What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 in Concert (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
Saw them again tonight in KC. 

Whoa. So good.

Been lucky to see them four times in my life. Just incredible.

That is all. Good night.

Saw them again tonight in KC. 

Whoa. So good.

Been lucky to see them four times in my life. Just incredible.

That is all. Good night.
The Joshua Tree is the album I've listened to the most from start-to-finish with the intention of listening to the whole thing.  I wasn't prepared for what an emotional experience it would be to see the entire album played so faithfully by the original artists, seeing one of those "soundtrack of my life" albums performed with such reverence.

The Joshua Tree is the album I've listened to the most from start-to-finish with the intention of listening to the whole thing.  I wasn't prepared for what an emotional experience it would be to see the entire album played so faithfully by the original artists, seeing one of those "soundtrack of my life" albums performed with such reverence.
:thumbup:  Not a U2 fan myself, but I totally identify with this comment.  Live music can be such an amazing experience when it is music you are emotionally tied to.

No kidding - same here. That album came out the year before my dad died, and I buried myself in that album for some reason after he passed away. I was 17 when that happened. 

And the way that show started - wow. What a powder keg.

Don't want to ruin it for Henry Ford and others who are seeing it later. Just incredible.

Saw them 8 days ago here and was pretty blown away by their performance.  I'm not the world's biggest U2 fan but they don't often tour through Buffalo (first time in 12 years) and it's a special occasion tour so I went for it.  Very glad I did.  It's not the absolute greatest show of all-time for me, but it's not far off and was worth the $$ for sure.

Saw them 8 days ago here and was pretty blown away by their performance.  I'm not the world's biggest U2 fan but they don't often tour through Buffalo (first time in 12 years) and it's a special occasion tour so I went for it.  Very glad I did.  It's not the absolute greatest show of all-time for me, but it's not far off and was worth the $$ for sure.
Yeah, I haven't seen U2 in concert in 25 years, but I'm looking forward to this one. 

Wow, I saw them in 2001 and it seemed unbelievably contrived with Bono doing cheesy messiah posing and what seemed like zero spontaneity. Maybe I should give them another shot.

Running to Stand Still and Bad gave me goose bumps. 
I just stood there like a big dope with this huge smile on my face the whole show. Just everything - the sound, the stage, the screen, the way they put little twists on the songs also to keep them fresh.

The Edge was just on fire last night. So great.

:goodposting:  

Last time I considered myself a fan was high school, before they got huge. First 3 albums. I watched the Red Rocks show a million times, just 4 guys playing music without the massive production. Only album I listened to extensively after that was Achtung Baby.
Same here.  Not the same band after that.

Wow, I saw them in 2001 and it seemed unbelievably contrived with Bono doing cheesy messiah posing and what seemed like zero spontaneity. Maybe I should give them another shot.
saw three shows from this tour, including their first show in post 9/11 NYC... we were right in front of the stage for that. just incredible. and bonos posturing didn't bother me in the slightest- we were all still in an all-in-this-together-against-tragedy mood.

but they're not a band that's going to be spontaneous (at that point). every moment and note was carefully choreographed and rehearsed... I think in big part because of Edge's guitar being so effects driven. any missed notes or deviations were REALLY noticeable. still thought they were amazing- especially bringing some of those older songs into the arena (and even the newer songs from Vertigo translated really well to a large format). but it definitely helped being able to see them up close for me.

I saw them in 85 or 86 as part of the amnesty international tour. also bum-rushed the first row for that one... it felt less effects heavy and had a little room for them to let loose- but still not exactly a take the next 4 bars for an improved solo kind of deal. 

I like them, but the wife is the real fan. she was massively bummed she couldn't see this tour.. and of course somehow blames me.

but they're not a band that's going to be spontaneous (at that point). every moment and note was carefully choreographed and rehearsed... I think in big part because of Edge's guitar being so effects driven.
Yeah see this is more Vegas, less rock & roll for me. It's a shame they went in this direction because Edge's guitar work on songs like Gloria, I Will Follow, New Year's Day etc. was the opposite of "effects driven". Just creative and raw.

Yeah see this is more Vegas, less rock & roll for me. It's a shame they went in this direction because Edge's guitar work on songs like Gloria, I Will Follow, New Year's Day etc. was the opposite of "effects driven". Just creative and raw.
I don't know the exact history... but IIRC, edge was on the effects pedals essentially from day 1. I thought that's what defined his, and U2's sound.

but happy to be corrected on this.

I've seen a Metric ####ton of assorted live shows.... Caught them in Atlanta about a decade or so ago and it was a fantastic show. I dislike the lack of spontaneity and generally choreographed feel, but they made up for it with overall intensity and quality of performance. I'd say they're a pretty easy Top 10 for me.

One thing that I loved was the crowd's involvement.... when a crowd is passionate about a band and the music, and REALLY into the show... it has the possibility to take the show to another level entirely. Pearl Jam shows are often like this (Fenway 1 & 2 were the best I've ever seen in this regard).... U2's fan base involvement at shows is up there as well. :thumbup:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the exact history... but IIRC, edge was on the effects pedals essentially from day 1. I thought that's what defined his, and U2's sound.

In "it might get loud" he certainly says it's where his interest is now.

And I can't recommend that movie enough, just awesome although it would have been even better with more jamming

Yeah, probably most guitarists use effects, I'm just saying I prefer the less produced sound of their earlier albums. If you're saying the effects require a rigid structure and no spontaneity, to me that's just not a rock show by definition. But I know they put on a huge production that lots of people really dig, so more power to 'em.

And I can't recommend that movie enough, just awesome although it would have been even better with more jamming
was that the one with jimmy page and jack white? if so- yeah, fantastic... and probably how that bit of info lodged in my brain.

Yeah, even on I Will Follow he was using an (analog) effects pedal.

:goodposting:  

Last time I considered myself a fan was high school, before they got huge. First 3 albums. I watched the Red Rocks show a million times, just 4 guys playing music without the massive production. Only album I listened to extensively after that was Achtung Baby.
Unforgettable Fire was their fourth album and Joshua Tree was the fifth. Not sure how you don't consider those great albums. 

And Rattle and Hum was a great album too. 

So if you didn't listen to any of those, I'd recommend firing up the Sony Walkman, busting out some cassette tapes and giving them a whirl.

Yes. Great film and a must see for any live music / guitar fan. :thumbup:  

I've seen a Metrick ####ton of live shows.... Caught them in Atlanta about a decade or so ago and it was a fantastic show. I dislike the lack of spontaneity and generally choreographed feel, but they made up for it with overall intensity and quality of performance. I'd say they're a pretty easy Top 10 for me.

One thing that I loved was the crowd's involvement.... when a crowd is passionate about a band and the music, and REALLY into the show... it has the possibility to take the show to another level entirely. Pearl Jam shows are often like this (Fenway 1 & 2 were the best I've ever seen in this regard).... U2's fan base involvement at shows is up there as well. :thumbup:  
Pearl Jam to me is the polar opposite of U2. Different sets every night, sometimes an acoustic set, sometimes no, tons of covers, encore sets written on the spot depending on the feel of the crowd/room. Tiny stage, no big visual effects. And those guys first and foremost are up there to play, really well. If you're giving me a 200 foot LED screen and the singer is gyrating as women pass out, I'm starting to feel this is less about the music and more of a Vegas type of thing. Which like I said, lots of people like and good for them. 

Pearl Jam to me is the polar opposite of U2. Different sets every night, sometimes an acoustic set, sometimes no, tons of covers, encore sets written on the spot depending on the feel of the crowd/room. Tiny stage, no big visual effects. And those guys first and foremost are up there to play, really well. If you're giving me a 200 foot LED screen and the singer is gyrating as women pass out, I'm starting to feel this is less about the music and more of a Vegas type of thing. Which like I said, lots of people like and good for them. 
Most definitely two COMPLETELY different approaches to live performances. PJ may have lost a touch of their edge from the 90's but they've made up for it in other areas. Unique set lists, tailored encores to the audience's feel for the night, and simply epic shows... 3hrs is the norm.

IIRC at Fenway they played 68 songs over 6+ hours in the two night stand at Fenway and only repeated TWO songs... because they knew it was a destination show and a LOT of hardcore fans were in town for both nights. You are right in that they are 100% about the music and making sure everyone who plunked down hard earned money walks away with an experience they will never forget. 

Not to mention, one reason I LOVE Pearl Jam is REASONABLE TICKET PRICES.
Best seats in the house are always under $100. Good luck getting in the door at a U2 show for that. 

And I love that I get to own a professionally recorded/mastered "live album" bootleg of every show I've been to (since they started the program). Great for re-living shows. 

Unforgettable Fire was their fourth album and Joshua Tree was the fifth. Not sure how you don't consider those great albums. 

And Rattle and Hum was a great album too. 

So if you didn't listen to any of those, I'd recommend firing up the Sony Walkman, busting out some cassette tapes and giving them a whirl.
By the time Unforgettable Fire came along I was more into hair metal, weed and girls (though I recall owning it and playing it more than once). Joshua Tree is a good album by any measure, but in those days it felt more like pop than rock to me, and played to death on radio/MTV. The big exception being Bullet the Blue Sky, one of their best songs imo.

Most definitely two COMPLETELY different approaches to live performances. PJ may have lost a touch of their edge from the 90's but they've made up for it in other areas. Unique set lists, tailored encores to the audience's feel for the night, and simply epic shows... 3hrs is the norm.

IIRC at Fenway they played 68 songs over 6+ hours in the two night stand at Fenway and only repeated TWO songs... because they knew it was a destination show and a LOT of hardcore fans were in town for both nights. You are right in that they are 100% about the music and making sure everyone who plunked down hard earned money walks away with an experience they will never forget. 

Best seats in the house are always under $100. Good luck getting in the door at a U2 show for that. 

And I love that I get to own a professionally recorded/mastered "live album" bootleg of every show I've been to (since they started the program). Great for re-living shows. 

Yep, I still marvel at my old stubs with $25 or $40 prices. Pretty easy to follow a whole tour leg even in your 20's when it's that cheap and you're getting a different show every night. They've always been completely music-centric and fan-centric and it's a huge reason I've always been into them. Sometimes it feels like there's no distinction between their presence on stage and mine in row Q seat 5. Everyone is part of the experience, as opposed to rock stars being worshipped.

Yep, I still marvel at my old stubs with $25 or $40 prices. Pretty easy to follow a whole tour leg even in your 20's when it's that cheap and you're getting a different show every night. They've always been completely music-centric and fan-centric and it's a huge reason I've always been into them. Sometimes it feels like there's no distinction between their presence on stage and mine in row Q seat 5. Everyone is part of the experience, as opposed to rock stars being worshipped.
Indeed. It was pretty cool having my GF at Fenway. She'd only seen them at JazzFest 2010 and it was a subpar show (My least favorite of 17 shows). She loves Eddie's solo acoustic shows (she's been with me for 4 of my 5 times seeing him) but didn't "Get" PJ yet due to the different "festival" vibe at Jazzfest. 

She was blown away at Fenway. She probably spent 10% of the show turned around smiling ear to ear in awe, watching the thousands of people behind us roaring and emoting along with every word/note. She finally "Got it".... and had the time of her life. She's a fan for life now. 

Sorry for the PJ hijack. 

The GF HATES U2, but I am going to get her to go see them live one day, and I think it'll click for her, seeing them live and feeling the energy in the room. We'll see. 

I paid $47.00 including all fees for two seats for Thursday.

Saw them this past Sunday at Lucas Oil in Indy. Never seen them live so it was a bucket list show for sure. They were awesome. I'd try to get on the floor if you can. We had seats, but maneuvered our way down and ended up maybe 15 feet from Bono and Edge a few times during the show. 

I was in Vancouver a week before they started this current world tour. Was walking back to hotel from dinner and heard someone rocking out to Joshua Tree album. After a couple songs we realized that it was the band practicing at the stadium.

We found out they were doing this all week so we went back down the next night and sat at a patio bar across the street and listened to the whole concert. 

Was pretty sweet, I imagine IN the stadium would have been really good.

Indeed. It was pretty cool having my GF at Fenway. She'd only seen them at JazzFest 2010 and it was a subpar show (My least favorite of 17 shows). She loves Eddie's solo acoustic shows (she's been with me for 4 of my 5 times seeing him) but didn't "Get" PJ yet due to the different "festival" vibe at Jazzfest. 

She was blown away at Fenway. She probably spent 10% of the show turned around smiling ear to ear in awe, watching the thousands of people behind us roaring and emoting along with every word/note. She finally "Got it".... and had the time of her life. She's a fan for life now. 

Sorry for the PJ hijack. 

The GF HATES U2, but I am going to get her to go see them live one day, and I think it'll click for her, seeing them live and feeling the energy in the room. We'll see. 
You dating Sergio Dipp?

This tour all the floor seats are GA standing room only. I pay $83 a ticket including all fees and such. My wife and I stood about 30 feet from the stage.

I've seen a Metric ####ton of assorted live shows.... Caught them in Atlanta about a decade or so ago and it was a fantastic show. I dislike the lack of spontaneity and generally choreographed feel, but they made up for it with overall intensity and quality of performance. I'd say they're a pretty easy Top 10 for me.

Sorry for the PJ hijack. 

Hey, I found you guys a thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/228400-official-pearl-jam-thread/

It's like talking to vegans. "Oh, the dairy-free, egg free, carob brownies I made last week are so much better than that Snickers bar you're about to eat!"

No, Nancy. No, they aren't. And either way, I don't care.
Not disparaging U2. Clearly stated I'm a huge fan, and they're Top 10 live. Just got onto a few post tangent about the different ends of the spectrum. You can have your precious thread back. ;)

Oh... and Vegans suck. 

I was in Vancouver a week before they started this current world tour. Was walking back to hotel from dinner and heard someone rocking out to Joshua Tree album. After a couple songs we realized that it was the band practicing at the stadium.

We found out they were doing this all week so we went back down the next night and sat at a patio bar across the street and listened to the whole concert. 

Was pretty sweet, I imagine IN the stadium would have been really good.
:thumbup:  

Yesterday there was a Royals game at Kauffman Stadium, a few hundred feet from Arrowhead with just concrete paths and such between them.  Between innings we were walking the concourse and heard Where The Streets Have No Name off in the distance.  It was sound check over at Arrowhead.

Kauffman and Arrowhead rarely book events on the same day, so it was a rare opportunity and a ton of fun to hit up both on the same day.  

Saw them this past Sunday at Lucas Oil in Indy. Never seen them live so it was a bucket list show for sure. They were awesome. I'd try to get on the floor if you can. We had seats, but maneuvered our way down and ended up maybe 15 feet from Bono and Edge a few times during the show. 

This tour all the floor seats are GA standing room only. I pay $83 a ticket including all fees and such. My wife and I stood about 30 feet from the stage.
Good to hear the floor section was worth it.  I was in the lower bowl in Minneapolis and the upper deck last night; if I catch another show on the tour (unlikely, not totally out of the question) I'll try to see it from the floor.  

Good to hear the floor section was worth it.  I was in the lower bowl in Minneapolis and the upper deck last night; if I catch another show on the tour (unlikely, not totally out of the question) I'll try to see it from the floor.  
Floor in KC, upper deck in Seattle for me. I am in Mississippi the next 2 days and considered driving to New Orleans to hit the show tomorrow night.   

Users who are viewing this thread