What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Week 1 content (1 Viewer)

Badm

Footballguy
Loving it as always. 2 questions.

1. Article IDP Dynasty Sleepers - is it written by Settles or Tietgen, Link says Settles, the actual page says Tietgen. Just curious and I love the out of box perspective on things.... 

2. If you look at the above article (IDP sleepers) and EOTG and Dodds/Norton projections, you get 3 stories surrounding Cincy LB's while Burfict is out. Is the situation there clear as mud?

1.  Tietgen.  We'll get that fixed.  Thanks for the heads-up.  And appreciate the kind words, especially in my inaugural swing at this.  I get a lot of my ideas by interacting with you fine folks on this board, so please keep up the great discourse.  Having a knowledgeable base of forum regulars makes things super easy.

2.  I think that's the beauty of having multiple angles/voices.  If two or three "experts" agree on something, it's rare.  And usually means it's one of those "no brainer" types of things.  And what fun is that?  So yes, this is a "clear as mud" type of thing.  I've read Rey will get the start, as he's the veteran and has filled in (I guess somewhat admirably?) in the past.  But I think Minter is just the better, younger, faster and more dynamic linebacker.  I've also read that the team plans on using a committee approach.  I think they know what they have in Rey and will likely give Minter a shot at earning more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.  Tietgen.  We'll get that fixed.  Thanks for the heads-up.  And appreciate the kind words, especially in my inaugural swing at this.  I get a lot of my ideas by interacting with you fine folks on this board, so please keep up the great discourse.  Having a knowledgeable base of forum regulars makes things super easy.

2.  I think that's the beauty of having multiple angles/voices.  If two or three "experts" agree on something, it's rare.  And usually means it's one of those "no brainer" types of things.  And what fun is that?  So yes, this is a "clear as mud" type of thing.  I've read Rey will get the start, as he's the veteran and has filled in (I guess somewhat admirably?) in the past.  But I think Minter is just the better, younger, faster and more dynamic linebacker.  I've also read that the team plans on using a committee approach.  I think they know what they have in Rey and will likely give Minter a shot at earning more time.
How would you compare Minter's perceived opportunities to Nick Vigil's regarding the Cincy LB corps.   I noticed in preseason (pre-Burfict susp), Minter coming out on passing downs, while Vigil stayed in.   Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you compare Minter's perceived opportunities to Nick Vigil's regarding the Cincy LB corps.   I noticed in preseason (pre-Burfict susp), Minter coming out on passing downs, while Vigil stayed in.   Thanks!
I think it's just a mess altogether.  Vigil definitely has some upside.  I've just been on the Minter bandwagon since he was drafted and thought this would be his best opportunity.

Does Bramel still do his IDP rundown on Sundays?
Jene isn't writing IDP content this season - just injuries.  Sucks, of course, but I'm glad for all the great articles in past years, and hope it comes back sometime in the future.

Green Bay

Fourth down

At least to start the season, the Packers’ top draft pick, Kevin King, isn’t among their top three cornerbacks. Coordinator Dom Capers used his nitro package almost the entire game — that’s a nickel defense where safety Morgan Burnett is one of the two inside linebackers. The three cornerbacks on the field were House and Damarious Randall on the outside, and Quinten Rollins in the slot. King came on in the last couple weeks of training camp, but Capers stuck with Rollins ahead of him — if King makes the top three, he’d play on the outside and Randall would move to the slot. You have to wonder if one of the reasons for going with Rollins on Sunday was to help the run defense. He’s a better run defender than Randall. The nitro already is a smaller defense with Burnett at inside linebacker, so Capers might have wanted his best slot run defender on the field to help compensate. 

Green Bay

Fourth down

At least to start the season, the Packers’ top draft pick, Kevin King, isn’t among their top three cornerbacks. Coordinator Dom Capers used his nitro package almost the entire game — that’s a nickel defense where safety Morgan Burnett is one of the two inside linebackers. The three cornerbacks on the field were House and Damarious Randall on the outside, and Quinten Rollins in the slot. King came on in the last couple weeks of training camp, but Capers stuck with Rollins ahead of him — if King makes the top three, he’d play on the outside and Randall would move to the slot. You have to wonder if one of the reasons for going with Rollins on Sunday was to help the run defense. He’s a better run defender than Randall. The nitro already is a smaller defense with Burnett at inside linebacker, so Capers might have wanted his best slot run defender on the field to help compensate. 
Who's the other ILB in that formation - Martinez?

Looking through some snap counts, focusing on my own players...

-SF played 3 safeties on every play.  What was the alignment?  Reid, Tartt, Johnson

-Kirksey, Schobert, and Collins played 60/60/59 snaps - must all have been on the field in all situations.  It looks like they might have pulled a lineman for nickel/dime.

-Across from Khalil Mack, it's a time split - Edwards and Autry each got half the snaps.

-Tyrell Adams/Marquel Lee 41/21 snaps.  Cory James got 60 of 64 snaps.

-Avery Williamson was only in on 65% of snaps.

-Killebrew got the big play, but was on 39%.  Tavon Wilson was on 99%.

-Blake Martinez had 86% of snaps, probably answers my question in the previous post.

-Charles Johnson on 49% snaps, Addison on 63%.

-Haason Reddick's stats were fine, but only 55% of snaps.

-Arizona seemed to play 3 safeties most plays.  Branch 100%, Mathieu 100%, Bethea 85%

-Some new LBs on 98+% of plays: BJ Goodson, Ramon Humber, Joe Schobert

-Nigel Bradham still a hidden every-play LB

-Zach Brown and Mason Foster 100% snaps, Compton 0 snaps - very clear-cut, which is nice.

-DJ Swearinger had 97% of snaps - good waiver target

-Minter was only on 58% of snaps

-Bostic was on 100%, Morrison 88%.

-Dante Fowler only 44% - great stats, but beware.

-Ramik Wilson only 31%, even without Ragland playing.

-Ron Parker 100%, Daniel Sorensen 59%... did anyone see what happened after Berry got hurt?  Is Sorensen the target?

-Kyle Van Noy 100%, Elandon Roberts 13%, David Harris 3%.  Pretty dramatic shakeup there.

-Demario Davis and Marcus Maye 100% of snaps on an awful team.

Jax LB's:

Smith - 100%

Jack - 100%

Smoot - 10%

Posluszny - 8%????? He had 2 games last year less than 100%. A 95.5% and a 76.5%.

No other LB's had snaps.

Jax LB's:

Smith - 100%

Jack - 100%

Smoot - 10%

Posluszny - 8%????? He had 2 games last year less than 100%. A 95.5% and a 76.5%.

No other LB's had snaps.
How did Smith end up with such a low score?  I watched the game and Jack was everywhere but Smith was invisible. He had a fumble recovery for a TD called back on review.  Did the Houston offense not provide enough opportunities?  Too many incomplete passes and sacks?

How did Smith end up with such a low score?  I watched the game and Jack was everywhere but Smith was invisible. He had a fumble recovery for a TD called back on review.  Did the Houston offense not provide enough opportunities?  Too many incomplete passes and sacks?
It was 79 snaps, so it seems like lots of opportunities. I started both Smith and Poz in my league this week...Smith will stay in my lineup, but Poz will be on my bench until he is playing near 100% again.

Don't hold your breath on Poz. Circulating prior to the start of preseason play was the real possibility that Jack would move to MLB while Poz moved to SLB. Jack and Smith would be 3-down backers. Jack didn't show as well as expected in the preseason so Poz moved back to the middle, but only in a two down role. Ryan Sitzmann submitted the following today:

"If you have been following my 2017 Every Down Linebackers column, I've been calling out that the Jaguars would be using Myles Jack and Telvin Smith in sub packages and that Paul Posluszny would be relegated to a two-down role. This is exactly what we saw in Week 1 as Posluszny was in for just eight snaps. With the Jaguars getting out to a big lead, the Texans were forced into passing situations for a majority of the game which resulted in heavier than normal sub package use by Jacksonville. This said, Posluszny is likely to see higher snap counts moving forward, but this just reinforces the fact that he should only be started as a bye week filler/desperation play in the right matchups."

Green Bay

Fourth down

Might be worth mentioning that even though Josh Jones was the talk of pre-season, kentrell Brice kept his full time role in nitro, played 98% of snaps...

Users who are viewing this thread