What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WWYD: Music Store incident (1 Viewer)

Would you

• Take it and run, their fault

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Go back in and pay. Honesty is best policy

Votes: 42 84.0%

• Total voters

AcerFC

Footballguy
I want my kids to play instruments. They were each given a choice. My son chose drums, my daughter chose piano. Each starts lessons in Septemeber. I will also be taking Guitar lessons so I hope I can help them with setting a good example for practice etc.

Anyway, I go to the music store to buy my son drums and my daughter a keyboard. Each is a starter instrument. 

I leave the store with everything we need in tow. I look at the receipt for the first time in the car and they did not charge me for the keyboard. 

The keyboard was $179 and I chose 3 months, no interest financing because why not. 

What is the play. Sorry music store, you screwed up. Or go back in and let them know.

What I did in spoiler

I went back in and let them know. I joked I should get a discount for honesty, but no dice. I was with my kids and felt I should set a good example for them. But I have no issues with the guy who says, their fault. Had I gotten home and noticed then, not sure what I would have done to be honest. 

would've done what you did. and hoped, like you did, that the honesty would be rewarded with something- coupon, music book, guitar picks... something. 

what kind of drum kit and keyboard did you get? weighted keys? mine are on drums, keyboard and guitar. IIRC, we started with some dumpy casio keyboard thing and quickly switched to a weighted key keyboard- for about what you paid- at guitar center. they're good at matching prices. musician's friend is a good site for this stuff too.

No question you should go back. Even if you got home and it was a week later when you realized it.

Independently owned music store is one thing. 

Let me give another hypothetical;

your insurance company sends you money directly on a claim they've already paid, let's call it $1,750... Cash the check?

your insurance company sends you money directly on a claim they've already paid, let's call it $1,750... Cash the check?
Hellllllll yeah.

Cash the check, don't spend the money. 

I want my kids to play instruments. They were each given a choice. My son chose drums, my daughter chose piano. Each starts lessons in Septemeber. I will also be taking Guitar lessons so I hope I can help them with setting a good example for practice etc.

Anyway, I go to the music store to buy my son drums and my daughter a keyboard. Each is a starter instrument. 

I leave the store with everything we need in tow. I look at the receipt for the first time in the car and they did not charge me for the keyboard. 

The keyboard was $179 and I chose 3 months, no interest financing because why not. 

What is the play. Sorry music store, you screwed up. Or go back in and let them know.

What I did in spoiler

I went back in and let them know. I joked I should get a discount for honesty, but no dice. I was with my kids and felt I should set a good example for them. But I have no issues with the guy who says, their fault. Had I gotten home and noticed then, not sure what I would have done to be honest. 
What would you have done if it had been at some place like a Walmart? 

would've done what you did. and hoped, like you did, that the honesty would be rewarded with something- coupon, music book, guitar picks... something. 

what kind of drum kit and keyboard did you get? weighted keys? mine are on drums, keyboard and guitar. IIRC, we started with some dumpy casio keyboard thing and quickly switched to a weighted key keyboard- for about what you paid- at guitar center. they're good at matching prices. musician's friend is a good site for this stuff too.
My daughter got the yamaha piaggerio NP 12. I know when she hits the keys harder or lighter, it affects the sound. 

My son got a Quest Love pocket kit by Ludwig. No idea if I set it up right but he seems to like it so far. 

My daughter got the yamaha piaggerio NP 12. I know when she hits the keys harder or lighter, it affects the sound. 

My son got a Quest Love pocket kit by Ludwig. No idea if I set it up right but he seems to like it so far. 
You get the fro pick with that?

Of course not.

Are these really legit questions?

I would have done what you did as well, but as a side note it is poor form by the cashier/manager or whoever was at the store not to do something for you. Even if I was the cashier and had no authority to give you anything I would have at least given you 10 bucks out of my pocket. These stores have cameras and when something like this goes missing without being paid for they watch the tape and find out what is wrong and then hold the person responsible for payment.

What I did in spoiler

You go back and pay and teach your kids a valuable lesson.

Of course not.

Are these really legit questions?
True story:

Many years back, prob 8 or so, I was making a lot less money than I am currently. One day, 2 checks show up in my mailbox from my previous insurer - these checks were substantially more than the example I provided. As someone in their mid-20's, this was a lot of money. I ended up just shredding them after tons of thought. Never even called the insurance company, #### them, I'm not going to call and waste my time for their ####up - so end of story, right? Wrong!

2-3 years ago, I get a certified letter from this insurer stating if I didn't claim my payments from them within 4 weeks, it would be going to the state's unclaimed funds department. I decided to ignore this and see what happens - 2 months later I contacted the unclaimed funds department and they most certainly had a healthy amount of cash waiting for yours truly. I had the funds a month after that. 

I asked this question bc I received another check from my current insurer for the amount I mentioned  just last week. No clue what it's for, but something is off. It's been sitting in my drawer since. Debating just ignoring it and hoping to collect $1,750 in about 8 years.

True story:

Many years back, prob 8 or so, I was making a lot less money than I am currently. One day, 2 checks show up in my mailbox from my previous insurer - these checks were substantially more than the example I provided. As someone in their mid-20's, this was a lot of money. I ended up just shredding them after tons of thought. Never even called the insurance company, #### them, I'm not going to call and waste my time for their ####up - so end of story, right? Wrong!

2-3 years ago, I get a certified letter from this insurer stating if I didn't claim my payments from them within 4 weeks, it would be going to the state's unclaimed funds department. I decided to ignore this and see what happens - 2 months later I contacted the unclaimed funds department and they most certainly had a healthy amount of cash waiting for yours truly. I had the funds a month after that. 

I asked this question bc I received another check from my current insurer for the amount I mentioned  just last week. No clue what it's for, but something is off. It's been sitting in my drawer since. Debating just ignoring it and hoping to collect $1,750 in about 8 years.
Well, if they are good to twist your arm to take it, then all bets are off. But I'd have a hard time just cashing it and going on my merry way.

I've done both.   Went back in and also kept it.

Depending on how nice the cashier was or how far I got.  If I got all the way home not sure I drive all the way back

Johnny Rock said:
This is going to suck when you get the bill from the finance company, with interest from day one, in 91 days. 
It will be paid off by day 91. Thx

Perhaps I am, but ya, local merchant for sure I go back in and pay. Walmart. Would I turn around and say - excuse me...you didn't charge me for this and I want to pay? Nah.

Here's my real life example - on Thanksgiving night probably 5-6yrs ago - whenever they started opening their stores on that night, it was a madhouse. I'm buying a big screen TV for like 700. I get to the register and hand the gal my ticket. I'm trying to use my AmEx to pay and she keeps having problems. At the end of the transaction she hands me a gift card and I ask what it's for. She says to give it to the person at the back where I physically pick up the tv. I offer it to the people back there and they say it must be a rebate card, nothing they need, and to keep it. I say ok and later I check the gift card and it ends up having the entire amount of the tv on it. 

Did I go back in? Hell no. I said score, free tv! And I'd do that again 100 times out of a 100 given the same circumstances.

Johnny Rock said:
This is going to suck when you get the bill from the finance company, with interest from day one, in 91 days. 
I meant no offense. I was trying to be funny but it failed. I thought you went back in to pay cash for the keyboard, whereby you'd find out later that the reason you weren't charged initially was because it was financed, thus being charged twice and having to deal with a refund/credit later.

You did the right thing.

I don't know if forcing your kid to play an instrument is the right thing, though. Just my  :2cents:

Johnny Rock said:
Yes that extra $8 is going to be brutal. 

My wife was shopping last week and saw a Baby carrier that was returned and put back for sale with the price marked down from $160.00 to $120.00. It looked like the kid had spit up all over it and never got cleaned. Other than that practically brand new. She removed the tag and took it to the customer service desk to negotiate a new price. The clerk did not believe her it was for sale and insisted that someone had left it there and was placing it in lost and found. She asked me to go to the store the next day to claim it.

I had no issue picking up the carrier for my wife. I would have had no problems taking the keyboard home. We're no angels.

Users who are viewing this thread