What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proper Punishment Here? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
This is some of the most unacceptable behavior I could imagine. 

http://nypost.com/2017/08/23/teen-beats-up-his-teacher-in-front-of-the-class/

What type of punishment is at hand here? This video is viral and the kid needs to be made an example of to discourage any other kid from ever taking a swing at their teacher. 

Expulsion is obvious, but I'm also in the charge him as an adult and send him off for at least 5 years mindset - make sure any kid that sees it knows what happens when you pull this kinda ####. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, at a minimum he needs to be expelled, possibly permanently, from the school and tried as an adult within the legal system.  5-years seems pretty severe for a fight but that should depend on his prior record.  

Ya, at a minimum he needs to be expelled, possibly permanently, from the school and tried as an adult within the legal system.  5-years seems pretty severe for a fight but that should depend on his prior record.  
Don't see what good explusion does. Just another person destined for jail or the public dole

To me this is a given, if this doesn't happen, you're basically encouraging kids to go after their teachers. 

I think the punishment needs to be severe, and used as a deterrent for any kid dumb enough to think they can get away with this. 

I can't imagine someone going after their teacher like that. As angry as some teachers made me, I knew that they were off limits no matter what... This behavior is insane. 

5 years seems about right for that.  He wouldn't serve it all behind bars anyway, though he should.

Five years suspended contingent on satisfactory progress to diploma and mandatory 10 hour week job plus some community service.  Don't meet the requirement you're doing hard time

Why have laws for juveniles if there's an option to try them as adults?  Doesn't make sense to me. 

Why have laws for juveniles if there's an option to try them as adults?  Doesn't make sense to me. 
BC there is discretion on how someone should be punished based on the severity of an act. 

If a 16 year old shoplifts a candy bar, that shouldn't follow them around or be on their record - chalk it up to young and stupid... If two kids get in a fight over something stupid, prob don't need to try them as adults. A 16 year old goes after their teacher in the middle of class and throws 10 punches at them, throw the book at the kid. 

The end of the video they say "police are investigating and the student may be charged with battery," that's why I started the thread... I found that very odd. The student may be charged with battery? What's the delay here, seems pretty black and white unless there is something much much much deeper we don't know about, but I find that doubtful. 

Maybe a transfer to a different school. Without school you just doomed the kid to being a permanent public responsibiliyresponsibility
I'm with you there, different school just not the same one where he attacked a teacher. Maybe one of the schools where other kids who have been tossed out of other schools are sent as a second chance.

Maybe a transfer to a different school. Without school you just doomed the kid to being a permanent public responsibiliyresponsibility
These are good posts.  I think it's a catch 22...that's a kid, if you put him in jail, who will be in and out of jail for the rest of his life

The thing that always concerns me on these videos is the number of people just standing around and filming it.  That's more disturbing.

A) By 16, anyone who does this is well on their way to being a danger to society. I doubt anything done will change that. The odds are certainly not in his favor. 

B) By sending him to another school, you've just given other kids the green light to attack their teachers. 

A) By 16, anyone who does this is well on their way to being a danger to society. I doubt anything done will change that. The odds are certainly not in his favor. 

B) By sending him to another school, you've just given other kids the green light to attack their teachers. 
I'm glad I wasn't judged (or caught) for the stuff I did at 16. IMO driving drunk is worse than beating up your teacher. If you're ok with 10 years for first offense dui then I'll give you the 5 yr for battery

as I've said there are other creative ways to punish him that at least give him a chance in life

That's because we just send people like this to prison.  Our recidivism rate is close to 80%.  In other countries it is as low as 20%.  The US mentality is to completely give up on people the minute they shoplift. That's not how the rest of the first world does it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12

I'm glad I wasn't judged (or caught) for the stuff I did at 16. IMO driving drunk is worse than beating up your teacher. If you're ok with 10 years for first offense dui then I'll give you the 5 yr for battery

as I've said there are other creative ways to punish him that at least give him a chance in life
restorative justice...make him pay back his debt to society, not by sitting in a cell getting to know thugs and drug dealers, but by doing something productive

That's because we just send people like this to prison.  Our recidivism rate is close to 80%.  In other countries it is as low as 20%.  The US mentality is to completely give up on people the minute they shoplift. That's not how the rest of the first world does it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12
I give up on a kid when they violently attack a teacher at the age of 16, sorry. Certainly lines in life to me that you once you cross, you've gone too far. 16 is old enough to know you don't pull this #### no matter what. 

Furthermore, you think it would be fair to A DIFFERENT TEACHER to put this kid in their class? 

BC there is discretion on how someone should be punished based on the severity of an act. 

If a 16 year old shoplifts a candy bar, that shouldn't follow them around or be on their record - chalk it up to young and stupid... If two kids get in a fight over something stupid, prob don't need to try them as adults. A 16 year old goes after their teacher in the middle of class and throws 10 punches at them, throw the book at the kid. 
I'm of the opinion that this kid's life shouldn't be ruined because of this assault.  I guess I could be convinced that he should be tried as an adult if this were his most recent transgression in a series of serious crimes but we don't know that.

Should be minimum3 to 5 years prison. This is just a thug inmate in waiting. 
Once again, i think this is very harsh for a kid that could possibly have many other things going on in his life.  3-5 years in prison would ruin his life.  I honestly don't think that punishment fits the crime. 

I give up on a kid when they violently attack a teacher at the age of 16, sorry. Certainly lines in lift to me that you once you cross, you've gone too far. 16 is old enough to know you don't pull this #### no matter what. 

Furthermore, you think it would be fair to A DIFFERENT TEACHER to put this kid in their class? 
Does your rules apply because it was a teacher?  What if it was a coach?  A parent?  A kid in the playground?  I'm just trying to gauge when you are willing to tell a kid that their life is worthless and the world gives up on you.

I don't think this is necessarily true.  Having to move to a new school your soph/junior year is a pretty big deterrent for most.  I know that i would have hated it as a kid.  Who knows what is going on in his mind. 

Once again, i think this is very harsh for a kid that could possibly have many other things going on in his life.  3-5 years in prison would ruin his life.  I honestly don't think that punishment fits the crime. 
Which is the case for so much of the punishment system in the USA

Does your rules apply because it was a teacher?  What if it was a coach?  A parent?  A kid in the playground?  I'm just trying to gauge when you are willing to tell a kid that their life is worthless and the world gives up on you.
Because it was a teacher... Educators are completely off limits for students. If you don't recognize this at 16, I have zero sympathy for you. #### this kid. 

Are you okay putting him in a classroom with another teacher? Would that be fair to another teacher? My opinion is NFW. 

I give up on a kid when they violently attack a teacher at the age of 16, sorry. Certainly lines in life to me that you once you cross, you've gone too far. 16 is old enough to know you don't pull this #### no matter what. 

This. Any kid who would do this has basically zero chance to ever be a productive member of society.  When you're physically assaulting your teacher, its too late for you.

I'd say jail, but it wont help. 

10 hours a week cleaning the school pooper. 7% of his pay to Uncle Sam, 25% to the teacher, and 25% to the local head start program. Screw up and you go to the slammer

Because it was a teacher... Educators are completely off limits for students. If you don't recognize this at 16, I have zero sympathy for you. #### this kid. 

Are you okay putting him in a classroom with another teacher? Would that be fair to another teacher? My opinion is NFW. 
I'm ok with putting him back in the same classroom and having him work his guilt off.

Technically, I assaulted a teacher when I was that age.  I was roughhousing and someone put me in a bear hug.  I reversed and rammed him into a wall and then elbowed him in the gut.  He groaned and let go pretty quickly and I turned and saw that it was a teacher.  :lol:   No repercussions for me or the teacher.

10 hours a week cleaning the school pooper. 7% of his pay to Uncle Sam, 25% to the teacher, and 25% to the local head start program. Screw up and you go to the slammer
That's probably a good punishment there.  Also have him assigned to a psychologist that he needs to meet a couple of times a week.  

Are you out of your mind or are you trolling? 
I'm suggesting what most of the first world does for these types of things. Does that make me out of my mind???

I should add that only if the teacher is ok with working through the process.  If not, he would have to go to another classroom

I made a throwing star in shop class and decided to test it out. Glad I got 3 days detention rather than having Judge Curse lock me up for five years

Please set up a fund for all the people this dude victimizes while not in prison and I'll set up your fund. 
Again, it has been shown that it is easy and much more cost effective to rehabilitate people, especially kids, than it is to just throw them in the system and say to he$$$ with them.

I'm suggesting what most of the first world does for these types of things. Does that make me out of my mind???
You don't even want to expel the kid, just put him right back in the same class (especially bc he has to work off that guilt according to you, which I doubt he has) - IMO, that makes someone insane while being foolish, a pretty dangerous combination, with all due respect. 

We're too far apart to continue this back and forth, good luck. 

You don't even want to expel the kid, just put him right back in the same class (especially bc he has to work off that guilt according to you, which I doubt he has) - IMO, that makes someone insane while being foolish, a pretty dangerous combination, with all due respect. 

We're too far apart to continue this back and forth, good luck. 
To be fair, I meant his guilt in regard to his crime, not his personal guilt.  I'm not sure what his mental state is and neither are you.  

Users who are viewing this thread