What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Owner Wants to Hire His Girlfriend (1 Viewer)

Johnny Rock

Footballguy
Our company consists of a chain of retail stores. Three years ago the owner wanted to diversify into restaurants despite zero food experience. I strongly cautioned against it because food is tough, and we were unable to reach an agreement for me to run the restaurant concept. He decided to go with a sub-optimal plan with a different employee and it's been a disaster. 

I try to stay out of it as it's not my deal. But I give input when asked and I've helped clean up some messes. He's trying to sell the store or close it completely by June. 

Today he said he's thinking of hiring his girlfriend of 8 months to run the restaurant. She works at a Dept. Store. He's in his late 40's, never married, not many serious girlfriends, first real gf in a long time. She is about mid-30's and gold diggerish. I've only met her once. 

What could go wrong?  :wall:   :lmao:

tl:dr Rich, socially awkward, never married middle aged business owner wants to hire unqualified girlfriend to run his terribly mismanaged restaurant. 

Last edited by a moderator:
more than just a good chance she is cobra commander in disguise so all i am saying is be careful and make friends with general flint that guy knows everything and hey the more you know is half the battle so take that to the bank gi brohan

ah. I read the title as an owner wanting to hire a girlfriend... like a professional girlfriend. 

yeah. this should go well as you've described.

ah. I read the title as an owner wanting to hire a girlfriend... like a professional girlfriend. 

I was more interested in this scenario.  Might be something I'd be interested in pursuing myself in a few years.   

I sent him some pre-employment screening materials we use and a background form. Interested to see how it comes back if he asks her to fill it out. Apparently she's a citizen but originally from an eastern bloc country. 

NutterButter said:
El Floppo said:

I was more interested in this scenario.  Might be something I'd be interested in pursuing myself in a few years.   
I doubt you'd make a good professional girlfriend.

But don't let that stop you from pursuing a dream.

NutterButter said:
El Floppo said:

I doubt you'd make a good professional girlfriend.

But don't let that stop you from pursuing a dream.
shhh... I had already negotiated the rate down 33%

What is it the FBG say, Start hiding money? 

Odds are in 6 to 12 months you will be able to buy this business for pennies on the dollar. 

Johnny Rock said:
Three years ago the owner wanted to diversify into restaurants despite zero food experience. I strongly cautioned against it because food is tough, and we were unable to reach an agreement for me to run the restaurant concept
wait.. what?

you advised against it but it still almost got done... except he couldn't pay you enough to do it? even though you said it was a bad idea?

The GF will run the restaurant into the ground in 2 months.  She will be at the restaurant at the beginning trying to boss everyone around and letting everyone know that she is in charge.  A week later, she will barely show after realizing that managing the restaurant is difficult. 

Johnny Rock said:
Our company consists of a chain of retail stores. Three years ago the owner wanted to diversify into restaurants despite zero food experience. I strongly cautioned against it because food is tough, and we were unable to reach an agreement for me to run the restaurant concept. He decided to go with a sub-optimal plan with a different employee and it's been a disaster. 
I remember that.

The GF will run the restaurant into the ground in 2 months.  She will be at the restaurant at the beginning trying to boss everyone around and letting everyone know that she is in charge.  A week later, she will barely show after realizing that managing the restaurant is difficult. 
Yeah. I'd totally just go ahead and take a dump on her now, avoid the decision point later on, amiright?? 

Johnny Rock said:
tl:dr Rich, socially awkward, never married middle aged business owner wants to hire unqualified girlfriend to run his terribly mismanaged restaurant. 
Get him to watch Spinal Tap. Do this subtly of course.

But that's ultimately the downfall of the band.

Why do you still work for him?
Lots of good. Tons of benefits and perks negotiated over the years. Kept my same position with increase in title and I'm not responsible for this cluster. 

This gal putting herself in position with his company is a risk to everyone, including his personal life and possibly legally if she pulls shenanigans. His brother and I have discussed the risk to the company, of which he's a shareholder. 

I sent him some pre-employment screening materials we use and a background form. Interested to see how it comes back if he asks her to fill it out. Apparently she's a citizen but originally from an eastern bloc country. 
Gotta love the mail order girlfriend. Good for him.

Yup, and if possible try to keep your distance from the aforementioned GF, because when the inevitable #### hits the fan she will be pointing fingers at everyone else for the failure of the store.

I think the best idea is to do exactly the opposite of what your instincts are telling you.  Tell your boss something like...

Hey man... I was thinking about your idea of having your girlfriend run the restaurant, and I was hesitant at first, but I think you should definitely do it.  She seems pretty cool and it seems like you really like her, if that's what you want to do then you should do it.  Go for it.  I completely support you.

When you say this it will completely throw him off.  You know that he also knows it is a risky move with some serious downside.  If you give him your full support it will make him suspicious and paranoid thinking... why is he telling me to do it, why isn't he telling me I am crazy for even thinking about this?  It will completely throw off his thinking because it is opposite of what he is expecting to hear and he will immediately start questioning himself.  If you oppose him it might cause him to take the position of "I'll show him that I am the boss and I am right".  If you support him he may start asking you questions about his own reservations and get him to open up more.  It is the basic reverse psychology , but it might work!

I think the best idea is to do exactly the opposite of what your instincts are telling you.  Tell your boss something like...

Hey man... I was thinking about your idea of having your girlfriend run the restaurant, and I was hesitant at first, but I think you should definitely do it.  She seems pretty cool and it seems like you really like her, if that's what you want to do then you should do it.  Go for it.  I completely support you.

When you say this it will completely throw him off.  You know that he also knows it is a risky move with some serious downside.  If you give him your full support it will make him suspicious and paranoid thinking... why is he telling me to do it, why isn't he telling me I am crazy for even thinking about this?  It will completely throw off his thinking because it is opposite of what he is expecting to hear and he will immediately start questioning himself.  If you oppose him it might cause him to take the position of "I'll show him that I am the boss and I am right".  If you support him he may start asking you questions about his own reservations and get him to open up more.  It is the basic reverse psychology , but it might work!
Then the #### hits the fan when things blow up and he has in the back of his mind that you supported this.  Not the route I'd be going.

see if you can get her to make it a falallafal and slushy joint looks lets face it everyone likes the great taste of lamb and you know damned well no one ever turned down a slushy so hey if you are gonna have cobra commander running a food place at least make it a good one and that is one to grow on take that to the bank bromigo

Users who are viewing this thread