What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: WR Taywan Taylor, Titans (1 Viewer)

Digitallinh

Footballguy
This guy deserves a thread.  The next Antonio Brown or nah?

He's one of my favorite rookies this year, I like him in the top 5 if not 3 dynasty wr, drafted him in the third round rookie draft..  I'm expecting Mariota to take the next step and support two good wr options. 

How about this 48 yarder today? Not a hands catcher but still pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
NREC34 said:
He's going to play a lot early and be good. They traded up to get him. 
No, not in this "light." Jon Robinson said he was bored so he traded up

Taylor has been special since day one. Davis was not practicing in rookie minicamp, so a zillion people saw articles about a Titans rookie WR impressing and just glossed over it.

The Titans have had a special rookie wide receiver every year for as long as I can remember. He's different than all of them. There hasn't been a single knock against him- not blocking, not route running, not concentration, not studying, not practice habits, not attendance....not a single thing.

Greg Cosell DID compare him to ODB and Antonio Brown months ago. He runs his routes the clever way they do. He's running along fast and when the ball is in the air, somehow he has another gear and gets separation every time on crossing routes. He's moving so fast you wouldn't figure he has another gear. He is not big, yet makes the contested catches regularly. 

He's faster and quicker than Kendall Wright. 

He may be the reason Decker isn't re-signed to a second year deal, but he is an extra this year. 

Mularkey called him "a factor" today. He played a single snap at RB and regularly does reverses or end arounds. This is usually annoying and not as clever as they think it is.

The Titans are pretty well set with Matthews opposite Davis and Decker in the slot. Decker and Matthews can play all three spots. 

The Titans APPEAR to have made an offensive change this year. They were a 3 TE offense with 1 WR. Now they are a two TE offense for running plays and a 3 WR offense on passing plays. The Titans LOVE Jonnu Smith and Delanie Walker. They do line them up at the WR spots and they do with Henry and Murray too. Those 3 WR spots are awfully crowded.

Taylor is mister excitement. He isn't a starter. He is going to spell someone and try and make a big play a handful of times per game. 

The Titans WRs don't exactly get tired run blocking a zillion downs in a row. Taylor won't be subbing in as often as he would if this were the Pats or Green Bay. The Titans run and run some more.

There's a huge question as to how much he'll play. Mularkey does love the guy and has been complimenting him for months. 

It seems Davis will already be out week one or play sparingly, so Taylor could be decent in week one, but since he's drafted so late you probably have better options. 

Decker barely played last year and is already nursing an ankle. I guess you could estimate Decker to miss some time and Taylor to replace him.

I love the guy, but he totally looks like a year two star.

y'all stink. :-) 

One week of preseason left. Almost made it with a sleeper candidate on FBGs for the first time ever
I thought this was funny when you mentioned it in the Titans thread.

I am pretty sure lots of people know about Taylor. Not sure why there wasn't a specific thread for him. No one got around to it I guess.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Presser just now

Davis will practice this week and return for week one in a limited role. Mularkey said Taylor is clearly ahead of him.

That means Matthews opposite Taylor with Decker in the slot.

Major props to the third rounder for becoming an opening day starter. If they start in 3 TE set or give Decker one snap or some goofiness...I don't care. Awesome job, Taywan

Presser just now

Davis will practice this week and return for week one in a limited role. Mularkey said Taylor is clearly ahead of him.

That means Matthews opposite Taylor with Decker in the slot.

Major props to the third rounder for becoming an opening day starter. If they start in 3 TE set or give Decker one snap or some goofiness...I don't care. Awesome job, Taywan
That's good news.  I agree with what you said before though, he's a year 2 stud.  These are the types of players you grab in 3rd and 4th round rookie drafts.  

He will be 1B to Davis' 1A for years to come.

If there are still rookie drafts to be done, Taylor will no longer go that late. Youll have to adjust somehow

Don't do it. 
Good advice.

Taylor will factor in this year, he's in the top 4 group of receivers and someone they've said they would make an effort to get the ball. The real payoff however is next year as Decker is on a one year deal and Rishard Matthews may not be worth the $5M he is owed in 2018, and may not matter anyway. This will be the Davis/Taylor show  next season.

My most-drafted rookie in dynos.

Weird gap between combine vert of 33.5 and Pro Day of 38" adds some confusion about what kind of WR he'll be but I think he's got a lot of paths to success.  Was a steal in 20s/30s in May and still solid value in 2nd round IMO.

I wasn't planning to, but it nice to have some reassurance. Gillisie would be my 5th rb and I am weak at receiver after A.B.  It feels kind of cool to be on the bandwagon early. 
I feel like he's an unknown commodity right now other than Titan and WKU fans/ hardcore dynasty guys that watch a ton of college games. 

Got him at the end of both my teams and I only play redraft. Prob would've been undrafted in both if not for me. 

Titans only carrying 4 wr right now plus Weems who is really just there to return. 

I see him playing a lot. He showed flashes of what he can do in the preseason. 

I feel like he's an unknown commodity right now other than Titan and WKU fans/ hardcore dynasty guys that watch a ton of college games. 

Got him at the end of both my teams and I only play redraft. Prob would've been undrafted in both if not for me. 

Titans only carrying 4 wr right now plus Weems who is really just there to return. 

I see him playing a lot. He showed flashes of what he can do in the preseason. 
He was my favorite 4th round pick during my rookie drafts. I think I have him in 4 of my 6 dynasties. I am expecting more offers for him before Sundays game as the word spreads that he is ahead of Davis. 

msudaisy26 said:
He was my favorite 4th round pick during my rookie drafts. I think I have him in 4 of my 6 dynasties. I am expecting more offers for him before Sundays game as the word spreads that he is ahead of Davis. 
He is??? 

He is??? 
In the sense that Taylor got full off season workout and camp and Davis got neither and is working his way back from an injury he is but I would not phrase it that way. I figured this was known that Davis will need some time, it's temporary, and I don't think will lead to an increase in value for Taylor.  Taylor might seize the lions share of slot duties, but I have a hard time saying he's ahead of Davis other than few weeks Davis is going to take to get up to speed.

Now, does not mean that Taylor's value can't increase substantially but I think it won't be based on current depth chart but how he performs. Decker is new to this offense and missed a lot of time as well and Matthews as your top receiver is why this team drafted Davis 5th, traded up or Taylor and signed Decker.  What I'm trying to say is Taylor has a legit shot to be a play maker in week one and increase his stock, but I still would not want to phrase him as being ahead of Davis as I view that as temporary.

I couldn't believe he went undrafted in my FFPC startup a month ago and now I got him off waivers for a $1 blind bid after he did really well during preseason, I'm confused as to why he's not hyped more right now.  That's the thing I guess, buy guys who have done good things early in their career who haven't received hype for it yet so the masses are none the wiser

The Corey Davis draft pick has people stuck.  They are refusing to accept the possibility that Taylor could be a better player than Davis.  I liked Davis a lot prior to the NFL draft, he was my #1 just like everyone else.  I had Taylor 2nd.  I adjusted my ranking of Taylor, but I was still wanted to acquire him because Davis would still have to compete with him.  I felt even more comfortable taking Taylor at his ADP than taking Davis at his since Davis did not workout.  I like the underwear Olympics and Taylor did well to go along with outstanding production, while Davis did not workout.  Considering how I ranked them, it would not shock me to see Taylor hold off Davis, but that is still to be decided.  I too, have Taylor on 4 of 6 dynasty teams.  I missed him in one where I took Zay Jones who fell to 2.11 in a superflex; I still don't feel like that was the right decision.

I couldn't believe he went undrafted in my FFPC startup a month ago and now I got him off waivers for a $1 blind bid after he did really well during preseason, I'm confused as to why he's not hyped more right now.  That's the thing I guess, buy guys who have done good things early in their career who haven't received hype for it yet so the masses are none the wiser
People are looking at him as the 6th option in that offense, even in dynasty they look at him as 3rd or 4th.  

Davis, Murray, Henry, Walker, Decker,  Matthews.  After this year they still see it as Davis, Henry, someone they have yet to bring in/Matthews then Taylor. It looks like bad thinking. 

FWIW I had Taylor ranked 20th prior to the NFL draft and 19th after the NF:L draft.

The main player I have higher than Taylor (but the same tier) that I can see being wrong is Curtis Samuel. Samuel was a top 50 pick while Taylor was drafted 72 overall.

The tier looks like this:

(7) Mike Williams Chargers
(9) John Ross Bengals
(37) Zay Jones Bills
(86) Kareem Hunt KC Chiefs
(62) JuJu Smith-Schuster Steelers
(89) D'Onta Foreman Texans
(67) Alvin Kamara Saints
(114) Samaje Perine Redskins
(40) Curtis Samuel Panthers
(69) Cooper Kupp Rams
(72) Taywan Taylor Titans

I could argue Taylor being ahead of any of these players in the same tier but I ranked him last in the tier because of draft position, positional value and opportunity to make an immediate impact.

I admit this may be a bit low for Taylor who is a very good prospect. My view of Davis being a better player than Taylor certainly is a big part of this, and as some of you have mentioned, this reasoning could be wrong and Taylor may not be as blocked for opportunity as it seemed to me in May.

In that sense I think I have been pretty low on Taylor and if I revised this right now, I would have him ahead of Perine and Samuel. Kupp has done well so far so that would be difficult for me as far as which one I would rather have between the two. I am not entirely sure if Schuster is better than Taylor either. I would take all of the RB ahead of him except for Perine if drafting today though. That is the reason these players are all the same tier, I see them as interchangeable.

How Taylor falls to the 3rd or 4th round of rookie drafts seems off to me, even though I haven't been particularly high on Taylor in a relative sense, ranked 19th and 20th is certainly before the 3rd round of rookie drafts.

I couldn't love PFR anymore than I possibly do, but they have Taylor as injured this week

He bruised his calf on august 27th and hasn't missed 'an ounce' of practice. He wasn't on the Titans injury report either.

I think that's an issue where maybe it wasn't updated in the database they get their info from. Maybe someone forgot to update a bruise? I don't know but he's fine and that's an oops

Titans played a high school like offense with the WRs in by the TEs

It was very odd. Never seen it before.

When they spread out, Taylor did get some action but that was like one series.

Late, when they spread out, they went to Davis.

Mularkey said Taywan played well in limited reps.

The reason he didn't play more was the packages (odd set mentioned above)

Will he play more next week? Maybe, wouldn't give sincere answer and giveaway gameplan

This is new this year from Mularkey. He's never been deceptive or secretive or any of that. Most open coach ever. 

Taylor has some tiny but muscular arms. I don't know that I'd put him behind the TE as they did. Davis is a big boy, he can handle it, but that isn't a role for everyone in the NFL. 

When they spread out (expected) I would surely think Taylor plays far more. 

Note there was a series of plays just for Taylor including him as a decoy on a fake reverse

FB Jalston Fowler barely played (3 snaps) and Mularkey said there's no more important position on this team. TE Supernaw started and last two years the second TE was in on a huge percent of plays, huge. He had nine snaps. 

Taylor wasn't the only one out of the gameplan. There's never been a Mularkey team to not use two TEs often(Supernaw above) so it will change. This was one game.

76% of snaps were 3 WR sets but only 4 of Davis' routes were run where he lined out wide https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/all/tennessee-titans/2017/week/corey-davis/DAV247957/2017/1/route

Mularkey/Robiske were "cute" and "clever" with their high school set. I don't expect it to be the norm.

Davis did well and showed he's special. He definitely knocked Taylor back a peg and now Taylor won't be taking his spot. However, they love Taylor and he should play plenty

Robiske said everything I've been telling ya

definite downgrade for Taylor til/if someone gets hurt

He's better than Decker. 
we don't know that. Decker has certainly produced far more and it makes sense to rely on him because of that.

He's different. More wirey and way faster. Decker seems a far better blocker
For a big play I'd sure say Taylor but for chain moving, Decker makes sense.

If Taylor gives us starting caliber points this year, consider it gravy. Like has been stated in this thread already. 2018 is Davis/Taylor time.  The hope here is Mariota takes the next step and can support two upper tier wrs. 

Getting ready to drop this guy. Don't see much upside with this team running so many 3TE sets and well just running a lot.Good player but bad situation fantasy wise.
they've only run 10 3 TE plays this season. 8 on first, one on second, one on third down

Fastest player in the NFL two weeks in. NextGen Stats has him at 21.44 mph and he twisted his ankle a bit before

I don't know, probably average since it's a common short yardage set.

Since Whis, they have primarily used the 3 TE set more than 50% of the time. This is all new this year for them.
It's an interesting offense and a little difficult to gauge for fantasy football players. At least non-homers. 

It's an interesting offense and a little difficult to gauge for fantasy football players. At least non-homers. 
My guess would be that their two TE two WR set is most common by year's end.

Decker was demoted to like second guy where he should be. Matthews is nails. Decker was at 94% of snaps and fell to like 60ish with Matthews resuming his lead role. Everything looks forced to Decker and it's uncomfy. Til Decker gets comfy, Davis and Taylor should see more action.

Mularkey loves the TEs and is a former TE and all of his past offenses with other teams used 2 and 3 TE sets. 15? years of data and their love for Jonnu makes me figure the 3 WR set is going to wind up being a 3rd down set.

Mularkey said they were putting more plays in for Taylor on Monday so that's good news. It still seems like he's a bit far down to start him in FF but the progress is there. The team is clearly realizing he's special and trying to bring him along too. 

My guess would be that their two TE two WR set is most common by year's end.

Decker was demoted to like second guy where he should be. Matthews is nails. Decker was at 94% of snaps and fell to like 60ish with Matthews resuming his lead role. Everything looks forced to Decker and it's uncomfy. Til Decker gets comfy, Davis and Taylor should see more action.

Mularkey loves the TEs and is a former TE and all of his past offenses with other teams used 2 and 3 TE sets. 15? years of data and their love for Jonnu makes me figure the 3 WR set is going to wind up being a 3rd down set.

Mularkey said they were putting more plays in for Taylor on Monday so that's good news. It still seems like he's a bit far down to start him in FF but the progress is there. The team is clearly realizing he's special and trying to bring him along too. 
This is going to be a really fun entertaining offense to watch in like 1-2 years with the maturity/growth of these WRs, Mariota taking that next step, and Henry taking over in the backfield (if not already this season). A lot to like in Nashville these days 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
I'm stuck holding this guy because of his talent. So many Titan players I like a lot as football players I'm just not sure if there is much consistent scoring opportunities in regards for fantasy football for any players behind Henry, Delanie and Davis (I'm mostly talking about next year on, not so much this year). 

What are we thinking for the short term with Davis out at least a week?
I'm hoping for a 4-60 or so game. Like one of the above posters I just want him to show he should be getting more time then decker. I would imagine decker would still come in around the red zone since I still do think he can be effective there but otherwise have Taylor in to spread the field more

Users who are viewing this thread