What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shoehei is coming (1 Viewer)

I hope an AL team gets him and he pitches and DHs the other days
Honestly, I still have a hard time believing any team will let him play both. He's only played > 100 games once in 5 years (51 games this year). How are you going to let him pitch every 5 days and let him hit and run bases?  I just don't see how he can prep for that while also doing the side throwing sessions and everything that comes from pitching - he'd wear down by the end of June. 

Is he a better pitcher or hitter? What teams have the most international money?
I believe his pitching value exceeds hit hitting value, but he's a MLB talent at both... as far as money - I think there's a number of teams that can offer him what is now the max deal, it'll likely come down to marketability and what other demands Otani might have as far as pitching / hitting. 

My off the cuff guess with no facts behind it would be Yankees or Mariners. 

CBS confirmed in their podcast that when Otani comes over, he will be two separate players. Otani the pitcher, and Otani the hitter. 

Kind of lame... I can’t imagine he’ll carry enough value as a hitter to even be worth rostering in standard leagues. 

CBS confirmed in their podcast that when Otani comes over, he will be two separate players. Otani the pitcher, and Otani the hitter. 

Kind of lame... I can’t imagine he’ll carry enough value as a hitter to even be worth rostering in standard leagues. 
That'll be two roster slots for @rodg12

That'll be two roster slots for @rodg12
I’ve got him in my dynasty too... that’s why I’ve been following so closely. We run through ESPN, so hoping they can consolidate him down to 1 spot. 

I kinda want to move the league, we just keep prospects on a spreadsheet until added and do placeholders.  It’s kind of frustrating though. I’ve been carrying Barry Zito for a year as my Otani placeholder. 

CBS allows the commissioner to add unlisted players.  They've done a better job over the years in getting drafted and signed players into the system but there is still the occasional outlier.  I keep a running list on the league homepage to track ownership of unlisted players.

I don't like the possibility of Otani-P and Otani-DH on different teams at all.

I hate it. 

I hate it as an owner that'll possibly need two roster spots taken now and I hate it from a precedent standpoint for the league. I don’t care about accruing pitching and hitting stats in the same game, but I don’t see why they can’t just make him a P, DH, UTIL player who you can play at one spot, either pitching or hitting. Seems logical to me. 

CBS allows the commissioner to add unlisted players.  They've done a better job over the years in getting drafted and signed players into the system but there is still the occasional outlier.  I keep a running list on the league homepage to track ownership of unlisted players.

Completely agree.  Two roster spots for him is some nonsense.  Silly CBS.  <_<  

rodg12 said:
Completely agree.  Two roster spots for him is some nonsense.  Silly CBS.  <_<  
Yeah, I own him in my CBS league as well. He's ONE of my 10 minor league keepers. If it comes down to it, I will probably just drop Otani the DH and keep Otani the P. Seems weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I don't even play fbb anymore but that's garbage. Just make him 1 player but force the owner to decide if he's going to be a hitter or pitcher on any given day. Why is that so hard?

I assume it's a major programming challenge to change the fantasy scoring engine for one player.

That's so dumb. So he has to be drafted twice? Why can't he have multi-position eligibility like any other player? P-OF, etc? And you decide what slot to start him in? If he's in your P slot he can only accumulate pitching stats. If he's in the OF slot, he can only accumulate hitting stats?

That's so dumb. So he has to be drafted twice? Why can't he have multi-position eligibility like any other player? P-OF, etc? And you decide what slot to start him in? If he's in your P slot he can only accumulate pitching stats. If he's in the OF slot, he can only accumulate hitting stats?

I assume it's a major programming challenge to change the fantasy scoring engine for one player.

At his low cost, he's going to get to sign pretty much wherever he wants on his terms, which I predict to be SP/DH in the AL. Seattle and NYY are obvious choices, but maybe HOU and CLE possible, wherever he thinks he can get a ring and the let him go two ways.

from a Rangers beat guy on twitter...

Available budgets for remaining Ohtani finalists: Rangers ($3.53m), Mariners ($1.57m), Angels ($1.315m), Cubs ($300k), Padres ($300k), Dodgers ($300k), Giants ($300k)

These amounts represent what would essentially be a signing bonus.

Since there's no chance he was ever coming to Philly, Id much prefer to see him go to a harmless team like the Padres or Mariners.

I hope that he told the Yankees no in just 3 words.

Aaron ####### Boone?

Since there's no chance he was ever coming to Philly, Id much prefer to see him go to a harmless team like the Padres or Mariners.
This is what I’m hoping for. Plus it would give me a reason to tune in to the 10:05 start time west coast games during the week before I head to bed. If the Braves aren’t playing out west, it takes a special pitching talent for me to tune in for more than a minute. Basically Felix, Kershaw, and Lincecum are the few that have made me tune in to this games in the past decade. 

from a Rangers beat guy on twitter...

Available budgets for remaining Ohtani finalists: Rangers ($3.53m), Mariners ($1.57m), Angels ($1.315m), Cubs ($300k), Padres ($300k), Dodgers ($300k), Giants ($300k)

These amounts represent what would essentially be a signing bonus.
Yesterday, Mariners and Angels both traded for more $ for their international budget (the pool being referenced above). IIRC, they each added about $1 million, each giving up an early round (top 5 rounds) pick from the 2017 draft.

Also LOL at anyone that intimated that market size had anything to do with his decision (I'm looking at you Brian Cashman).

Angels are a curious fit if he wants to DH since they have Pujols and his millions still owed there already.  I don't know how much he can play 1B at this point.

Angels are a curious fit if he wants to DH since they have Pujols and his millions still owed there already.  I don't know how much he can play 1B at this point.
I don't know how much DH Pujols can play at this point either

How are the majority of your leagues handling Ohtani for roster and scoring?  We have discussed making him two different players or allowing all pitchers hitting stats to count if you want them too.  Or just treating him like any other player with multiple position eligibility - start him in a lineup spot and those are the stats you accumulate.  Only hitting points if you have him at DH and only pitching points if you have him at P. 

What are you doing?

Users who are viewing this thread