What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith - interesting thought (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
I have the displeasure of owning Russell Wilson this season. And to compound things I didn't even draft a competent backup qb. 

After 2 weeks of gawd awful suckage, I decided that Wilson hits my bench until I actually see him finally break out.  So to the waiver wire I went. 

I ended up choosing smith over semian.  For one smith's matchup vs the chargers with no verrett is better than semian's this week.  

But the interesting thought I had is that smith is in a Drew Brees chargers type situation this year (like the year that the chargers drafted rivers).  Chiefs drafted mahomes.  Smith candidly said he was upset by the pick and knows this is likely his last year as a chief. 

I think he's playing this year not just for a sb but he's auditioning for  the rest of his career.   He's tired of being called a weak armed game manager.  He knows that he has to erase that stigma if he is going to get the job he wants next year. I have a sneaky feeling that this is the year where Smith put it all together and really does finish as a top 10 qb.  If not higher. He's got the weapon and he's clearly showing the Moxie to throw the ball down field this season.

what do you guys think? He's on a lot of waiver wires right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smiths playoff matchups are juicy and all at home.  Siemian not bad as well.  Just feels like Siemian as further to regress (Denver D better, no way he is throwing TD's at this rate).

I have the displeasure of owning Russell Wilson this season. And to compound things I didn't even draft a competent backup qb. 

After 2 weeks of gawd awful suckage, I decided that Wilson hits my bench until I actually see him finally break out.  So to the waiver wire I went. 

I ended up choosing smith over semian.  For one smith's matchup vs the chargers with no verrett is better than semian's this week.  

But the interesting thought I had is that smith is in a Drew Brees chargers type situation this year (like the year that the chargers drafted rivers).  Chiefs drafted mahomes.  Smith candidly said he was upset by the pick and knows this is likely his last year as a chief. 

I think he's playing this year not just for a sb but he's auditioning for  the rest of his career.   He's tired of being called a weak armed game manager.  He knows that he has to erase that stigma if he is going to get the job he wants next year. I have a sneaky feeling that this is the year where Smith put it all together and really does finish as a top 10 qb.  If not higher. He's got the weapon and he's clearly showing the Moxie to throw the ball down field this season.

I mentioned this right before the season started.  I have a feeling he has a monster season and so far he's proving the gut feeling I had to be right.  I'm with you on this one.

Alex Smith is much older than Brees was when he left the Chargers

But the interesting thought I had is that smith is in a Drew Brees chargers type situation this year (like the year that the chargers drafted rivers).  Chiefs drafted mahomes.
I think this is interesting from the dynasty POV. As was pointed out Al is older than Brees when he left SD but that game against the Pats and a couple others in the books always made me wonder what he could have done with an offensive coach who would design an offense around his passing. I don't know if that will happen, it's too late maybe, but Smith may likely be moving on next year so maybe he will get that chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hunch was enough to take a shot on him as my qb2.  I could be dead wrong and he could spend the rest of the year just being the Alex smith we know.  I might kick myself for not grabbing semian, who was grabbed off waivers shortly after I took smith.  

But I like to go with my hunches and live and die by them.  Putting $ qherey mouth is this week and playing smith @ chargers over Wilson @ tenn.  

and yes his schedule thisn year, esp in the playoffs seems juicy.  

After 2 games he's on pace for 4800 yds and I think 40 tds. 

Even if that regresses to 4500 yards and 32 or 33 tds and he sprinkles in 300 rushing yards were looking at a top 7 qb easily.  It's possible.  Maybe not probable.  But I see the scenario for how this can happen given the circumstances.  

Users who are viewing this thread