What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racist 19yo masterminds recreation of act of racial terrorism from obscure university 1000 miles ago and 3 months prior, then claims it, sending Ole M (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
http://thedmonline.com/greek-life-retreat-ends-abruptly-bias-concerns/

TLDR: 
• Ole Miss hosts Greek life retreat at camp
• Serves breakfast via fruit cart (featuring bananas) at one discussion group
• Black students leaving group sees discarded banana peel outside cabin
• Black students are "hurt, frightened, and upset", see it as a "slap in the face", and flee camp in tears, texting friends to come and pick them up from the camp
• Camp shut down 

When asked who put it there "senior accounting major Ryan Swanson said he put the banana peel in the tree when he could not find a trashcan nearby."

Image of scene of the crime

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this is exactly what happened in the last 15 minutes of Revenge of the Nerds Part Two...

Shocking that students who attended a university where someone placed a noose around the neck of the statute of James Meredith might perceive racism in seemingly innocent situations. 

:shrug:  I can see how some might consider that to be insensitive.

And, no real reason to give the Ole Miss Runnin' Rebs the benefit of the doubt here...

Carry the damn peel and throw it away properly, slob.

:shrug:  I can see how some might consider that to be insensitive.

And, no real reason to give the Ole Miss Runnin' Rebs the benefit of the doubt here...

Carry the damn peel and throw it away properly, slob.
Yeah, going out of your way to put in in the tree like that makes it obvious they were trying to be subtly offensive. 

Ole Miss is having a rough go lately...mostly self inflicted.

People clearly can't take responsibility for the proper disposal of their banana peels.  It's time to unite against this racist fruit and its racist supporters.  

My favorite faux outrage is the faux outrage from white males who are more disturbed by minorities having hurt feelings than the actual systemic racism being enacted by numerous legislations across the US.  

Poor and minorites being disenfrancised by the tens of thousands by voter ID laws specifically designed to keep them from voting?  Meh...not even worth an eyebrow raise.

A handful of minorites who are temporarily pissed because of a banana being left in a tree in an area where racism is an extremely hot buttom issue?  OMG LET ME GET TO THE FFA TO START THREADZZZZ!!!!  

My favorite faux outrage is the faux outrage from white males who are more disturbed by minorities having hurt feelings than the actual systemic racism being enacted in numerous legislations across the US.  

Poor and minorites being disenfrancised by the tens of thousands by voter ID laws specifically designed to keep them from voting?  Meh...not even worth an eyebrow raise.

A handful of minorites who are temporarily pissed because of a banana being left in a tree in an area where racism is an extremely hot buttom issue?  OMG LET ME GET TO THE FFA TO START THREADZZZZ!!!!  
:mellow:

Doesn't everyone discard banana peels in a tree when there is no garbage can around?

Could be innocent but I doubt it.

My favorite faux outrage is the faux outrage from white males who are more disturbed by minorities having hurt feelings than the actual systemic racism being enacted in numerous legislations across the US.  

:hug:

Here's a pro-tip, Ole Miss Students:  Put your discarded banana peels in the beds of rose gardens or other flowers. The soil loves the nutrients and it helps deter slugs.

TMYK

My favorite faux outrage is the faux outrage from white males who are more disturbed by minorities having hurt feelings than the actual systemic racism being enacted by numerous legislations across the US.  

Kind of an odd & random strawman you're inserting here. I'm disgusted by the issues you raise and it's one of numerous reasons I despise Trump. But this banana peel thing is beyond absurd. And it's counterproductive to not call it out as such if we want the real issues to be taken seriously. 

Definitely an Alpha Beta move.
It was the first one but one of the great moments in movie history is when they ask Takachi if he knows karate before they put the jock on his head...pure genius...John Goodman forgetting to practice after his speech is another golden moment...

Kind of an odd & random strawman you're inserting here. I'm disgusted by the issues you raise and it's one of numerous reasons I despise Trump. But this banana peel thing is beyond absurd. And it's counterproductive to not call it out as such if we want the real issues to be taken seriously. 
I'd agree except it seems odd to hang it in a tree.  If it was just tossed on the ground somewhere then sure.  I put it at maybe 75/25 it was intentional but I do agree it's not worthy of losing our minds over (in either direction)

I assume you're Matt Damon in this meme, since you're the one apparently upset enough to start a thread whining about it.
Not sure "whining" means what you think it means, GB  :P

I started the thread because I was amused by the field of whispy weeping willows that were born without bark, and figured others would find it pathetic as well. Turns out I was right. :thumbup:

Hurt feelings and temporarily pissed are clearly very accurate and unbiased descriptions of what happened here. Lol. 

so by whining about people whining you are better than the people whining got it take that to the bank brohan 

This is not worthy of a call out, IMO. :shrug:   

This is not worthy of a call out, IMO. :shrug:   
Really? Kids actually crying and feeling threatened by a banana peel, and the whole event subsequently being shut down over it strikes me as pretty bizarre. I shudder to think what happens to these kids in a real crisis. This is not an environment that is preparing people for life imo.

The inability to separate the banana peel in the tree from actual racism is laughable. However it appears like they all started talking about racism more broadly after that incident, upon which time the discussions got heated. I'm thinking that part perhaps was not so laughable. It sounds like there were some steps in between bullet points 3 and 4 in the original post that exacerbated the tensions. So ha ha on the snowflakes, I suppose, if that's the point. I also think it is too bad that the racial tensions weren't that far below the surface, that all it took was a banana peel in a tree to set off tense discussions.

While we are here who is everyones favorite marina?  I sort of liked the first one but the second one seemed way dirtier. 

Oof 

I mean, you guys honestly think he put that in a tree because there was no trash can around? I think it's obvious what he meant by it. 

I don't like it when these kids just throw fruit on the ground (or hang it in the trees) as if they're creating compost.  That #### will draw flies.  Just throw your fruit leavings away and you'll be a'ight. 

I'd agree except it seems odd to hang it in a tree.  If it was just tossed on the ground somewhere then sure.  I put it at maybe 75/25 it was intentional but I do agree it's not worthy of losing our minds over (in either direction)
I've seen enough Saturday morning cartoons to know what happens when you toss a banana peel on the ground.

What's absurd about it? The banana peel in the tree triggered some heated discussions, and those discussions are what led to kids getting upset and ultimately the camp being cancelled. It's not like they saw the banana and immediately freaked out and left like the OP suggested. They probably cancelled it because they were worried it would go beyond a heated discussion and get out of hand. 

If I was black and coming out of a discussion on race relations at Ole Miss and saw a banana hanging up in a tree I would definitely assume the worst. Even if the kid truly hung a banana peel up in a tree because he couldn't find anywhere else to put it - that was still an extremely poor decision given the time and place.  

Doesn't everyone discard banana peels in a tree when there is no garbage can around?

Could be innocent but I doubt it.
Yeah I thought this was a pretty silly story until I saw the picture - and maybe it still is - but the placement of the peel seemed a little "too perfect". Hopefully that's all it was though.

lol at the thread title and the first post. That's just terrible stuff. Couldn't have misrepresented this any more if you had tried. Very disappointing and kind of makes me sad. I'm done. Move to politics forum. 

Really? Kids actually crying and feeling threatened by a banana peel, and the whole event subsequently being shut down over it strikes me as pretty bizarre. I shudder to think what happens to these kids in a real crisis. This is not an environment that is preparing people for life imo.
Per the article, the banana incident led to a larger discussion of racial issues, which led to tensions rising, and then the tears and people leaving.  People weren't simply crying and demanding the event be canceled simply due to the banana peel.

I don't find it bizarre at all that a group of fraterity kids would have trouble navigating a complex discussion like race, espeically in the current political environment. I'm not shocked at all that some 20 years olds got emotional when discussing the issue. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread