What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roller Derby. . . .for kids? (1 Viewer)

Kraft...

Footballguy
My youngest daughter(9) hasn't found her "thing" yet. Tried all the main stream sports but she hasn't really taken to any. We are having her try a bunch of different stuff(rock climbing, theater, art etc.) and she expressed some interest in Roller Derby. There is a graphic novel she likes Roller Girl that brought it to her attention. There is a youth program kind of in our area(would be a bit of a hike) that looks decent. I plan on taking her to a match in October to get a better look and maybe talk to some of the skaters about it. Any experience with youth Roller Derby? 

I think your daughter is my daughter's doppelganger.    We haven't a program for her, but we have gone to 3 woman's flat track roller derby events this year.   Actually some good cheap fun.  Next one is in september.   

She definitely marches to the beat of her own drummer so an alternative sport like Roller Derby might just be a fit. Sports/Activities have been such a great confidence/self esteem builder for our older kids we really want her to find something. Will definitely check it out and report back. 

My youngest daughter(9) hasn't found her "thing" yet. Tried all the main stream sports but she hasn't really taken to any. We are having her try a bunch of different stuff(rock climbing, theater, art etc.) and she expressed some interest in Roller Derby. There is a graphic novel she likes Roller Girl that brought it to her attention. There is a youth program kind of in our area(would be a bit of a hike) that looks decent. I plan on taking her to a match in October to get a better look and maybe talk to some of the skaters about it. Any experience with youth Roller Derby? 
I didn't know there was such a sport for kids. 

Have you looked into Jiu Jitsu for her yet?  My 7 year old son went thru the ringer of all the normal kids sports and pretty much hated them all, despite being fairly athletic.  I decided to take him to a Jiu Jitsu class for kids and he fell in love with it.  Its pretty cheap too.  $60 per month with 2 one hour classes a week.  With no weekend obligations!  My 5yo daughter is chomping at the bit to sign her up too. 

So it turns out there is roller derby for kids in my area.   My kids just had their first practice yesterday.   First game or match or whatever the hell its called is 10/21.   

Buddy's daughter has been part of the Rose City Rollers since she was in middle school.  In college now, but she loved it and I think still plays (?) it in her college town.  

I went to a game (?) with MexiJoe once.  Had no idea what was going on, but the beers were cold and delicious.

i thought roller derby was like professional wrestling.....

You mean there is a "legit sport" version

So it turns out there is roller derby for kids in my area.   My kids just had their first practice yesterday.   First game or match or whatever the hell its called is 10/21.   
How's it going? 

We went to a match in late October and my daughter loved it. The skaters were very approachable, they talked to her and signed her Roller Girl book. I reached out and exchanged emails with the woman that runs the program. Unfortunately they were already deep into their fall session so we can't join until the spring, I even asked if we could swing by and watch a practice but practices are closed so we couldn't even do that.  She has been skating around the house so the interest is still there(hopefully it will last into the spring). 

How's it going? 

We went to a match in late October and my daughter loved it. The skaters were very approachable, they talked to her and signed her Roller Girl book. I reached out and exchanged emails with the woman that runs the program. Unfortunately they were already deep into their fall session so we can't join until the spring, I even asked if we could swing by and watch a practice but practices are closed so we couldn't even do that.  She has been skating around the house so the interest is still there(hopefully it will last into the spring). 
Was the match for kids or for adults?   The team had an intersquad match (couldn't do this b/c we joined too late in the season) as well as another match against another team but it was the top level (full contact) so only a subset of the kids could participate.  I'm not sure what other matches they have throughout the year.  We're just stoked to actually have a team to practice with.   They're on winter break and it starts back up in march.   In the process right now of buying some new skates with the wide wheels that are better for roller derby.  

Was the match for kids or for adults?   The team had an intersquad match (couldn't do this b/c we joined too late in the season) as well as another match against another team but it was the top level (full contact) so only a subset of the kids could participate.  I'm not sure what other matches they have throughout the year.  We're just stoked to actually have a team to practice with.   They're on winter break and it starts back up in march.   In the process right now of buying some new skates with the wide wheels that are better for roller derby.  
awesome  :thumbup:

It was an adult match, the last one of the season, just crappy timing unfortunately. I think she will still want to participate in the spring though, we keep talking about it. Really bummed we couldn't at least watch a practice but thats their rule, no watching practice. 

awesome  :thumbup:

It was an adult match, the last one of the season, just crappy timing unfortunately. I think she will still want to participate in the spring though, we keep talking about it. Really bummed we couldn't at least watch a practice but thats their rule, no watching practice. 
Gotcha.   We've done a bunch of adult matches.   They're a good time.  Definitely give it a shot to see if she likes it.   My youngest (8) also does it but she's just on the side with some other kids just learning how to skate better.  I'm not sure if she'll stick with it.  The oldest (11) was always the one eager to do it.   

Still trying. they didn't have enough kids to do a Spring session here so hoping for this Fall :kicksrock:  

We have been to a couple more matches and she enjoyed them. Not skating around the house as much as she used to, hope interest doesn't go away. :oldunsure:  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread