What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 surprises. What stood out to you? (1 Viewer)

All the split up backfields are going to be a problem relative to ADP. There was just no magic formula to feed all RB mouths significant opportunity in NO, Car, Cin, etc

Slow starts for a bunch of the big names. Bell, Julio, Green, Dez, Michael Thomas, Freeman, Brady, etc.

Bunch of high scoring defenses last week too

Ty Montgomerys usage didnt surprise me-- but I think it surprised almost everyone else. He literally would have gotten every RB touch if he didnt bang his shin on the final 4th quarter clock eating drive. 

If he continuous to get 20-25 touches a game AND he stays healthy.... He should be top 6-8 rb 

All the split up backfields are going to be a problem relative to ADP. There was just no magic formula to feed all RB mouths significant opportunity in NO, Car, Cin, etc
These seemed fairly obvious to me before drafting.

The Colts shouldn't let Luck back on the field this year. This team needs to go in the tank, finish 1-15, get the top pick in a QB rich draft and auction that pick off for a truckload of players and picks to rebuild this team.

Terrible turnout by Rams 'fans'. Place was less than half full. LA shows why it's always been a garbage bandwagon sports town.

Lots of talk about how the additions of Marshall and Engram would supercharge the Giants' offense ... yet NYG without OBJ in week 1 looked exactly how NYG without OBJ would have looked in 2016 or 2015.

It looks like no number of new weapons can make up for a tissue-paper OL.

AP is done

bmarsh is done

matt ryan will be qb2 with Brady and Brees not yet done but older guys dealing with a very athletic nfl

this is Eli and ben's last season

cmc is nothing special. 

Terrence Williams may be a top 25 wr

Last edited by a moderator:
Randall Cobb looked really good.  If he stays healthy...it will be inconsisent FF wise week to week between he and Adams with sprinkles of big games from Bennett IMO.  Jordy gets his.

Bradford looked really good, and the Vikings O line seemed to jell and play better as the game wore on.
I'll be curious to see them go on and play some better pass defenses like next week in Pittsburgh.  NO was 31st against the pass last year without addressing much.  NO gave up average 348 yards in the air last year where Pitt only gave up 180.  If Bradford does anything close to that next week, then MN has something. 

It surprised me that ADP and Lacy couldn't muster anything for one game against their old teams.  Drop drop drop.

Ty Montgomerys usage didnt surprise me-- but I think it surprised almost everyone else. He literally would have gotten every RB touch if he didnt bang his shin on the final 4th quarter clock eating drive. 

If he continuous to get 20-25 touches a game AND he stays healthy.... He should be top 6-8 rb 
By far my biggest surprise as a non-Packers fan given all the rhetoric about GB drafting a couple of guys behind him. I don't see how he stays healthy with that usage though.

Biggest surprise: Bradford's numbers were good but his play was even better, IMO.

I shouldn't be surprised: People acting like week 1's performances are stone cold locks for what will transpire over the rest of the season.

Reminder: It takes about 4 games for usage and performance trends to even begin to mean anything.

Lots of talk about how the additions of Marshall and Engram would supercharge the Giants' offense ... yet NYG without OBJ in week 1 looked exactly how NYG without OBJ would have looked in 2016 or 2015.

It looks like no number of new weapons can make up for a tissue-paper OL.
Grasshopper,

A man cannot catch what is never thrown (and it cannot be thrown whilst lying on his back)

What stood out to me is so many coaches throwing three times from the one yard line. It's like they never learn.

The Patriots looked horrible. Rivers did pretty good in the second half against Denver. OBJ didn't play.

Biggest surprise was MIN OL.  They provided great protection for Bradford.  We all know Bradford can toss the rock but he's not very mobile.  If MIN OL can keep this up, then Bradford becomes a top 15 QB and Diggs, Cook, Thielen and Rudolph should all have solid years.

We'll see what they do next week vs PIT on the road.

I wouldn't worry about McCaffrey or Stewart in CAR.  McCaffrey got 7 targets and 13 carries, so he will be good in PPR.  Stewart should get 15 or so carries and the goal line work.  CAR is going to be a run first team all year, and it appears that Cam will run a lot less than in the past.

Cin and NO, I agree, they are going to be a headache.....but I would try and get Mixon for cheap now, stash him on the bench and wait and see if he takes the lead role later in the year.  He's far more talented than Jeremy Hill.

What stood out to me is so many coaches throwing three times from the one yard line. It's like they never learn.
passing and running have almost equal efficacy: https://www.si.com/2014/10/02/nfl-goal-line-situations-philadelphia-eagles

53.88 for run, 48.34 for pass from 2000-2013.

different methodology in different time period http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/is-richard-sherman-right-about-throwing-at-the-1-yard-line-121716

50.5% of pass plays score TD vs. 34.9% rushing.

Surprised how awful the week 1 games were in general.  Boring, lackluster yawn fests.  It took a 4th quarter Denver meltdown coupled with a bombs away approach by Philip Rivers to give us one - ONE - game that came down to the wire and I bet most of the country was asleep.  

From Peter King:

I don’t have the kind of memory that categorizes specific weeks of football. So I can’t say this week of NFL ball through 13 games is one of the worst ever. But I can say it stunk.

Week 1 margins of victory, through 14 games in 2016 and 13 in 2017 because of the Tampa Bay-Miami postponement:

2016: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 4, 6, 6, 7, 9, 9, 19.

2017: 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 20, 20, 22, 37.

There’s no rhyme of reason to it. No trend here. Just a bad week to feed the ratings swoon. Let’s get to what happened in a week of crumminess...
KC/New England was fun, but most of that was watching the Pats get curb stomped at home.  

By far my biggest surprise as a non-Packers fan given all the rhetoric about GB drafting a couple of guys behind him. I don't see how he stays healthy with that usage though.
I'm on record in here saying I didn't expect him to get >10 carries. He got half of that on one drive... 

I would agree that his health is the next biggest concern with that much workload, but I imagine the rookies will spell him on occasion. I am not so sure he loses the job to them this year as I originally predicted... but I do think he may miss a few games. We will see. He looked awesome. Very glad to be wrong on him. 

Randall Cobb looked really good.  If he stays healthy...it will be inconsisent FF wise week to week between he and Adams with sprinkles of big games from Bennett IMO.  Jordy gets his.
13 targets too.  I expected a bounce-back, but this could be very promising.

Surprised how awful the week 1 games were in general.  Boring, lackluster yawn fests.  It took a 4th quarter Denver meltdown coupled with a bombs away approach by Philip Rivers to give us one - ONE - game that came down to the wire and I bet most of the country was asleep.  

From Peter King:

KC/New England was fun, but most of that was watching the Pats get curb stomped at home.  
Bears Falcons was pretty entertaining 

Seattle offense.
Wilson looked putrid. Lacy looked like (unsurprisingly) a washed up has-been. Lockett was a total non-factor. Most of the blame lies with their putrid O-line. Seattle is like NYG without Beckham in the lineup. 

Sean Payton's use of his RBs. It isn't that surprising, considering his history, but AP was totally right for saying something to Payton. He clearly looked like the old AP with quickness and unreal vision, and Payton basically left him on the sideline. 

What happened to Payton? Not only did he bungle his RB use, but his playcalling was atrocious. Especially in the red zone. I felt bad for Brees. He had no chance at times.

Here's one last one: the quality of the NFL broadcasts. After Al Michaels and Colinsworth (average, though I've always liked Michaels), the presentation was god awful. As I watched the Rex Ryan and Sergio Dipp broadcast I thought, This is the decline of the NFL. It's happening right here. This reminds me of a bad Division III college game. The magic is fading from the league under the weight of its own idiocies: the suspensions, their handling of domestic violence, their handling of CTE, their handling of Kaepernick, etc. 

Then I read how the ratings were terrible for a first week slate, and just shook my head and said, "yep."

There's an entire social movement organized on social media that is boycotting the NFL. I thought a few times of joining myself, but I'm just too committed. But this is the first time I've ever felt enormously guilty for being a fan. That's not good.

Here's one last one: the quality of the NFL broadcasts... the presentation was god awful. As I watched the Rex Ryan and Sergio Dipp broadcast I thought, This is the decline of the NFL. It's happening right here. This reminds me of a bad Division III college game.
Given how great the Bronco crowd was, that was one where they'd probably have been better off broadcasting with no announcers. I really liked it that one time they did that back in the 80s.

They're both shot.
Oh I know, but the revenge factor seemed like it would be enough to motivate these corpses to a ravenous zombie state for 4 quarters of their pathetic year to be. I was wrong.

I took a flyer on ADP late just to see if he could amaze me again but if he wasn't going to get carries in this game, I'm not sure when it would be. He gone! Lacy was done 2 years ago.

Here's one last one: the quality of the NFL broadcasts. After Al Michaels and Colinsworth (average, though I've always liked Michaels), the presentation was god awful. As I watched the Rex Ryan and Sergio Dipp broadcast I thought, This is the decline of the NFL. It's happening right here. This reminds me of a bad Division III college game. The magic is fading from the league under the weight of its own idiocies: the suspensions, their handling of domestic violence, their handling of CTE, their handling of Kaepernick, etc. 
I just can't grasp the fact that THAT is the best they can offer for a prime time game.

Yes, I understand it's the 2nd MNF game. But there HAS to be a better crew out there.

Probably a few hundred.

Then I read how the ratings were terrible for a first week slate, and just shook my head and said, "yep."

There's an entire social movement organized on social media that is boycotting the NFL. I thought a few times of joining myself, but I'm just too committed. But this is the first time I've ever felt enormously guilty for being a fan. That's not good.
Hi flysack.  Is the social media / boycott thing tied up with Kaepernick?  I ask because I leaned that way until I actually visited his social media, which is, from my perspective, self-aggrandizing and a lot more problematic than holding a fist in the air and/or kneeling during the national anthem.  Call me crazy, but when you are rhetorically calling for the deconstruction of a corporation I don't feel like the corporation is obligated to hire you.  Also, did you read the story about his girlfriend posting racist smack about Ray Lewis and the Ravens owner at the very moment Ray Lewis was trying to pitch Kaepernick in Baltimore?  Anyway, I find the whole story to be a your classic example of PC left wing BS run amuck (and I think you know me to be pretty far left).  If Kaepernick (and those whispering in his ear) truly wanted him to have a job in the NFL he would simply decrease the volume of the whining (and yes I'm very comfortable labelling it as such....the best way to achieve real change in from the inside....the "voice in the wilderness" accomplishes nothing even when you have Spike Lee and the NAACP on your side).

Anywho, CTE is the real issue that needs to be dealt with.  I think the league and the players union should be increasing their focus on that topic ten-fold.  Have you seen recent stories about "crumple zone helmets"?  Brilliant solution, imho, stolen from Nascar.  CTE has the potential to kill the golden goose.

The rest of what you mentioned (suspensions, domestic violence, etc.) is just labor relations.  When I think about a strike in 2021 I just laugh....two sides have a chance to avoid disturbance to cash flow but they are too stubborn to see it and manage it pro-actively.

Your "guilt" is unwarranted.  To quote a friend, I find your lack of faith....disturbing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but run seems to be more effecient.
in the additional sample that I posted, passing was more efficient, though that appears to be a smaller sample size.  the point is that it is not obviously always better to run and the results are close enough that the decision can go either way at any given time based on a variety of factors.

Hi flysack.  Is the social media / boycott thing tied up with Kaepernick?  I ask because I leaned that way until I actually visited his social media, which is, from my perspective, self-aggrandizing and a lot more problematic than holding a fist in the air and/or kneeling during the national anthem.  Call me crazy, but when you are rhetorically calling for the deconstruction of a corporation I don't feel like the corporation is obligated to hire you.  Also, did you read the story about his girlfriend posting racist smack about Ray Lewis and the Ravens owner at the very moment Ray Lewis was trying to pitch Kaepernick in Baltimore?  Anyway, I find the whole story to be a your classic example of PC left wing BS run amuck (and I think you know me to be pretty far left).  If Kaepernick (and those whispering in his ear) truly wanted him to have a job in the NFL he would simply decrease the volume of the whining (and yes I'm very comfortable labelling it as such....the best way to achieve real change in from the inside....the "voice in the wilderness" accomplishes nothing even when you have Spike Lee and the NAACP on your side).

Anywho, CTE is the real issue that needs to be dealt with.  I think the league and the players union should be increasing their focus on that topic ten-fold.  Have you seen recent stories about "crumple zone helmets"?  Brilliant solution, imho, stolen from Nascar.  CTE has the potential to kill the golden goose.

The rest of what you mentioned (suspensions, domestic violence, etc.) is just labor relations.  When I think about a strike in 2021 I just laugh....two sides have a chance to avoid disturbance to cash flow but they are too stubborn to see it and manage it pro-actively.

Your "guilt" is unwarranted.  To quote a friend, I find your lack of faith....disturbing.
1. Social media is an excellent, revolutionary way for people without power from great distances to band together to address an issue of social concern, such as systemic white supremacy. Your dismissal of it is troubling and, to be frank, uniformed and arrogant. The Arab Spring, say what you will of its tragic results, exploded on social media. Many protests of the current and former administration were formed and organized with social media. It has proven itself an invaluable tool. 

2. While Kaepernick himself focuses on one particular issue (police brutality against black men), the NFL boycott uses his situation to address white supremacy in general, which is the cause of police disproportionately targeting black men, courts disproportionately given out harsher sentences, etc. The NFL is a great space to do this because every team owner is rich and white and most of them are blackballing Kaepernick for speaking up about civil rights.

When I speak of white supremacy I am not talking about men in sheets or crazies brandishing swastikas, but rather you, me, everyone white in the country that unconsciously supports a system in which whiteness is broadcast as normal, the location of "good" schools, of "beautiful" people, or "morally correct" opinions and reason. People of color are institutionally taught a prison mentality from elementary school on. "Although African American students represent about 18 percent of preschool enrollment, in the 2011-2012 school year they made up 43 percent of the preschool students who were suspended once and 48 percent of those suspended more than once" (Rac(e)ing to the Class: Confronting Poverty and Race in Schools and Classrooms). Most of this is attributed to teachers misunderstanding cultural differences between races. Conversely this leads white people to see people of color as criminal, less intelligent, violent, dangerous, ugly, criminals in waiting, all from the earliest of ages: preschool! Also check out The Doll Test for more heartbreaking evidence. Is it any wonder then that police reared in this environment so often exert excessive force when confronting black people? Shooting them in the back? Choking them in the streets? Stepping on their head during a traffic stop and suiciding them in their cells? That isn't worth standing up against? That's "whining?"

3. Calling yourself a white liberal then dismissing Kaepernick's movement as "whining" is a classic example of a white person cringing with white fragility over issues of race, while paradoxically claiming you are a "progressive" and "liberal" and "not like those white people." In her essay "White Fragility," Robin DiAngelo (a white scholar) notes that "White fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves...including the display of ... anger, fear, guilt (the classic white liberal reaction) and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium." In short, claiming you're a liberal while so caustically dismissing a cry for civil rights as "whining" is you failing to come to terms with the legitimacy of the cry as well as your own complicit role in it, while distancing yourself from culpability.  

This is also why more people like Chris Long need to speak up and support the black players' protest. Until that happens it'll just be dismissed by white people as "whining" and "inappropriate to the venue of the NFL," and any number of reasons that locate racial injustice on black bodies instead of the dynamic of white-black relations. As the poet Claudia Rankine put it, "racism is a white problem as much as a black problem." White people need to show that this will not stand, not out of liberal guilt, not out of meek fear, not out of distanced ethics, and certainly not by trying to control when and where black people may protest. We need to do it with conviction. This is exactly where I'm coming from. Conviction. This will not stand.

Think of the poor logic of you citing Kaepernick's girlfriend's remarks. A single person, operating without Kapernick's approval, is enough to put the brakes on his signing? More than anything I find that cowardly on the part of the Ravens and quite frankly a clear example of white inability to deal with racial stress. Laremy Tunsil was exposed smoking weed through a gas mask and he only fell a few spots in the draft! What is more probable in hurting a player's performance on the field, an intense weed habit or standing up for civil rights? And yes, Ray Lewis is the one who told the world about Kap's GF, but he was not the one to stop the process of signing Kap. Ray Lewis has no real power. 

4. I agree that CTE is the primary vice of the NFL. Their handling of CTE, along with their black balling of Kap, is why I've seriously considered joining the boycott. But the suspensions, handled with such idiocy by Goodell were also terrible. The Ravens handling of Ray Rice's beating his wife was very troubling. All of it adds up to this league declining from the prominent place in American sports.  

ETA: VBD, I like you. You're a good guy. So don't take this reply as an indictment. I just don't think you're very informed about the Kap issue. Best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread