What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Name Cuts - Who you give up on already? (1 Viewer)

Mavis

Footballguy
2 weeks into the season, some may be tired of players already. Seeing a lot of big names hit the wire in some of leagues. Curious who is cutting bait on certain names. Graham, Hyde and Fitz all names seen on the wire in my short bench leagues this morning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How big we talking?

Because Giants RB Paul Perkins was a popular ZeroRB play going as early as the 7th-8th round in 12-14 teamers... dude is droppable everywhere.

2 weeks into the season, some may be tired of players already. Seeing a lot of big names hit the wire in some of leagues. Curious who is cutting bait on certain names. Graham, Hyde and Fitz all names seen on the wire in my short bench leagues this morning. 
Hyde? #13 RB in standard, #12 RB in PPR.  WTF would he be cut?

Hyde? #13 RB in standard, #12 RB in PPR.  WTF would he be cut?
Idk, you know how some people get, all panicky. I have my claim in, thats for sure. Not the best owner who cut him guess that goes without saying. 

Idk, you know how some people get, all panicky. I have my claim in, thats for sure. Not the best owner who cut him guess that goes without saying. 
I wish someone would do that in the league where I lost DJ.  Hyde would sure as hell beat starting Chris Johnson.

Panicky about what? He's coming off of a 124 yards rushing day.
Who knows, needed another TE apparently. He has Hunt and CJ Anderson and Olsen, he coulda cut someone else, but its his team. However, good names got cut, seeing who else may have been cut out there.

Who knows, needed another TE apparently. He has Hunt and CJ Anderson and Olsen, he coulda cut someone else, but its his team. However, good names got cut, seeing who else may have been cut out there.
This makes no sense. I don't like saying this but you may want to find more competitive leagues.

someone cut fitz.  :shock:
Cut is an extreme reaction. That said, at some point the "bad game" or "don't worry he'll turn it around next week" fantasy advice becomes lazy analysis. Sometimes a situation is just bad and will stay bad until something material changes it.

Speaking of big, I cut Lacy. 

One week away from cutting Graham  
About to scoop Graham after someone just cut him...thats how it works, some trash is other peoples treasure. This is the time when peopel scoop those players off waivers who were drafted who become a factor later. 

If I could find anyone worth rostering on the wire I'd cut Bilal Powell in a NY minute...

Someone cut the KC defense in a 10 team league.  I've ridden Carolina's hot start the first two weeks but couldn't help but put a claim in for KC

Not sure if these count as big names(they were all mentioned so far), but I cut Perkins and Brandon Marshall last week, and am on the verge of cutting Powell.  Rawls is next in line, but still holding him for now(I also own Carson).

Jordan Howard

Cohen is so much more dynamic.
Cohen isn't the reason people should be nervous about Howard. He's injured and his upcoming schedule is brutal that's why people should be nervous.

Cohen definitely hurts Howard in the passing game (more-so than I would have predicted before the season started) but not enough to make one want to cut bait on Howard.  Cohen looks pretty limited in the running game as was pretty apparent last week.  If Howard is healthy he is still the primary option running the ball and still their only back who allows the Bears to open up the whole playbook.

But yeah as a Howard owner I am definitely very nervous about him. May sit him this week vs Pitt in favor of Hyde and Abdullah and I hate (hate! HATE!!!) even having to consider sitting my #1 RB in weak freaking three!

But, no, I won't cut Howard...yet.

I mean you have people dropping the number 12 rb with the highest usage in the league to waivers?
I guess sometimes things happen - but I don't see how that's possible. No one ever says "I have enough RB1/RB2 types on my roster so...."

If the guy desperately needed a TE I'm thinking he could have traded Hyde for some one better than who he is getting off of waivers.

Tempted to set Eifert on the curb, but thankfully I can just move Coleman to IR and put in a bid for Doyle (also have Witten.)

I'm not giving him away for free for someone else to scoop up, but that cost me a W last week. 

Lacy got cut in my league last week and he's still sitting there. Three other Seattle RBs is rostered.

As to this topic - I do not plan on putting in any waiver claims, but if anyone I like makes it through to the FCFS period I will drop Eddie Lacy. I have lost my faith in him and would rather grab a lottery ticket.

I'm tempted to cut blount but I want to see if he is still going to be completely uninvolved in week 3 first.  

The fact that philly went away from him and lost might make them rethink giving him no meaningful carries s a viable strategy. 

I cut Gore before Sunday games for Andre Ellington who I then cut for Chris Thompson. I have CJA, Hunt, Abdullah, Carson, J Rodgers, Duke Johnson, and Thompson now. I just kept looking at Gore and saying to myself:

Even if he has his best outcome in a given week (which is basically what week 2 was for him), I will never have the confidence to start him week to week unless I'm desperate.

Ended up being a pretty good gamble for me I think.

If you're dropping anyone you drafted in the top 10 rounds before 4 weeks of the season are over, you're a fish.  Lol @ dropping Graham already. You play with trash.

Graham. 

If you're dropping anyone you drafted in the top 10 rounds before 4 weeks of the season are over, you're a fish.  Lol @ dropping Graham already. You play with trash.
If you keep anyone on your roster who has no chance of helping your team, you are a fish.

You guys need to list the size of the leagues and the format when you post cuts. I'm WTF'ing at some of the listed cuts...

If you keep anyone on your roster who has no chance of helping your team, you are a fish.
Note the term "no chance"... to say Jimmy Graham has no chance of helping your team in the coming weeks is... wow. What kind of help do you need?

You guys need to list the size of the leagues and the format when you post cuts. I'm WTF'ing at some of the listed cuts...

Note the term "no chance"... to say Jimmy Graham has no chance of helping your team in the coming weeks is... wow. What kind of help do you need?
Didn't say anything about Jimmy Graham.  Lacy has been mentioned plenty of times in this thread, was taken in the top 10 rounds and is unlikely at this point to be of any use to anyone.  Saying that people are fish or play with trash because they might make this choice is less than being excellent.

Quit any league where someone dropped Carlos Hyde. Why waste your time?  Either you're beating up on idiots, or losing to idiots.

I may ditch Britt this week, but will probably hold for one more to see if he steps up with Coleman gone.  He has looked like he DGAF out there.

Other than that, I haven't canned anyone big.  Dropped or dropping Jamaal Williams in a couple places after Montgomery exceeded my expectations.  The biggest drop I've seen so far was someone letting Sproles go for Buck Allen after week 1.

By that criteria, most of the free agent pool qualifies. As for Graham, you could argue that he looks no better or worse than any number of waiver wire TEs who could catch a TD pass in any given game. What is it about SEA's passing game that's going to get fixed and make Graham a top 5 TE?

By that criteria, most of the free agent pool qualifies. As for Graham, you could argue that he looks no better or worse than any number of waiver wire TEs who could catch a TD pass in any given game. What is it about SEA's passing game that's going to get fixed and make Graham a top 5 TE?
I'd think you'd explore a trade first before you cut a guy like Jimmy Graham especially if he's healthy. Of course, he's not right now with the ankle tweak but still, depending on the league size you try to get some value for him back.

I mean you have people dropping the number 12 rb with the highest usage in the league to waivers?
He is RB 18 in the 10 team, 15 roster spot TD heavy league. Jalen Richard has more points. On a team whose RBs are Hunt, Anderson Gillislee and Hyde. Not a good owner but sure drafted well. He has Gronk so he may scoop a TE, dont know as waivers have not ran. Could be a strategy to get someone to waste a waiver claim. 

This is the problem with taking your approach of how do good players end up on waivers, sometimes injuries happen and people dont trade.

Wilson, Cooper, DThomas, Parker, Hunt, Anderson, Gronk K, D which you have to keep rostered at all times. 9 starters, his 6 other roster spots are Hyde, Gillislee, D Mart, Marvin Jones, Djax, Rivers.

He cut Hyde already, I would Presume he will scoop a TE. Just my guess, but who would you cut? Sheesh man, leagues have dynamics. Seems it is a very competitive league if an owner was able to hit on some of those picks. Didnt want to get into talking about someone elses team in my league, but more about what good players got cut.

Paul Perkins: worst 7th round bust ever. :wall:

i coulda had Rivers or Stafford but I stacked up on RBs and continued my freefall. Now I'm praying for a Bradford return while claiming Semien - words I never thought I'd have to type. 

Thanks Perkins, ya piece of crap. 

Only drop in my main league that I can see someone claiming off waivers this week is Doyle.....mostly because of injuries to TEs.  

Probably?
Yea dude... probably-- dropped him for Tarik Cohen who is my RB5 after Elliot, Montgomery, Hunt, & Gillislie.

My other TE is evan Engram who I didnt want to drop after seeing him in game action while Henry watched MNF from the bench. 

Sure. I think the obvious question, though, is have we seen enough football to make that determination yet? I mean, if you drafted a player, presumably you saw something in him that lead you to believe he'd help you win games. Barring injury (obviously), is 1-2 games enough to change your opinion from "he can help my team" to "no chance he helps my team"? 

He'll sure show them.
If he wants #1 ww claim and he needs to cut someone with the roster I showed of his above, maybe. Seems people think Hyde is an oober stud all of a sudden, but alright. Guess this is what I get for sharing what players have been cut in my league.

Tricking people into picking up great players off the waiver wire = Shark Move 2017
So Hyde is a great player? Ok

He is a guy who is often injured on a very bad team who has trailed most the season and whose team has not scored a TD yet. Perspective, lets not get over dramatic on Hyde here. With the roster above I could understand the cut depending on who he scoops. 

Users who are viewing this thread