What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ken Burns New Vietnam War Doc (1 Viewer)

Bumping as a reminder that this starts tonight. Set your DVRs!

From what I've read and watched, this looks to be one of the better Ken Burns documentary series and I'm glad this was done now considering the age of the Vets. The score even includes new works by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross as well as Yo-Yo Ma!

McGarnicle said:
I wish it was dropping all at once netflix style. Looking forward to it though.
I might have to wait for it on Netflix. My DVR is pretty loaded and this show will be 2 hours every night. They should spread it out to once a week.

Looking forward to it though. The only series I've seen from Burns is the Jazz one and that was really good.

Marc Maron had Ken Burns on WTF this week. Was a good listen. They worked on this for over 10 years.

They look at things from the North Vietnam side and interview people who were on both sides of the same battle.

Can't wait!

I might have to wait for it on Netflix. My DVR is pretty loaded and this show will be 2 hours every night. They should spread it out to once a week.

Looking forward to it though. The only series I've seen from Burns is the Jazz one and that was really good.
Would recommend The War, Prohibition, the Civil War, the Roosevelts, Central Park Five, and Jackie Robinson. Baseball too if you're a fan, but it's long. 

He definitely has a knack for finding every nook & cranny of a subject.

Would recommend The War, Prohibition, the Civil War, the Roosevelts, Central Park Five, and Jackie Robinson. Baseball too if you're a fan, but it's long. 

He definitely has a knack for finding every nook & cranny of a subject.
Oh yeah, I did see the Prohibition one.

According to some local PBS website I just read, the first 5 episodes should be available to stream on PBS sometime tonight after the premiere, next five on the 24th.
Yep this is awesome, no need to wait to binge the whole thing. PBS stations are showing episodes 1-5 tonight through Thursday, then 6-10 next Sunday through Thursday. Plus the online streaming option. On the Sam Harris podcast, Burns said all 10 will be available starting tonight. I see a PBS app on Roku, will check to see if it works. Hopefully they have the explicit language version.

Really great episode and the way it told the French story and flash forward to the mistakes repeating themselves was excellent. I had high hopes for this and think it really will meet those after watching this episode. 

Really great episode and the way it told the French story and flash forward to the mistakes repeating themselves was excellent. I had high hopes for this and think it really will meet those after watching this episode. 
Interesting to see events unfold in the context of what was happening in Korea, China and Russia, as well as our own political climate here at home. I already learned a ton of crap I didn't know.

First five are up on the PBS app right now for free, but the last 5 are behind the paywall. I'm hoping the last 5 will be available for free after they air 

Still a cluster#### - the stupidest game of "Who's in charge here?!" ever played. We may have taken the most ruinous possible tack, but it was never going to come out well. Because he's done such a good job making sense of history, i'd hoped ken Burns would have some impact on my 50 yr case of agita, but nope. Still a good show.

I really like that Karl Marlantes had a prominent role in the first episode. I think his books are must reads even if you don't have an interest in the Vietnam war. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to DVR and check it out. I really like many of the docs Burns has done but Vietnam isn't a major area of interest for me and these are big investments. If the buzz is good, I'll go along for the ride.

Oddly, my wife, who doesn't care about any non WW2 related history, wants to watch it. I'm guessing she will be bored out of her mind about 15 minutes in.

I tried to watch the 2nd part on the Roku PBS Channel but I guess they won't allow during primetime because it tells me it is temporarily available.  Even went back to part 1 and got the same message.  

Really enjoying this so far. It's funny but even with 50+ years of hindsight, I can sort of see why so many people felt so strongly that we had to get involved and stay involved. We think of Global Communism as a historical artifact and a punchline now, but people felt very differently back then and it's much harder to have that objective distance when you're living through something. 

Really enjoying this so far. It's funny but even with 50+ years of hindsight, I can sort of see why so many people felt so strongly that we had to get involved and stay involved. We think of Global Communism as a historical artifact and a punchline now, but people felt very differently back then and it's much harder to have that objective distance when you're living through something. 
Agree but was surprising to see JFK admit that they weren't going to win so early in the war but he needed to stay in it to win the election.  The entire war is a giant tragedy.  

Good point.  While there were plenty of people back then that didn't buy into the Domino Theory, it was absolutely plausible and real to most policy makers in the US.

And I don't remember which episode it was but somebody made a good point about how WWII made people hyper-aware of stopping dictatorships before they became too powerful.  

Good point.  While there were plenty of people back then that didn't buy into the Domino Theory, it was absolutely plausible and real to most policy makers in the US.

And I don't remember which episode it was but somebody made a good point about how WWII made people hyper-aware of stopping dictatorships before they became too powerful.  
I think I heard that in the doc itself. It's important for us to remember that all of the military lessons U.S. leadership brought to Vietnam were learned in World War II and Korea to a lesser extent. I can empathize with those who struggled with the notion that we weren't just fighting a government, we were fighting an idea that most of a country was totally committed to.

Watched episode 1 last night - Burns is such a great storyteller.  
And the footage - i realize he had more to work with than Matthew Brady daguerrotypes this time, but Nam was pretty scattershot coveragewise in the first decade but he & his people had footage - which they had to mine the majority of from leftover Viet Minh sources - for everything they talked about and that's miraculous.

On Domino, the guys who taught me hippieness - Free Speech, SDS, on&on&on about Algeria and Fanon beatnik types - would never let go of the similarities between Ho/Diem and Mosedegh/Pahlevi in terms of early CIA working for MIC on everything. Burns shows remarkable restraint in the first two eps to not target the M-I Complex's hand in all this, which would politicize viewers away instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that strikes me the most, 2 episodes in, is how sympathetic a character Ho Chi Minh seems to be. Ive heard his name all my life, but never really knew anything about him. To hear his history, and his belief that America would support/save Vietnam from the oppressive colonialism of the French, and then to see all the myriad political snafus that had us backing the wrong dog in the fight, is tragic.

Also, JFK may have been our last great president, before television killed the integrity of the office. I go back and forth on my opinion of him, and disagree with some of his policies (given that i have the benefit if hindsight) but he seems like a real-life Jeb Bartlett. At least he understood what the office meant.

Users who are viewing this thread