What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Contemplating job offer in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (1 Viewer)

the moops

Footballguy
Salary would be 2-3 times what I am currently making. On top of salary, housing, insurance, relocation expenses, flights back to the states a few times a year, and some other perks included. My wife would also get placed in a job that pays her nearly double her salary.

It is a two year commitment. Would be enough money to return to the states and be able to pay off mortgage and probably take a year off to contemplate our next move.

My initial thought was no ####### way would I want to live in Dubai, or Abu Dhabi. But maybe? Dunno.

Anyone done anything like this? Would this interest any of you? Who has thoughts on living in UAE?

Is your wife allowed to drive or talk in Dubai?

If not...id probably offer my company money to let us go.
Yes and yes.

But no kissing in the streets. Not sure about hand holding.

Lots of western restaurants and shopping. Get a club membership, pref in a place that has a beach - get the company to pay

Westerners live in compounds mostly and hang out with each other.

But don't expect to the among the rich. The rich are the Emirati. You would just be the hired help.

I would certainly not be among the rich. While a doubling or tripling of my salary is awesome for me, keep in mind that I am an artist and don't make too much to begin with :)

I would be working for a University over there, so not really a company per se. 

Serious answer, I've got a 6yr old, and I'd have a hard time moving her.  Could your kids handle that adjustment ok?

Never been, but Dubai is probably the only place in the whole region that I would even consider for a moment an opportunity like that.

I have a friend who works there. They moved because his wife was offered a job. He went without one. She's a nurse and apparently they pay out the butt for medical personnel. He's likes it there. They've no plans to leave as long as she keeps making bank.

Do it. If you and your wife are clearly westerners they pretty much leave you alone and expect you to be heathens. 

Definitely some adjustments to make but loads of expats out there too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Would your kids be in school with other western kids. Or thrown into general population?
Likely IB schools, get the university to pay.

Also, it can be crazy hot. A friend of mine lived there for two years. in the summer there are 120 degree days - and it's humid (since it's on the coast)

He was a redhead so factor 50 sun screen was a daily thing (was as in he's bald now)

No brainer - do it and don't hesitate.  I'm a US Foreign Service Officer and I've been there many times.  Raised two kids in overseas schools. Very stable country for that part of the world.  You can find international schools with US curriculum.  When kids are young (elementary school are) they transition much easier than when they are older (middle & high school).  Take advice from people who have actually lived there or know first hand the region - not from internet folks who have never lived anywhere outside the US. 

If you can put your ego in check a bit and be okay with being a second-class citizen in an area that may not see you as an equal... go for it. Seems like two years of your families life to not only get caught up but to get ahead a little. Kids are 4/6... too young to even know what is going on so they won't have a say. Come back in two years with life changing experiences and travel experience all for free. Seems like a no brainer. Rent out your house and see you in two years.

I think this is a slam dunk. 2 years of doubling (more) your household income AND significantly lowering your household expenses. That can make a huge difference in life for the rest of your life is you don't just burn the cash. Heck, you could use this as a way to build an early retirement. 

On top of that this is a great opportunity to break the mold and have some adventures. Living out of the country for a couple of years is by itself a huge difference but then think of all the travel you could do! 

There are a ton of expats in Dubai so it won't be like you are the only Americans and/or English speaking westerners around. 

I have a 6, 4 and 1 year old. If I was offered this opportunity, I would do it without question. 

I have a friend who works there. They moved because his wife was offered a job. He went without one. She's a nurse and apparently they pay out the butt for medical personnel. He's likes it there. They've no plans to leave as long as she keeps making bank.
What kind of job did he get once they moved there?

Salary would be 2-3 times what I am currently making. On top of salary, housing, insurance, relocation expenses, flights back to the states a few times a year, and some other perks included. My wife would also get placed in a job that pays her nearly double her salary.

It is a two year commitment. Would be enough money to return to the states and be able to pay off mortgage and probably take a year off to contemplate our next move.

My initial thought was no ####### way would I want to live in Dubai, or Abu Dhabi. But maybe? Dunno.

Anyone done anything like this? Would this interest any of you? Who has thoughts on living in UAE?
Wild card is the wife (and kids?). I lived overseas 8 years as a kid and it was a great experience, but the Middle East is not a forgiving place especially for women. Think a lot of people in this thread don't truly appreciate the true tradeoff.

But good luck.

My :2cents: is it sounds very intriguing. Money saving for the future opportunity is fascinating. The idea of travel back to the US couple times a year is positive also; although it might also be great for you to meet family in a third location (Egypt, Far East or something else) or to just travel by yourselves. Having small children living in a foreign country for a couple years would not be an issue for them. It's not like you're taking a HS student away from their friends, kids of that age have kids moving in and out of their classes all the time. I have friends that work for the gov't in differing places, Caribbean and China, and their kids do fine. The family in China has teenage boys (one just headed off to college in the US this year) and via FB they seem to be doing well. The family in the Caribbean (Jamaica - horrible place to have to live!) has children younger than yours, he works for the State Dept, and I don't think the kids have ever really lived in the US.

What you need to do (and I'm sure you are) is to investigate the quality of life in the area for your family. As others have mentioned the FFA isn't the best source of info in the universe. If you want, I can ask my friends if they know anyone in that area for info.

I'd do it for sure.

Two years, if it sucks you at least did it and made a bunch of cash for your troubles.

If you like it you also just happen to make a ton more money.

Seems like a no brainer.

Good luck.

I would take that offer in a heartbeat. I've always wanted to see Dubai. Sounds like a life-changing opportunity. 

For two years?  Absolutely would do it, even with the kids.  Double/tripling my annual salary for a couple of years would put me in such a ridiculously good place financially there's no way I could refuse that without questioning my own sanity.

Friend of my wife's and her husband(she a nurse, he a medical administrator) both did what you're contemplating about 5-6 years ago.  Wife was offered a great opportunity for a huge bump in pay(and a cut in day-to-day stress), and her husband found something over there in his field before they hit the ground.  Her husband has since passed, that was about 3 years back(freak congenital thing), but even after that happened my wife's friend chose to stay there and keep her job.   She loves it there. It's my understanding that she's basically surrounded by Westerners(not necessarily Americans, but certainly Westerners) almost 24/7 when not at work.  Tons of expats in Dubai.  She doesn't have kids, so maybe can't speak to anything related to that, but if you had any specific questions about living/working in Dubai I could probably run them past her.

What's your wife do, if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife is a project manager for a library system. Oversees arts and cultural programming for a bunch of counties.

I have a call scheduled for first thing in the morning to get exact details of salary and such. No formal offer has been given, but I expect it tomorrow, if not later in the week.

Honestly wasn't expecting such an overwhelming "do it" from you folks.

I have a friend who basically prints his own money, has a wife way hotter than he deserves, because he can speak Arabic. It would be a great opportunity for your kids to learn that language. It could open up their futures in remarkable ways. I would go. Good luck!

Wife is a project manager for a library system. Oversees arts and cultural programming for a bunch of counties.

I have a call scheduled for first thing in the morning to get exact details of salary and such. No formal offer has been given, but I expect it tomorrow, if not later in the week.

Honestly wasn't expecting such an overwhelming "do it" from you folks.
I think it sounds like an incredible opportunity that you only get once in a lifetime. You should take it. 

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Matter of fact, @Christo, if you can get any other info about nursing pay over there from your friend, I'd like to know.

Never been, but Dubai is probably the only place in the whole region that I would even consider for a moment an opportunity like that.
And Oman.

Yeah I'd do it but you have to put your family first.  Dubai probably a little better than Abu Dhabi for foreigners, it is the most liberal city in the Middle East but there still are many rules.  There is a lot to do there for families, activities, sports, shopping, etc.  Travel to and from is easy, every day life easy if you live there with public trans and the like. 

take it and run, especially if they are doing the visa work.  modern city, hot as hell, but right on the water.  modern, clean, western......put the kids in an international school and wa la!

I would do this in a heartbeat. 

My boss asked if I was open to relocation on Thursday - I said only international opportunities.  

I'm pretty sure I could live almost anywhere for two years.  Even if you hate everything about it, you could just stay in and watch movies / read / play games together. 

Users who are viewing this thread