What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buyer's remorse (1 Viewer)

BAT1man

Footballguy
Had my draft today in my long time home town league. 12-team high performance league. 

Three of the seventeen rounds, I thought I could wait one more round to draft a player, only to find someone else taking them before my next turn. 

This left me regretting those pick. Who did you wait on, only to miss out?

Here are mine:

Drafted Eric Decker (9th) and missed the Patriots D in the 10th. I think they'll be a top 3 D in our scoring system, this seaso.

Drafted Baltimore D (11th) and missed Rex Burkhead. I think he is the Pats RB to own and will help many teams to the playoffs this year. 

Drafted Mason Crosby (13th) and missed Ted Ginn Jr.  Ginn has stone hands, but I think this season, he finds a way to catch the ball and put up WR 2 numbers. 

Who did you wait too long on and regret it?

In a draft a couple weeks ago I passed on Doug Martin and took luck (8th rd). Got Winston three rounds later, making me wish I had stuck to my guns. 

That is all part of it. Most people have access to the same information so you need to draft accordingly   if you are extra high on a player you need to jump on him. 

That's a price you pay for taking Defenses and Kickers so early
I took a kicker for the first time ever in the round before the last, have always taken a kicker in the last round. I took Bailey and still cut him...because he is just a kicker. Lutz, Boswell and Koo will do just the same when I scoop them when I need them. I will continue to draft in last round again as it is pointless to take a kicker before your last pick. You will have to cut him for bye week anyways most likely.

You cant predict kickers, I just likes ones in domes or good weather on team that cant score TDs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my draft today in my long time home town league. 12-team high performance league. 

Three of the seventeen rounds, I thought I could wait one more round to draft a player, only to find someone else taking them before my next turn. 

This left me regretting those pick. Who did you wait on, only to miss out?

Here are mine:

Drafted Eric Decker (9th) and missed the Patriots D in the 10th. I think they'll be a top 3 D in our scoring system, this seaso.

Drafted Baltimore D (11th) and missed Rex Burkhead. I think he is the Pats RB to own and will help many teams to the playoffs this year.
No offense but these are some fairly classic drafting mistakes.

1. Looking for defense in the single digit rounds. Who cares if they're the top scoring defense (they likely won't even be top 4 after DEN, KC, MIN, btw)

2. When missing a pick, panicking and settling for the "next tier" instead of looking over all of the positions to see who to target instead. If 10th round is Burkhead ADP (who's in the worst RBBC in the NFL, by the way) then the move when you missed the Pats D was to move on & draft Burkhead. 

You allowed one missed pick to have a domino effect on your draft. 

Be happy - Decker is a decent pick in the 9th. The Ravens pick in the 10th is shameful, and you should be made to wear a scarlet D for the entire football season for spending a 10th rounder on a D/ST. ;)  

Good luck. 

When i'm making a pick and deciding between two players i ask myself who will i feel more regret on if I don't end up with them. Then i pick accordingly.

When i'm making a pick and deciding between two players i ask myself who will i feel more regret on if I don't end up with them. Then i pick accordingly.
This is what I did. Auction league and we were down to dollar picks. I either could take Ertz (needed a TE), but would risk losing Derek Henry.  Hindsight, I coulda got both, but would have been more upset to lose Henry. So I took Henry. 

Strange how drafts go.   Some years, it fells like players fall right to you and other years it feels like you don't like anyone on the board.   I hated my draft this year from the second round.   I got Evans at 1.11 but then McCoy fell to me with my second pick.  You draft the best you can and see what happens.  It's a long season.   

I had a hard time not laughing at the OP. You completely deserved that happened by taking defense and kicker so early. You made the right choice by not taking the Pats D that early. 

Unless your league has special scoring for Ks and Ds it's not worth taking them until the last three rounds. Even if the scoring is different it seems like a terrible idea. 

I had a hard time not laughing at the OP. You completely deserved that happened by taking defense and kicker so early. You made the right choice by not taking the Pats D that early. 

Unless your league has special scoring for Ks and Ds it's not worth taking them until the last three rounds. Even if the scoring is different it seems like a terrible idea. 
I laughed  :lmao:

Paid 10% for Jordan Reed for my flex in an auction, even though I was wanting to wait on Tyreek Hill and Doug Martin. Tyreek went next for 5%, and I didn't have money to buy him.  Martin went really late for cheap.

I'll add a kicker at some point this week. There's very little difference between drafting one late or passing and taking a flyer on a lottery ticket.

The last round pick is for DST, I usually swap them out all year anyway, and there are always value picks in rounds 13-16.

I took Derek Carr at 10.08 - Ted Ginn went next, I should have taken him as my WR4 and taken Dalton, Rivers or Stafford coming back at 11.03. Instead I ended up with Marvin Jones. My bench WRs ended up being Corey Coleman, Corey Davis, and Cooper Kupp. Would have preferred Zay Jones had I known the Titans rookie WR injury would linger.

That's a price you pay for taking Defenses and Kickers so early
I certainly appreciate this insightful comment from someone who I assume has no concept of what a high performance league is and hasn't played in this format for 25 years like I have. 

Not that you'd understand the strategy, but that was the 7th defense and 5th kicker taken.  

Good luck in your Yahoo league. 

I have Matt Forte on my team. Even Matt Forte doesn't have Matt Forte on his team this year. Matt Forte's mom wouldn't draft him. Why do I have him then? Panic I guess.

Yes.....My league has special scoring for defense and kicker. That is what "high performance league" means.  So the picks were justified at that spot.

No offense, but this wasn't a "rate my draft" or "tell me where I blew it" post.

This isn't a simple beginner standard scoring or PPR league. This league has bonuses for most common stats. 

If you wish to give "rate my draft" advice, maybe try the Assistant Coach forum. 

Did you have any regrets in your drafts due to thinking you could wait one more round for a player?

Not to bag on OP too much, but I've been doing fantasy for a long time and I don't think I've ever heard the term "high performance league". Maybe it pre-dates me or something, but I think you may be overestimating the number of other people who know what you're talking about when you say that.

My only "regrets" from my solo redraft league (been trying to cut down) are that I underestimated the fact that I play with 8/12 people who are from Nebraska, thus Abdullah and Burkhead got drafted way too early and before I had them targeted. 

I took D Hopkins instead of D Thomas. Rethinking that one...
Oddly enough sitting in the same boat myself. Took Hopkins instead of D Thomas, and feeling a little remorse about that. With a 2nd round Elliot pick, and Mixon/Martin in the mix too, I'm worried that I left myself too thin for the first half of the season to really be terribly competitive. Time will tell I reckon.

I hate to but I'll bite, why is it a high performance league?
Here's the link to my league website. You can check the scoring. 

http://www75.myfantasyleague.com/2017/options?L=30023&O=09

In most leagues, you get 6 points for a TD.  In a high performance league, you get points based on the performance of the player. In this league, the points earned is based on length of TD. 1-19 yards = 6, 20-49 yds = 9, >=50 = 12.  If your player scores outside their specialty (RB receiving a TD, WR or QB running a TD, you get advanced bonuses. 1-19 yards = 9, 20-49 yds = 13, >=50 = 18.  You get yardage bonuses, yards per carry bonuses, completion percentage bonuses,etc, and they escalate based on how well they did.  Defenses get bonuses for points allowed and yardage allowed.  Defensive scores are based on distance, too. Kickers get bonuses for distance of kicks.  There is simply too much to explain in a post.  Go to the league website and check the scoring.  

You can look over the draft, if you want.  My team in the Vulcan Taint Pinchers. You'll see that I did lots of draft moves that don't go by the book most of the masses read.  But, I've been playing in leagues like this since 1987, so I know how to win. Wait on a top QB and lose.  Miss a top 5 defense or kicker and struggle.  Waiting until the last round is the key to last place.

Did you love every one of your picks, or did you have any buyer's remorse?  :)

sigh if every kicker gets the bonus and every qb gets the same bonus it ... never mind you've been doing this for 25 years, you are a god of fantasy football never mind.

biggest regret this season was not leaving myself enough money for a decent qb2 (start 2) in my auction instead of having mccown, kizer, and trubisky.  Love the talent i spent the money on but, probably could have switched money from arob/snead to a little lower flex/bench player to sure up that qb2 spot.

Not to bag on OP too much, but I've been doing fantasy for a long time and I don't think I've ever heard the term "high performance league". Maybe it pre-dates me or something, but I think you may be overestimating the number of other people who know what you're talking about when you say that.
Footballguys has cheat sheets for high performance leagues, so it's not that uncommon. However, even the VBD tool can't be adjusted to account for the specialized scoring my league uses.

You do make a valid point. Most "experts" on TV and radio consider PPR leagues sophisticated.

I took Crabtree over D. Thomas in a non-ppr.   I don't like the QB in Den and the lack of redzone targets DT receives.  That one may come back to bite me.

First off @BAT1man big props to anyone using an Altrusian as their avatar. :thumbup:

Second, first off; how are you?

I have only played in one league of mostly locals (12 team Super-flex, PPR, TE/WR combined) for the past 20+ years.  Typically I come out of a draft with at least one regret or another. Often it is, as you describe, something that immediately appears like an obvious mistake right after the draft (with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight).

This is one of the very rare years where...I...don't...have...any...regrets.  A very odd feeling no doubt.

If I must be critical of my team; I am not super-thrilled to have Carlos Hyde as my #2 RB to start the season. From the 10 spot my draft developed where WR was the obvious strength early (1.10 Julio, 2.3 M.Evans) and J.Howard fell to 3.10 so I love my core but at 4.3 I absolutely and desperately needed a QB (16 had come off the board by then, remember it's a super-flex league, and E.Manning was the best of the bunch, he's not exciting but he should play 16 and I needed that at that point. I do not regret the Manning pick in the least).  So come 5.10 the value was there for Hyde IMO (L.Miller went 5.9 [I prefer Hyde] and McCaffrey (5.4) and Hunt (5.5) all went before Hyde. RBs who went after Hyde were J.Mixon (5.11), B.Powell (6.1), J.White (6.4) & M.Ingram (6.5).  Ingram is one I might consider before Hyde but probably not).

I also kind of regret taking Samaje Perine at 11.10 as the #43 RB off the board.  He's my #5 RB (Burkhead is my #6) and I am already thinking about cutting bait for a more interesting player but whatever.

But, truth is, I love my team which is a rare feeling for me coming out of a draft. So I'm going to try and enjoy it.

I took Crabtree over D. Thomas in a non-ppr.   I don't like the QB in Den and the lack of redzone targets DT receives.  That one may come back to bite me.
I like that decision.  You probably could have gambled and waited a round as D.Thomas was likely going earlier than Crabtree but I think year-end-production will favor Crabs.

Even though I think CMC is an insane talent, I took him over Hyde and Hunt in PPR leagues. I'm starting to regret this,I think Hyde is a steal in the 3rd round even in PPR leagues.

I did manage to get Gurley, Cook,Henry, and Burkhead so I'm not exactly hurting at RB. I can wait for the chance he takes over in the 2nd half. 

I took Allen Robinson in the 4th round in like 3 leagues, hoping to snap Diggs also in the 5th.  It only worked in 1 out of 3 leagues. Wish I had Diggs over Robinson... 

My biggest regret was in my big auction - taking cheap WRs late when I should have stocked up on a couple more RBs. I have Kupp and John Brown as my 5th and 6th WRs. I doubt I will ever start them yet I suspect they will be startable. I don't think anyone will trade for them and I hate to drop startable players.  

My regret is having CJA as my RB2.  There just wasnt any better options and I felt desperate for a RB2 in rd 5.  Looking back,  I should have went Hyde in rd 4 instead of Allen Robinson and then went with Benjamin instead of CJA

IMO Hyde + Benjamin > Robinson + CJA 

hopefully it works out 

I have Matt Forte on my team. Even Matt Forte doesn't have Matt Forte on his team this year. Matt Forte's mom wouldn't draft him. Why do I have him then? Panic I guess.
He could be the Blake Bortles of '17 - using garbagetime to crawl up the FF ladder

I was hoping leveon bell would fall to me in the third round.  When he didn't and went second overall I punched the guy next to me in a mixture of disbelief and anger.  Very remorseful today.

Only regret I can think of out of all my leagues right now was getting too cheap in my auction and not spending more on a RB1. Hyde is my current RB1. 

Other than that I'm very happy with all my drafts as of now. That will certainly change in a few weeks though. 

Took Mixon as my RB2 over Fournette who ended up going s full round later. Hindsight definitely would have taken the guy with the guaranteed workload. 

Aldo not happy I swooped Snead. Not just because of the suspension but even before then it looks like Ginn is the non Thomas receiver to own there

avoiding injuries said:
I took D Hopkins instead of D Thomas. Rethinking that one...
I did the opposite and while I'm not necessarily upset I'm not confident I made the right choice either. I was questioning myself when Hopkins went two picks later.

Really think Graham is going to have a big year at TE....Targeted him early, just missed getting him. Sometimes you just have to take the player early that you want, forget about which round.

Buyer's remorse on missing Tedd freaking Ginn in the 13th round??  I do believe I've officially seen it all now.

Users who are viewing this thread