Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gianmarco

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Corporation said:

So I just watched the first season, so this is where I'm at.  Miguel should be the hero here.  I hope Robbie gets a redemption story.  I hope Johnny becomes a good dad and Daniel admits he was over the top.  But mainly I want his spoiled kid to get taught some manners.  Very good first season, I hope the figure at the end of season 1 doesn't ruin it.

i am a little worried about this.  Haven't started Season 2 yet, but people seem generally ok with how it went.  I mean a story of "bullies suck, you nerds are really cool" can really only last so long.  There needs to be friction there.  

From reading some of the discussion on season 1 in the media and other places, it's as if the original movie wanted to show Daniel as a little more rough needing redemption and Robbie was the re-edit of that story to fit the narrative that was intended in the first movie.   Robbie to me was the weakest acted role of all the kids so it was hard to get past that, he spent most of the time with a blank stare and he had very little actual dialogue for the screen time he got.    I find him easy to cheer against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about this show, is that (aside from he who will not be named *spoiler*) there are no true bad guys.

Johnny and Daniel are both "good" guys in their own way. So are Robby and Miguel, but they also have shades of grey and do "bad" things. It's more nuanced than I expected from a show like this.


Can't wait for season 3 as I'm expecting some big "new" (read: old) faces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

The great thing about this show, is that (aside from he who will not be named *spoiler*) there are no true bad guys.

Johnny and Daniel are both "good" guys in their own way. So are Robby and Miguel, but they also have shades of grey and do "bad" things. It's more nuanced than I expected from a show like this.


Can't wait for season 3 as I'm expecting some big "new" (read: old) faces. 

This was my favorite part of it by far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

The great thing about this show, is that (aside from he who will not be named *spoiler*) there are no true bad guys.

Johnny and Daniel are both "good" guys in their own way. So are Robby and Miguel, but they also have shades of grey and do "bad" things. It's more nuanced than I expected from a show like this.


Can't wait for season 3 as I'm expecting some big "new" (read: old) faces. 

Just finished both seasons.  To me Daniel comes out as a tool (and bad guy).  Johnny is trying to do the right thing and Daniel keeps going off without the facts (easy to say from a distance I know) and causes most of the problems.  Fight scene for S2 final was waaaay too long, needed to have Tori scar Daniel's girls face or something to really give him something to regret and have the wife get pissed...anyhow really liked the series, the 80s music and one liners had me hooked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After plowing through both seasons, I went back and watched all of the movies with Pat Morita. Then came the remake. My seven-year-old liked it, and there were certain aspects that were OK. Jackie Chan wasn’t nearly as likable as I thought he would be though, and Jaden Smith was, shall we say, miscast.

Also, it’s kind of weird having a movie called ‘The Karate Kid’ that does not have any karate in it. Technicality, but still...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yak651 said:

Just finished both seasons.  To me Daniel comes out as a tool (and bad guy).  Johnny is trying to do the right thing and Daniel keeps going off without the facts (easy tvo say from a distance I know) and causes most of the problems.  Fight scene for S2 final was waaaay too long, needed to have Tori scar Daniel's girls face or something to really give him something to regret and have the wife get pissed...anyhow really liked the series, the 80s music and one liners had me hooked!

The entire show is based on this, from every character.  It’s like a Three’s Company episode.  getting a little old by the end of season 2.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Honus said:

Also, it’s kind of weird having a movie called ‘The Karate Kid’ that does not have any karate in it. Technicality, but still...

THANK YOU!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Honus said:

After plowing through both seasons, I went back and watched all of the movies with Pat Morita. Then came the remake. My seven-year-old liked it, and there were certain aspects that were OK. Jackie Chan wasn’t nearly as likable as I thought he would be though, and Jaden Smith was, shall we say, miscast.

Also, it’s kind of weird having a movie called ‘The Karate Kid’ that does not have any karate in it. Technicality, but still...

It's called, "The Kung Fu Dream" in China.. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really don't like this show.  Daniel, along with Johnny's son, make me want to smash my tv.  Johnny and Miguel are cool.  The writing is pretty bad too.  Cancer patient is on his death bed, but can handle a heavy motorcycle and win in a bar fight.  Oof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tolstoy said:
12 hours ago, yak651 said:

Just finished both seasons.  To me Daniel comes out as a tool (and bad guy).  Johnny is trying to do the right thing and Daniel keeps going off without the facts (easy tvo say from a distance I know) and causes most of the problems.  Fight scene for S2 final was waaaay too long, needed to have Tori scar Daniel's girls face or something to really give him something to regret and have the wife get pissed...anyhow really liked the series, the 80s music and one liners had me hooked!

The entire show is based on this, from every character.  It’s like a Three’s Company episode.  getting a little old by the end of season 2.

Finished last night. I had the exact same thought. It is starting to get tiresome. 

In for season 3, but more blind/impulsive "oh, so THAT'S the way it is" / "no wait, you don't understand" will probably end it for me - it's an annoying plot device. Nostalgia can only carry you so far.  

Edited by jwb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.