What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prospective pickups for week 2 (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
In one of the recent threads it was mentioned how the news sources has taken away the waiver wire edge owners used to have years ago - and there is some truth to that.

So in recent years, I have made an effort to get to the waiver wire a week early - and had some success.  Sure there are some spoils cause it's not a science.  And most rosters have some guy at the bottom that can be cut and never missed.  I would rather gamble with that roster spot than waste it.

Last week, I beat the crowd to Carson, RB, Sea.

So my prospective add for this week - Jamaal Williams, RB, GB.  Montgomery did not fair well last weak - admittedly against a tough defense but he also got a little dinged up.  I think Jamaal works his way into a little more pt this week and a little success could bring more opportunities.

Anybody care to share theirs?

Kamara. if the usage continues the way it did last week, it is a matter of time before he blows up.

Mack and Perine would be int he "others receiving votes" category, along with Williams. I disagree that Ty looked bad, and think that, of the 3, Williams is the most dependant on injury to become relevant.

100% agree on how from a WW perspective, you want to anticipate the hype wave, not ride it.

JJ Nelson is a guy with an opportunity.  I can't see the ARI run game being leaned on like it was.  And their second best receiver is gone with DJ out.  

Perine is a good one in redraft, assuming he wasn't drafted. If the Redskins look bad on offense again, they're going to have to think about making the move away from Kelley. It's only a matter of time.

The two deeper prospective guys I'm liking this week are Markus Wheaton and Jakeem Grant - both for dynasty leagues. Wheaton may be owned already and may return this week from injury, but I haven't seen any discussion about him, only a few mentions of Deonte Thompson and maybe Josh Bellamy. I like Tanner Gentry too, but he didn't even make the 53 the first time around. Wheaton to me has the best chance of being an actual #1 WR (and deep threat) for the Bears this season and that might be worth something, especially once Trubisky starts playing. He's had a largely forgettable career so far, but he has some talent and could surprise with little competition for targets. They also paid him a lot of money in free agency.

Grant is much more of a dart throw, but in the spirit of the ascendance of Tyreek Hill and Tarik Cohen, maybe other teams will look to utilise the explosiveness of these undersized players. Grant is a little too undersized really, but he was really impressive in preseason and looks to have improved a fair bit from his rookie year. He doesn't have a clear depth chart, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that Gase looks to get him involved a little. Maybe someone whose role could grow at the expense of Kenny Stills (or even Landry if they think he can only play out of the slot). I think it's unlikely, as he was playing with the scrubs in the 4th week of preseason, but there might be something here worth watching. Admittedly more of a watchlist guy than necessary pick up though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe 4 to 6 weeks too early but Corey Clement of PHI. Blount is a mule, Smallwood is a dunce at pass pro, and Pumphrey has done nothing impressive. I posted a few weeks ago that no Eagles RB was worth owning because it was a death time share but it's possible they're all so terrible (other than Sproles' 5-10 touches a game) that someone like Clement emerges as the only guy trying.

You think the Saints will get blown out every week?
Kamara was in quite a bit in the first half, when it was a tie or 1 possession game.

ETA - and yeah, them getting blown out a good bit doesn't seem extremely unlikely, now that you mention it.

I'm not saying to do it but Josh Gordon would fit The Dudes strategy of speculative additions. If he gets reinstated next week he'll be a hot waiver wire addition no matter if it's really warranted or not.

Austin Sefarian Jenkins. Looks to be starting TE for the Jets after one more week on suspension if you are in need. 

Matt Breida and Donta Foreman. To early to give up on Breida... It's only a matter of time for Hyde. Miller, Blue, and Ervin are beyond trash. Foreman is the spark the Texans need. O'Brien said Foreman will get more touches although more could mean 2 as he got 1 last week.

Austin Sefarian Jenkins. Looks to be starting TE for the Jets after one more week on suspension if you are in need. 
This is a shot in the dark flier. Yea, he's talented, but he's got "suspension" written all over him. Not for anything specific, mind you, he's just one of those guys. Why do you think TB benched him, released him, then drafted OJ? 

If he had signed with NE or with another no-nonsense established program, I'd be a buyer. But the Jets? It's like sending a clown to the circus.

This is a shot in the dark flier. Yea, he's talented, but he's got "suspension" written all over him. Not for anything specific, mind you, he's just one of those guys. Why do you think TB benched him, released him, then drafted OJ? 

If he had signed with NE or with another no-nonsense established program, I'd be a buyer. But the Jets? It's like sending a clown to the circus.
If he went to NE he would be buried and never play. He is the only legitimate red zone threat on a terrible team but someone will score TDs. He was making a lot of noise in training camp. People can turn it around when they know they are running out of chances. 

In one of the recent threads it was mentioned how the news sources has taken away the waiver wire edge owners used to have years ago - and there is some truth to that.

So in recent years, I have made an effort to get to the waiver wire a week early - and had some success.  Sure there are some spoils cause it's not a science.  And most rosters have some guy at the bottom that can be cut and never missed.  I would rather gamble with that roster spot than waste it.

Last week, I beat the crowd to Carson, RB, Sea.

So my prospective add for this week - Jamaal Williams, RB, GB.  Montgomery did not fair well last weak - admittedly against a tough defense but he also got a little dinged up.  I think Jamaal works his way into a little more pt this week and a little success could bring more opportunities.

Anybody care to share theirs?
I'm likely the biggest critic of Ty Montgomery in these forums... but to say he didn't fair well last week is completely bonkers... he looked like the work horse lead back that everyone but me was saying he'd be leading into this season. He looked amazing. Like an actual RB; not a WR pretending to be RB. He was rated the top RB in pass pro week 1. Williams saw one carry. Aaron Jones wasn't even active. Ty Montgomery won't be losing carries until he gets hurt. 

Definitely one of the Cardinals WRs, as John Brown has popped up on the injury report again. Looks like he may constantly struggle to stay fit. 

Jacksonville Jaguars. After they play the Titans this week they get the Ravens and the Jets next two weeks 

I agree with jumping a week early on the wire but right now injury speculation/anticipation.

Just throwing darts but I'm watching James Conner in Pitt. If (IF) Bell gets hurt Tomlin doesn't seem to change his RB usage (many/most coaches would switch to more of a RBBC) making Conner one of the higher usage prospects.

But, who the heck knows with wires so depleted at this point.

He likely didn't start on your WW, but he might have been dropped after Richardson's great game last week. 40% owned according to Yahoo. Tyler Lockett... coach wants him to get more snaps this week. Easing him back in and I expect him to get some meaningful targets.

Another Marquis Lee (24% owned) assuming the WR1 role in Jacksonville

RBs are difficult because they are likely heavily depleted after week 1, but I'll throw out two names: Dion Lewis and Marlon Mack.

Now, I'd likely avoid any IND players just because they are a pile of hot garbage, but he's getting goal line carries and split offensive snaps almost equally with Frank Gore. IND needs a spark... if Brissett can prove to be just slightly below average to average, maybe IND has a salvageable season to some degree. I was high on Mack before the draft and think he would give this offense a spark if they could find someone to play QB half decent.

Dion Lewis is in a rough scenario, but that's exactly why I like him. Look for him to be traded soon. Rumor is many teams have asked about him
Lee is definitely on my radar but I want to see the target distribution first before I make a move.

Definitely one of the Cardinals WRs, as John Brown has popped up on the injury report again. Looks like he may constantly struggle to stay fit. 

Jacksonville Jaguars. After they play the Titans this week they get the Ravens and the Jets next two weeks 
I'm not seeing much value at all in the Cards offense outside Fitz.

I'm likely the biggest critic of Ty Montgomery in these forums... but to say he didn't fair well last week is completely bonkers... he looked like the work horse lead back that everyone but me was saying he'd be leading into this season. He looked amazing. Like an actual RB; not a WR pretending to be RB. He was rated the top RB in pass pro week 1. Williams saw one carry. Aaron Jones wasn't even active. Ty Montgomery won't be losing carries until he gets hurt. 
Agreed. Williams is just another ww handcuff at this point. TyMont is the cow.

Probably doesn't matter much.

Not 100% sure, but I think the Saints throw to the RB more than anyone else in the NFL.
I can't remember the number and I don't want to do the research again, but I think since Sean Payton became an offensive coordinator something ridiculous like 80% of all 80 catch running back seasons were on Sean Payton coached offenses.

Kamara should eventually get a decent amount of touches.  That could be next week or mid-season.  Looks like the Saints are trying to figure out their RBs as they go.  AP looks done but Payton will probably not shut him down entirely for a few more weeks. 

I didn't watch the game intently - but 19 carries for 54 yards is not getting it done in the NFL.  Yes it was a formidable defense.  It's a watch situation right now.

want deep ?

someone is going to have to catch Watson's passes ...and Hopkins will be doubled all day

Jaelen Strong? or deeper, that rookie TE Evan Baylis

I was surprised to see Kamara's ownership percentage so low--only 29% owned on Yahoo.  Is he really still out there in most 12-team leagues?

I think Shane Vereen is worth a look, too.  19% owned on Yahoo, played 55% of the Giants' RB snaps.  10 targets, no carries, but Perkins continued to achieve nothing in the run game.  The offense will change a lot when Beckham is available and the games are competitive, but a healthy Vereen is simply a much better back than Perkins.

I didn't watch the game intently - but 19 carries for 54 yards is not getting it done in the NFL.  Yes it was a formidable defense.  It's a watch situation right now.
First half was a rough one for both teams. Ty looked pretty bad the first half, but no one looked particularly good. In the second half he made some great cuts, long gains, and ran with decisiveness. Broke tackles and made people miss. He impressed me very much. Furthermore Rodgers looked his way quite a bit with passing the ball and on check downs when he was in trouble. 

The most significant concern that was put to bed was that Ty got the goal line carries. This was his biggest weakness last year and looked pathetic on several tries (like a WR trying to run the ball at the goal line). They ended up going to Ripkowski for that last season. Ty stuffed it in on the first try. If he keeps goal line carries his value goes much higher. 

I was super wrong about Ty making the leap from last season, and I couldn't be happier about it, but at this point if Ty loses his starting job it'll be because of injury not poor play. Unless last week was a fluke... but it certainly didn't look like it. 

It could be a watch scenario to some degree, but I think Ty is looking like the real deal. 

FWIW I think you have the incorrect RB to stake yuor claim too... Aaron Jones is the better long term answer over Williams. But with how Ty looked that could be another 2 years down the road. 

Matt Breida and Donta Foreman. To early to give up on Breida... It's only a matter of time for Hyde. Miller, Blue, and Ervin are beyond trash. Foreman is the spark the Texans need. O'Brien said Foreman will get more touches although more could mean 2 as he got 1 last week.
I think Foreman is one of the few possible "league winner" pickups. It's not a clear road for him, but if he starts, I think the situation is potentially great.

Someone from OAK is another possibility but a pure injury play.

Lastly, this is a week early mostly likely, John Ross WR CIN... this reminds me eerily of OBJ's scenario... highly touted rookie starting hurt and flying under the radar. Could be a huge shark move. Don't get me started on his microfracture already though... that concerns me long term but I imagine you could move him in 3 years in dynasty before his knee start to crumble away
purely speculative; this is my target. dude can flat out fly. 

not a bad guy to take a flyer on

I drafted Dwayne Allen but that is a te that when gronk gets hurt is a top 5 threat at the te position.

if on the waivers will be basically free now versus when gronk goes down.

I think Foreman is one of the few possible "league winner" pickups. It's not a clear road for him, but if he starts, I think the situation is potentially great.

Someone from OAK is another possibility but a pure injury play.
I think Oakland would be too much of a time share to be of value. I agree on Foreman having great potential and Breida is right up there as well however both are on offenses where shall we say the passing game isn't feared by other teams so that hurts their overall appeal even if they do get the nod.

On the TE front Dwayne Allen and Vernon Davis are frontrunners for lottery tickets that need injuries to succeed. With Reed's toe I'm surprised more people haven't picked up Davis.

want deep ?

someone is going to have to catch Watson's passes ...and Hopkins will be doubled all day

Jaelen Strong? or deeper, that rookie TE Evan Baylis
I'm trying to make room for Tyler Ervin. Could catch a lot of passes as an outlet for the young QB.

If he went to NE he would be buried and never play. He is the only legitimate red zone threat on a terrible team but someone will score TDs. He was making a lot of noise in training camp. People can turn it around when they know they are running out of chances. 
Let's hope so. 

Not to damper the optimism, but "making a lot of noise in training camp" could have been cut-n-pasted from his time in TB. 

First half was a rough one for both teams. Ty looked pretty bad the first half, but no one looked particularly good. In the second half he made some great cuts, long gains, and ran with decisiveness. Broke tackles and made people miss. He impressed me very much. Furthermore Rodgers looked his way quite a bit with passing the ball and on check downs when he was in trouble. 

The most significant concern that was put to bed was that Ty got the goal line carries. This was his biggest weakness last year and looked pathetic on several tries (like a WR trying to run the ball at the goal line). They ended up going to Ripkowski for that last season. Ty stuffed it in on the first try. If he keeps goal line carries his value goes much higher. 

I was super wrong about Ty making the leap from last season, and I couldn't be happier about it, but at this point if Ty loses his starting job it'll be because of injury not poor play. Unless last week was a fluke... but it certainly didn't look like it. 

It could be a watch scenario to some degree, but I think Ty is looking like the real deal. 

FWIW I think you have the incorrect RB to stake yuor claim too... Aaron Jones is the better long term answer over Williams. But with how Ty looked that could be another 2 years down the road. 
Good info - IMO, you have to remove how he played in the passing game.  He could always do that role and not be the lead RB.  

By design, these proclamations are going to be debatable - because we're trying to predict the fantasy news and guessing at 1-3 weeks out.  Plus these proclamations are only going to have about a 10% hit rate (maybe lower) - but if you hit, it's a huge payoff

D Wash, get in early if you have the space.. ML still runs very hard, looks like a very good O-Line.. at some point, he will be dinged.. D Wash looks like the next in line...

I drafted Josh Doctson but looking to drop and add another young guy with a high ceiling. What's y'all thoughts on him this year? Is he worth stashing or would Foreman, Breida, Conner be better?

Regarding Mack...  Even though he started out poorly, my feeling is that if the Colts had challenged Mack's catch and goal line stretch (which was clearly a TD), there'd be a lot more discussion since he would've had two TDs.

The real question is, will he gradually take touches away from Gore going forward, regardless of the QB?

I have Gore already, but debating on dropping him for Mack.

Regarding Mack...  Even though he started out poorly, my feeling is that if the Colts had challenged Mack's catch and goal line stretch (which was clearly a TD), there'd be a lot more discussion since he would've had two TDs.

The real question is, will he gradually take touches away from Gore going forward, regardless of the QB?

I have Gore already, but debating on dropping him for Mack.
Drop Gore - word is getting out on Mack

I drafted Josh Doctson but looking to drop and add another young guy with a high ceiling. What's y'all thoughts on him this year? Is he worth stashing or would Foreman, Breida, Conner be better?
I think Perine may be the right call for the week.  Kelly is going to get stuffed again with LAR - door should be cracking open this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread