What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rock Du Jour - 4/29/22 - The New Intellectual Right and J.D. Vance and Exactly Who We're Voting For - Very Important, Folks! (1 Viewer)

Sure thing. I don't want to drive a false narrative. I think it's suspect, but will accommodate those among us that I consider perfectly reasonable, like you, Henry, and fatguy.  
I agree it's suspect... but we have enough purposeful hyperbole and flat out misinformation to warrant playing these close to the vest for sake of being conservative in our accusations... even if there is something potentially fishy behind it.

Obama was very hostile to the Netanyahu regime. Trump is very positive towards the Netanyahu regime. I'm been critical of both approaches.

But in the end, I don't think either administration will have had much affect on the overall dynamics over there.

Obama was very hostile to the Netanyahu regime. Trump is very positive towards the Netanyahu regime. I'm been critical of both approaches.

But in the end, I don't think either administration will have had much affect on the overall dynamics over there.
I think you're right, tim, and you seem to know way more about it than I do. 

I'm serious. I remember the paydays and the surge in crack sales. I think unstructured payments to addicts with no additional mental health support or addiction support simply is in the hands of the secondary market (I refuse to use the term black, as it is often white). Please discuss if you'd like.  

This also falls into the deinstitutionalization movement of the seventies, which has been the subject of much libertarian debate about paternalism and the state.  

This op-ed was everything that's wrong with this "free speech on campus" discussion and with the Times opinion page.  The internet rightly destroyed Weiss for a ridiculous, obvious mistake that undermined her argument. If you're so desperate for examples of the left being unreasonable towards reasonable people that you cite an obvious parody account as one of your small handful of examples, that should tell you something about both the premise and the thoughtfulness of the writer.  Her "apology," of course, was half-###ed at best and admitted to none of that.

And then her other main example, about Sommers, was a straw man. She acted as if the reason for the protests of Sommers and the references to her as a fascist were due to her saying "things like: Men and women are equal, but there are differences between them. Or: The gender gap in STEM fields isn’t simply the result of sexism. Or: Contrary to received wisdom, the American school system actually favors girls, not boys." Of course she made no mention of the actual reason people say those things about Sommers, like for example the fact that she went on a speaking tour with an actual white nationalist (Milo) and posted a photoshop of her as Wonder Woman and him as Superman "defending freedom,"

Anyway, here's a better response to Weiss than mine. She's crap and the Times opinion page is crap.  Which sucks, because as this guy points out it is super important and these are super important times.

She acted as if the reason for the protests of Sommers and the references to her as a fascist were due to her saying "things like: Men and women are equal, but there are differences between them. Or: The gender gap in STEM fields isn’t simply the result of sexism. Or: Contrary to received wisdom, the American school system actually favors girls, not boys."
I don't know what Sommers said, but James Damore and Heather Heying have been recently shouted down for pretty much these exact statements.

This op-ed was everything that's wrong with this "free speech on campus" discussion and with the Times opinion page.  The internet rightly destroyed Weiss for a ridiculous, obvious mistake that undermined her argument. If you're so desperate for examples of the left being unreasonable towards reasonable people that you cite an obvious parody account as one of your small handful of examples, that should tell you something about both the premise and the thoughtfulness of the writer.  Her "apology," of course, was half-###ed at best and admitted to none of that.

And then her other main example, about Sommers, was a straw man. She acted as if the reason for the protests of Sommers and the references to her as a fascist were due to her saying "things like: Men and women are equal, but there are differences between them. Or: The gender gap in STEM fields isn’t simply the result of sexism. Or: Contrary to received wisdom, the American school system actually favors girls, not boys." Of course she made no mention of the actual reason people say those things about Sommers, like for example the fact that she went on a speaking tour with an actual white nationalist (Milo) and posted a photoshop of her as Wonder Woman and him as Superman "defending freedom,"

Anyway, here's a better response to Weiss than mine. She's crap and the Times opinion page is crap.  Which sucks, because as this guy points out it is super important and these are super important times.
Interesting take also. You know I take you seriously about these things, and it's quite possible that this is the case. But I seem to recall my friends from Columbia complaining of the exact same stuff she was complaining about in '04-'05, so she gets some credit with me for speaking out then and speaking out now. 

And I was embarrassed that Christina Hoff Sommers hitched her star to Milo. It was a bad move before, and a really bad move in retrospect.  

I don't know what Sommers said, but James Damore and Heather Heying have been recently shouted down for pretty much these exact statements.
I don't know the facts of those incidents. Unless you're just talking about Damore getting fired, in which case I'd disagree- his problem was context, not content.

I don't know the facts of those incidents. Unless you're just talking about Damore getting fired, in which case I'd disagree- his problem was context, not content.
They were on a panel discussion that got disrupted -- at about the 20-minute mark here. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's an example of people using force or disruption instead of conversation or debate to try to defeat opposing ideas. (And they threw in the f-word -- fascism -- to committ Bari Weiss's peeve.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting take also. You know I take you seriously about these things, and it's quite possible that this is the case. But I seem to recall my friends from Columbia complaining of the exact same stuff she was complaining about in '04-'05, so she gets some credit with me for speaking out then and speaking out now. 

And I was embarrassed that Christina Hoff Sommers hitched her star to Milo. It was a bad move before, and a really bad move in retrospect.  
I don't know much about the Columbia 04-05 thing she's been getting heat about.  My perspective was her confusing a fairly obvious parody with the real thing and then using that as one of the foundations of her argument was so bad that it undermined her column totally, so I don't care if it was also hypocritical.

My problem with the Times opinion page is kind of similar to my problem with making a big deal of this "speech chilling" argument more broadly. Ideally I wish those few people who crossed the line didn't, but it's not that important and has been inflated into a hot button issue because intelligent conservatives who like to debate and dissect can't do so on the substance of their party's positions on the bigger issues these days. All of Weiss's and Stephen's columns are basically the same thing: "don't dismiss people, welcome different viewpoints even if they're unpopular."  But they're writing for the NY Times Opinions page, for chrissakes. Their viewpoints couldn't possibly have been more welcomed already. So it rings pretty hollow. At this point if they want people to hear out conservative and/or unpopular and/or Trump-friendly perspectives they should actually present those perspectives to readers. It is possible to do it.  Focusing on a handful of extremists and making them boogeymen instead of defending conservate perspectives/Trump/the GOP on substance just seems like a cop-out.

My perspective was her confusing a fairly obvious parody with the real thing and then using that as one of the foundations of her argument was so bad that it undermined her column totally, so I don't care if it was also hypocritical.
It don't think it undermined her column totally. I say this because by the time I had read her column, the correction had already been made and the reference to the fake tweet had already been deleted -- and yet the column was still cogent.

I’m curious, ra- do you agree with the views put forth in this piece? You believe the Deep State is out to get Trump? 
No. I don't believe in Deep State, but I do believe they're leveraging obstruction of justice and their criminal charges in really cynical ways. 

But government can be cynical. 

I always love reading Hanson even though I disagree with him almost all  most of the time. He's a great rhetorician. 

See, here's the thing about Trump that I can say. I disagree with him fundamentally about so many things personal. 

But I've also watched otherwise good and rational people become unhinged about him. Just like Bush. Just like Obama. Both of whom I respectfully disagree with. 

But the anti-Trump vitriol has gotten personal and extended to his supporters, who in turn can get vitriolic, and so it's a lament to watch this whole sorry episode play out. 

And the thing is, I'm like McCain in my voting on issues, yet I still hold contempt for the man (Trump). But he has acted in step with the Republican Party of the past forty years, aside from immigration, and I generally still support the platform, aside from some major caveats.

I do think the investigation has morphed into one of two things: 

• A conscientious effort by conscientious men who realize and are privy to something really nefarious that Trump allowed to happen w/r/t Russia in the election or due to personal finances
  • A political witch hunt
And at this point, there's really no middle ground with the way the investigation has gone. It's really a Rohrschach.

Clare Booth Luce on Firing Line in 1969 discussing environmentalism (pre-EPA) and Spiro Agnew's relationship with the press.  

Interesting. It's sort of funny that Agnew, as VP, would criticize the press and get the same reaction Trump did. It was claimed that he was factually incorrect and was trying to "intimidate the press," according to Luce. 

One thing I've learned by watching Firing Line is that domestic issues haven't moved an inch, merely their vulgarity.  

Typical liberal rag.

The  again, I'd expect nothing more from this lefty dominated board.
It actually was quite critical of the GOP. I decided to link so that this didn't become a conservative echo chamber, though there aren't many things but echoes in here anyway.   :D

It actually was quite critical of the GOP. I decided to link so that this didn't become a conservative echo chamber, though there aren't many things but echoes in here anyway.   :D
It was quite critical. Appropriately so.  It's a good rag, as rags go.

I know / have worked (ate and drank) with a writer at the American Conservative.  Those are good, challenging and illuminating discussions / worksessions - it's great. Good guy, too.

For anyone looking into dog whistles and vinyl, here's your thing. Found this because it's one of my favorite hip hop artists of the past twenty years. Support an independent artist and satisfy your hatred of Trump at the same time!  

https://www.puts.band/shop/dogwhistles-flexi-disk

On flexi-disk!  

I can almost guarantee this is awesome.  

I'll buy it and report back, I think.  

eta* Purchased. Five bucks, but five bucks shipping.  

Not so radical, this flexi-disc. More like a Trump lament, which I get on my facebook feed every day. Good riff, but not much else. I was expecting spoken excerpts from Trump speeches with backbeats, actually, but that's not what it was. Just sort of an anti-Trump song. Ho-hum.  

https://theweek.com/articles/826437/new-antitrump-publication-last-thing-conservative-media-needs

"#NeverTrump types are desperate to convince readers that clichés about "entrepreneurship," endless war, and moaning about the Founding Fathers are still cool. But nobody listens. They had their shot with roughly 15 other candidates in 2016, and the American people rejected all of them, one by one. If your ideas are so bad that social conservatives would rather vote for a twice-divorced serial philanderer than pull the lever for any of the indistinguishable blue-blazered frat boys who are mouthpieces for them, maybe you should rethink what you're doing. If the Never Trumpers had gotten the candidate they wanted, Hillary Clinton would have won Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. (Emphasis mine. This is a good point.)

They know this. They also couldn't care less. Why should they, when the paychecks continue to cash? They have been insulated from the badness of their ideas for decades; this isn't going to change, probably ever."

Trump and The Revolt of the 'Somewheres'

"In recent decades, the U.S. Congress has delegated its lawmaking powers: voting by lopsided margins for goals such as clean air and equality of the sexes, while leaving the hard choices—the real legislating—to specialized executive-branch agencies. Lawmakers have abandoned regular budgeting and appropriations, weakening the “power of the purse.” They have stood by passively, often with palpable relief, as courts have decreed resolutions of contentious issues of sexual autonomy and moral obligation that were previously matters for legislative deliberation. National legislatures in Europe and the U.K. have done the same thing, with the added twist that they have delegated considerable powers to the European Union’s supernational bureaucracies and courts.

The conventional criticism of these developments is that they evade democratic accountability and lead to overregulation and “agency capture” by interest groups. Administrative agencies can make rules—de facto laws—in much greater profusion than elected representatives. Agencies often go to extremes, or cut deals among insider groups, that could never survive a legislative vote. Delegation produces more law than most citizens want, and often objectively bad law. But bureaucrats cannot be voted out of office..." - Chris DeMuth 

rockaction said:
NeverTrump types are desperate to convince readers that clichés about "entrepreneurship," endless war, and moaning about the Founding Fathers are still cool. But nobody listens.
I don't get it, is this a plea to drop one's ideals? Moaning about the Founding Fathers? Well.

They have stood by passively, often with palpable relief, as courts have decreed resolutions of contentious issues of sexual autonomy and moral obligation that were previously matters for legislative deliberation.
Absolutely true, but it's getting worse.

And this may be obvious but it turns the constitutional system on its head. A president acts illegally, then it's up to the Congress to vote it down, then the president vetoes and it's a 2/3's majority to override. Then it's to the courts. It's been going on since the 70's but we are no longer dealing with ambiguities, we're dealing with the authorization power, freedom of speech, the basics.

I don't get it, is this a plea to drop one's ideals? Moaning about the Founding Fathers? Well.
Yeah, it's a fiery op-ed. I don't endorse nor agree with it. The main takeaway I got from it was that the GOP playbook that has been in use since the nineties is sort of dead, according to the author. It was very popular in the world of think tanks to quote de Tocqueville and talk about the Founding Fathers, so I get the criticism. 

I really was struck, and have been struck, about Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and the others. It seems to me that Hillary Clinton would be our president right now if Trump hadn't won the primary. It's why, pre-election, they were calling those states "The Blue Wall." It was a real thing until Trump smashed it.  

Absolutely true, but it's getting worse.

And this may be obvious but it turns the constitutional system on its head. A president acts illegally, then it's up to the Congress to vote it down, then the president vetoes and it's a 2/3's majority to override. Then it's to the courts. It's been going on since the 70's but we are no longer dealing with ambiguities, we're dealing with the authorization power, freedom of speech, the basics.
I think what DeMuth is getting at is really the non-delegation doctrine and the executive and legislative branches deferring decisions to the courts, hoping that the circuit courts and SCOTUS will decide the issue for them. It's a way to avoid responsibility for one's vote and becomes a question of accountability. Better for Congress to pass along the onerous qualities of legislation to a bureaucrat in the executive branch, or an elected official to pass along legislative responsibility to a judge with a lifetime appointment rather than go on record with an actual vote.  

Yeah, it's a fiery op-ed. I don't endorse nor agree with it. The main takeaway I got from it was that the GOP playbook that has been in use since the nineties is sort of dead, according to the author. It was very popular in the world of think tanks to quote de Tocqueville and talk about the Founding Fathers, so I get the criticism. 

I really was struck, and have been struck, about Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and the others. It seems to me that Hillary Clinton would be our president right now if Trump hadn't won the primary. It's why, pre-election, they were calling those states "The Blue Wall." It was a real thing until Trump smashed it.  
It was, I found it completely implausible that Trump could win Pennsylvania. I remember having dinner with a friend from PA before the election and he told me that Trump would win there and I disagreed. He was obviously right.

First point second - it's dead I think because the GOP made it dead. Bush did a lot of the damage. The careful post-Vietnam national security was dumped in Iraq and the careful monetary policy was killed by the 2000 Graham bill and the 2008 crash. But most especially people lost faith. That certainly doesn't justify what's happened and it doesn't justify any argument for the party to reject real conservatism. All I see is nihilism and nationalism now and an embrace of the things that Bush failed at - screwing with intelligence for political purposes and reckless management of the economy. That's certainly not reform within the party, which is what is properly required.

It was, I found it completely implausible that Trump could win Pennsylvania. I remember having dinner with a friend from PA before the election and he told me that Trump would win there and I disagreed. He was obviously right.

First point second - it's dead I think because the GOP made it dead. Bush did a lot of the damage. The careful post-Vietnam national security was dumped in Iraq and the careful monetary policy was killed by the 2000 Graham bill and the 2008 crash. But most especially people lost faith. That certainly doesn't justify what's happened and it doesn't justify any argument for the party to reject real conservatism. All I see is nihilism and nationalism now and an embrace of the things that Bush failed at - screwing with intelligence for political purposes and reckless management of the economy. That's certainly not reform within the party, which is what is properly required.
Italicized: I don't agree domestically. I think domestic politics had moved away from the GOP. Paul Ryan and Scott Walker are perfect examples of the unpopularity of their own proposals in their own state of Wisconsin (which is much like PA, MI, etc.).

Bolded: I think you're right, but I don't know that this refutes the author's point. Bush took the foreign neoconservative policy that was so prevalent in the think tank world and fused it with a Wilsonian idealism to make a weirdly impossible and impracticable ideological foreign policy hybrid. But even the Wilsonian aspect wasn't far off from what the think tanks were peddling; in fact, most of the purveyors and architects of the Iraq war were think tank guys through and through. The isolationists and the more cautious voices of conservativism at the time were the journal and magazine writers, notably William F. Buckley, Jr. and George Will among them.  

I would subscribe to a Rock du Jour, without the inane headlines. I like some of the rock&ramble headlines, but save those for issues and manic phases.

But you real conservatives have got to dump Trump. You gotta be like the Fatherlanders in Nazi Germany - treat the phenomenon for the fart of populism it is (a squillion times more toxic then, of course) but plan for its end, not its perpetuation. Supporting a clueless narcissist just because media & knuckleheads squirted him to the head of your party is an instant disqualifier of anyone as a debate partner.

Long story short on that op-ed (and that's all it is): That's a victory lap by a guy that wants the days of Trumpism to be in the sun, and given The Bulwark's brand of #NeverTrump, is at least timely.  

I would subscribe to a Rock du Jour, without the inane headlines.
Just trying to explain what the article of the day is and its content. No mania really. Sober for a month and two cups of coffee this morning. On my way to an appointment soon. 

Kind of casual.  

Bolded: I think you're right, but I don't know that this refutes the author's point. Bush took the foreign neoconservative policy that was so prevalent in the think tank world and fused it with a Wilsonian idealism to make a weirdly impossible and impracticable ideological foreign policy hybrid. But even the Wilsonian aspect wasn't far off from what the think tanks were peddling; in fact, most of the purveyors and architects of the Iraq war were think tank guys through and through. The isolationists and the more cautious voices of conservativism at the time were the journal and magazine writers, notably William F. Buckley, Jr. and George Will among them.  
Ok, maybe we're saying the same thing. The conservative foreign policy seemed to me to be Colin Powell's - the DOD General version - that the rules for foreign engagement needed to simple and stark. But most especially certain lessons of the Vietnam War badly needed to be learned. The key to the Pentagon Papers wasn't free speech or transparency, it was that the DOD and the IC knew in ca 1968 that the war's goals could not be attained. So, do not lie to the American people about that and do not twist intelligence publicly. Well that's what happened in 2003 (and not just by the GOP I might add). - That concept, the Powell doctrine, was and still would be IMO popular. The problem of course is the progenitor himself threw himself onto his own sword before the UN to effect its evisceration.

But you real conservatives have got to dump Trump.
It'd be for the good of real conservatives, yes. It's been a weird phenomenon to watch him keep conservatism at bay with his judicial appointments. 

For all the disgust with his temperament and naiveness, he's got the major figures that would be otherwise against him in lockstep because of his appointments in the judiciary and his pragmatism regarding foreign policy, IMHO. As mentioned upthread, he's the antidote to Bush's Wilsonian ideals, which has great appeal to the more isolationist/detente crowd that populates the conservative movement.  

Ok, maybe we're saying the same thing. The conservative foreign policy seemed to me to be Colin Powell's - the DOD General version - that the rules for foreign engagement needed to simple and stark. But most especially certain lessons of the Vietnam War badly needed to be learned. The key to the Pentagon Papers wasn't free speech or transparency, it was that the DOD and the IC knew in ca 1968 that the war's goals could not be attained. So, do not lie to the American people about that and do not twist intelligence publicly. Well that's what happened in 2003 (and not just by the GOP I might add). - That concept, the Powell doctrine, was and still would be IMO popular. The problem of course is the progenitor himself threw himself on to his own sword before the UN to effect its evisceration.
Yeah, I think we are. Even I got swept up in the heady Wilsonian leanings of Bush mainly because -- and I think Bush did the same -- I trusted the think tank world. Never, given the foreign policy premises coming out of D.C. think tanks from the early nineties onward, would one have imagined the utterly intractable hatred the West faced in Islamic countries when it came to being seen as liberator vs. colonizer/war criminals.adversaries.  

Cool beans
Point noted, though. I'll try to be more succinct. I figure a longer headline is better than a misleading one and wasted time clicking on an article. 

Thanks for the compliment about potentially wanting to read, too.  

eta* Headline changed. Thanks for the feedback, wikkid.  

But Trump support is an instant disqualifier. History will prove Dubya to have been 100x more ruinous than the current president, but support of him wasn't intellectually disqualifying because he was at least tacitly representing his party's aims. But the man in the White House is Pee Wee Herman with his hair on fire and those who don't pray for the demise of this anomaly simply can't be taken seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread