What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

* Pick 9 in 12 team PPR League* (1 Viewer)

Efritch4

Footballguy
I have searched, and have not found a thread for people picking 9 this year. 

Has anybody drafted from this spot?  What strategy has worked, or what are you preparing to do with the first couple of rounds:  RB-WR, WR-RB, WR-WR, RB-RB OR other?

I'm thinking of going RB with the 1st pick if McCoy, Gordon, or Freeman is there, and then come back with a WR or Gronk in round 2. 

PPR here with TE premium:

Hoping for Freeman in the 1st. I'm assuming Julio, AJG, Brown and Beckham are all off the board. If they're there at 9, I'll likely take one of them and target Howard or Gurley in the 2nd. If I take Freeman, then I'm looking at Cooper or Dez or MThomas or maybe Gronk in the 2nd. In some mocks Jordy has slipped to me in the 2nd, which I'm a huge fan of. I like Rodgers in the 3rd if available, but that might be wishful thinking. I'm also assuming the rookie RBs and Zeke are off the board here. I don't love the RB options in the 3rd, so I don't think I can go WR-WR in the 1st 2 rounds.

ponchsox said:
I drafted #9 in a 12 team standard and ended up with Beckham/Ajayi/Cooks/Cook/Hunt
That is a ridiculous start!! How does ODB slip to pick 9?? I'd love to have those first 5 rounds

Drafted nine this weekend, wasn't psyched about slot.  PPR.  Ended up wtih Nelson/Gordon/Gronk/D Thomas/Hunt.     Could have been worse, don't love Thomas but he's solid there.

Biggest surprises in draft was how quickly RB dried up---teams who didn't have two early struggled.

Drafted nine this weekend, wasn't psyched about slot.  PPR.  Ended up wtih Nelson/Gordon/Gronk/D Thomas/Hunt.     Could have been worse, don't love Thomas but he's solid there.

Biggest surprises in draft was how quickly RB dried up---teams who didn't have two early struggled.
Whizz - 

I'm with you in thinking that in drafting from the 9 spot one of the first two picks should be an RB otherwise by the time it gets back to you in the 3rd round the RB pool could be 'dry'. 

ponchsox said:
I drafted #9 in a 12 team standard and ended up with Beckham/Ajayi/Cooks/Cook/Hunt
You clearly drafted before Edelman and Ware got hurt. Cooks is gone in the 2nd and Hunt in the 4th now.

Was not real happy with the 9th pick this year in my 20 year league.  This draft happened 2 Fridays ago, so before injuries, and news on Luck.  12 team, ppr, start 1,2,2,1,flex, k,def.  I like my team, but not in love with it.  Would have went another direction in the 2nd with the Luck news, not as high on Hilton anymore.

M. Evans, TY Hilton, Crowell, Crabtree, B.Powell, T.Coleman, Ertz, Cousins, Duke Johnson, Decker, Dak, Shepard, Hooper, Vereen, Caro, Lutz, R.Burkhead

Cousins, Prescott

Crowell, Powell, T.Coleman, Duke, Vereen, Burkhead

Evans, Hilton, Crabtree, Decker, Shepard

Ertz, Hooper

Lutz, Caro

Was not real happy with the 9th pick this year in my 20 year league.  This draft happened 2 Fridays ago, so before injuries, and news on Luck.  12 team, ppr, start 1,2,2,1,flex, k,def.  I like my team, but not in love with it.  Would have went another direction in the 2nd with the Luck news, not as high on Hilton anymore.

M. Evans, TY Hilton, Crowell, Crabtree, B.Powell, T.Coleman, Ertz, Cousins, Duke Johnson, Decker, Dak, Shepard, Hooper, Vereen, Caro, Lutz, R.Burkhead

Cousins, Prescott

Crowell, Powell, T.Coleman, Duke, Vereen, Burkhead

Evans, Hilton, Crabtree, Decker, Shepard

Ertz, Hooper

Lutz, Caro
Would you have gone RB in the 2nd over Hilton or a different WR?

Do you like Cooks in the 2nd round?
Too early.

I'm starting to warm up to a late pick. You usually can grab a #1 WR and with a little luck you can get one of Ajayi, Murray, or Howard on the turn. I'm finding that middle of the round picks have you really scrambling for RBs.

Would you have gone RB in the 2nd over Hilton or a different WR?
I would have gone rb, with Howard.  He was the only rb left that I would have taken with 2.4, otherwise top options on my board were Cooper or Dez.  I guess I'd take any of them over Hilton now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Efritch4 said:
So has anybody drafted from the 9 slot and liked their team??
I did on Saturday: Started out with Jordy, AJ Green, Jordan Reed,  Fournette and Allen Robinson.

Reed may have been a reach but Baldwin and Cooper went the two picks right before me and were my targets. There was no one that stood out and my VBD projections had Reed being the guy I should take. Robinson just may be the key to this team - if he bounces back I like my chances a lot. If he sucks, I have some work to do.

Also too Cameron Meredith in Round 7 - which puts me in a small hole now after Sunday.

I went AJ Green, Elliot, Fournette, K Allen, Carlos Hyde. I should be really good or really bad. I also lost Merideth, but he was my 4th WR.

I drafted 9th of 12 in a Third Round Reversal PPR league and started Evans, Ajayi, Cooks (taken at 3.04), Miller, Diggs, Ingram, Graham. Luck fell to the 8th round so I took a flier and backed him up with Rivers two rounds later. Pretty happy with my team.

so many RB's available in late 3/early 4th like hunt, powell, lynch maybe fournette/mcaffery why take one early?? go two WRs, gronk or even Rodgers

so many RB's available in late 3/early 4th like hunt, powell, lynch maybe fournette/mcaffery why take one early?? go two WRs, gronk or even Rodgers
Because there's question marks with most the 3/4 RB's. Not many questions with Freeman, Ajayi, Howard or Gordon. 

drafted 9th this sunday.  In most of my mocks, I was getting Gordon, AJ Green or Jordy Nelson in the first.   Not in my actual draft though.

Gordon went 3rd....Rodgers Went 10th.  Odel , fell to me at 9. This is a 12 team ppr.

Qb- Carr, Dalton

Rb- Kareem Hunt, CJ Anderson, Doug Martin, Woodhead, CJ Prosise.

WR- Beckham, AJ Green, Golden Tate, Corey Coleman, Sterling Shepard (15th round), Zay Jones

TE- Fleener.......risk, but there is upside

k- Sturgis

DEF- Giants.

Because there's question marks with most the 3/4 RB's. Not many questions with Freeman, Ajayi, Howard or Gordon. 
Freeman---has Coleman around; inevitable regression of Falcons offense; and the fact that it took 15 days for him to clear concussion protocol (for a concussion not even in a game) has to be concerning

Ajayi---was great in 3 games last year and pretty mediocre in the rest

Howard--- on a really lousy team that just lost its top WR threat--mediocre QB doesn't help either

Gordon--underwhelming history, doesn't inspire much confidence, history of injuries

Not saying they aren't worthwhile, but I definitely think a stud WR in the 1st (Evans, AJ or Jordy) is a better way to go.

drafted 9th this sunday.  In most of my mocks, I was getting Gordon, AJ Green or Jordy Nelson in the first.   Not in my actual draft though.

Gordon went 3rd....Rodgers Went 10th.  Odel , fell to me at 9. This is a 12 team ppr.

Qb- Carr, Dalton

Rb- Kareem Hunt, CJ Anderson, Doug Martin, Woodhead, CJ Prosise.

WR- Beckham, AJ Green, Golden Tate, Corey Coleman, Sterling Shepard (15th round), Zay Jones

TE- Fleener.......risk, but there is upside

k- Sturgis

DEF- Giants.
you got AJ Green at pick # 16 ??? Wow.

you got AJ Green at pick # 16 ??? Wow.
yup, in the second round.  strange draft.  Gordon went 3 as I mentioned, Rodgers 10.  One guy drafted 2 kickers, and another 3 TE

hopefully Hunt plays like I think he can and Martin comes out like gangbusters after his suspension.

I've only done mocks so take it for what it's worth (since actual drafts typically go a little differently) but I am really liking the WRs available in rounds 4-6.  Jeffery, Adams, Tate, Sanders, Parker, Landry, etc.

Every time I did a mock where I didn't take 3 RBs in the first 4 picks I ended up regretting it when I had to pass on a pretty reliably good WR like Tate or Landry for a very risky running back that I have little faith in.

I feel that picking in the 9 spot is hard to get locked into a strategy depending on who could 'fall' to 9. Evans, AJ, or even as  it sounds in some drafts the ODB is falling to 9. 

I think it would be hard though to pass on Gordon or Shady if they are sitting at 9 though. 

1QB 3WR 2RB 1TE 1FLEX

Green, evans, obj all gone by the #9 pick. Chose Gordon over McCoy, and in the 2nd round we chose Howard over Dez. Wilson went in the 6th round (!)

Wilson

Robinson, Diggs, Britt

Gordon, Howard

Ebron

Dalvin Cook

Snead, Riddick, Jordan Matthews, Rex Burkhead, Jamaal Charles

Mostly happy with this draft. Only regret seeping in is not drafting Dez in the 2nd

1QB 1RB 2 WR 1TE 1Flex 6 pt per td 1/2 pt ppr 

I went WR RB QB RB WR WR 

Ended up with AJ Green, Ajayi, Brees, Lynch, Fitz, K. Benjamin,Garçon, P. Perkins, Ertz,Rivers, C. Coleman, Texas D and Vinatieri.

probaly a little light on RB's but only need to start 1rb . also qb's go fast so I took Brees before I lost out. 

Im feeling ok but not great. A lot depends on how Ajayi and Lynch pan out

Good thread.  

I have yet to see any of you nine-holers even mention Travis Kelce, much less take him.  I am considering that beast at 3.09.  If not, I will be all over him -- like Matt Walderman on a replay -- at 4.04.

Gronk is going two rounds earlier and there is an argument to be made that he could surpass him again.  And the consistency people tend to love in those first rounds.... You know, "you can't win your league in the first few rounds but you certainly can lose it, blah, blah, blah...".  Kelce exudes that adage, does he not?

in general RB's normally bust more than WR's - i'd rather be safe with jordy/aj green/mike evans 
Agreed.  This is not a bad year to be a niner, at all.  I think the decision is easy in the first two rounds.  At 1.09, Grab whatever's left of the top 6 WRs.  You most certainly will get one.  Then take whatever's left of the second tier RBs (each of which have some worms, so might as well roll the dice on whichever one of them is left).  On top of that, I don't fancy reaching for any of those third tier WR's at that point.  Let your opponents sort those out.

This will also allow you to zig or zag (find value) in the ensuing rounds, instead of being stymied by a WR/WR or RB/RB start. 

As it stands now, those first two rounds from the 9-hole are a piece of cake.

Agreed.  This is not a bad year to be a niner, at all.  I think the decision is easy in the first two rounds.  Grab whatever's left of the top 6 WRs.  You most certainly will get one.  Then take whatever's left of the second tier RBs.  Each of which have some cons against (so might as well roll the dice on whichever one's left).  Yet none of which don't give you much more than you'll get waiting until 3.09 for one.  On top of that, I don't fancy reaching for any of those third tier WR's at that point.  Let your opponents sort those out.

It's a piece of cake, those first two rounds.
I like this strategy...but I'm also liking the idea of hopefully drafting Brandin Cooks in round 2 which would have me focusing on grabbing one of the top 6 WRs or Gordon or Freeman in round 1.

I believe that Cooks could finish as a top 5 WR

I like this strategy...but I'm also liking the idea of hopefully drafting Brandin Cooks in round 2 which would have me focusing on grabbing one of the top 6 WRs or Gordon or Freeman in round 1.

I believe that Cooks could finish as a top 5 WR
Cooks isn't finishing as a top 5 WR, you're reaching already.  

Just take a 2nd tier RB in the 2nd, and be happy with that and your top 5-ish WR in the 1st.  No need to overthink the first two rounds.

Just take a 2nd tier RB in the 2nd, and be happy with that and your top 5-ish WR in the 1st.  No need to overthink the first two rounds.
I hear you...I like what you're saying - if love for AJ or another receiver to be there at 9 and then come back with a RB like Murray or Ajayi

A little presumptuous. Why is he not finishing as a Top 5 WR?

Good thread.  

I have yet to see any of you nine-holers even mention Travis Kelce, much less take him.  I am considering that beast at 3.09.  If not, I will be all over him -- like Matt Walderman on a replay -- at 4.04.

Gronk is going two rounds earlier and there is an argument to be made that he could surpass him again.  And the consistency people tend to love in those first rounds.... You know, "you can't win your league in the first few rounds but you certainly can lose it, blah, blah, blah...".  Kelce exudes that adage, does he not?
He was gone when I picked at 3.09 or I would have taken him.

kOOk - I'm all about Kelce this year...I hope he falls to me at pick 3.09. If you draft him you don't have to worry about drafting a backup TE. 

A little presumptuous. Why is he not finishing as a Top 5 WR?
Yeah, presumptuous.  Sorry, I thought I was on a magic football message board for a minute there.

Brady (to his credit) spreads the ball around too much.  There's your answer.   No way is player A walking onto that team and finishing as a top 5 WR; that's not how they do it.

Drafting now from #9...PPR with 1pt/20 return yards. I am in several dynasty leagues and only do this one redraft each year

so far...

McCoy

Dez

Kelce

K Allen

D Parker

B Powell

D martin

Winston

Britt 

Moncrief 

Woodhead

john Brown

Lockett

Drafting now from #9...PPR with 1pt/20 return yards. I am in several dynasty leagues and only do this one redraft each year

so far...

McCoy

Dez

Kelce

K Allen

D Parker

B Powell

D martin

Winston

Britt 

Moncrief 

Woodhead

john Brown

Lockett
Love this squad...nice work!

Anyone picked from 9 in a league that only requires 2 WRs?  I have rb/rb/wr/wr/flex starting spots in an upcoming draft and I'm worried that RBs won't fall nearly as much in that one so RB/RB may be pertinent from the 9-hole there.

I have pick 8 in my league and Im a little shocked that a lot of people are saying Beckham is falling to 9. I would like to who where the 8 that went before Beckham. Im guessing Johnson, Bell, Brown, Julio for sure and maybe Gordan and Freeman but I cant see what other 2 go before Beckham

I have pick 8 in my league and Im a little shocked that a lot of people are saying Beckham is falling to 9. I would like to who where the 8 that went before Beckham. Im guessing Johnson, Bell, Brown, Julio for sure and maybe Gordan and Freeman but I cant see what other 2 go before Beckham
McCoy and Nelson in our league.

Agreed.  This is not a bad year to be a niner, at all.  I think the decision is easy in the first two rounds.  At 1.09, Grab whatever's left of the top 6 WRs.  You most certainly will get one.  Then take whatever's left of the second tier RBs (each of which have some worms, so might as well roll the dice on whichever one of them is left).  On top of that, I don't fancy reaching for any of those third tier WR's at that point.  Let your opponents sort those out.

This will also allow you to zig or zag (find value) in the ensuing rounds, instead of being stymied by a WR/WR or RB/RB start. 

As it stands now, those first two rounds from the 9-hole are a piece of cake.
Totally.  In 2QB league I would take on one of the top 6 WRs and an elite QB then draft promising upside RB's end of 3rd/early 4th.  For a one QB league, I would argue taking Gronk on the turn or potentially Zeke.  Cooks has to wait until the 3rd if he lasts.

Totally.  In 2QB league I would take on one of the top 6 WRs and an elite QB then draft promising upside RB's end of 3rd/early 4th.  For a one QB league, I would argue taking Gronk on the turn or potentially Zeke.  Cooks has to wait until the 3rd if he lasts.
As for top 6 WRs, for me it's top 5. I'm hoping AJ or Jordy is there. Not as high on Evans. Addition of D. Jackson will reduce targets and everyone  seems to forget during the 2nd half of last season they ran the crap out of the ball.

If WR in RD1, I'm hoping to land Ajayi or D. Murray. Don't love Murray but I would make it a priority to nab D. Henry in say, RD 6-7.

IMO, leaving rounds 1 and 2 without a RB is trouble. Those RBs (Hunt, McCaffrey, Cook, etc.) are now all going too early. You can easily be looking at an Abdullah as the only RB left there and that's too high. Next thing you know, it's zero RB or bust (which can be done). There's a ton of WR depth.

As for top 6 WRs, for me it's top 5. I'm hoping AJ or Jordy is there. Not as high on Evans. Addition of D. Jackson will reduce targets and everyone  seems to forget during the 2nd half of last season they ran the crap out of the ball.

If WR in RD1, I'm hoping to land Ajayi or D. Murray. Don't love Murray but I would make it a priority to nab D. Henry in say, RD 6-7.

IMO, leaving rounds 1 and 2 without a RB is trouble. Those RBs (Hunt, McCaffrey, Cook, etc.) are now all going too early. You can easily be looking at an Abdullah as the only RB left there and that's too high. Next thing you know, it's zero RB or bust (which can be done). There's a ton of WR depth.
I feel you on Evans and would rank him below Jordy and then AJ but the dude is healthy and IMO safe.  Nothing wrong taking him late round 1.

Where I disagree is I find the risk with Ajayi (big games vs small), Demarco (age and Derek) amongst that tier worrisome.  I would much rather risk with those rookie RB's a round later who will get the workload and opportunity to at least succeed.  To me round 2 I want healthy safe and RB's aren't unless you have Leveon/DJ/Zeke.  

Users who are viewing this thread