What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2 Surprises, Fakes and Frauds exposed (1 Viewer)

Sarlakticacid

Footballguy
Another data point for almost every team submitted.

What did you see?

I will be interested to see Detroits D against a younger/Decent QB

Buck Allen has to be a big surprise. He played well a few years ago, but it seems like the Ravens tried to go with every other RB in creation over him. Sometimes opportunity knocks and you answer the bell.

Nelson Aghelor blew up in week 1 and has definitely improved over last year, but he's still way down in the pecking order in the Eagles passing offense.

The maturation of Matt Stafford over the last 27 games under Cooter continues. In some ways he's being asked to do less (vertical routes, forcing balls in tight windows), and in other ways being asked to do much more (effective/selective running, presnap reads.)

I think the Lions are a playoff team because they have a good defense and great special teams. I'm happy I don't own any of their players in FF, though. This is not a team of stars or superior talent. Tate will get his, they're committed to the run game, but I don't see any of them as consistent producers.

Corey Davis turned into a pumpkin. 

I think he will have more good days than bad, but I think it was a heavy dose of realism with him for his owners. I was disappointed I missed out, still am, but I think those WR1/2 expectations were tempered a little bit back to WR3/flex

More data showing how much of a dumpster fire the Giants offense currently is:

Next Gen Stats recap: Giants' offense has deep issues
Here you go Faust...

Giants coach Ben McAdoo says the team is "absolutely" sticking with Ereck Flowers at left tackle for Week 3.

Rotoworld: Flowers got his soul owned on Monday Night Football, single-handedly ending Ziggy Ansah's pass-rushing slump. He was whipped for three sacks, more or less torpedoing the Giants' offense. Flowers was just as bad in Week 1, as well as the preseason. The G-Men are running low on viable alternatives, but are likely nearing "anyone but Flowers" territory.

Source: Kimberly Jones on Twitter

Sep 19 - 4:30 PM

Corey Davis turned into a pumpkin. 

I think he will have more good days than bad, but I think it was a heavy dose of realism with him for his owners. I was disappointed I missed out, still am, but I think those WR1/2 expectations were tempered a little bit back to WR3/flex
Because he had one bad game where he got injured and the Titans were up big (and therefore felt no need to rush him back)?

The truth is, we don't know a whole lot more about Davis than we did before the season. I still view him as a lottery ticket. The track record for WRs who get drafted that high is *very* good, though he's certainly not guaranteed to be an every-week starter as a rookie.

Because he had one bad game where he got injured and the Titans were up big (and therefore felt no need to rush him back)?

The truth is, we don't know a whole lot more about Davis than we did before the season. I still view him as a lottery ticket. The track record for WRs who get drafted that high is *very* good, though he's certainly not guaranteed to be an every-week starter as a rookie.
A lot of people were super pumped in his thread, talking about him as if they scored big and had an every-week starter. That's why I mentioned it. 

I thought I qualified my statement by saying, "I think he will have more good days than bad." I am a big fan of his. I think he has a very bright future. But people were thinking they had a WR1/2 after 1 week because he was heavily involved and put up WR1 numbers. It was a dose of reality; I think he was exposed for what he is- a rookie WR who is very good, but not an every week starter (yet). I think we agree completely on him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people were super pumped in his thread, talking about him as if they scored big and had an every-week starter. That's why I mentioned it. 

I thought I qualified my statement by saying, "I think he will have more good days than bad." I am a big fan of his. I think he has a very bright future. But people were thinking they had a WR1/2 after 1 week because he was heavily involved and put up WR1 numbers. It was a dose of reality; I think he was exposed for what he is- a rookie WR who is very good, but not an every week starter (yet). I think we agree completely on him. 
Ah, I had missed that, so didn't realize that was what you were reacting to.

My rule of thumb is that rookie WRs may show flashes, but will almost always be inconsistent. Only exceptions I can think of are Moss, AJ Green and OBJ. Even talents like Megatron and Julio were slowed by injuries. So Davis would likely need to be a generational talent (and stay healthy) to become a no-doubt starter. Which could happen, but I'm not betting the farm on it.

Ah, I had missed that, so didn't realize that was what you were reacting to.

My rule of thumb is that rookie WRs may show flashes, but will almost always be inconsistent. Only exceptions I can think of are Moss, AJ Green and OBJ. Even talents like Megatron and Julio were slowed by injuries. So Davis would likely need to be a generational talent (and stay healthy) to become a no-doubt starter. Which could happen, but I'm not betting the farm on it.
Yeah, too early to judge him as a generational talent or not, but even guys like Hopkins, Cooper, Crabtree, Allen, Nelson, etc are weekly starters but not considered "generational talent" IMO. I think Davis will at least end up in that category; potential WR1, great WR2, weekly starter in fantasy. He could still flame out but the guy has lots of potential. I think people jumped the gun a little bit thinking they might have had an OBJ type rookie for a relatively low cost. Still could, but week 2 was a little bit of a wake up. I mentioned in the Taylor thread, TEN will have a really fun offense to watch in 1-3 seasons, if not already

Nelson Aghelor blew up in week 1 and has definitely improved over last year, but he's still way down in the pecking order in the Eagles passing offense.
Agree on improvement, but until I see some consistency, Agholor is still in the fake camp in my books.

Showed promise in Game 1, especially with Wentz looking good and there really being no true RB1 on the team stepping up to take pressure off the passing game -- this is a team that will continue to run it's offense through the pass. So opportunity is there -- but not sure I trust Agholor to fully capitalize on it.

For instance, Agholor was shut down completely by Philip Gaines, who isn't anywhere near a shutdown corner. I still see Agholor as I did coming into the season -- a promising talent that has not translated successfully to the pro game. 648 yards and 3 TDs over the last two seasons doesn't spell someone who all of the sudden is a star after one good game. He'll have his games when Alshon is against a true shut-down corner, but not sure I trust him to bring consistent fantasy relevance. 

Users who are viewing this thread