[icon]

HELP PLZ : A week In San Francisco with the GF

136 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Seconded for Burma Superstar and La Taqueria.

Thirded for La Taq. 

Burma Superstar opened a spinoff called Burma Love in the Inner Mission that will save you a trip out to the avenues.   I don't get the hype for either but I've only ever been to one other Burmese place for comparative purposes.

 

ETA:  Burma Love is across the street from Zeitgeist which is a proper dive with a beer garden. 

It's also a couple of blocks from the Armory Club which is affiliated with the bondage film company kink.com.  The Armory Club has good cocktails but the main attraction is the talent who visit the bar after shooting in the kink studios across the street.  It's a weird vibe but it's unique.

Edited by Eephus
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Looking into Sausalito ferry setup. Looks great. Not bad at $25 round trip. What are some good lunch or dinner spots or bars in Sausalito? I saw something about Trident having a nice patio but being overpriced. I'm assuming this spot is best enjoyed in an afternoon vs Evening? 

Does chilly Nov weather take some of the shine off the ferry ride and patio dining/drinking? Or no? 

Thx! 

November is cool. SF that time of year is cool (50ish) during the day and chilly (40ish) at night, so you always need to move around with a layer at the ready. It's also the rainy season, so you might get that too.

if it's rainy, it's usually windy, so the ferry becomes less of a fun ride (not good to sit outside and decent swell/chop). if it's not raining, it should be great.

I'm really out of the loop for places in Sausalito. but IIRC, there's a newish (could be 20+ years old... caveat) hotel right on the water right next to the ferry dock- they might have nice drinks and/or dinner there (I've never been). IIRC, the Alta Mira hotel moved into digs on Bridgeway and has a decent restaurant (no view). Trident is an old-school tourist favorite on a pier over the water looking out at SF- I"ve never been, but hard to beat location-wise.  I can tell you that in the opposite direction, but still walking distance, is one of the better sushi restaurants in the SF area- Sushi Ran on Caledonia street (again- caveat- I think it's still there). go to Smitty's bar down the street afterwards. say hi to Stego.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eephus said:

Thirded for La Taq. 

Burma Superstar opened a spinoff called Burma Love in the Inner Mission that will save you a trip out to the avenues.   I don't get the hype for either but I've only ever been to one other Burmese place for comparative purposes.

Go watch Brandon Belt swing at another 57' curveball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Lot's of great suggestions in here.  I'll second the Ferry Building on Sat morning, Buena Vista, and R&G Lounge as highlights. 

I'll also through out La Fusion in the Financial District. I have some co-workers obsessed with Li Po for cocktails, but I have never been. Hong Kong Lounge is the best dim sum I have had in the US.

Fun city, hopefully will get a trip out there later this year.

Li Po is a dive bar in Chinatown.  Proper dives are becoming a rarity in this overpriced city.  If you happen to be in Chinatown and in need of libations, I would flip a coin between Li Po and Mr. Bing's.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Go watch Brandon Belt swing at another 57' curveball.

The Giraffe is approaching NFL levels of brain damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

Do they still have that place with the "famous" $9 coffee cocktails? Hated the touristy aspect of it but those coffees were no joke.

Starbucks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scoresman said:

The Irish Coffee at The Buena Vista maybe?  I think that's near Fisherman's Wharf.  

My wife's family loves this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scoresman said:

The Irish Coffee at The Buena Vista maybe?  I think that's near Fisherman's Wharf.  

Could be. I think I had 3 and I was feeling GREAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Buena Vista claims to have invented Irish coffee.  This is disputable since some drunk probably thought of adding booze to coffee a long time before.

It's a popular place, especially among tourists and it has a great location right across from the cable car turnaround.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Li Po is a dive bar in Chinatown.  Proper dives are becoming a rarity in this overpriced city.  If you happen to be in Chinatown and in need of libations, I would flip a coin between Li Po and Mr. Bing's.

there were two spots near where I lived in the outer haight (inner sunset). I'm going to butcher then name... Persian Zam Zam right on Haight and... dammit... on Irving around 6th street- it had LOTS of clown decoration- mostly paintings and drawings. creepy, not happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

there were two spots near where I lived in the outer haight (inner sunset). I'm going to butcher then name... Persian Zam Zam right on Haight and... dammit... on Irving around 6th street- it had LOTS of clown decoration- mostly paintings and drawings. creepy, not happy.

Zam Zam is still there although Bruno died around the turn of the century.  @JZilla and I cornholed there earlier this year (our women were also present).

The clown bar was called The Embers.  It's long gone.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading out to 16th & Capp Street in the Mission is a good time, 20 years ago that is where the non-adams apple street hookers used to hang out. There is a very long time poster on this board that may have really enjoyed one particular girl that worked that corner. He used to take her to Burger King after their "date". I remember when I first moved out to SF, I lived in Nob Hill and didn't have a good place to park my car so I would let this poster just use mine during the week and I would take it on the weekends. The hell of a guy left a used condom in the center console for me to find one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Could be. I think I had 3 and I was feeling GREAT.

They don't skimp on the whiskey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snickers said:

Heading out to 16th & Capp Street in the Mission is a good time, 20 years ago that is where the non-adams apple street hookers used to hang out. There is a very long time poster on this board that may have really enjoyed one particular girl that worked that corner. He used to take her to Burger King after their "date". I remember when I first moved out to SF, I lived in Nob Hill and didn't have a good place to park my car so I would let this poster just use mine during the week and I would take it on the weekends. The hell of a guy left a used condom in the center console for me to find one day.

The Mission has really been cleaned up in the past 20 years.  There are still pockets of seediness including 16th and Capp.  The Uptown is still a dive and there's a bunch of homeless encampments around 17th and Shotwell.

But Mission St. from 18th to 26th and all of Valencia St. are pretty gentrified now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Li Po is a dive bar in Chinatown.  Proper dives are becoming a rarity in this overpriced city.  If you happen to be in Chinatown and in need of libations, I would flip a coin between Li Po and Mr. Bing's.

had a blast at the High Tide in the Tenderloin last time i was in SF. 

a true "dive" in the sense: 

- jukebox w/ Iron Maiden
- cheap(ish) beers
- oil painting of a topless woman above the bar ("That's my mom" ~ Asian bartenderette, dead serious)
- bartenderettes who will play 1/4/24 with you at the bar for Jager shots (confirmed: they will drink if they lose)
- ping pong table in back for Beer Pong
- i would hesitate to call the place "clean" 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some fantastic stuff in here guys. I'm going to compile the suggestions by neighborhood and update the first post at some point, so this thread can serve as a reference. :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slapdash said:

Hong Kong Lounge is the best dim sum I have had in the US.

Looks like two locations in Laurel Heights and Inner Richmond.... any strong bias here? 

What would be the best Dim Sum in Chinatown area? 

Thx! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Looks like two locations in Laurel Heights and Inner Richmond.... any strong bias here? 

What would be the best Dim Sum in Chinatown area? 

Thx! 

We've enjoyed Lai Hong Lounge but you have to order off a menu rather than carts.  City View always has a line which is a good sign when it comes to Dim Sum.  Yank Sing is also very good but more pricey than the typical place.

It's probably true that the best Dim Sum is in the Richmond district or south of the City but I don't think the difference warrants an extra trip, especially if you don't have a vehicle.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, [icon] said:

Brunch in Sausalito is very temping.... guessing that's a $30-40 uber fare in weekend traffic? 

As others mentioned, take the ferry to Sausalito.  Bar Bocce is a cool spot.  Get brunch or a drink and an appetizer at any of the places right on the water  like Trident, Scomas, Salitos, Spinnaker, Barrell House - all are a little overpriced for decent food, but great views.

Best place to check out in Sausalito is basically under the GG Bridge, Cavallo Point.  But you'd need to either be in a car or on bikes to get there, it's not really in town.  But great spot to go with the lady

Alternative would be to take the ferry to Tiburon and get some drinks on the deck at Sam's Anchor Cafe.  My favorite day when I lived in The City was Sam's followed by Irish Coffees at Buena Vista.

 

4 hours ago, Scoresman said:

The Irish Coffee at The Buena Vista maybe?  I think that's near Fisherman's Wharf.  

:thumbup:.  Still go there a few times a year.  

 

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Zam Zam is still there although Bruno died around the turn of the century.  @JZilla and I cornholed there earlier this year (our women were also present).

The clown bar was called The Embers.  It's long gone.

Was he the martini nazi?

Edited by SFBayDuck
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much Eephus (and everyone else who's taking the time to respond) :thumbup:

I really do love this forum .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Was he the martini nazi?

Bruno would 86 patrons for ordering a vodka martini or a dozen other minor offenses.  He was polite about it; he'd simply tell people that there was a nice bar down the street (The Achilles Heel) that would serve you that.

Some people said he was racist and he might well have been.  But he was always very nice to Mrs. Eephus.  I think he judged people on how they behaved rather than how they looked.  His family owned the building so he had the ability to run his bar however he liked.   The skyrocketing rents in the City make that pretty much impossible these days.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hrm....
$18 for 2 to take BART from SFO to Powell St, then either drop another $6-8 on Uber for the last half mile, or hoof it with luggage in tow on mid-day city streets.

OR

$28-32 for Uber Pool / Uber X from the Airport to our hotel door.

Easiest $10 spent ever. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, [icon] said:

Hrm....
$18 for 2 to take BART from SFO to Powell St, then either drop another $6-8 on Uber for the last half mile, or hoof it with luggage in tow on mid-day city streets.

OR

$28-32 for Uber Pool / Uber X from the Airport to our hotel door.

Easiest $10 spent ever. 

 

Definitely Uber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Hrm....
$18 for 2 to take BART from SFO to Powell St, then either drop another $6-8 on Uber for the last half mile, or hoof it with luggage in tow on mid-day city streets.

OR

$28-32 for Uber Pool / Uber X from the Airport to our hotel door.

Easiest $10 spent ever. 

 

We took BART to Powell and walked to the Union Station Hilton for Memorial Day weekend. Super easy.

We also bought the 2 day City pass for all the touristy stuff. Hop on/off tour bus fare is included so it's good for your GF if she wants to explore while you work.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, [icon] said:

I enjoy beer, but diving too deep into beer nerddom would be pretty much lost on me. That said, the place looks cool and may drop in with a coworker. Thanks! 

It's heavy on Belgian beers, which I'm not a huge fan of, but the food is solid and I dig the atmosphere.  Would recommend highly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May be frowned upon in this crowd, but Beach Blanket Babylon is a fun SF-themed musical.  I've been a couple times and it's always fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dickies said:

May be frowned upon in this crowd

You got that right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, [icon] said:

Booked the 4:50 (last one) Behind the Scenes & Night Tour (included) on Thursday night. :thumbup: 

this is so much fun.  You should have dinner at either Luna Blue or Trident.  Sam's and Bar Bocce are usually busy if the weather is good.  will respond to some of the other questions individually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scoresman said:

Restaurants in SF my wife and I love. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

House of Prime Rib - Prime Rib is the only thing on the menu and it's excellent.

Burma Superstar - Burmese food.  The tea leaf salad is a must try.

These two places are fantastic.  If you do house of prime rib, make sure that you have a reservation.  There will be a two hour wait on the weekend.  Also, go to Tony's in northbeach for meatballs and slice.  Very good pizza.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned, Muir Woods is great. Probably my favorite spot.

If you do take Conzelman Rd. up to the Golden Gate Vista area, check out the Fort Baker area. There are a bunch of 19th century concrete battery's up there with killer views. I had a blast hiking around there. Traffic was dicey for a while, but it was worth it after we got up there and parked. Sunset is a must, then cruise down the other other side on Conzelman Rd and look for the Black Sands Beach. 

Sonoma is about 1 hour and a half from the city, and can be a fun day of hitting the tasting rooms.

Philz Coffee

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@[icon]  where are you from?

I think it matters a lot when it comes to food recommendations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [icon] said:

Looks like two locations in Laurel Heights and Inner Richmond.... any strong bias here? 

What would be the best Dim Sum in Chinatown area? 

Thx! 

Delicious Dim Sum is a dive but good, Lai Hong Lounge is good too.    

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eephus said:

@[icon]  where are you from?

I think it matters a lot when it comes to food recommendations. 

memphis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sbonomo said:

memphis. 

OK, I won't suggest any BBQ or chicken joints.

1 minute ago, sbonomo said:

Delicious Dim Sum is a dive but good, Lai Hong Lounge is good too.    

Is Delicious a counter service place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, [icon] said:

Hrm....
$18 for 2 to take BART from SFO to Powell St, then either drop another $6-8 on Uber for the last half mile, or hoof it with luggage in tow on mid-day city streets.

OR

$28-32 for Uber Pool / Uber X from the Airport to our hotel door.

Easiest $10 spent ever. 

 

Bart is right outside of the international terminal.  Super easy to take, and sometimes faster, than uber.  The walk is not too bad (i think that is flat).  Don't waste the money on uber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eephus said:

OK, I won't suggest any BBQ or chicken joints.

Is Delicious a counter service place?

They have a small seating area.  I would always get takeout and eat back at the office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sbonomo said:

Bart is right outside of the international terminal.  Super easy to take, and sometimes faster, than uber.  The walk is not too bad (i think that is flat).  Don't waste the money on uber. 

The $10 is well worth avoiding the smelly, disgusting Bart cars, and that's assuming you aren't stuck in one during commute hours or one with the heater stuck in the on position.  Bart is ####### awful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eephus said:

Bruno would 86 patrons for ordering a vodka martini or a dozen other minor offenses.  He was polite about it; he'd simply tell people that there was a nice bar down the street (The Achilles Heel) that would serve you that.

Some people said he was racist and he might well have been.  But he was always very nice to Mrs. Eephus.  I think he judged people on how they behaved rather than how they looked.  His family owned the building so he had the ability to run his bar however he liked.   The skyrocketing rents in the City make that pretty much impossible these days.

lol... I could never remember if it was a gin or vodka martini he favored. got booted out of there half the time.

but damn it was a good martini.

also liked that he'd open when he wanted and close when he wanted. saturday night at 9 and he's not in the mood- closed.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.