What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Strategy (1 Viewer)

NCPanthersFan

Footballguy
Hey Folks ,

I run an old league which is getting ready to implement 2 days of waivers.  It used to be just one waiver run and then FCFS.  However the goal is to give equal opportunity to dropped players.  Would this be a traditional setup in your mind? (16 Team PPR)

Day 1 Waivers - Worst to First Waiver order.  All players dropped are subject to Day 2 waivers.  Otherwise any player who has not been dropped can be grabbed via FCFS after the initial waivers are done.

Day 2 Waivers - Worst to First Waiver order.  Only applies to players that have been dropped.  

Thanks!

That plan kinda sucks, looks like something Obama would do. Just go to blind bidding and give everyone a chance and have it come down to who is smarter, not who happens to suck at the right time to happen to be first on the wire

I do not disagree at all but this is a local league with very few sharks with an average age nearing 50.  Teaching these guys something new is not easy and often a pain in the ###.  I have received multiple complaints over the years about "not getting access to dropped players because I am not online all of the time".  I am trying to remain impartial as much as I can and feel that they have a valid point.  The only way I know to do it - and be successful - is to use traditional waivers.  

One complaint I am fielding is " this is too much help, why should owners get first crack at the waiver wire Day 1 and Day 2.".  

Again allot of this is just understanding the personalities of the league and what the owners are willing to do.  I just want to find a impartial solution as I am definitely one of those people who are online all of the time.

Thanks!

I do not disagree at all but this is a local league with very few sharks with an average age nearing 50.  Teaching these guys something new is not easy and often a pain in the ###.  I have received multiple complaints over the years about "not getting access to dropped players because I am not online all of the time".  I am trying to remain impartial as much as I can and feel that they have a valid point.  The only way I know to do it - and be successful - is to use traditional waivers.  

One complaint I am fielding is " this is too much help, why should owners get first crack at the waiver wire Day 1 and Day 2.".  

Again allot of this is just understanding the personalities of the league and what the owners are willing to do.  I just want to find a impartial solution as I am definitely one of those people who are online all of the time.

Thanks!
I'm in a few leagues with these kind of owners (doing it a while, resistant to change, varying levels of time commitment due to Real Life).

I like the idea of 2 waivers but I personally like the "rolling order" method for waiver priority. ie. it starts for the season with last draft pick to first draft pick, then any waiver move drops you to the bottom of the priority list. Then it's more about the owners who "saved up" their waiver priority by not making moves all season in hope of being at the #1 priority when THE waiver opportunity comes available (ex. starting RB goes down and back up will be the dude everyone wants to pick up).

Besides that, I totally understand the need to do the double waivers in a league like that. Go for it.

Worst to first waiver order is probably my least favorite fantasy rule of all time.  No way these guys are ready for FAAB, but "move to last after claim" isn't real complicated.

Thanks!
Have the second round of waivers be rolling (or priority) meaning if you picked up a player you go to the back of the line.

In one 14 team league where I absolutely shat the can at draft I’ve gotten Chubb, Clement, Murray, and Richard, and I suddenly feel like I have a plethora of RB riches. But that’s a drop/add league.

In another which is FAAB I have taken chances over the young season to invest in Rb2s and WR3s and it’s been a mixed bag, but it’s allowed me to trade into stronger situations.

But the FAAB is definitely a problem as I’ve left myself with some budget but not enough to withstand the likely onslaught for any particular prized player like Chubb. Regardless I enjoy the FAAB strategy far more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might’ve missed something, but the answer to this is simple.

Just freeze all dropped players until the next week (but players who weren't picked up in the waiver run are still eligible for FCFS FA). It sounds like you guys were using FCFS FA with dropped players & that’s unfair to the owners who aren't available when waivers run.

It’ll also eliminate the hassle of having 2 waiver runs each week. If you must do the 2 waiver run thing, a rolling order (based off the earlier waiver run) makes MUCH more sense. You shouldn’t give the same teams the highest waiver priorities in the same week.

Last edited by a moderator:
We run waivers on Wednesday and Thursday night, but we do it with FAAB. We've been doing it this way for years. I took a poll to see if people wanted to drop it back down to 1, but the majority preferred 2 consecutive nights. The only advantage of doing it this way is to give people an opportunity to immediately pick up a dropped player the following night. On the rest of days, anyone dropped has to wait until the following week.  It's quirky, but the guys in the league like it.

Users who are viewing this thread