What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The silver lining - Trumps successes/good moves in the eyes of those who generally oppose his policies and approach (1 Viewer)

Don't look now, but this administration hasn't looked as Presidential as it has in the handling of this alleged sexual assault case with Kavanaugh.  I about fell out of my chair when Trump said that it should be looked into and investigated.

Matthias said:
So the standard for being Presidential is that what you're saying wouldn't get you banned from fbg's?
My standard for the next election is "any functioning adult"....it's my avatar and everything.  This still doesn't even measure up to that, much less being President, but i am giving him credit for not being an idiot here.  Shoot me :shrug:  

Big picture-wise, there is a nugget of truth in Donald's constant condemnation of the "Deep State," though probably not in the way he actually sees it. He thinks the biggest problem with an entrenched political class is that it won't let him be King but the reality is that the huge money constantly pouring into campaigns and the resistance of every incumbent to any meaningful campaign finance reform might be the single biggest problem facing the constitution. They may not be able to articulate it much better than Don can but the millennials are expressing deep dissatisfaction with the fundamental organization of our government and our electoral system and they're not wrong even a little bit.

Don't look now, but this administration hasn't looked as Presidential as it has in the handling of this alleged sexual assault case with Kavanaugh.  I about fell out of my chair when Trump said that it should be looked into and investigated.
#### too eager again....guy really can't get out of his own way.

I REALLY am trying here  :lmao:  

Stock market hit a record new high yesterday, plenty of jobs, plus interest rates are crazy low around 4 percent on 30 year home loans.  My first home loan was 10 percent.  He is leaving the mj/pot industry alone and some of those stocks are up 50 percent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like there needs to be some praise regarding the transparency of drug prices, but I can't really find the details on what the bill is suppose to do.  Anyone been following this?  @matttyl maybe?

I feel like there needs to be some praise regarding the transparency of drug prices, but I can't really find the details on what the bill is suppose to do.  Anyone been following this?  @matttyl maybe?
It's because Trump either doesn't understand what he signed or he lied about it.   All the two bills do is end gag clauses which prevented pharmacists from informing people when they could buy drugs directly cheaper than they could through insurance.   Neither will lower the price of any drug.   Not one.   They just allow disclosure about pricing.   

Trump claims he's lowering drug prices with these bills.

It's because Trump either doesn't understand what he signed or he lied about it.   All the two bills do is end gag clauses which prevented pharmacists from informing people when they could buy drugs directly cheaper than they could through insurance.   Neither will lower the price of any drug.   Not one.   They just allow disclosure about pricing.   

Well if sales move over to the cheaper, generic brands that would lower the cost of biuying the required medication for the patient - who would feel as if his drug prices were lowered even if the real issue that his doctor is a jerk (his doctor can continue to be a jerk for a while longer until the drug companies stop paying him for it, or he gets tired of being one, if ever).

Well if sales move over to the cheaper, generic brands that would lower the cost of biuying the required medication for the patient - who would feel as if his drug prices were lowered even if the real issue that his doctor is a jerk (his doctor can continue to be a jerk for a while longer until the drug companies stop paying him for it, or he gets tired of being one, if ever).
Yes, the disclosure ability is good because it allows consumers to help control their costs.   However, Trump is lying about what the bills do and claims that this will cause pharmacies to lower their costs due to increased competition.  He seems to not understand (or has chosen to lie about the fact) that the price of drugs is not driven by pharmacies, but by manufacturers.  

The bills are a positive step, just not in the direction that Trump is claiming.

Hadn't read that, but it doesn't surprise me.  This seems like a baby step in the right direction though...I'm ok with giving the credit where it's due and for the reasons it's due.

Hadn't read that, but it doesn't surprise me.  This seems like a baby step in the right direction though...I'm ok with giving the credit where it's due and for the reasons it's due.
Credit should go to Susan Collins, then, since she introduced the legislation.  Trump shouldn't be getting credit for signing a bill that was approved 98-2 in the Senate.

Maybe I’m just a pessimist, but this sounds more like someone didn’t want a loss in the form of a congressional vote and has simply saved face with vague “finding other sources of funding” phrase.  Let’s be glad there’s no shutdown, but were the method of funding the wall readily available you’d need a really good explanation as to why it hasn’t been utilized yet

Couldn't agree more on this, great move. 
I'm guessing this is shtick from you?  Pretty much every word in the post other than the four hyperlinked ones is misleading at best. As is listing it in this thread. The shutdown threat was entirely manufactured by Trump's petulant whining, after he trashed earlier legislative proposals that would have given him much more wall funding in exchange for common sense immigration ideas like protecting DREAMers.  Trump hasn't actually "found other ways to fulfill his campaign promise," Sanders just says he's going to.

And it's hardly a win-win; Trump tried to make a play based on leverage he no longer has, and he got worked over and laughed out of the room. He took a big fat L here. I'm glad he did, and that he didn't continue to hurt people after the writing was on the wall (assuming he doesn't reverse himself again in the next couple days), but it's hardly a win for him and his supporters.

Trump averts government shutdown.  It looks like one side is willing to avoid the shutdown and Trump has found other ways to fulfill his campaign promise.  Sounds like a win win, no thanks to Congress.
Trump folded. He was going to shutdown the government unless Congress met his demands. They called his bluff and now Sanders says they can the money elsewhere (but no details).

In related news, he was also folded on the Trump Foundation scandal and has shut it down.

I'm guessing this is shtick from you?  Pretty much every word in the post other than the four hyperlinked ones is misleading at best. As is listing it in this thread. The shutdown threat was entirely manufactured by Trump's petulant whining, after he trashed earlier legislative proposals that would have given him much more wall funding in exchange for common sense immigration ideas like protecting DREAMers.  Trump hasn't actually "found other ways to fulfill his campaign promise," Sanders just says he's going to.

And it's hardly a win-win; Trump tried to make a play based on leverage he no longer has, and he got worked over and laughed out of the room. He took a big fat L here. I'm glad he did, and that he didn't continue to hurt people after the writing was on the wall (assuming he doesn't reverse himself again in the next couple days), but it's hardly a win for him and his supporters.
Trying here, that's all. I'm glad the shutdown was called off. That's pretty much the sum of what I was thinking, aside from the fact that I edited out the 'no thanks to Congress' piece.

If you had asked me earlier this am I would have put my 20 on Miller and Trump driving this sucker right over the cliff so I'll take it.

Trying here, that's all. I'm glad the shutdown was called off. That's pretty much the sum of what I was thinking, aside from the fact that I edited out the 'no thanks to Congress' piece.

If you had asked me earlier this am I would have put my 20 on Miller and Trump driving this sucker right over the cliff so I'll take it.
Fair enough.

I think we should be careful about giving anyone-Trump administration or otherwise- credit for walking back their previous awfulness as "good moves."  Like for example I wouldn't put Trump disbanding his fraudulent Foundation in this thread either, even though it obviously was a good outcome for everyone. In both cases it's not success or a good move by Trump, it's the system finally forcing him to stop sucking as much as he'd otherwise like.

Maybe I’m just a pessimist, but this sounds more like someone didn’t want a loss in the form of a congressional vote and has simply saved face with vague “finding other sources of funding” phrase.  Let’s be glad there’s no shutdown, but were the method of funding the wall readily available you’d need a really good explanation as to why it hasn’t been utilized yet
For sure. He has been talking about how easy it will be to get the wall funded and paid for since spring of 2016. It has all been vague and none of it has to fruition. It didn't happen when controlled all of Congress and it isn't happening now that he controls half. 

What are you talking about? Mexico is going to pay remember.  

This "other source of funding" talk is the reason why House Oversight Committee needs to be vigilant on how this Administration operates.

This seems like a legitimately good thing. I wonder how the GOP is going to react - 

Trump Administration Will Ban Bump Stocks

The Trump administration moved Tuesday to officially ban bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly like automatic firearms, and has made them illegal to possess beginning in late March. 

The devices will be banned under a federal law that prohibits machine guns, according to a senior Justice Department official. 

Bump stocks became a focal point of the national gun control debate after they were used in October 2017 when a man opened fired from his Las Vegas hotel suite into a crowd at a country music concert below, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. 

Trump folded. He was going to shutdown the government unless Congress met his demands. They called his bluff and now Sanders says they can the money elsewhere (but no details).

In related news, he was also folded on the Trump Foundation scandal and has shut it down.
I agree, that's the way it appears and the Trump Foundation issue is far more serious IMO than Russia/Tax returns etc.

The Farm Bill was a bi-partisan success

Bump Stock ban liberals wanted

Opportunity Zone project black leaders are applauding

Yeah...praising him for doing the right thing and backing down some.  On the surface this is good...this all depends on where he tries to find funding for his wall.

This seems like a legitimately good thing. I wonder how the GOP is going to react - 

Trump Administration Will Ban Bump Stocks

The Trump administration moved Tuesday to officially ban bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly like automatic firearms, and has made them illegal to possess beginning in late March. 

The devices will be banned under a federal law that prohibits machine guns, according to a senior Justice Department official. 

Bump stocks became a focal point of the national gun control debate after they were used in October 2017 when a man opened fired from his Las Vegas hotel suite into a crowd at a country music concert below, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. 
We talked about this in the USA shootings thread though I wouldn't even bother wading through the crap going on in there right now to find it.  This promise was made shortly after the shooting.  I'll give him the credit for doing it once it's finally done.  Looking forward to it.

Hopefully he's signing the Farm Bill this week which includes major changes for hemp.  :thumbup:
On the fence with this one.  This bill is necessary because of his inability to understand basic economics.  He's getting no real movement towards his desired goal with China and he's putting the US farmers in a significant long term pinch.  Yes, this will bring relief to their pain, but his ignorance is the primary source of said pain.  For now, I'll allow it  ;)  

I admit I haven't read through the whole thread, so apologies if this was already mentioned.  I'll give Trump credit for the "Space Force".  At first I laughed, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's a good idea.  Before we had aircraft the idea of an "air force" seemed absurd, but as technology advances we need to evolve.  Even if the Space Force is just tasked with planning space debris removal.  Seems like every few weeks I am reading about space probes going places and doing things that would have been unimaginable even 10 years ago.  I'd much rather our resources be spent on space-related activities than mass producing out-dated tanks.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/677760140/u-s-space-command-is-revived-as-vice-president-pence-unveils-plan-in-florida

https://dbdailyupdate.com/index.php/2018/12/03/donald-trump-just-keeps-on-winning-for-america/

President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed during the G-20 Summit over the weekend to a 90-day pause in the ongoing trade war between the two nations. While leftists in and out of our fake news media are poo-pooing the deal as just a return to the status quo prior to President Trump’s implementation of new tariffs, that is not the case at all.

The U.S. side of the deal apparently consists of agreeing to not increase U.S. tariffs on hundreds of billions of Chinese goods for the 90-day period, as Trump had threatened to do on January 1. In return, China agrees to rescind its tariffs on imports of U.S. automobiles, roll back its 40% tariff rates on most U.S. goods to lower levels, agreed to purchase an as-yet unspecified amount of U.S. goods to reduce the trade deficit, and – perhaps most importantly – to “stiffen penalties on sales of the powerful opioid fentanyl into the U.S., a step the White House press secretary described as ‘a wonderful humanitarian gesture.'”

Leftists might not like it, but the markets obviously do: Dow futures are up bigly as I write this Update this morning.  #WINNING.

Well....####, my bad guys.  I thought it might be a breakthrough.  Butcher Boy....would you mind keeping this stuff out of the thread?  This is exactly the opposite of what it was started for.

Well....####, my bad guys.  I thought it might be a breakthrough.  Butcher Boy....would you mind keeping this stuff out of the thread?  This is exactly the opposite of what it was started for.
This thread is for positive things, isn’t it? Or only positive things the left agrees with? That will never happen. If something I post is factually incorrect, prove it and I’ll edit. 

This thread is for positive things, isn’t it? Or only positive things the left agrees with? That will never happen. If something I post is factually incorrect, prove it and I’ll edit. 
You said in the other thread that nobody refuted what you see as positive about Trump but you still haven’t commented on the NYT article I posted

The title tells you what it's for :shrug:

In response to the bold, somehow we got to 4 whole pages towards something that "will never happen".  Funny how that works.  You should go back and read the thread to get a good feel for the spirit of this thread if the title isn't clear enough for you.

ETA:  Do I really have to go through this whole thing about opinions vs right/wrong etc?  I hope not.

The title tells you what it's for :shrug:

In response to the bold, somehow we got to 4 whole pages towards something that "will never happen".  Funny how that works.  You should go back and read the thread to get a good feel for the spirit of this thread if the title isn't clear enough for you.

ETA:  Do I really have to go through this whole thing about opinions vs right/wrong etc?  I hope not.
The 4 pages are filled with people offering up an accomplishment but with a string attached.  Like "Sure Trump accomplished this, BUT xxxxxx..." Or people who  question whether something that is factually true is an accomplishment, or people just making jokes.  It's really not a comprehensive list of what he has accomplished.  

Back to your previous reply to me, what do you mean by "this stuff"?

The 4 pages are filled with people offering up an accomplishment but with a string attached.  Like "Sure Trump accomplished this, BUT xxxxxx..." Or people who  question whether something that is factually true is an accomplishment, or people just making jokes.  It's really not a comprehensive list of what he has accomplished.  

Back to your previous reply to me, what do you mean by "this stuff"?
Ok....maybe this isn't the thread for you  :shrug:   

I'm sorry I brought it to your attention.  Have a good one :thumbup:  

The Bump Stock thing is good and hopefully is followed through on. Like making it where you get caught with one it’s akin to getting caught with an M60 in your trunk (aka prison time).

And for the love of God use the Ignore feature and stop quoting trolls.

I'm sorry.  My point is not to frustrate, its to educate.
It's not frustrating at all.  This thread is pretty measured in its praise and for good reason.  It is not filled with undeserving or unqualified praise for the smallest of things.  That means you won't find praise for getting out of messes he creates.  And you won't find praise for things that haven't come to be.  This is mainly because the people in this thread have watched things unfold many times and learned that "believe it when I see it" is the way to go with someone who lies and distorts truth as boldly and blatantly as this guy does.  So if you want unfettered praise for things that might happen or things he is claiming happened that haven't, you're going to be disappointed. :shrug:  

The Bump Stock thing is good and hopefully is followed through on. Like making it where you get caught with one it’s akin to getting caught with an M60 in your trunk (aka prison time).

And for the love of God use the Ignore feature and stop quoting trolls.
Agreed. I am not sure where the bump stock thing came from but I am glad it happened. 

I haven't read the text of the law yet, but from the reporting, I'm very happy with the prison reform.  I don't care who wrote it or why.  I don't care if it came from Dems or Republicans, or Trump or Kushner.  It's about damn time for criminal justice reform in this country.  Yes, it's probably just a small step.  But this small step is a hell of a lot more than what's been offered up in the past.

My first boss at my first law firm, who did a lot of lobbying type work, used to say that if you wanted to get a liberal policy passed, get a conservative to write/propose it.  And vice versa.  i.e., Nixon/China and Clinton/Welfare.

So look at me, praising this administration for an action.  :confetti:

Users who are viewing this thread