What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bennett - False Arrest? (1 Viewer)

Real stand up guy.  He was a Walter Payton Award Nominee.  He is far better of a person than his critics in this thread.  Maybe look in the mirror once in a while.

Injuring paraplegics now...

Adam Schefter | @AdamSchefter
 14m14 minutes ago

District Attorney of Harris County, Texas announced it has indicted Eagles’ DE Michael Bennett for felony charge for injuring a 66-year-old paraplegic working at NRG Stadium to control access to field at SuperBowl LI. A warrant has been issued for Bennett’s arrest.

squistion said:
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Philadelphia Eagles Statement on Michael Bennett: “We are aware of the situation involving Michael Bennett and are in the process of gathering more information. Because this is an ongoing legal matter, we will have no further comment at this time.”
Translation:  We're pissed  </AndrewBrandt>

Not sure why he thinks these charges are bogus, I am not that familiar with the details of the story outside of the fact that a 66 year old paraplegic, who was working at stadium security was apparently injured when he pushed through the security people after being denied access to the field.

Tariq Nasheed‏ @tariqnasheed 18m

They are putting this bogus charge on Michael Bennett to send a message to OTHER Black NFL players to stop calling out white supremacy, or they will use the system of white supremacy to target other Black players who get too “uppity”

Shaun King‏ @ShaunKing 44m44 minutes ago

I call BS on the arrest of Michael Bennett for felony assault.

Complete BS.

I literally had to call to ask what they were accusing him of.

They are saying 14 months ago his hand touched a woman's shoulder at the Super Bowl as he walked on to the field.

That's it.

Several police officers were present when this happened...14 months ago - and thought so little about it that they did absolutely nothing.

Now the police chief, @ArtAcevedo, is out here talking about Michael Bennett's character.

Nah man. Phony as a $3 bill.

They aren't saying he squeezed her shoulder.

They aren't saying that the "victim" fell down.

They are saying that as Michael walked on to the Super Bowl field in 2017 that his hand touched the shoulder of a woman and that it caused her discomfort.

I kid you not.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing

Last edited by a moderator:

Complete BS.

They are saying 14 months ago his hand touched a woman's shoulder at the Super Bowl as he walked on to the field.

That's it.

Several police officers were present when this happened...14 months ago - and thought so little about it that they did absolutely nothing.

Now the police chief, @ArtAcevedo, is out here talking about Michael Bennett's character.

They are saying that as Michael walked on to the Super Bowl field in 2017 that his hand touched the shoulder of a woman and that it caused her discomfort.

I kid you not.

Hang on.... this went in front of a grand jury and they moved to indict for a simple touch on her shoulder?  

:rolleyes:  

Kinda think they probably have a solid case.  I know its Texas and all, but even they must know that if they don't get a conviction they basically just nailed the guy to the cross.

Hang on.... this went in front of a grand jury and they moved to indict for a simple touch on her shoulder?  

:rolleyes:  
If it technically violated the law, then yes. Don't know the exact wording of the statute - that is the key here.

And as the old expression goes, a prosecutor can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich.

Top notch security they have at the Super Bowl.
Indeed, some interesting questions someone raised on Twitter:

If we gonna pretend Michael Bennett beat a frail old disabled lady at the Super Bowl, can someone also explain why a frail old disabled lady was working security at the Super Bowl? Or why a cop saw this and didn’t immediately arrest him? Or why it took 14 months to do anything?

Complete BS.

That's it.

I kid you not.

#MeTooMovement backfire 

Indeed, some interesting questions raised on Twitter:
You think there would be video out there somewhere. If Bennett pushed this old lady down that’s obviously weak as hell.

Pretty odd to have a 66 year old woman working line control at the Super Bowl regardless.

You think there would be video out there somewhere. If Bennett pushed this old lady down that’s obviously weak as hell.

Pretty odd to have a 66 year old woman working line control at the Super Bowl regardless.
I have already read somewhere there is no video of the incident and they are backlogged on cases which is why it took the police over a year to get around to processing this (?). And this carries a sentence of up to 10 years in prison, which seems a bit excessive to me.

Granted, this is the Super Bowl here, but at college football and basketball games I have attended, the people wearing the bright, funny-looking vests aren't typically physical specimens with intention of keeping order by force like a bouncer at a bar. They're just there to point people in the right direction.

Is there anything out there supporting King's claim that nothing more than touching the woman's shoulder occurred?

Granted, this is the Super Bowl here, but at college football and basketball games I have attended, the people wearing the bright, funny-looking vests aren't typically physical specimens with intention of keeping order by force like a bouncer at a bar. They're just there to point people in the right direction.

Is there anything out there supporting King's claim that nothing more than touching the woman's shoulder occurred?
I am still looking for a factual account from the police or DA as to what extent the injuries were of the disabled senior, but haven't found the details yet.

I am still looking for a factual account from the police or DA as to what extent the injuries were of the disabled senior, but haven't found the details yet. Also I would want to see the wording of the statute he violated, what exactly needs to be done to violate this law.
I'd be curious to see more accounts of the incident. I'm inclined to be skeptical of the charge, just because I would think actual physical aggression from a 275-lb football player against a 66-year-old woman in a wheelchair would have caused more of a ruckus in real time. But that is very much a wild guess.

From Deadspin, Police Chief press conference:

https://deadspin.com/grandstanding-houston-pd-chief-calls-michael-bennett-m-1824034509

Grandstanding Houston PD Chief Calls Michael Bennett "Morally Corrupt" In Bizarre Press Conference

Houston Police Department Chief Art Acevedo held a weird press conference this afternoon to address Michael Bennett’s indictment on felony assault charges and explain the case against him. Acevedo called Bennett “morally corrupt,” “morally bankrupt,” and said, “I think it’s pretty pathetic that you’d put your hands on a 66-year-old paraplegic and treat them like they don’t exist.”

According to Acevedo, Bennett “forcibly opened locked doors” on his way to the field at Super Bowl 51 before pushing past two stadium workers and injuring the 66-year-old paraplegic woman. She apparently suffered a sprained shoulder, and according to Acevedo, when a police officer confronted Bennett, he told them “#### you,” and “You all must know who I am, and I could own this mother####er. I’m going on the field whether you like it or not.” The officer then walked away from Bennett.

Houston PD started investigating Sept. 27, and they did not review any video of the incident (which apparently exists), so the case is all based on the recollection of the officer. Acevedo recommended that Bennett turn himself in, and claimed that the case took over a year because they had to prioritize other investigations. The Eagles released a short statement on the matter.

Acevedo had harsh words for Bennett throughout the press conference, repeatedly invoking the incident in question to make points about Bennett’s supposedly shaky morals. Bennett, who has a book coming out next week, has been one of the most outspoken NFL players on the issue of police officer shooting and killing unarmed black people, and last fall, Bennett said Las Vegas PD officers handcuffed him and threatened to “blow [his] ####### head off” after mistakenly identifying him as a possible shooter.

Oh, we are posting tweets by Tariq Nasheed now?  To give some context about what kind of guy he is, here is another other gem from him on twitter: 

Tariq Nasheed‏Verified account @tariqnasheed Mar 16

OJ was almost framed for a murder he didn't commit, and he is still used as a poster child for white supremacist hate, and he is still out here buck dancing for white acceptance. Thats why I know he didn't commit a double murder, because OJ to too dumb to pull that off

Oh, we are posting tweets by Tariq Nasheed now?  To give some context about what kind of guy he is, here is another other gem from him on twitter: 

Tariq Nasheed‏Verified account @tariqnasheed Mar 16

OJ was almost framed for a murder he didn't commit, and he is still used as a poster child for white supremacist hate, and he is still out here buck dancing for white acceptance. Thats why I know he didn't commit a double murder, because OJ to too dumb to pull that off
Be that as it may about his take on OJ, I think he is right that the charges against Bennett are "bogus" and trumped up.

This paraplegic senior citizen who was bizarrely working security for the Super Bowl had her wheel chair pushed back when Bennett placed her hand on her shoulder so as to get on the field and supposed suffered a sprained shoulder (would like to medical verification of that). There is no video or if there is, it was not reviewed and a police officer who witnessed the event did nothing at the time. Over a year later, out of the blue, charges are filed against Bennett. The whole thing just doesn't ring right.

You shouldn't be shocked if you actually looked at the flimsy case they have against him with no arrest at the time, apparently no police report either, no video evidence presented and charges filed over a year later.
There was a police report. Case log kept them from getting to it quickly. We don't know if there is video evidence yet. And an arrest warrant issued. 

Kinda think they probably have a solid case.  I know its Texas and all, but even they must know that if they don't get a conviction they basically just nailed the guy to the cross.

You shouldn't be shocked if you actually looked at the flimsy case they have against him with no arrest at the time, apparently no police report either, no video evidence presented and charges filed over a year later.
TF nailed it imo

TF nailed it imo
A senior citizen in a wheelchair bizarrely working as Super Bowl security, a push on her shoulder, pushing the wheelchair back, which the police officer present failed to make an arrest at the time and a 14th month delay to file charges threatening a 10 year prison sentence for a sprained shoulder which no medical evidence has been presented. Plus if there was a video, it hasn't been viewed yet? That's nailing it? It smells to high heaven.  

Like everything Vegas had against him when he still went on a national rant claiming police brutality.  Yeah, that's the kind of guy I would want to support.  Well done

A senior citizen in a wheelchair bizarrely working as Super Bowl security, a push on her shoulder, pushing the wheelchair back, which the police officer present failed to make an arrest at the time and a 14th month delay to file charges threatening a 10 year prison sentence for a sprained shoulder which no medical evidence has been presented. Plus if there was a video, it hasn't been viewed yet? That's nailing it? It smells to high heaven.  
I'll wait for more details to come out. But I can't imagine they're going after him unless they think they have a great chance of winning.

If hes guilty I hope he gets all 10

Not the best optics on this. 

I'll wait for more details to come out. But I can't imagine they're going after him unless they think they have a great chance of winning.

If hes guilty I hope he gets all 10
A great chance of winning? He won't do a day in jail as the case is so flimsy it probably won't make it to trial. Did you see any of the Police Chief's press conference? He is obviously in it for the publicity, perhaps trying to make a name for himself in running for higher office. His comments about Bennett presume guilt and calling him "morally bankrupt" may already have tainted the potential jury trial and made a fair trial impossible.

Also:

Acevedo said there is no video or photographic evidence of Bennett pushing anyone. He says one officer witnessed the alleged incident take place.
Amazing with all the videos and cameras present at the stadium, not one captured Bennett committing this heinous act of pushing the wheelchair back. There was also no mention of any medical corroboration that she actually was injured. And since this was a crowded area with lots of security people, stadium employees and fans, why isn't there one other witness?

You do realize “kept them from getting to it quickly” is not the same as getting to it quickly, right? 
It lacks credibility that they are so backlogged that they could not get to a case of such obvious national interest (see news coverage today) that it took them 14 months to get to it.

If this was Zeke or Josh Gordon, Roger would have given them the boot for the season already.  I’m sure Bennett will win a humanitarian award or something though because that’s who Roger is.

If this was Zeke or Josh Gordon, Roger would have given them the boot for the season already.  I’m sure Bennett will win a humanitarian award or something though because that’s who Roger is.
I don't see how this nothingburger against Bennett is anything even remotely similar to Zeke or Gordon's situations. 

Not really, lots of tax benefits are awarded for hiring these types of people.  For a league that makes a lot of money, it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread