What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump poised to end DACA as early as Friday (2 Viewers)

A great nation of great people who do great deeds.... we are not that, right now.  

As individuals and communities absolutely. It's the bond that will likely see us through this horrible era of our history. There had been a steady stream of humanity moving forward - on civil rights, access to opportunity, hell we even elected not just a black President, but a Kenyan one at that! 

The pushback is not to be surprising; and last gasps of antiquated thinking rarely have logic or common sense - or humanity - to fall back on. That's why society had evolve past those anachronistic thoughts and frameworks.

For now, however, if I'm a non-American, we Americans collective have become the black hats in this story,m. The only way we become good guys again is from within. 

We will, I believe it truly. I believe at the base community level even those who preach hateful or at best Inhumane and anti-Americans ideals today, will see the harm it has already done and what it will do. 

But again, that will only change from within.  And there is no guarantee it will be easy, nor happen soon.

Sucks to live through this, maybe we can each in a small way be a part of fomenting change and regaining a positive trajectory as a nation and neighbor.  

Remember, immigration issues for Trump supporters were a huge deal.  It might have been the #1 issue for many of them.  The above link urbanhack shared, this is not a bug.  This is a feature.  This is exactly the type of stuff that they want to happen.  The reddest of meat, and it's most savory for them.  We need to stop these things from happening, which means merely voting is no longer an option.  I hope you all get involved for every election you can.  Up and down the ticket.  President all the way down to your podunk town city council.  I know I will be.

Maybe they can find a way... I'd be in favor of x years of military service, or some sort of public service for the same amount of years. Giving that person a set amount of years to comply with citizenship requirements where at the end of those years they become a full citizen. If they don't complete the program in the time frame, they would have to leave 

we'll see what our "great" lawmakers can come up with 
This cant be serious?  

You want to make some sort of public service compulsory?  Indentured servant?

And those that Can't?  Sorry get rekt?

OK so after doing some reading, I've found that there has been extensive debate about whether DACA was constitutional or not. And the SCOTUS was split on the issue. 

It's a shame that congress didn't draft a bill that lead to real immigration reform. 

Congress can't agree on anything other than Russia sanctions it seems. 

So maybe Trump ending DACA is a good thing because it forces congress to act and create legislation.  

OK so after doing some reading, I've found that there has been extensive debate about whether DACA was constitutional or not. And the SCOTUS was split on the issue. 

It's a shame that congress didn't draft a bill that lead to real immigration reform. 

So maybe Trump ending DACA is a good thing because it forces congress to act and create legislation.  
If you or someone you love was facing deportation I doubt you would see the same silver lining. An inept Congress begat DACA. We now might be faced with an even more inept Congress trying to bring us back to the level of fairness that exists today with DACA. This is insanity.

Dedfin said:
Remember, immigration issues for Trump supporters were a huge deal.  It might have been the #1 issue for many of them.  The above link urbanhack shared, this is not a bug.  This is a feature.  This is exactly the type of stuff that they want to happen.  The reddest of meat, and it's most savory for them.  We need to stop these things from happening, which means merely voting is no longer an option.  I hope you all get involved for every election you can.  Up and down the ticket.  President all the way down to your podunk town city council.  I know I will be.
Exactly. Only 26% of the people who can vote, voted for Trump. It's now time for the other 74% to step up and decide what kind of America do we really want.

jerry jones said:
Right...perhaps

but right now that's only as strong as an executive order. If that's really the want of the country then get it to congress and get it done. Resolve the issue...
I agree. That's why I vote Democrat.  Democrats have been trying to do just what you say for years.  Republicans fought it out of spite and desire to keep Obama from getting credit for stuff and now are considering it only so their callousness and heartlessness are not laid  bare.  

Good lesson for next time we go to the polls.

If you or someone you love was facing deportation I doubt you would see the same silver lining. An inept Congress begat DACA. We now might be faced with an even more inept Congress trying to bring us back to the level of fairness that exists today with DACA. This is insanity.
Oh, I completely agree that this is insanity and it's being done just to spite Obama. But America made its bed by electing Trump and voting 3rd party, so now we have to lay in it. 

Its only going to get worse. Maybe next time we won't vote in an incompetent fool with no vision or leadership skills. 

I knew exactly what would happen if trump were elected, nothing that has happened has surprised me. But this is what America wanted. They want America to burn to make a point. 

Good thing long term in the context of the law, exclusive of human ramifications? Maybe.

There were plenty of other avenues by which to work with Congress for superseding legislation without the immense human toll in those directly affected, and in communities / economies across the country.

Just a slight correction here- several bills have been drafted to codify DACA. See eg S.952 in the 112th Congress by Richard Durbin. They were just buried by the GOP. You can look them up on Congress.gov if you wants

A friendly reminder that while Trump is obviously a disgraceful piece of garbage playing politics with the lives of innocent people on DACA, he's not on an island on this one. He's right in line with the GOP establishment, their current grandstanding to the contrary.

Zow said:
You realize they didn't choose to be here and have done nothing deserving deportation via criminal activity, correct? And yet you want to consider mandatory military service on them? That doesn't seem cold to you?
I re read what I wrote didn't say anything about mandatory, but whatever you say 

I agree. That's why I vote Democrat.  Democrats have been trying to do just what you say for years.  Republicans fought it out of spite and desire to keep Obama from getting credit for stuff and now are considering it only so their callousness and heartlessness are not laid  bare.  

Good lesson for next time we go to the polls.
Didn't democrats have control many times in the past 20 years or so? I don't think this is really a new issue as Obama and Clinton both referenced the issue when they were running for their presidency 

Zow said:
Well, I'm super glad to be born white and in the United States. 

You know, two decisions that I had nothing to do with but apparently make me better than others.
lol and hopefully your parents actually followed the law and legally immigrated 

culdeus said:
This cant be serious?  

You want to make some sort of public service compulsory?  Indentured servant?

And those that Can't?  Sorry get rekt?
And why couldn't they?  Would it need to be difficult? 

Isnt public service a requirement to graduation high school now a days? It was for my kids, what's the difference 

Last edited by a moderator:
I re read what I wrote didn't say anything about mandatory, but whatever you say 
"Maybe they can find a way... I'd be in favor of x years of military service, or some sort of public service for the same amount of years. Giving that person a set amount of years to comply with citizenship requirements where at the end of those years they become a full citizen. If they don't complete the program in the time frame, they would have to leave"

Sounds mandatory to me.  You're not real good at remembering what you wrote, are you?

"Maybe they can find a way... I'd be in favor of x years of military service, or some sort of public service for the same amount of years. Giving that person a set amount of years to comply with citizenship requirements where at the end of those years they become a full citizen. If they don't complete the program in the time frame, they would have to leave"

Sounds mandatory to me.  You're not real good at remembering what you wrote, are you?
This would be the part I was disputing 

"and yet you want to consider mandatory military service on them? "

I did suggest military service or public service, I didn't say military service was mandatory 

lol and hopefully your parents actually followed the law and legally immigrated 
They didn't have a choice. They were born here, too. 

Just seems bizarre to me to punish the son for the sins of the father. That's like game of thrones logic. 

And why couldn't they?  Would it need to be difficult? 

Isnt public service a requirement to graduation high school now a days? It was for my kids, what's the difference 
Deportation. Uprooting from ones life and home. 

But, yeah, totally the same thing. 

Jerry, I do give you credit for acknowledging this situation isn't easy and not just calling for mass deportation. It's a plan I wouldn't necessarily take issue with for the adults who came here outside the legal channels or have illegally re-entered. But the notion of essentially sanctioning these kids/young adults who didn't make a choice is hard for me to see as fair. 

jerry jones said:
Yup, just went back and looked...you said 1/3
"It may turn out that way Tim, but 1/3 of my family are from Mexico immigrated correctly to find work at our local steel mill. It's pretty much unanimous among those in my family supporting legal immigration and they actually look down at those who haven't."

Jerry, I do give you credit for acknowledging this situation isn't easy and not just calling for mass deportation. It's a plan I wouldn't necessarily take issue with for the adults who came here outside the legal channels or have illegally re-entered. But the notion of essentially sanctioning these kids/young adults who didn't make a choice is hard for me to see as fair. 
The deportation of lawful people is not the way to resolve this. Just giving out citizenship is also not the way

The deportation of lawful people is not the way to resolve this. Just giving out citizenship is also not the way
Why not? They'd for sure be paying taxes, sitting on jury duty, etc. I see those benefits far outweighing the minimal deterrent effect. 

Didn't democrats have control many times in the past 20 years or so? I don't think this is really a new issue as Obama and Clinton both referenced the issue when they were running for their presidency 
Well done.  It's not Trump's fault for ending DACA because's he's cruel and racist.  It's Clinton's and Obama's fault for not getting the law written in a way that it couldn't be easily undone by a cruel racist.

So are there situations where kids come over and parents get citizen but kids do not?

This is for my information. I cant figure this out

So, average DACA recipient... in their early-mid 20s, came to the States with their family when they were 5-6 years old.  
Over 90% of DACA recipients are employed or are in school.  
You get kicked out of DACA if you commit a felony.
You pay $500 every other year to stay in DACA to help pay for the costs of vetting you, with no promise of citizenship or permanent resident status, just a promise not to get deported if you stay in school, hold a steady job, and don't get convicted of a crime.  

This is the group of people Trump wants to get rid of.  People willing to pay to be vetted, get educated, hold a job, stay out of trouble.  People willing to go extra miles to stay in the only country they know, fine with no promise of citizenship down the road, seemingly the worst sin they have committed is their parents bringing them here because they might have a better life.  

DACA recipients are part of the problem, and getting rid of them is part of the solution?   

So, average DACA recipient... in their early-mid 20s, came to the States with their family when they were 5-6 years old.  
Over 90% of DACA recipients are employed or are in school.  
You get kicked out of DACA if you commit a felony.
You pay $500 every other year to stay in DACA to help pay for the costs of vetting you, with no promise of citizenship or permanent resident status, just a promise not to get deported if you stay in school, hold a steady job, and don't get convicted of a crime.  

This is the group of people Trump wants to get rid of.  People willing to pay to be vetted, get educated, hold a job, stay out of trouble.  People willing to go extra miles to stay in the only country they know, fine with no promise of citizenship down the road, seemingly the worst sin they have committed is their parents bringing them here because they might have a better life.  

DACA recipients are part of the problem, and getting rid of them is part of the solution?   

Drumpf's brilliance knows no bounds. How dare we doubt him. He tells us every day via twit-storm how great he is.....so much better than you know who....

Not many times- just once.  The 111th Congress (2009-2010). The Senate bill was S.3827. It got filibustered, 43-56.  Virtually all of the 56 votes to end cloture and vote on the bill were Dems, virtually all of the 43 votes to keep it off the floor were GOP.

Sorry, but the Republican party owns this disgrace lock stock and barrel.

just one or two steps away from fully killing the true republican party and the american dream brohans does anyone have an estimate when the death star construction starts or what take that to the bank bromigos 

So what everybody's expecting is that in about 2 hours, Jeff Sessions is going to announce that DACA will be removed in 6 months, allowing Congress to do something in the meantime. THIS Congress. Good luck with that.

So what everybody's expecting is that in about 2 hours, Jeff Sessions is going to announce that DACA will be removed in 6 months, allowing Congress to do something in the meantime. THIS Congress. Good luck with that.
It will be articulated as a "stay," an act of mercy intended to transfer culpability to Congress. They'll act like they like the program but the Constitution gives them no choice. And they won't take questions so nobody can ask them about the logical inconsistencies (why didn't they do this in January to give Congress more time to work, why did they not have similar Constitutional concerns about the president's immigration authority in the absence of legislation when they promulgated the Muslim ban, etc).

just one or two steps away from fully killing the true republican party and the american dream brohans does anyone have an estimate when the death star construction starts or what take that to the bank bromigos 
The wall is going to have an exhaust port about the size of a Womp Rat

-t4b2

Users who are viewing this thread