What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if the NFL allowed offensive holding? (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
It seems to me that outlawing offensive holding would fix some huge issues the NFL has.  First, OL play sucks.  Second, pass rushers are almost unstoppable.  Third, QB's are going to get destroyed if they don't do something.

Why not allow holding?  This is in the free-for-all because people here are smarter.

there's holding on just about every play ... who knows what factors into the rags being tossed for some but not others? 

Vegas?  :shrug:

Man, me and a buddy were just talking about this the other day. And the fact that we just hate the amount of freaking flags in an NFL game. We were thinking this:

1. Make offensive holding just a 5 yard penalty. That offensive holding penalty just kills drives.

2. Eliminate the automatic first down for defensive holding and illegal hands to the face. Nothing more frustrating than watching these 5 yard penalties turn into automatic first downs on a 3rd and 18.

That's all I got for now. 

Q:  What would happen if the NFL allowed offensive holding?

A:  It would be called a Packer game.

To improve scoring and field position I think players should be able to block from behind on kickoffs and punts.  Not a destroy type block but just a push or shove works well from behind to open return lanes.  Seems like every good return is flagged for a block from behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding and pass interference are the two calls in football that require a lot of judgment on the part of the officials.  Sometimes its easy, but there are a lot of grey areas.  The basic principle is that it has to be relevant to the play and the foul has to have an effect on the player in question.

Man, me and a buddy were just talking about this the other day. And the fact that we just hate the amount of freaking flags in an NFL game. We were thinking this:

1. Make offensive holding just a 5 yard penalty. That offensive holding penalty just kills drives.

2. Eliminate the automatic first down for defensive holding and illegal hands to the face. Nothing more frustrating than watching these 5 yard penalties turn into automatic first downs on a 3rd and 18.

That's all I got for now. 
#2 will never happen, especially for holding. They dont want "grab the WR" to be a get out of jail free card on any play where a DB gets beat. You want to do it to save a touchdown? That's fine. But allowing it as a bailout on 3rd and 7? Not a chance.

To improve scoring and field position I think players should be able to block from behind on kickoffs and punts.  Not a destroy type block but a shove works well from behind to open return lanes.
They are trying to decrease injuries, not increase.

A lot of guys get hurt from blocks in the back because they are already running full speed and then to sudden get pushed forward, they lose all control and there would be some very dangerous collisions.

They are trying to decrease injuries, not increase.

A lot of guys get hurt from blocks in the back because they are already running full speed and then to sudden get pushed forward, they lose all control and there would be some very dangerous collisions.
Just a push or shove only.   Many of these calls are very ticky tacky on returns.

Just a push or shove only.   Many of these calls are very ticky tacky on returns.
A push or shove is all it takes to turn a tackle into a dangerous collision.  The reason they call them (and trust me, players and coaches SCREAM for blocks in the back on kicks all the time), is because a slight shove can move a couple of yards off of their line and free up the runner for a long return.  If it is from the back, it is cheating.  From the side, legal.  Sometimes even that is a grey area.

Shoving a player in the back is considered a pretty serious infraction in the four main sports I follow - Football, Soccer, Rugby and Basketball. It seems there's just something inherently wrong, if not dangerous, with shoving a player from behind.

if offensive holding were allowed every offensive record there is would be shattered. The company that has the jersey contract would be thrilled. 

we just hate the amount of freaking flags in an NFL game. We were thinking this:

I thought you wanted fewer penalties, not more?  :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread