What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel (1 Viewer)

The great thing about this show, is that (aside from he who will not be named *spoiler*) there are no true bad guys.

Johnny and Daniel are both "good" guys in their own way. So are Robby and Miguel, but they also have shades of grey and do "bad" things. It's more nuanced than I expected from a show like this.

Can't wait for season 3 as I'm expecting some big "new" (read: old) faces. 
This was my favorite part of it by far. 

The great thing about this show, is that (aside from he who will not be named *spoiler*) there are no true bad guys.

Johnny and Daniel are both "good" guys in their own way. So are Robby and Miguel, but they also have shades of grey and do "bad" things. It's more nuanced than I expected from a show like this.

Can't wait for season 3 as I'm expecting some big "new" (read: old) faces. 
Just finished both seasons.  To me Daniel comes out as a tool (and bad guy).  Johnny is trying to do the right thing and Daniel keeps going off without the facts (easy to say from a distance I know) and causes most of the problems.  Fight scene for S2 final was waaaay too long, needed to have Tori scar Daniel's girls face or something to really give him something to regret and have the wife get pissed...anyhow really liked the series, the 80s music and one liners had me hooked!

After plowing through both seasons, I went back and watched all of the movies with Pat Morita. Then came the remake. My seven-year-old liked it, and there were certain aspects that were OK. Jackie Chan wasn’t nearly as likable as I thought he would be though, and Jaden Smith was, shall we say, miscast.

Also, it’s kind of weird having a movie called ‘The Karate Kid’ that does not have any karate in it. Technicality, but still...

Just finished both seasons.  To me Daniel comes out as a tool (and bad guy).  Johnny is trying to do the right thing and Daniel keeps going off without the facts (easy tvo say from a distance I know) and causes most of the problems.  Fight scene for S2 final was waaaay too long, needed to have Tori scar Daniel's girls face or something to really give him something to regret and have the wife get pissed...anyhow really liked the series, the 80s music and one liners had me hooked!
The entire show is based on this, from every character.  It’s like a Three’s Company episode.  getting a little old by the end of season 2.

After plowing through both seasons, I went back and watched all of the movies with Pat Morita. Then came the remake. My seven-year-old liked it, and there were certain aspects that were OK. Jackie Chan wasn’t nearly as likable as I thought he would be though, and Jaden Smith was, shall we say, miscast.

Also, it’s kind of weird having a movie called ‘The Karate Kid’ that does not have any karate in it. Technicality, but still...
It's called, "The Kung Fu Dream" in China.. :)

Really don't like this show.  Daniel, along with Johnny's son, make me want to smash my tv.  Johnny and Miguel are cool.  The writing is pretty bad too.  Cancer patient is on his death bed, but can handle a heavy motorcycle and win in a bar fight.  Oof.

Just finished both seasons.  To me Daniel comes out as a tool (and bad guy).  Johnny is trying to do the right thing and Daniel keeps going off without the facts (easy tvo say from a distance I know) and causes most of the problems.  Fight scene for S2 final was waaaay too long, needed to have Tori scar Daniel's girls face or something to really give him something to regret and have the wife get pissed...anyhow really liked the series, the 80s music and one liners had me hooked!
The entire show is based on this, from every character.  It’s like a Three’s Company episode.  getting a little old by the end of season 2.
Finished last night. I had the exact same thought. It is starting to get tiresome. 

In for season 3, but more blind/impulsive "oh, so THAT'S the way it is" / "no wait, you don't understand" will probably end it for me - it's an annoying plot device. Nostalgia can only carry you so far.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see silver and Barnes show up.  Why the hell not.  Barnes was badass
Eh, Barnes was not a good character. There was no nuance to his character whatsoever. He was just an angry and rage-filled bad guy constantly screaming and wanting to kick someone's ###. 

Now...if they bring back Terry Silver, he better still have that ponytail. :lol:

Ghost Rider said:
Now...if they bring back Terry Silver, he better still have that ponytail. :lol:
In the 90's he was like the B-movie version of Steven Seagal. He was in a whole bunch of crappy Cinemax action movies with poor fight choreography and cheesy sex scenes with the loud saxophone on the soundtrack. 

Just finished watching seasons 1 and 2.  Great stuff. 

In the episode where Johnny meets back up with old Cobra Kai (biker bar, etc), I found it interesting that the character who dies, Tommy, is (1) put in a body bag in the episode and (2) the actor, Rob Garrison, died in real life.  It's not clear from his wiki if this was coincidence or intentional.  Seems like he died pretty quickly so probably unintentional.  I would have thought they would have posted a memoriam at the end of the ep, maybe I missed it.   

Just finished watching seasons 1 and 2.  Great stuff. 

In the episode where Johnny meets back up with old Cobra Kai (biker bar, etc), I found it interesting that the character who dies, Tommy, is (1) put in a body bag in the episode and (2) the actor, Rob Garrison, died in real life.  It's not clear from his wiki if this was coincidence or intentional.  Seems like he died pretty quickly so probably unintentional.  I would have thought they would have posted a memoriam at the end of the ep, maybe I missed it.   
It was intentional. He had been sick for quite some time.

It was intentional. He had been sick for quite some time.
Don't think it was

Cobra Kai" co-creator Jon Hurwitz paid tribute to Garrison

I'm heartened to know how much Rob enjoyed and cherished his time working on Cobra Kai. We were looking forward to seeing his smiling face again this season, as we had plans for Tommy to ride again. But he'll remain in our thoughts every day as we strive to make him proud. #RIP

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think it was

I'm heartened to know how much Rob enjoyed and cherished his time working on Cobra Kai. We were looking forward to seeing his smiling face again this season, as we had plans for Tommy to ride again. But he'll remain in our thoughts every day as we strive to make him proud. #RIP
This is confusing.  As if they are gonna do a princess leia thing. 

So I just watched the first season, so this is where I'm at.  Miguel should be the hero here.  I hope Robbie gets a redemption story.  I hope Johnny becomes a good dad and Daniel admits he was over the top.  But mainly I want his spoiled kid to get taught some manners.  Very good first season, I hope the figure at the end of season 1 doesn't ruin it.
i am a little worried about this.  Haven't started Season 2 yet, but people seem generally ok with how it went.  I mean a story of "bullies suck, you nerds are really cool" can really only last so long.  There needs to be friction there.  

From reading some of the discussion on season 1 in the media and other places, it's as if the original movie wanted to show Daniel as a little more rough needing redemption and Robbie was the re-edit of that story to fit the narrative that was intended in the first movie.   Robbie to me was the weakest acted role of all the kids so it was hard to get past that, he spent most of the time with a blank stare and he had very little actual dialogue for the screen time he got.    I find him easy to cheer against.
So I just finished Season 2, and wow I did not expect that ending.  Not sure how I feel about, but hope a Season 3 is around the corner.

Don't think it was

This is confusing.  As if they are gonna do a princess leia thing. 
Yeah this link said it may have been via flashbacks.  Seems a very weird thing to do.

https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-tommy-rob-garrison-death-cancer-explained/

So I just finished Season 2, and wow I did not expect that ending.  Not sure how I feel about, but hope a Season 3 is around the corner.
And a season 4.

I mean with TV series so much can be explained about the remaining series seasons on tap.  They have two more seasons to fill.  You have to have some plot that is outside of nostalgic 80s references and nerd redemption arcs.

Brony said:
Makes sense. I would find it odd if they knew he was dying irl and then have the script have Tommy die. 
One story about this said he knew he wasn't gonna make it long but how long was tbd and the body bag thing was his idea. 

Just finished both seasons.  To me Daniel comes out as a tool (and bad guy).  Johnny is trying to do the right thing and Daniel keeps going off without the facts (easy to say from a distance I know) and causes most of the problems.  Fight scene for S2 final was waaaay too long, needed to have Tori scar Daniel's girls face or something to really give him something to regret and have the wife get pissed...anyhow really liked the series, the 80s music and one liners had me hooked!
I also just finished watching both over the past 2 weeks. Pretty much the same take.

Small rant.  I hate netflix sometimes.  I read a review and recognized I missed a whole episode because I guess netflix thought I watched it.  So got to loop backwards.  Cleared up a lot of stupid questions I had so that's nice.  

Big fan of the show. Lot more funny liners than I expected. 

The Karate Kid is about a 70 year old maintenance man who teaches a kid karate by having him do household chores and later, single-handedly beats up five black belts. Then later, the two of them travel to Okinawa where the kid is forced to fight to the death. When our hero has a chance to end the life of his nemesis, he honks his nose. And some of you are complaining that Cobra Kai is not realistic?

I had avoided this show expecting it to just be dumb nostalgia and I never liked Daniel. Daniel is still a tool, but I'm glad a friend convinced me to watch it. 

Is it just me or did Amanda quickly go from very unlikeable to one of the more likeable people on the show? 

Season Three premieres on January 8th.

Elisabeth Shue was on the set of the show near the end of 2019, but that is all that has been confirmed. I think back to when Jane Kaczmarek was spotted in New Mexico on the "Breaking Bad" set and that set off a flurry of speculation regarding her involvement with the show. It turned out she just stopped by to visit Bryan Cranston. It could be the same with Shue.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Season Three premieres on January 8th.

Elisabeth Shue was on the set of the show near the end of 2019, but that is all that has been confirmed. I think back to when Jane Kaczmarek was spotted in New Mexico on the "Breaking Bad" set and that set off a flurry of speculation regarding her involvement with the show. It turned out she just stopped by to visit Bryan Cranston. It could be the same with Shue.
Doubtful. They had that thing at the end of the last season where Johnny drunkenly sent Ally a friend request and after he’d thrown his phone away you see that she accepted it.

I had avoided this show expecting it to just be dumb nostalgia and I never liked Daniel. Daniel is still a tool, but I'm glad a friend convinced me to watch it. 

Is it just me or did Amanda quickly go from very unlikeable to one of the more likeable people on the show? 
CoWorker convinced me to watch this. I was expecting some bad remake or Netflix trying to cash in on some weird 80s fun. Really enjoyed it and the music played in it is great. All the old stuff I listen too still 

Damn this looks so fun again.

Still no hint of Allie.  Is the Tomita sighting a replacement?
I think she is confirmed to be in it.

My prediction is that they are going to give us the Luke Skywalker in Force Awakens reveal treatment in the last episode to set her up for season 4.  That cheese ball suit Johnny is wearing at the end will be to a class reunion and he will see Ali there.

No Allie, but as you mentioned, we have some folks coming in from Okinawa!  Not sure about the Tango and Cash stuff. Even cheese has a limit.
There's substantial smoke surrounding Ali coming back this season.  If only for a part of an episode.

I started a re-watch last night to get ready for season 3.  I smiled through out episodes 1 and 2.  This looks like it will be an enjoyable re-watch.

Users who are viewing this thread