What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hi, my name is Skoo and I'm addicted to FF rankings (1 Viewer)

Skoo

Footballguy
Today is Day 1 of recovery.

No more looking at rankings for me. Had my worst FF year last year and talked about doing it then, but fell right back into the trap once Week 1 came around.

It's not that I'm a slave to the rankings per se, but they definitely get in my head. So if I go against the "experts", and it turns out to be the wrong move, I spend the day kicking myself. If I go with the experts over my gut and they're wrong, same thing.

I'm sure many of you have stopped this practice long ago, but at this point I've been doing it for so long it's actually pretty hard not to look.

Would love to hear from others who have are or have had this problem as well!  Good luck this week everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I set my next week's lineup as soon as I wake up Tuesday morning.  Before any rankings are out. I like for it to be based solely on my experience and "skill".  But I also have a tendency to peak at the weekly rankings as the week rolls on.  If a guy on my bench is consistently ranked ahead of a guy I've started, I'll dig a little deeper and try to figure out what I missed. Once in a while, I end up changing the lineup. But nothing sucks more than changing away from your initial gut instinct and getting burned by it.

I set my next week's lineup as soon as I wake up Tuesday morning.  Before any rankings are out. I like for it to be based solely on my experience and "skill".  But I also have a tendency to peak at the weekly rankings as the week rolls on.  If a guy on my bench is consistently ranked ahead of a guy I've started, I'll dig a little deeper and try to figure out what I missed. Once in a while, I end up changing the lineup. But nothing sucks more than changing away from your initial gut instinct and getting burned by it.
I like this idea, thanks.

last minute changes to lineup usually burns me.  Changing to a guy that you want to see on a Thursday night game for example.  I tend to beat myself up over this crap, although I'm getting better.  one day at a time.

last minute changes to lineup usually burns me.  Changing to a guy that you want to see on a Thursday night game for example.  I tend to beat myself up over this crap, although I'm getting better.  one day at a time.
Rostering players that are featured on Thurs night football is probably a big part of your problem (other than week one).

I've been saying it for years in this forum.  The rankings are completely useless as a predictive tool.  They are almost never right (and in fairness to the rankers, how could they be?)

I set lineup based on stud status/matchup/injuries (player and o-line) and momentum.  

If Dodds has one of my guys at #12 and the other at #16 (usually separated by a single point delta in the projections), I pay it no mind.

:goodposting:   This has proven to be the best strategy for me as well.

Projections > rankings.  Much harder to find good ones, but the additional context is critical for me personally.

Agree very much with this. A lot of the times on Mondays, or even late on on the Sunday whilst my current weeks matchup is still going on, I'm looking at my roster for next week and making decisions e.g. Javorious Allen was moved into my flex position for week 3 by about 10pm Sunday night just gone. Then across the week, a variety of podcast chat and some articles from writers that I like e.g. Rich Hribar worksheet, might cause me to look a little closer at one or two things. 

I actually 'asked Sig a question' in week 2 there, but before that I basically stopped doing that the entire last season. I mean, why do you bother time listening to like 5-6 podcasts a week from people including Sig himself, and read articles if your not going to use them to make an informed decision with a little gut thrown in for yourself ? 

If you put that time in to learn each week, why would you go with someone just making a snap decision on your lineup in most likely less than 2 seconds thought ? 

Hi @Skoo (applauds with others)

thanks for sharing.  The first step is admitting you have a problem. You're among friends. This is a safe space. 

:yes:  

i also look at rankings. I look at rotoworld, CBS, etc. and I usually find myself talking to them. Saying things like "oh shut up [sports writer guy] - you wrote that before so-and-so was hurt. These rankings are garbage!" 

Except when they agree with me and I think,"you guys are super smart!"

:lol:  

RB Tarik Cohen and Why Rankings Suck (But We Want Them Anyway…)

Reader demand drives the inclusion of list-style rankings in the RSP. However, list-style rankings don’t provide the nuance that readers should have about the talent and fit.

Running back, tight end, and receiver positions have prospects with a wide variety of physical dimensions, athletic talents, and skill sets. Even a scoring system with all of the criteria of the RSP still has to prioritize which talents and skill sets are most important.

Every scoring system that’s consistent implicitly defines its standard of what’s ideal and grades every player to it.The system rewards players that come closest. Players like Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, and Rob Gronkowski are obvious high scorers.

Grading to a standard is excellent when seeking the best all-around talents—and I will never stop doing so. Yet, list-style rankings are harder for some readers to recognize the value of players that I’ve assigned a lower number on a list, but value their potential as high-end, perhaps even star-caliber, producers in a role tailor-made for them.

A ranking methodology can gloss over talents where specific traits will never have a chance to meet the conventional standards of the position. Some players have a bandwidth of talent that is too narrow even for an evaluation system set up to answer the questions: “How many talents does a player have for the position and how deep is that overall talent?”

Users who are viewing this thread