What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots acquired WR Phillip Dorsett from the Colts in exchange for QB Jacoby Brissett. (1 Viewer)

Dorsett had a chance to be a player with a good QB in Indy, Moncrief always Hurt, Hilton hurt too for many games and Dorsett never showed up.

I dont think this means anything in Lucks prospects, hwo can anyone expect to lead a team anytime soon without knowing a playbook.

He'll be their punt returner. Prolly not a whole lot more.
You are aware that Dorsett is one of the most athletic players in the league just gifted to one of the most prolific teams to ever exist? I agree, he will need time to adjust but to think there isn't more to this is silly. Colts made a mistake here. Couldn't make him fit with their ####ty head coach and gave him away for a 3rd string QB.

You are aware that Dorsett is one of the most athletic players in the league just gifted to one of the most prolific teams to ever exist? I agree, he will need time to adjust but to think there isn't more to this is silly. Colts made a mistake here. Couldn't make him fit with their ####ty head coach and gave him away for a 3rd string QB.
Punt returner and depth. We'll revisit year end.

Looks like a slot guy to me.
Not that rotoworld is gospel by any means, but...

Patriots acquired WR Phillip Dorsett from the Colts in exchange for QB Jacoby Brissett.

The Colts are cutting their losses and the Patriots are bolstering their depth. Despite his 5-foot-10, 185-pound frame, Dorsett has not been a slot man in the NFL, but his availability on the outside will make it easier for the Pats to stick Chris Hogan in the middle. Dorsett has been close to a complete bust in the NFL, but had a decent preseason with the Colts' woeful quarterbacks, catching five passes for 75 yards. He's averaged 14.8 yards per catch as an NFLer. He bolsters the Pats' depth and provides a big-play element. He won't have immediate re-draft value.

Related: Colts

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

Sep 2 - 1:55 PM

This will end up being a bad, bad trade for Indy. I would be horrified if I was Andrew Luck but Chuck Pagano's idiot maneuvers may have already ended his career playing him through injury.
I don't see it that bad. Dorsett wasn't anything special and Tolzein doesn't offer you much if Luck is out an extended time. I'd feel better with Jacoby under center than Scott. 

Dorsett is going to a more complex pass offense than Indy so I don't see his 33 receptions growing. Sure Indy loses a special teams guy but nothing more IMO. 

I don't see it that bad. Dorsett wasn't anything special and Tolzein doesn't offer you much if Luck is out an extended time. I'd feel better with Jacoby under center than Scott. 

Dorsett is going to a more complex pass offense than Indy so I don't see his 33 receptions growing. Sure Indy loses a special teams guy but nothing more IMO. 
This is more about keeping Amendola healthy and not doing punt returns in my opinion. 

It is amazing how BB keeps surprising...never know what the guy will do next...Dorsett was a horrific draft pick for the Colts...just foolish...I am guessing they would love to have him carve out a role in the kicking game and make a few big plays during the year with his athleticism...as for Hogan I don't see it having any effect on him unless Dorsett suddenly plays like a first-rounder which is highly doubtful...this is bad news for the DJ Fosters and Austin Carrs...numbers were already tight and this makes them tighter...as for Brissett they sure gave up on him quickly...he went from a third round pick with ton of leadership skills to on the outs in a real short period of time...whatever they see they don't like it at all...feels like Kevin O'Connell part two...

For the Colts I actually see the thought process here...there is definitely something off with Luck and they needed more depth...instead of bringing in a retread why not bring in a youngster with at least some upside...if he plays and looks good you may have a future back-up to Luck...this looks like a tough year for the Colts and they are probably concerned about putting unnecessary mileage on him...getting Luck back to 100% has to be priority #1 for them...

Hard to read what this really means.  I think it's just as likely that they needed outside WR depth so they could move Hogan in to the middle as it is that they plan on moving Dorsett into the middle himself.  Could really go either way.

Honest-to-god, flat-out stoopit move. What the Pats lost with Edelman, they're not replacing with ANYBODY. Mitchell and Carr are as good a WR5/6 as any team's in the game, both better than Dorsett i guar-on-tee and their progress will be further ######ed by this move, if they dont lose one of em completely (and Carr's f'real). Other than his regular development of the Troy/Welker/Edelman types Brady needs, BB is an entire iijitt about wides. And using an "asset" to get this bum when there's an actual need @ edge-rusher compounds it.

One of the main criteria to be a Patriot slot WR is to be able to take a serious beating...Welker and Edelman both got their share of hellacious hits and never backed down...if you are not built to handle that you are not gonna last long...Dorsett doesn't look that part at all...right now I don't see one guy handling the slot...I don't think any of the guys on the roster are built to do it for 16 games...my guess is it is a team effort with Hogan, Amendola, Cooks and White being the likely guys to man it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like there is a lot of wild speculation going on with this trade. I don't think this tells us anything about Luck, or anything about Hogan's role. This was simply, New England didn't want to carry 3 QB's, and Brissett is a much better prospect than Tolzien or Morris. 

This is 2 guys going to better situations for them, and a very fair deal in my opinion. Dorsett is likely just a backup, maybe he helps as a returner(though he never did that in Indy) or he provides another WR, so they can use Amendola on returns. 

Brissett upgrades both the short and long term backup QB options, he may not be anything special, but Morris has shown nothing, and we know Tolzien is awful. 

Honest-to-god, flat-out stoopit move. What the Pats lost with Edelman, they're not replacing with ANYBODY. Mitchell and Carr are as good a WR5/6 as any team's in the game, both better than Dorsett i guar-on-tee and their progress will be further ######ed by this move, if they dont lose one of em completely (and Carr's f'real). Other than his regular development of the Troy/Welker/Edelman types Brady needs, BB is an entire iijitt about wides. And using an "asset" to get this bum when there's an actual need @ edge-rusher compounds it.
They were cutting Brissett anyway.

Neither of these guys are good. This is like the Colts trading Dorsett for a 6th round pick, and the Patriots trading Brissett to get their 6th back.

Carr likely was not making the finally 53 man roster anyone. He didn't ever really practice with the ones . . . or much with the twos. Even though he looked good in the preseason games playing with a bunch of puzzle random pieces, from what I have seen he seemed destined for the practice squad.

BB seemingly did not want to carry three QB's, and if he tried to get Brissett on to the practice squad,he could have been lost for nothing if another team claimed him.

Colts probably did make a mistake letting Dorsett go, but Brissett is not your average 3rd stringer, and Dorsett will only contribute on special teams unless Hogan or Mitchell gets hurt.

Editted to add the deal makes me think BB has lost faith in Mitchell's ability to stay on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread