What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bennett - False Arrest? (2 Viewers)

One poster in this thread mentioned that Africans are incapable of being racist towards the European. 

So, I for one, am unsure if Hispanic cops are capable of racial profiling at this point. 
I think he implied that the instance wasn't racism not that they were incapable.  

For the 3rd time, at 2am in Vegas after gun shots were fired I am siding with the cops and their actions 100 times out of 100.  No question.  It seems to me that the situation sorted itself out no?  He wasnt arrested and was released.
Sorted itself out?  Seriously?

I hope you get stopped and frisked by the cops every day for the next year.  As long as it gets "sorted out" I'm sure you won't mind.  Unreal.

I think he implied that the instance wasn't racism not that they were incapable.  
I dont think thats the case, no need to say "Hispanics" in quotes over and over if that wasnt the implication. I even striked it out as it wasnt needed in my response to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this case it appears to me the cops acted appropriately.  It is unfortunate that an innocent man was forced to the ground and detained but the police are at a scene where shots had been supposedly fired.  I don't blame Bennett for running, I probably would have done the same thing, but I also don't fault the cops for assuming the mane running away could be the person with the gun.

In the end Bennett cooperated, was not physically harmed and was not arrested.   Seems to be the best result of what could have been a tragic situation.

In this case it appears to me the cops acted appropriately.  It is unfortunate that an innocent man was forced to the ground and detained but the police are at a scene where shots had been supposedly fired.  I don't blame Bennett for running, I probably would have done the same thing, but I also don't fault the cops for assuming the mane running away could be the person with the gun.

In the end Bennett cooperated, was not physically harmed and was not arrested.   Seems to be the best result of what could have been a tragic situation.
I honestly dont know how it got past this point.  The Cops did their job and now somehow Bennett feels disrespected or like someone wronged him.  He of course has lawyered up.

The AO's body cam no being engaged is just too coincidental for me.  The thing that can totally exonerate the LVPD in this case just happens to be unavailable.

The AO's body cam no being engaged is just too coincidental for me.  The thing that can totally exonerate the LVPD in this case just happens to be unavailable.
yes of course, nobody else in Vegas near the strip would have a cell phone that could record.  Those dastardly cops.

I honestly dont know how it got past this point.  The Cops did their job and now somehow Bennett feels disrespected or like someone wronged him.  He of course has lawyered up.
If a white guy wearing a business suit runs in that same situation, do you think the outcome is the same?

I agree and said so earlier but I don't see the benefit in assuming that because it is unavailable that racial profiling took place.    We simply do not know and it is likely never going to be proven.   The one fact that we do know is that no one was injured in what could have been a tragic incident.

The Nurse in Utah was not taken to jail, but she was cuffed and placed in the cop car. The own police department calls it an "Arrest."

ar·rest

əˈrest/

verb

seize (someone) by legal authority and take into custody.

"the police arrested him for possession of marijuana"

synonyms:apprehend, take into custody, take prisoner, imprison, incarcerate, detain, jail, put in jail; More

stop or check (progress or a process).

"the spread of the disease can be arrested"

synonyms:stop, halt, check, block, hinder, restrict, limit, inhibit, impede, curb; More
Please stop saying false hoods and not calling this an arrest.

I agree and said so earlier but I don't see the benefit in assuming that because it is unavailable that racial profiling took place.    We simply do not know and it is likely never going to be proven.   The one fact that we do know is that no one was injured in what could have been a tragic incident.
Do we know if anybody else in the entire crowd ran?  It seems as if lots of folks are asserting that, factually, only Bennett ran.

The Nurse in Utah was not taken to jail, but she was cuffed and placed in the cop car. The own police department calls it an "Arrest."

Please stop saying false hoods and not calling this an arrest.
Please stop.  This is irrelevant.  Noise.  Not the primary issue.  

Still on who?  Bennett wasnt arrested.  What evidence are you talking about?
An arrest occurs when police officers take a suspect into custody. An arrest is complete as soon as the suspect is no longer free to walk away from the arresting police officer, a moment that often comes well before the suspect actually arrives at a jail.

PLEASE STOP SPREADING FALSE HOODS YOU WERE CONFRONTED WITH ALREADY. The LVPD called it an arrest. So, really the opinion saying it wasnt does not matter and is knowingly wrong and against the very definition of an "arrest" below. 

ar·rest

əˈrest/

verb

seize (someone) by legal authority and take into custody.

"the police arrested him for possession of marijuana".

synonyms:apprehend, take into custody, take prisoner, imprison, incarcerate, detain, jail, put in jail; More

stop or check (progress or a process).

"the spread of the disease can be arrested"

synonyms:stop, halt, check, block, hinder, restrict, limit, inhibit, impede, curb; More

If a white guy wearing a business suit runs in that same situation, do you think the outcome is the same?
Who knows?  My guess is that a big white guy wearing the same clothes as Bennett running after the cops tell everyone to get down would probably be handled the same way

While I agree, it is great nobody was injured or, god forbid, worse, it doesn't preclude the claim that Bennet's equal protection rights were not violated.

Who knows?  My guess is that a big white guy wearing the same clothes as Bennett running after the cops tell everyone to get down would probably be handled the same way
Yeah, we clearly have different hunches on this topic.  I can't believe people still are so blind to reality.

While I agree, it is great nobody was injured or, god forbid, worse, it doesn't preclude the claim that Bennet's equal protection rights were not violated.
I did not say that it did but I think that if Bennett is making that claim he'll need more conclusive proof. 

Look, I understand that black men and women are unfairly profiled in many, many cases when dealing with police.   I am just not convinced as you are that it tool place in this incident.

What reality am I blind to?   How do you know for certain that race played a factor in the case?
I don't know for certain.  But we have mountains of examples, clearly documented, where black people are treated differently - in a negative way - by police officers.  This has been going on for decades and decades.

So while I don't know in this case specifically what happened, when a well known black athlete says he was mistreated by the police, my gut instinct is to believe the black athlete - not the police.  

Could I be wrong?  Absolutely.

I did not say that it did but I think that if Bennett is making that claim he'll need more conclusive proof. 

Look, I understand that black men and women are unfairly profiled in many, many cases when dealing with police.   I am just not convinced as you are that it tool place in this incident.
Whether he needs more conclusive proof is up to the jury.  The defendant is going to have to go above and beyond to overcome this otherwise convenient malfunction.

That seems reasonable and fair.  Well said.

I don't know for certain.  But we have mountains of examples, clearly documented, where black people are treated differently - in a negative way - by police officers.  This has been going on for decades and decades.

So while I don't know in this case specifically what happened, when a well known black athlete says he was mistreated by the police, my gut instinct is to believe the black athlete - not the police.  

I agree with you although I think we need to be careful not to assume the police are automatically wrong in every case.   From everything I read I think Bennett had the natural reaction to run away from a nightclub where shots were fired.  I also think that he cooperated fully with the police and showed tremendous restraint in not fighting back and I think that is the main reason why he wasn't physically harmed.  

So I praise his self control in the situation and respect him a great deal.  However I also understand that when the police arrive at a nightclub where a reported shooter is loose that they would naturally chase and bring down a man that was running away.

I agree with you although I think we need to be careful not to assume it the police are automatically wrong in every case.   From everything I read I think Bennett had the natural reaction to run away from a nightclub where shots were fired.  I also think that he cooperated fully with the police and showed tremendous constraint in not fighting back and I think that is the main reason why he wasn't physically harmed.  

So I praise his self control in the situation and respect him a great deal.  However I also understand that when the police arrive at a nightclub where a reported shooter is loose that they would naturally chase and bring down a man that was running away.
This is easily the most rational post in the entire thread.  Well stated.

What’s wrong with him getting a lawyer if he thinks he was done wrong?

I'm not sure I actually see a big problem with this instance yet.  I don't fault Bennett for running in order to find safety and I don't blame the police if they were given a description of the suspect and Bennett fit that description.  What are the police suppose to do in that situation?  I'm glad that Bennett used his head and cooperated with police and I'm glad the police released him.  Seems to me everything went the way it's suppose to go.

I agree with you although I think we need to be careful not to assume the police are automatically wrong in every case.   From everything I read I think Bennett had the natural reaction to run away from a nightclub where shots were fired.  I also think that he cooperated fully with the police and showed tremendous restraint in not fighting back and I think that is the main reason why he wasn't physically harmed.  

:goodposting:

it's so easy to just point the finger and yell "OH ANOTHER RACIST COP!!!" just as much as it is to point the finger at Bennett and spout off something racist. At the end of the day we cannot assume that the police are automatically wrong in every case just because there are some cases of black men being treated differently by police. We also cannot assume Bennett was in the wrong because there are some cases of black men not cooperating with the police and causing more problems during a police response. 

I'm not sure I actually see a big problem with this instance yet.  I don't fault Bennett for running in order to find safety and I don't blame the police if they were given a description of the suspect and Bennett fit that description.  What are the police suppose to do in that situation?  I'm glad that Bennett used his head and cooperated with police and I'm glad the police released him.  Seems to me everything went the way it's suppose to go.
What was the description of the shooter?

What’s wrong with him getting a lawyer if he thinks he was done wrong?
Yeah I don't see anything wrong with this either. If it's a frivolous lawsuit it'll be thrown out. Worst case scenario for Bennett is that he loses a bunch of money and looks like a fool. Everyone is entitled to consult with an attorney if they think they were done wrong. It's the attorney's job to tell the client whether or not they actually have a case. 

I don't know.  I'm going off of what the police said right now.  I believe they said Bennett fit the description of a possible suspect.  If they just randomly picked out black men that were running away without any description of a suspect then I see an issue.

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with this either. If it's a frivolous lawsuit it'll be thrown out. Worst case scenario for Bennett is that he loses a bunch of money and looks like a fool. Everyone is entitled to consult with an attorney if they think they were done wrong. It's the attorney's job to tell the client whether or not they actually have a case. 
I guess we will have to agree to disagree that he was wronged to the point that he has to hire a civil rights lawyer when again he wasnt arrested.  Everything got sorted out properly.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree that he was wronged to the point that he has to hire a civil rights lawyer when again he wasnt arrested.  Everything got sorted out properly.
No, I don't think he has a civil case. I don't think he was wronged. I think he has every right to hire an attorney to tell him those things, or pay an attorney a lot of money to try and make a case for him. Everyone has that right. I'm actually more concerned about an attorney that would take this case... it's either for publicity or Bennett is paying a lot of money. Most ethical attorneys won't take frivolous lawsuits. 

Ha... ethical attorneys... oxymoron there... (another joke people, married to one so maybe that's just more funny to me)

I wasn't there so it isn't for me to speculate if he was wronged or not.  If he was and can prove it and wants to proceed with a lawsuit then I don't have a problem with it.

Some good profiling going on here.

:rolleyes:   unlike many in here, I'm being very open about my bias and my rationale for it.
I sure the police are open and rationale about their bias too.

Personally I'm torn on this detained thing.  I can see the benefit of it being a good thing for both the police and the person of interest.  That said, I can fully understand and somewhat agree with the viewpoint that once the cuffs go on, your civil liberties have been taken away.

I sure the police are open and rationale about their bias too.

Personally I'm torn on this detained thing.  I can see the benefit of it being a good thing for both the police and the person of interest.  That said, I can fully understand and somewhat agree with the viewpoint that once the cuffs go on, your civil liberties have been taken away.
I don't see evidence that the police are at all open about their bias.  In many cases, they aren't even consciously aware that they have bias.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the events that took place but he wasn't detained following a description of a shooter. 

Shots were reported in an area/place--cops investigate said place and order everyone to stay where they are and one guy decides to make a break for it. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the events that took place but he wasn't detained following a description of a shooter. 

Shots were reported in an area/place--cops investigate said place and order everyone to stay where they are and one guy decides to make a break for it. 
People in here keep saying the cops were on the lookout and he fit the description of the alleged shooter. :shrug:  

People in here keep saying the cops were on the lookout and he fit the description of the alleged shooter. :shrug:  
 Maybe they mean because they were called to the scene stating there was an active shooter. When everyone was ordered to stay put he decided to get up and run away. Maybe that's what they mean by fitting the description? I don't know. 

Sometimes black people are treated differently - in a negative way - by police officers.  I don't think any sane person would deny this.

Sometimes they're treated the same as anyone else would be under the same circumstances.

It's completely within the realm of possibility that this Bennett situation is an example of the latter.  It may even be the more likely of the two.  You've got a guy fleeing the scene of a reported shooting, after all.  That surely must look like a suspect if you're a cop.

Users who are viewing this thread