What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where to draft GRONK?? (1 Viewer)

Efritch4

Footballguy
Where are people drafting Gronk this year, or where are people targeting him. Of course we all know of his injury history, and he's only played a full 16 games once...BUT he is still arguably the biggest difference maker at his position. 

Are people drafting him in round 2/3 or staying away from him this year??

All the teams where I have a top 3 pick, I've taken Gronk as my 2nd/ 3rd pick. 

Im completely content with taking him there too. 

With the 5 pick in a 12 teamer, I took him in the second after taking McCoy.

The guy used to be a consensus first rounder.  I'm Bullish.

Third round is the earliest for me which means he's barely draftable.  I can't stand taking a TE in the first few rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gronk is the only tight end I even consider taking early.  I had the one pick in a ten teamer w/two keepers.  Did about a half dozen mocks.  I didn't take Gronk in any of them. Last night was our draft and guys I were hoping for (Gurley and Dez) went right before my pick at the turn of rounds 2 & 3 (I only had a 3rd due to a saved keeper in round 2).  I ended up taking Gronk over Cooks/McCaffrey/Lynch/Cook.    Looking forward to having a TE putting up WR1 numbers.  I guess I'll be holding my breath all year that he stays healthy.

Avoid Gronk altogether this year and take Kelce in the 3rd.  Thank me after the season.  

They've call Kelce "mini-Gronk" for a reason ;o)

I'm taking Gronk anytime 2.06 or later. He tilts the field more than any other fantasy player respective to his position. His per game average is insane compared to every other TE.  When he's out - you're just putting in a baseline player so it's not even like a lost pick.  He's undervalued this year, imo... medium risk, high-reward means he's going to be on most of my teams.

Hard pass at ADP and grab the Bachelor a couple rounds later for similar production.  Unless you tell me he's playing 12+ games.  Then back up the truck in the mid second.   

Guys like Kelce ot Graham are obviously safer picks. They won't cost you as high of a pick and if everything clicks, they could get you eight or nine touchdowns. But the allure of Gronkowski is that if he stays healthy, he could get you 14 or 15. 

eoMMan said:
This. Or....

Graham in the 5th.
Generally I'm targeting Ertz a tad later but I like all four at their ADPs this year. 

Hard pass at ADP and grab the Bachelor a couple rounds later for similar production. Unless you tell me he's playing 12+ games. Then back up the truck in the mid second.
God that #### was so cringeworthy it almost made me not want to draft Kelce entirely.

I have the 9th pick in an upcoming draft. I would love to have a shot at drafting Gronk middle of the 3rd round - but I know it's wishful thinking that he'll last that long. I'm honestly worried about drafting him in the 2nd round knowing that there's a real chance that he doesn't play 16 games. 

Thinking Kelce in the 3rd or (hopefully) early 4th is the safer pick. 

10 team standard scoring, I took him at 2.8 cuz there was no one left I wanted at that round. Guy picking at the turn told me he planned on Gronk falling to the turn for him and was slightly bummed I took him.

David Johnson
Le'Veon Bell
Melvin Gordon
LeSean McCoy
Devonta Freeman
Jay Ajayi
DeMarco Murray
Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
A.J. Green
Mike Evans
Jordy Nelson
Odell Beckham Jr 
Michael Thomas

going to depend on mood at the time

Dez Bryant
Doug Baldwin
Brandin Cooks 
Amari Cooper

after these guys are gone

The simple answer is "2nd round" because that's where he's taken in just about every draft. The 2.12/3.01 turn is a nice spot & pair him with DJ, because you'd be unlikely to get an elite WR there. 

If he falls to the 3rd he's likely worth a pick. 

You can say 2nd or 3rd, I have no problem saying I'm targeting him before the turn of the first round this year. He is such an advantage at TE its like drafting a WR1, so why wait until the 2nd when you know someone will snag him? 

The simple answer is "2nd round" because that's where he's taken in just about every draft. The 2.12/3.01 turn is a nice spot & pair him with DJ, because you'd be unlikely to get an elite WR there. 

If he falls to the 3rd he's likely worth a pick. 
No offense, but this is forced drafting. This is my point, take Gronk in the 1, sure its pricey but if you dont take him, someone in the 2nd is. He went at the 10/11 Turn in one league and why not, he wont make it back to 10/11 so get the guy you want. So if I dont take him at 8 like I did, I might not get him. Also, I got at 13 what I wanted to get at 8 in Gordon. Win/Win. Drafts are all unique, no set place to wait. 

My DD has jumped him to 14 overall after the Edelman injury.

I pick 19 overall. (2.7)   I'd probably take Cooper (11th ) or Rodgers (15th) over him there, if available.

No offense, but this is forced drafting. This is my point, take Gronk in the 1, sure its pricey but if you dont take him, someone in the 2nd is. He went at the 10/11 Turn in one league and why not, he wont make it back to 10/11 so get the guy you want. So if I dont take him at 8 like I did, I might not get him. Also, I got at 13 what I wanted to get at 8 in Gordon. Win/Win. Drafts are all unique, no set place to wait. 
That is true except that his health history is scary.   I thought I had a steal when he fell to me in the second round.   Not sure I can draft him really than late second this year.    Of course, getting burned last year makes someone like me a little more concerned than others.  

Not interested in Gronk and his lofty ADP when Ertz and Graham are such great value plays.

Although admittedly the Edelman loss has me reconsidering Gronk if he slides in drafts. 

10 team standard scoring, I took him at 2.8 cuz there was no one left I wanted at that round. Guy picking at the turn told me he planned on Gronk falling to the turn for him and was slightly bummed I took him.
10 team standard, I took him at the 2.10/3.01 turn (Dez/Gronk).

Gronk is a tough one. When playing, his ability is pretty much unparalled.  WHEN he's playing.

I'm not a big fan of the 2nd/3rd round in drafts this year.  To me, there's too many question marks and too many "anointed" studs.  To that, I think I'd be fine with Gronk's ability/potential over that of just about anyone ADPed in the 2nd/3rd.*

* The one problem with this is the value that you might be able to get from another, lesser TEs who you can get later in the draft.  

He went around the 20 in a 2QB redraft and went for 17% in a start two tight end auction League with 19 player rosters 

That is true except that his health history is scary.   I thought I had a steal when he fell to me in the second round.   Not sure I can draft him really than late second this year.    Of course, getting burned last year makes someone like me a little more concerned than others.  
Fair enough, what is too early to draft him. I wouldnt knock anyone for taking him end one early two, health or not which even with Gronk its unfair to predict injury, because his advantage at a position like TE is still monumental and without Edelman it makes him worth that much more or am I wrong here? 

Fair enough, what is too early to draft him. I wouldnt knock anyone for taking him end one early two, health or not which even with Gronk its unfair to predict injury, because his advantage at a position like TE is still monumental and without Edelman it makes him worth that much more or am I wrong here? 
He will go in the second round in my 12 team draft on Friday.  

It's fine to reach for him, but that's a choice. I reach for players all the time for the reason you specify. 

But my statement isn't "forced drafting" - it's me saying I wouldn't do what you're doing. And I wouldn't ranch for him late 1st because I believe there are elite players there I'd rather have, especially considering the depth at the TE position & likelyhood that Gronk misses time with a [insert body part here] injury this year.

If it's the 2nd and he makes it to you, it's fair value. 

if you're at the 10-11 spot, take a top 12 player and have Gronk on the way back. I don't consider 2.03 a reach since as you say, he won't make it back.

but why take Gronk 1.08 if you can have Gronk + top 12 pick (top 10 in your case?) there was no guarantee Gordon made it back, so you could have #### the bed on your first pick just as easily but you got lucky. Getting lucky on the 2nd pick doesn't make your 1st pick smarter. 

Taking Gronk late 1st means you are more likely to miss a player like Gordon (who you got later than he should have gone) so the majority of the time you'd have ended up with 2x 2nd round values and none 1st. That's a horrible way to draft. 

ADP isn't forcing you to take a player anywhere. It's telling you where others will very likely take that player. Use it as a roadmap. Gronk's late 2nd ADP tells you that you can take a higher ranked guy and still have Gronk. 

Each to their own though. 

Not interested in Gronk and his lofty ADP when Ertz and Graham are such great value plays.

Although admittedly the Edelman loss has me reconsidering Gronk if he slides in drafts. 
I got Brate in the 14th. He had 8 TDs last year and should continue to improve. 

If Gronk somehow falls to the early 3rd in my draft on Saturday I'll grab him, but I'm ok not drafting him. 

Dude is amazing but he gets hurt every year. 

Had the 12th pick in a 12 team PPR. Took Gronk as the 2.1. he wouldn't have been there on my way back.

This is honestly the first year I've taken Gronk. I've always bought into the wait on a TE. Trying it different this year.

Had the 12th pick in a 12 team PPR. Took Gronk as the 2.1. he wouldn't have been there on my way back.

This is honestly the first year I've taken Gronk. I've always bought into the wait on a TE. Trying it different this year.
How'd your team end up?

Ive got the 11 pick on Tuesday and was thinking along the same lines. I haven't been in love with any of my mocked teams from this spot.

IF he can stay healthy (huge issue), there's a pretty reasonable chance he's worth a late first. He's going to be as good as AJ Green or some other late first round wr, but he does it at it TE position. Your risk tolerance determines how high you draft him, but there's a case for late first. 

How'd your team end up?

Ive got the 11 pick on Tuesday and was thinking along the same lines. I haven't been in love with any of my mocked teams from this spot.
RBs could have been better but Freeman went just before my pick. I got TY, Michael Thomas, Rodgers, Gronk, Ingram, Gore, CJ Anderson.

But then weak on WR late. Cobb and Marvin Jones aren't terrific WR3s. 

I love grabbing him any chance I get. This year is a bonus with him being had in the second and in a couple cases third round. A lot of it comes down to the personality and style of the drafter. Me? I take risks all the time to get a hammerlock on one position. Gronk is the best of that scenario. When healthy it's not even close. Kelce and Ertz? Please. Gronk plays 12 games he will score more TDs than those two combined likely. Graham? Just as injury prone and his team hasn't figured out how to target him in the redzone and Seattle's o-line sucks. Over and over drafters are firmly in one of two camps: Camp 1 never takes TEs and QBs high and will even pass up a Rodgers in the fourth because that's what "sharks" do. In my experience over the years in local and Internet leagues, these risk averse drafters need to knock the draft out of the park or else they are usually middle of the road and out of the money. Camp 2: believes the draft is merely one third of a successful season. The other two parts, weekly management and roster churn wether through WW and/or trades. I never ever believe my season is over if I blow my first or second pick. So, a guy like me relishes the shot of positional DOMINACE any chance I get. If he Gronk gets hurt? Sucks but I'll figure it out. 

I don't mean to sound like I'm patting myself on the back here. Just I always read theses posts where people say "every team with Gronk I see sucks and doesn't make the playoffs." I've drafted him multiple times the last few years in multiple leagues and the teams with him are far and away more successful than not. 

RBs could have been better but Freeman went just before my pick. I got TY, Michael Thomas, Rodgers, Gronk, Ingram, Gore, CJ Anderson.

But then weak on WR late. Cobb and Marvin Jones aren't terrific WR3s. 
So you get Rodgers 3.12 or 4.1? See my post above. I LOVE the sort of team you drafted. Two STUDS at two positions and that kinda frees up the mental ram to keep churning to improve RB and WR. And Cobb and Jones don't suck at all for wr3.

So you get Rodgers 3.11 or 4.2? See my post above. I LOVE the sort of team you drafted. Two STUDS at two positions and that kinda frees up the mental ram to keep churning to improve RB and WR. And Cobb and Jones don't suck at all for wr3.
Ty, Gronk, Rodgers were my first 3 picks. Also had Michael Thomas as a keeper for an 11th rounder.

Ty, Gronk, Rodgers were my first 3 picks. Also had Michael Thomas as a keeper for an 11th rounder.
I'll take those four all day long, especially in PPR. It's kinda counter-intuitive but I have no problem punting one position and usually it's RB more often than not. I know the past doesn't mean anything but if Gronk is healthy, you're looking at owing the number one QB and what will amount to possibly three top ten WRs (Gronk ranking as a top WR himself). Your RBs could practically be Sproles and Smalwood together and you'll be winning more often than not.

I'll take those four all day long, especially in PPR. It's kinda counter-intuitive but I have no problem punting one position and usually it's RB more often than not. I know the last doesn't mean anything but if Gronk is healthy, your looking at owing the number one QB and what will amount to possibly three top ten WRs (Gronk ranking as a top WR himself). Your RBs could practically be Sproles and Smalwood together and you'll be winning more often than not.
I do have Sproles, lol. Ingram, Gore, CJ, Duke, Sproles, and then Cohen and T Carson late. Hopefully from all that I get enough quality starts. Or I get a jump on the top FA RB that emerges since I have #1 we position.

Anyway enough about my team.

I love grabbing him any chance I get. This year is a bonus with him being had in the second and in a couple cases third round. A lot of it comes down to the personality and style of the drafter. Me? I take risks all the time to get a hammerlock on one position. Gronk is the best of that scenario. When healthy it's not even close. Kelce and Ertz? Please. Gronk plays 12 games he will score more TDs than those two combined likely. Graham? Just as injury prone and his team hasn't figured out how to target him in the redzone and Seattle's o-line sucks. Over and over drafters are firmly in one of two camps: Camp 1 never takes TEs and QBs high and will even pass up a Rodgers in the fourth because that's what "sharks" do. In my experience over the years in local and Internet leagues, these risk averse drafters need to knock the draft out of the park or else they are usually middle of the road and out of the money. Camp 2: believes the draft is merely one third of a successful season. The other two parts, weekly management and roster churn wether through WW and/or trades. I never ever believe my season is over if I blow my first or second pick. So, a guy like me relishes the shot of positional DOMINACE any chance I get. If he Gronk gets hurt? Sucks but I'll figure it out. 

I don't mean to sound like I'm patting myself on the back here. Just I always read theses posts where people say "every team with Gronk I see sucks and doesn't make the playoffs." I've drafted him multiple times the last few years in multiple leagues and the teams with him are far and away more successful than not. 
totally agree with everything youve said.

Im in the 2nd camp you describe..Ive always been a fan of taking  TE early .it's such an advantage that it makes sense to take one in round 1 or early 2nd. and Gronk is FAR better than Kelce and Ertz..what Ive seen in this thread is a lot of people love Melvin Gordon and I just dont get it no one sees a massive regression coming? and the second thing Is no mention of E. Engram who has the look of a super TE in the making someone who'll pay dividends right away.

of all the years you WANT Gronk its this year with his incentive laiden contract with built-in milestones..

Of all the years you WANT Gronk its this year with his incentive laiden contract with built-in milestones..
This right here is a big reason to take a risk on Gronk this season.  He literally can get a $5 million dollar incentive bonus, on top of his $5 million base contract.  How much more motivation does he need with this type of incentives?  

They just lost Edelman, Tom Brady's security blanket over the middle.  Those targets are now up for grabs for everyone else.

They brought in Cooks to get a deep threat to stretch the field, that's more room for Gronk to work the middle/underneath of the defense.

He is eating Avacado smoothies, Kale chips, and other crap Tom Brady eats.  He said he's given up the alcohol this year.  Those party years might be behind him now, he realizes he only has a few years left at his age and injury history.  Why would he agree to eat hamster and rabbit food crap like Brady, if he wasn't zoned in this year?

He used to think practice and preseason was a joke, now he's saying his preseason reps were important, even after he didn't make a catch in a preseason game, he just got to run his routes at game speed.  Dude is focused this year, he's a changed man it looks like to me.

Writing is on the wall, if he can stay healthy, he might just be the highest Non QB scorer in PPR leagues this season, and maybe even in standard leagues too.

I play fantasy football to win the championship, not to be middle of the league and barely limp into the playoffs.  It's all or nothing, go for broke, and hope Gronk can smash this year.

I also have a feeling New England wants an undefeated season including the super bowl, this might be there best team yet under Brady/Belicheat.

Edited to add this:

If Bell or David Johnson both hit their ceilings this season, Gronk might be one of the only players who might be able to match or get close to the ceilings of Bell/Johnson.  And you better hope the person picking 1st or 2nd doesn't get a chance to follow up their picks with a Gronk/next best WR on the 2/3 turn.  Good luck trying to catch a Bell/Johnson, Gronk, and a top 12 WR start.

meh on contract incentives being a reason to draft someone. that is 50/50. plenty of legitimate reasons; no reason to go into white magic arena. 

I had the 11th pick in a 12 team league.   I passed on him in the second and he went a few picks later.   I got burned by Gtonk last year and didn't want the risk.  

What are some predictions for Gronk?

85/1300/12

Double digit TDs in every year he played double digit games. 

70+/1100+ very year he has played 15 games or more with exception of his rookie season.

Guess it come down to how healthy he stays. However, those numbers above warrant a first round pick.  

Users who are viewing this thread