What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo: Broadcaster (3 Viewers)

I think he's done a great job as a broadcaster so far. With that being said--I thought he was pretty damn good football player too.  Sure--he had some negative memorable moments--but sometimes I think people forget how good a qb he was.  

Only color analyst I felt added anything to the broadcast was Collinsworth.  Listened to Romo this past week and was super-impressed.  Always knew Simms was a moron (and a blowhard to boot), so was not surprised that Romo was superior to Simms.  Was surprised that Romo is already on Collinsworth's level.

I like his enthusiasm and - though Esiason & others are saying he's breaking an established broadcasting code by doing so - enjoy his jumping plays & audibles

Only color analyst I felt added anything to the broadcast was Collinsworth.  Listened to Romo this past week and was super-impressed.  Always knew Simms was a moron (and a blowhard to boot), so was not surprised that Romo was superior to Simms.  Was surprised that Romo is already on Collinsworth's level.
To each his own I guess but Collinsworth annoys the crap out of me.  Romo did well..nice to hear a fresh voice.

I do like the analysis and play calling, but I will say he often cuts Nantz off to do so and they end up talking over each other a little bit which is kinda awkward to me.  But yes he is light years better than Simms.

The guy knows football.  Carried the Cowboys on his back when the OL was no good and was reading/seeing defenses better than anyone just before the injuries caught up with him.  Not surprised at all people are liking him as a broadcaster.

facook said:
I do like the analysis and play calling, but I will say he often cuts Nantz off to do so and they end up talking over each other a little bit which is kinda awkward to me.  But yes he is light years better than Simms.
Rookie mistakes...Nantz will get that corrected for sure. Romo jumps in and talks too fast right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
wikkidpissah said:
I like his enthusiasm and - though Esiason & others are saying he's breaking an established broadcasting code by doing so - enjoy his jumping plays & audibles
I hadn't seen this.  Did Esiason say why this was ever an unwritten color guy law?  It seems like it enhances the game by tons.  

#### move by Boomer.  

wikkidpissah said:
:lmao:  what a dork. He sounds bitter because romo is also a better broadcaster. 

I hadn't seen this.  Did Esiason say why this was ever an unwritten color guy law?  It seems like it enhances the game by tons.  

#### move by Boomer.  
no, he was pretty reasonable about it. he said it was just fb broadcast tradition not to predict plays, that he, Simms and any number of guys (esp recently retired signalcallers) could have jumped calls & audibles all these years but it was general policy to let the play unfold and explain it afterward. he wasnt against doing it in any way, he just didnt like that those who embrace it now (including me, tho i could see getting a little sick of it) seem to think Romo invented the wheel or sumn.

no, he was pretty reasonable about it. he said it was just fb broadcast tradition not to predict plays, that he, Simms and any number of guys (esp recently retired signalcallers) could have jumped calls & audibles all these years but it was general policy to let the play unfold and explain it afterward. he wasnt against doing it in any way, he just didnt like that those who embrace it now (including me, tho i could see getting a little sick of it) seem to think Romo invented the wheel or sumn.
I can imagine that any of those qbs (especially) could do the same.  Guess it's time.  

I think the new gambling business model goes to "next play calling" real-time gambling.  

I'd like the jump call more if he explained why he made the call that he did. He got asked and basically said "cause I was in the league a long time" which is a cop out answer. If he explained his read it would be more interesting. I bet any number of the announcers could jump the calls. I like it, but it might get old unless he starts explaining why/how he made the call. I'd certainly appreciate that a lot more than hearing yet another announcer explain the replay process or how a catch needs to be controlled all the way through.

I'd like the jump call more if he explained why he made the call that he did. He got asked and basically said "cause I was in the league a long time" which is a cop out answer. If he explained his read it would be more interesting. I bet any number of the announcers could jump the calls. I like it, but it might get old unless he starts explaining why/how he made the call. I'd certainly appreciate that a lot more than hearing yet another announcer explain the replay process or how a catch needs to be controlled all the way through.
He's said a bunch of times "the safety is cheating" or whatever. I feel like he always explains it. 

He's said a bunch of times "the safety is cheating" or whatever. I feel like he always explains it. 
I don't like it. There's too much talking in sports broadcasting to start. I just want to watch the frigging game. Now I'm going to start hearing more people do it. What's next? Fantasy football will start to include a color commentator position giving points on correctly anticipated plays.

To be fair, I haven't watched a lot of his games, so maybe I missed it. Then again, I try like hell to filter out what they are babbling on about so maybe I just missed it.

I watched the game on the NFL Network yesterday.  Romo talks too fast and talks too much.  Then when Nance speaks it sounds like he is in slow motion.  Romo might be OK eventually but he needs to take a breath, slow down and know when to jump in.

I don't like it. There's too much talking in sports broadcasting to start. I just want to watch the frigging game. Now I'm going to start hearing more people do it. What's next? Fantasy football will start to include a color commentator position giving points on correctly anticipated plays.
They should invent a button that turns off the sound. That would be pretty cool. Then you could just watch the friggin game. 

Romo is doing a good job so far.  He has some flaws as mentioned by previous posters but he is new at this.  I expect him to get better. 

To each his own I guess but Collinsworth annoys the crap out of me.  Romo did well..nice to hear a fresh voice.
Can't he be both annoying and informative?  Asking because I like his insights, but I do find him a little annoying.  Although I find almost every duo seems to have one guy that sucks on some level.  And what is with Aikman's eye always being bloodshot.  Looks like he has a permanent case of pink eye or that he's up until 4AM the night before  smokin' up.

for all the talk of how he was some play calling savant last week, and the week before, he's batting about .111 today

for all the talk of how he was some play calling savant last week, and the week before, he's batting about .111 today
yeah, this all went Uncertainty Principle rrrrEAL quick. Nantzy was so passive-aggressive today in his attempts to control the goonburger who instantly became more famous than him and regain his voice-of-CBS primacy that he completely lost control of Romo. great broadcasting. Jim...

he was smooth, enthusiastic and didn't stumble but he really only had one or two moments of "huh, i did not know that" all day.

after the first 2 weeks of everyone creaming their pants about him i was expecting him to school the fans a lot more on coverages, tendencies, etc. 

he was basically captain obvious all day with some sound effects

Users who are viewing this thread