What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
How awesome is this?

The show, which will be 10 half-hour episodes, picks up three decades after the 1984 All-Valley Karate Tournament, according to Variety. Zabka reprises his role as a down-on-his-luck Johnny Lawrence, who reopens the Cobra Kai karate dojo, reigniting his rivalry with a now-successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio).

LaRusso, however, must go on without the advice of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi. The actor who played him, Pat Morita, died in 2005.

The new show brings together writer Josh Heald (from “Hot Tub Time Machine”) and producers Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg (from the “Harold & Kumar” movies).

“'Cobra Kai' will be a true continuation of the original films – packed with comedy, heart, and thrilling fight scenes," Heald, Hurwitz and Schlossberg said in a joint statement.

The show, pitched by Macchio and Zabka, received interest from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and AMC, according to The Hollywood Reporter. While the movie focused on Macchio’s character, the new series will include more detail of both Johnny and Daniel’s story.

"The humor comes from two guys, who at 50 years old, still have an ax to grind," Macchio said at the Television Critics Association Friday, according to USA Today. “Johnny just can't let go; he's still a teenager at heart."

Well that’s a reunion we can’t wait to see!
I'm in!!

:popcorn:

Honda. I started a thread about this week's ago bromigos
I think we just weren't ready for it yet at that point...

Mr. Miyagi: Now, ready?

Daniel: Yeah, I guess so.

Mr. Miyagi: [sighs] Daniel-san, must talk. [they both kneel] Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, [makes squish gesture] get squish just like grape. Here, karate, same thing. Either you karate do "yes", or karate do "no". You karate do "guess so", [makes squish gesture] just like grape. Understand?

Daniel: Yeah, I understand.

Mr. Miyagi: Now, ready?

Daniel: Yeah, I'm ready.

Whoever cast the crew from the Cobra Kai is the most talented person in Hollywood history...just nailed every single one of them...

Am I alone in saying that the Karate Kid movie wasn't even good in the first place?  I know that Grandpa FFA is probably with me but I tried to watch the original a decade ago and it was garbage then.

no one likes karate kid and mr bromagi more than the old swcer brohans but look there are a number of great montage sceenes out there from the 80s including the lets completely rebuilt a sailboat in less than three minutes from summer rental set to the soothing sounds of a jimmy buffet instrumental next you have the lets set up a whole barn dance and also somehow get ready for that dance and then go in the three minute span of kenny loggins im free and finally you have revenge of the nerds where they deep clean an entire fraternity house and then completely renovate it all in the just over three minute span of one foot in front of the other by bone symphony listen bromigos i love mr. bromagi and the all valley championship montage but the 80s make it a hard choice that is all i am sayin take that to the bank

I'll watch, but have pretty darn low expectations.

The idea that Johnny still has an axe to grind with Daniel seems odd though,  it flies in the face of the end of KK 1.

I felt like the KK producers missed a huge opportunity though by not having Johnny back for KK3... that movie is so horrible with the worst ending fight scene you could possibly script.

I have never seen Next Karate Kid in its entirety, is it worth my time?  I do still mourn the loss of Mr. Myagi to this day

we can all agree that kumiko is super hot though right i means man when she is running around the to the sweet mellow sounds of peter setera it doesnt get any better than that bromigos take that to the castle far away brohans 

I'll give it a try but I have a gut feeling this is going to be incredibly lame (and not in a "it's so lame that it's funny" kind of way).  Would have much rather seen something that teamed them up (taking down pimps and drug dealers with karate one street at a time) or something where Zabka had to pull LaRusso out of the gutter somehow (Zabka cruising for chicks sees a weathered and homeless LaRusso begging for quarters).  The "bitter rivals get older and are still bitter rivals" thing has been done to DEATH and was lame even when done by people way more talented than these guys.

Too bad Al Molinari passed away...they could have done a reverse Arnold's and made him the new Mr. Miyagi...

I'll give it a try but I have a gut feeling this is going to be incredibly lame (and not in a "it's so lame that it's funny" kind of way).  Would have much rather seen something that teamed them up (taking down pimps and drug dealers with karate one street at a time) or something where Zabka had to pull LaRusso out of the gutter somehow (Zabka cruising for chicks sees a weathered and homeless LaRusso begging for quarters).  The "bitter rivals get older and are still bitter rivals" thing has been done to DEATH and was lame even when done by people way more talented than these guys.
I do like your idea better..  teaming up,  using Karate to clean up the streets,  being a ref for the all valley under 18 karate tournament

I do like your idea better..  teaming up,  using Karate to clean up the streets,  being a ref for the all valley under 18 karate tournament
There's a million ways to go with it.  Open with the end of the original Karate Kid and cut to them being (insert - Cops, Stoner roommates, Car salesmen) or put into some weird situation together (drugged and taken to a trillionaire's island for an Enter the Dragon type tournament, etc.).  Heck, I'd even go for a "mockumentary" on the fictional characters that ended with them in one last classic battle.

Picture Daniel hiring Private Eye Johnny Lawrence to help him find his kidnapped mother.  The bar scene alone writes itself.

It can't be worse than doing a Karate Kid remake that has nothing to do with karate.

If I have to buy a subscription to YouTube Red to watch this, they can shove this show all the way up their collective ######. 

Users who are viewing this thread