Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Mavis

Michael Bennett - False Arrest?

No thread on his story or the video yet? Picking up huge steam on twitter and the networks. Maybe more to the story, but right now it appears Bennett was falsely arrested.

Bennett talked about the issue on his Instagram. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYtHHk6AyZ8/

TMZ has video of the incident with Bennett they released within the last hour... 

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/06/michael-bennett-arrest-video/

Should be interesting how people view this considering he is an anthem protester and the outrage such acts have caused in the NFL. Wonder if people look at football protesting police treatment the same way now. This will shine a new light on it, for sure.

Wonder how Goodell will look at this as well, does he call it a personal conduct policy issue? Clearly it shouldnt be as of now, but you can never be so sure with the NFL. 

Edited by Mavis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mavis said:

Should be interesting how people view this considering he is an anthem protester and the outrage such acts have caused in the NFL. NFL. 

I posted this in another thread but I got a good taste of how people will view this and it was kind of depressing.

I found out the story reading my twitter timeline when Rapoport and an Eagles beat writer tweeted it. I checked the responses and it was overwhelmingly filled with anti-Bennett tweets. Lots of race baiter comments, just a lot of vile towards Bennett.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, menobrown said:

I posted this in another thread but I got a good taste of how people will view this and it was kind of depressing.

I found out the story reading my twitter timeline when Rapoport and an Eagles beat writer tweeted it. I checked the responses and it was overwhelmingly filled with anti-Bennett tweets. Lots of race baiter comments, just a lot of vile towards Bennett.

I mean...we're in the situation we are politically for a reason. And that's as far as I'll go since this is the Shark Pool...but these people are all around us. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, menobrown said:

Not sure if it makes me more sad, angry or disgusted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Not sure if it makes me more sad, angry or disgusted.

Saw it on Twitter… Count me as D, all of the above. :angry: 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1

Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Set on Twitter… Count me is D, all of the above. :angry: 

I think I know what you mean....there's lots of amazing people on Twitter. It's also the true Mos Eisley.

First of all this thread is fake news.  He wasn't arrested, he was detained until they figured out what was going on. 

Second, it sounds like they treated him poorly and didn't have good reason to do so and that is bullsh#t.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JamieMurphy said:

And this is why I wholeheartedly support players kneeling for the anthem.

He is lucky he is alive to tell his story.

really? smh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamieMurphy said:

And this is why I wholeheartedly support players kneeling for the anthem.

He is lucky he is alive to tell his story.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

He wasnt arrested Mavis

Where I come from when they put cuffs on you and put you in the back of a squad car to take away your freedom for even a second...you were arrested.

But no he wasnt "booked," if thats what you are saying. 

But will "falsely apprehended and detained against his will" work better? I mean it has a question mark after it. 

Surprised at the takeaway of this discussion for some.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mavis said:

Where I come from when they put cuffs on you and put you in the back of a squad car to take away your freedom for even a second...you were arrested.

But no he wasnt "booked," if thats what you are saying. 

But will "falsely apprehended and detained against his will" work better? I mean it has a question mark after it. 

Surprised at the takeaway of this discussion for some.

Where exactly do you come from?  Because that aint even close to arrested.

Also I am going to side with the Vegas cops at 2am after hearing gun shots after a huge fight 100 times out of 100.  Especially considering Bennett is a violent dude.   Bennett is more then likely way overreacting and I suppose the truth is in the middle somewhere.  I seriously doubt they simply plucked him off the street because he is black

• Like 7

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

Bennett is more then likely way overreacting and I suppose the truth is in the middle somewhere.  I seriously doubt they simply plucked him off the street because he is black

Agreed

• Like 2

Maybe the police had heard this young man's postgame interview with a reporter and handcuffed him for their own safety until he calmed down

Don't point (at us) and say we didn't do what we needed to do, OK? Don't do that, OK? Get out of my face now. Don't tell me I didn't do my job, mother------. Get the (expletive) out of my face. Like I said, get out of my face.

"Don't play with me! I just put my heart on the (expletive) field! Don't play with me. Get the ---- out of my face! Try me again and see what happens. I ain't one of these mother------ . Don't tell me what I didn't do, mother------.

"We lost the game! That's the NFL, you non-playing mother------! What you do with your life? What you do with your lifetime mother------? What injury you play through? What adversity you went through?"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Underachievers said:

Reports now say that Bennett decided to run when told by officers to stay put.

but but but he was "falsely apprehended and detained against his will"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Amazing how you are so quick to believe what you wanna hear, but so quick to deny what you dont. 

I shared the story, you wanted to troll the headline. Stay excellent.

Edited by Mavis
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Where exactly do you come from?  Because that aint even close to arrested.

Also I am going to side with the Vegas cops at 2am after hearing gun shots after a huge fight 100 times out of 100.  Especially considering Bennett is a violent dude.   Bennett is more then likely way overreacting and I suppose the truth is in the middle somewhere.  I seriously doubt they simply plucked him off the street because he is black

He is a violent dude??? 

Also, people are never plucked off the street because they are black? Are you saying profiling isnt a thing?

Edited by Mavis

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I think I know what you mean....there's lots of amazing people on Twitter. It's also the true Mos Eisley.

I meant "saw it on twitter" - was using voice to text and it failed me. :( 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

Can you share the link?

7 minutes ago, Mavis said:

He is a violent dude??? 

Also, people are never plucked off the street because they are black? Are you saying profiling isnt a thing?

Yes he is a violent dude and just like I said up thread, at 2am in vegas after hearing gunshots I am going to side with the vegas cops 100 times out of 100.   But please continue on with your faux outrage over cops.  I am still laughing at the "falsely apprehended and detained against his will" post

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

But but but... he's soooo oppressed! 

:cry:

Some of the posts in this thread are disgusting. The guy even said he was afraid for his life and they pulled a gun on him. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

What reports? Link? 

• Like 1

He heard gunshots inside, so he ran outside.  Pretty straightforward.  I'd think anyone else here would do the same.

Edited by AB in DC

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1367168-las-vegas-police-state-bennett-running-away-prompted-officers-to-stop-him

Doesn't this always seem to be the case when stuff like this goes down?  "Police stated that the arresting officer did not have his body camera on him during the time of Bennett's detainment."

Like when that kid was killed in the middle of the freeway in Chicago by CPD, and for some reason there was no audio of the incident from any of the cops' body cameras that were on the scene?  Just always seems to me to be a strange, strange coincidence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spider321 said:

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/michael-bennett-arrest-las-vegas/

Bennett should be suspended for making false statements in order perpetuate his false narrative.

Wait, the cops said that they didn't do anything wrong?  Oh, well that clears it up then.

http://gph.is/1aS6w4e

• Like 2

Just now, jasvic said:

That seems like a completely non-biased site.  Good share.

The liberal media and Bennett have already reported what they want the story to be.  This is the other side of their story.

No site is non-biased.

• Like 4

Just now, spider321 said:

The liberal media and Bennett have already reported what they want the story to be.  This is the other side of their story.

No site is non-biased.

:tinfoilhat:

• Like 2

We can see in the video that there is no gun in the back of Bennett's head and there is no excessive force being used.

That makes it 0-2 on Bennett's "truth meter".

Add that to the fact that Bennett never even filed a complaint with the police department, and it's pretty clear what Bennett is doing here.

Edited by spider321
  • Like 4

I'm withholding judgement until I hear both sides of the story.  

I have my suspicions that both sides likely overreacted more than they would have liked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spider321 said:

We can see in the video that there is no gun in the back of Bennett's head and there is no excessive force being used.

That makes it 0-2 on Bennett's "truth meter".

Add that to the fact that Bennett never even filed a complaint with the police department, and it's pretty clear what Bennett is doing here.

Go to 12:41 of the video the LV PD posted and you can absolutely see something pointed at the back of his head, and they did not deny that the officer threatened to blow his head off.  As always, the truth will come out soon, but it's foolish to be so certain of either side right now unless you already have your own prejudices in place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I meant "saw it on twitter" - was using voice to text and it failed me. :( 

I got the jist of it. All good. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jasvic said:

Go to 12:41 of the video the LV PD posted and you can absolutely see something pointed at the back of his head, and they did not deny that the officer threatened to blow his head off.  As always, the truth will come out soon, but it's foolish to be so certain of either side right now unless you already have your own prejudices in place.

:tinfoilhat:

2 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

Some of the posts in this thread are disgusting. The guy even said he was afraid for his life and they pulled a gun on him. 

Sorry buddy the police are the only ones allowed to use the "I feared for my life" line

• Like 1

Just now, Yenrub said:

Sorry buddy the police are the only ones allowed to use the "I feared for my life" line

:lmao:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yenrub said:

That's just ignorant.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That's just ignorant.

No it is stupid, ignorant implies he never knew about self defense laws.

58 minutes ago, pinequick said:

Sort of curious--what is that that the cop is holding by the head of the guy on the ground?  A box of Tic Tacs?

https://twitter.com/mosesbread72/status/905598604563193856/photo/1

Looks like a taser to me.

If it's a gun, Bennett only lied about why he was detained, the methods used to detain him, and likely, what was said during the encounter(liberal media source TMZ released the video and "I'll blow your head off!" is noticeably absent from that video). 

Edited by spider321

Do people actually realize how ignorant they sound and are when they constantly throw out the term "liberal media?"

• Like 5

Just now, 32 Counter Pass said:

Am I the only one that thinks this should be in the FFA forum?

lol.  I'm sure it will be.

Can it be combined with the Bigfoot/Nessie thread?

4 hours ago, pantherclub said:

Yes he is a violent dude and just like I said up thread, at 2am in vegas after hearing gunshots I am going to side with the vegas cops 100 times out of 100.   But please continue on with your faux outrage over cops.  I am still laughing at the "falsely apprehended and detained against his will" post

You keep calling him a "violent dude." What's your basis for that?

1 minute ago, SproutDaddy said:

Do people actually realize how ignorant they sound and are when they constantly throw out the term "liberal media?"

Too redundant?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Am I the only one that thinks this should be in the FFA forum?

you have all the usual players coming out from under that rock to infect the shark pool... so it's bound to be moved I hope.