, I actually wasn't listening to a lot of music in the 80s, mostly learning how to ride a bike and pee in a toilet. 1989 is about as far as I go for personal nostalgia.

if I had to pick the most 80s pop song ever, I choose Whitney.

I know this is 1989, but it seems more 90s than 80s.
Despite my name, I actually wasn't listening to a lot of music in the 80s, mostly learning how to ride a bike and pee in a toilet. 1989 is about as far as I go for personal nostalgia.

if I had to pick the most 80s pop song ever, I choose Whitney.
I graduated from HS in 1988, so 80s pop is right in my wheelhouse. Please no Whitney!!! ;)

I like the Michael Jackson Thriler mention.   I'm a big depeche mode fan so I will mention Never Let Me Down, People are People, Master and Servant, Behind the Wheel and Strangelove all as top 20 options for me.  

If you are going for pure 80s, you could toss a little Journey in the mix... Don't Stop Believin' is 80s gold. Steve Perry could sing like few others.

As you all know, the 80s was the era of MTV and the music video. One of my favorite artists of all time, Peter Gabriel, was the pure 80s video king. Big Time is a perfect example. "Hi There!"

One of the best videos ever made, was for You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon. Loved the way that Paul Simon and Chevy Chase interacted.

Going to see Huey at the Idaho Fair tomorrow.
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Users who are viewing this thread