What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump poised to end DACA as early as Friday (1 Viewer)

Let's cut to the chase, I'm kind of sick of people playing around the issues here.

If an illegal immigrant snuck across the border and snuck his child in here too, and said child becomes a low level gang member, stole stuff, sold drugs should we really allow these people to stay here? Please answer yes or no.

pretty sure there are more of my example than yours 
DACA kids have been given thorough background checks and one with the bolded background would probably not qualify:

https://www.ilrc.org/daca-criminal-bars-chart

DACA Criminal Bars Chart

10/26/2012

DACA Crimes

In addition to a number of other requirements, to qualify for deferred action a person must not be convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor, or multiple misdemeanors, and not pose a threat to public safety or national security.

DACA kids have been given thorough background checks and one with the bolded background would probably not qualify:

https://www.ilrc.org/daca-criminal-bars-chart

DACA Criminal Bars Chart

10/26/2012

DACA Crimes

In addition to a number of other requirements, to qualify for deferred action a person must not be convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor, or multiple misdemeanors, and not pose a threat to public safety or national security.
So a good place to start should probably be to come up with some way to stop them from coming across the border and then, remove all the ones that don't meet those requirements 

So a good place to start should probably be to come up with some way to stop them from coming across the border and then, remove all the ones that don't meet those requirements 
You are aware that DACA is for those who were brought to this country by their parents as children or adolescents, a matter that they had no choice or control over?

So, you literally can't stop them from coming across the border, since they were all brought here by their families years ago. Putting up a wall or stricter border control can stop illegal crossing from this point forward, but is irrelevant to current DACA recipients.

You are aware that DACA is for those who were brought to this country by their parents as children or adolescents, a matter that they had no choice or control over?

So, you literally can't stop them from coming across the border, since they were all brought here by their families years ago. Putting up a wall or stricter border control can stop illegal crossing from this point forward, but is irrelevant to current DACA recipients.
Yes I'm aware...I was speaking of the broader subject. Before DACA is decided the other needs to be done, as noted in my post with the words "a good place to start".

for me and I'm sure many others, there's no point in making a decision on DACA until the other is resolved 

Yes I'm aware...I was speaking of the broader subject. Before DACA is decided the other needs to be done, as noted in my post with the words "a good place to start".

for me and I'm sure many others, there's no point in making a decision on DACA until the other is resolved 
Regarding the bolded, the problem is that it will never be resolved.

For this nation's entire history, we've had a lot of undocumented immigrants. They come here without papers because our economy is good. When our economy falters, they stop coming in the same numbers. But they always come. They risk their lives to get here. Trump might make you temporarily happy with a wall (we'll see) but a wall won't stop them. Nothing will stop them.

POLITICO   @politico

#BREAKING: Trump has decided to end DACA, with 6-month delay politi.co/2gvodg5

This was prophetic:

Ron Asher‏ @rmasher2 Sep 1

"We love the Dreamers."

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Trump loving something or someone is like a kiss on the lips from Michael Corleone.

#DACA

Paul Ryan asked for a delay so that Congress could pass a law that replaced DACA. Ryan doesn't object to DACA but believes that it should have come from Congress, that Obama exceeded his authority. Maybe Trump is going to ask Congress to do something quickly (I doubt it.)

Don't see that anywhere else 
From Politico:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/03/trump-dreamers-immigration-daca-immigrants-242301

Trump has decided to end DACA, with 6-month delay

Senior White House aides met Sunday afternoon to discuss how to roll out the controversial move affecting hundreds of thousands of Dreamers.

President Donald Trump has decided to end the Obama-era program that grants work permits to undocumented immigrants who arrived in the country as children, according to two sources familiar with his thinking. Senior White House aides huddled Sunday afternoon to discuss the rollout of a decision likely to ignite a political firestorm — and fulfill one of the president’s core campaign promises.

Trump has wrestled for months with whether to do away with the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, known as DACA. He has faced strong warnings from members of his own party not to scrap the program and struggled with his own misgivings about targeting minors for deportation.

Conversations with Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who argued that Congress — rather than the executive branch — is responsible for writing immigration law, helped persuade the president to terminate the program, the two sources said, though White House aides caution that — as with everything in the Trump White House — nothing is set in stone until an official announcement has been made.

In a nod to reservations held by many lawmakers, the White House plans to delay the enforcement of the president’s decision for six months, giving Congress a window to act, according to one White House official. But a senior White House aide said that chief of staff John Kelly, who has been running the West Wing policy process on the issue, “thinks Congress should’ve gotten its act together a lot longer ago.”

Trump is expected to announce his decision on Tuesday, and the White House informed House Speaker Paul Ryan of the president’s decision on Sunday morning, according to a source close to the administration. Ryan had said during a radio interview on Friday that he didn’t think the president should terminate DACA, and that Congress should act on the issue.

From Politico:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/03/trump-dreamers-immigration-daca-immigrants-242301

Trump has decided to end DACA, with 6-month delay

Senior White House aides met Sunday afternoon to discuss how to roll out the controversial move affecting hundreds of thousands of Dreamers.

President Donald Trump has decided to end the Obama-era program that grants work permits to undocumented immigrants who arrived in the country as children, according to two sources familiar with his thinking. Senior White House aides huddled Sunday afternoon to discuss the rollout of a decision likely to ignite a political firestorm — and fulfill one of the president’s core campaign promises.

Trump has wrestled for months with whether to do away with the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, known as DACA. He has faced strong warnings from members of his own party not to scrap the program and struggled with his own misgivings about targeting minors for deportation.

Conversations with Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who argued that Congress — rather than the executive branch — is responsible for writing immigration law, helped persuade the president to terminate the program, the two sources said, though White House aides caution that — as with everything in the Trump White House — nothing is set in stone until an official announcement has been made.

In a nod to reservations held by many lawmakers, the White House plans to delay the enforcement of the president’s decision for six months, giving Congress a window to act, according to one White House official. But a senior White House aide said that chief of staff John Kelly, who has been running the West Wing policy process on the issue, “thinks Congress should’ve gotten its act together a lot longer ago.”

Trump is expected to announce his decision on Tuesday, and the White House informed House Speaker Paul Ryan of the president’s decision on Sunday morning, according to a source close to the administration. Ryan had said during a radio interview on Friday that he didn’t think the president should terminate DACA, and that Congress should act on the issue.

Oh, is that a different POLITICO?

34 minutes ago,  whoknewsaid: 

POLITICO   @politico

#BREAKING: Trump has decided to end DACA, with 6-month delay politi.co/2gvodg5

Trump is a despicable human being. The hubris is outrageous considering his abysmal approval ratings. He's acting as if he has a mandate. This will end up burning the GOP for years to come.

At the same time, the president’s decision is likely to be one of the most contentious of his early administration, opposed by leaders of both parties and by the political establishment more broadly.
So why would he end DACA?  Has to be some reason. 

And? You don't seem to be very well versed in how journalism works. Would you like a primer?
Oh I'm versed enough...since Trump took office it's been "sources say" source close to the administration" yadda yadda 

its no more than words sorry...not any different than "people say"

both phrases are worth the same 

And? You don't seem to be very well versed in how journalism works. Would you like a primer?
Oh I'm versed enough...since Trump took office it's been "sources say" source close to the administration" yadda yadda 

its no more than words sorry...not any different than "people say"

both phrases are worth the same 
It's been "sources say" for 100 years. That's. How. Journalism. Works.

Code:
"Oh I'm versed enough" (obviously not)

My heart breaks for the 800,000 people impacted by a short-sighted, ignorant decision made by this total buffoon. They don't deserve this.
My hope is the motivation of the leaker(s) here is to get a full day of public and news reaction to ending DACA, let Trump see on TV what a lousy idea this is, and decide not to go through with it.  

Let him save face on Tuesday by announcing a program like DACA should be written by Congress, not executive order, and his big announcement is his demand that Congress write a reformed DACA so the disaster of the Obama executive order can be made moot and be undone.

It's been "sources say" for 100 years. That's. How. Journalism. Works.

Code:
"Oh I'm versed enough" (obviously not)
This post doesn't dispute my statement that the 2 phrases are the same.

its not a comment on How. Journalism. Works.
You said you were "versed enough" in how journalism works, then you IMMEDIATELY followed that up by claiming that "sources say" started when Trump took office, thereby completely dismantling your own argument in a matter of seconds. Then, instead of defending your claims with a cogent argument, you resorted to name-calling.

So, yeah, if you're trying to show that you don't deserve to be put into the Stealthycat cage, you're not doing a very good job of it.

Then Congress needs to step in.  DACA on it's own is an overreach of the Executive branch and needs to be ended.
It may be an overreach, but why does it need to be ended now or in 6 months for those who registered in good faith? I don't have any faith in Congress; hopefully this is an impetus for Democrats and some Republicans to work together.

Users who are viewing this thread