What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question about a penalty in the Bengals v. Texans game (1 Viewer)

Loss By Design

Footballguy
I'm trying to wrap my brain around a particular play that happened in last night's game.  It's the 2nd play of the Bengals 1st drive in Q1 (2nd & 5):

NFL.com Play-by-play Log: Texans @ Bengals

(13:24) 14-A.Dalton pass short left to 18-A.Green ran ob at HOU 45 for 4 yards (30-K.Johnson). PENALTY on CIN-60-T.Johnson, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at HOU 48. {AJ Green credited with 1 yard REC due to penalty}

Somehow, AJ Green gets credit for 1 receiving yard on an accepted in-play CIN penalty that moves them back 10 yards but lets them repeat 2nd down. For some reason I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this (particularly repeating the down but still awarding statistics). It was a 4 yard play, and Green was credited with 1 yard of it.  The next play was 2nd & 14, so there was no loss of down, but 1 yard and a reception were awarded to AJ Green.

I'm sure it's correct, but could someone please explain it?

Some of it counted and impacted the spot.  If a guy already has positive yardage when the foul happens, he gets what is done up to the point of the penalty.  

To clarify what happened on the actual play, a lineman ran downfield after a quick screen and shoved a guy in the back. 

Users who are viewing this thread