What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Geronimo Allison WR (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
Surprised there was no thread on him yet. What are our thoughts on him long term? I know short-term right now he looks like he could see some decent playing time if Jordy and/or Cobb are out for any amount of time.

But is there more there than just bye week and injury fill ins? Does he have a chance to be a starting WR down the line when Jordy/Adams move on?

I'm only familiar with his end of year stretch last year when he seemed to do ok

I think he looks pretty good.  Has decent size and speed and passes the eye test so far. Dynasty stash for sure.  Ted Thompson is probably too smart to resign Davante Adams for big money, Adams is not good... Adams contract is done after this year and both Nelson and Cobb are only signed thru 2018.  They are also both around 8 or 9 million.  Allison also beat out every other WR prospect in Green Bay, and for a while there, their stable of WRs was enviable.  I need to watch more of him to get a better idea of his skills. 

Nelson and Cobb both make 8 figures next season. no way GB brings them both back under those salaries. Mostly because Matthews makes a ton and Rodgers needs a new deal.

Cobb is still young (27) so I imagine they extend him. they could extend Nelson too just to improve his cap number. 

Adams is a FA after this season. He's gone unless he doesn't want to chase big money. 

Allison will likely fall into Adams role next season. 

long term Allison isn't a wr1. but he could be a good wr2 someday for GB

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobb makes 12 mil this season, Nelson 11.5... next year they both make more
 You are looking at cap hit, not cash outlay.  Cobb's contract pays him up to $9.5M next year.  The amount you reference includes the amortization of his signing bonus, which was paid 3 years ago.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/19224/breaking-down-randall-cobbs-new-contract

Either way, $9.5M is a lot to pay him, and he could easily be "extended" at a cheaper annual cost IMO.

Nelson and Cobb both make 8 figures next season. no way GB brings them both back under those salaries. Mostly because Matthews makes a ton and Rodgers needs a new deal.

Cobb is still young (27) so I imagine they extend him. they could extend Nelson too just to improve his cap number. 

Adams is a FA after this season. He's gone unless he doesn't want to chase big money. 

Allison will likely fall into Adams role next season. 

long term Allison isn't a wr1. but he could be a good wr2 someday for GB
Didn't know Adams contract was up next year. Him leaving is ideal scenario and IMO bumps Allison up to WR2 with great upside. 

Adams has bricks at the end of his arms.  I am thinking being lucky enough to play with Rodgers will inflate his price to more than he is worth.  Thompson does like signing his own players back though so there is certainly a chance Adams is back.  Allison probably isn't a WR1 type in real life but playing as Rodgers' WR2 is better than being the primary target on most teams. 

kittenmittens said:
Adams has bricks at the end of his arms.  I am thinking being lucky enough to play with Rodgers will inflate his price to more than he is worth.  Thompson does like signing his own players back though so there is certainly a chance Adams is back.  Allison probably isn't a WR1 type in real life but playing as Rodgers' WR2 is better than being the primary target on most teams. 
But TT only likes his players back at his price and if they prove their worth. See Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Jarod Cook

But TT only likes his players back at his price and if they prove their worth. See Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Jarod Cook
Agreed.  I think if Adams puts up good numbers again, and he likely will playing with Rodgers, his agent will be able to do better than GB. 

I have $59 left in my FAAB budget. Thinking about spending it all on a bid for Allison.
That has to be one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen. There is a chance that he will only be playable this week. Plus don't forget last week most of his numbers came as a result of playing in overtime.

For keeper/dynasty purposes, I think the contract info posted by others is really useful, but I do think it needs some context.  Of all the teams in the league, it seems like Green Bay has the most vested interest in investing in receivers, and I feel like Rodgers has a voice in that process - I have nothing to prove that point, just my opinion.  With that in mind, I would have a hard time seeing two of Jordy, Cobb and Adams leaving in the same offseason.

I do think for dynasty/keeper folks, though, it's worth noting that Allison is in his second season with the Packers and was cut and resigned in the past offseason.  Therefore he is a ERFA, meaning that for the next two years, the Packers can offer him one-year minimum salary contracts that he has no choice but to accept.  Thus, you have a pretty nice guarantee he's paired with Rodgers at least through 2019, barring trade.

I think it's a smart move to pick him up. I can easily see one of the Packers WRs going down this season.....

And to be honest, looking at the landscape of the NFL, there doesn't seem to be many receiving studs sitting on the bench for some team waiting for their chance, especially with a QB like Rodgers.

I have Allison in a couple dynasty leagues where I'm rebuilding.  I'd love to see this pan out, but I'm not holding my breath.  The Packers feel like a team in a prime spot to draft a WR for Rodgers.  They did that with Adams a few years ago, and since then have only thrown late round picks and/or UDFAs at the problem (cause they had Jordy and Cobb).  IMO they likely keep Jordy and Cobb with reasonable extensions, and spend some draft capital on a guy next year.

Allison isn't a great athlete (ran a 4.67 at the combine; had a 7.40 3-cone; posted some pretty poor jumps for a dude his size - 33" Vertical and only 127" Broad - though the latter is better than that vertical).  Maybe it works out, and he does seem to be the guy that's risen above everyone else they've thrown at the position, but I'd expect a WR drafted next year or signed in FA (though the latter really isn't TT's MO).

I have Allison in a couple dynasty leagues where I'm rebuilding.  I'd love to see this pan out, but I'm not holding my breath.  The Packers feel like a team in a prime spot to draft a WR for Rodgers.  They did that with Adams a few years ago, and since then have only thrown late round picks and/or UDFAs at the problem (cause they had Jordy and Cobb).  IMO they likely keep Jordy and Cobb with reasonable extensions, and spend some draft capital on a guy next year.

Allison isn't a great athlete (ran a 4.67 at the combine; had a 7.40 3-cone; posted some pretty poor jumps for a dude his size - 33" Vertical and only 127" Broad - though the latter is better than that vertical).  Maybe it works out, and he does seem to be the guy that's risen above everyone else they've thrown at the position, but I'd expect a WR drafted next year or signed in FA (though the latter really isn't TT's MO).
I could definitely see GB drafting a WR round 2 next year like they did with Jordy and Cobb. In fact, I think Ted's been itching for it. Since Jones and King seem to be working out great so far, and House looks pretty good... they may not need to go CB round 1/2 again. I think next year screams WR in the first 3 picks

Im holding in a 12x16 redraft. Probably has more upside than any WR5/WR6 around. Instantly goes to WR2/WR3 if any of the three miss time.

Cobb active, Jordy active, no chance he sees targets, right?

1. Suspended 

2. 5/3-24-0

3. 8/6-122-0

4. ?

Last year he had a few productive weeks when injuries hit late in the year. Intriguing lottery ticket at this point I guess.

Cobb active, Jordy active, no chance he sees targets, right?

1. Suspended 

2. 5/3-24-0

3. 8/6-122-0

4. ?

Last year he had a few productive weeks when injuries hit late in the year. Intriguing lottery ticket at this point I guess.
I'm holding in dynasty. I think he has proven he can produce if a top 3 WR goes down. He'll be a top waiver pick if that happens, so I'd rather just keep him at the bottom of my roster for now. 

According to ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky, Geronimo Allison is currently Green Bay's "de facto" No. 3 receiver.

We would agree. Allison is entering his third season and is the elder statesman of the group behind Davante Adams and Randall Cobb. Allison has flashed big skills at times his first two seasons but did little with Brett Hundley last year. He'll face competition from rookie draft picks J'Mon Moore, Equanimeous St. Brown, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling for snaps out wide.

Source: ESPN.com 

May 26 - 11:22 AM

Even if Cobb stays on the team, I think Allison is likely to get more snaps early. I don't think they trust Cobb's physical fitness at the moment.

Having a hard time placing him on my draft list, but just decided to move him ahead of Kenny Stills and behind Will Fuller.

Someone talk me into (or out of) this dude.
He seems to have some raport with Rodgers.

But by so many accounts is JAG.  I think its a only a matter of time that one of the rookies takes his spot.  And Graham is going to cut into this as well as I see more two TE sets with Graham outside and Lewis kept in to block.

He seems to have some raport with Rodgers.

But by so many accounts is JAG.  I think its a only a matter of time that one of the rookies takes his spot.  And Graham is going to cut into this as well as I see more two TE sets with Graham outside and Lewis kept in to block.
The only guys with a shot are one rookie or one outsider.  Marquez Valdes-Scantling or Jake Kumerow. 

And they may not get it done until next year, when Cobb is gone.  That just might allow Allison to keep on trucking.

Geronimo Allison caught 5-of-8 passes for 69 yards and a touchdown in Week 1 against Chicago.

Allison made some splash plays, with his highlight a 39-yard fourth quarter TD. He saw more targets than Jimmy Graham, who was held to two catches. Allison has a legitimate role in the Packers offense and hasn't faced much competition from Green Bay's trio of rookies. Allison needs to be added in leagues where he wasn't drafted.

Sep 10 - 12:43 AM

Gernonimo was in on 70% of the snaps and seemed to be on the same page with Rodgers, especially on that beautifully timed TD catch.

Analysis: Geronimo Allison emerging as genuine weapon for Packers

... third-year pro Geronimo Allison is not their No. 3 receiver by default. He’s beginning to blossom.

Receiver might be the second-toughest position for rookies and young players in the NFL, behind only quarterback. Compared to the college game, there’s so much more receivers have to learn as far as reading coverages, making adjustments and running precise routes. It’s even harder with a demanding veteran quarterback like Rodgers, who expects his receivers to see what his experienced eyes see.

But Allison is in his third season, and in the second half Sunday showed he has become a pro in that time.
I think he's got a good shot to turn into a solid WR 3 and could see an uptick since their always seem to be missed time with GB WRs.

How are folks here feeling about potentially starting Geronimo this week?  Absent making this an assistant coach topic, I'm curious if anyone has any input on Allison's matchup vs. the MIN defense.

I had a very tough call (IMO) this week on my WW deciding between Allison and Golladay.

Allison has a better QB (Stafford is no schlub though...but he sure can be at times) but I still think he is destined to be the #3 receiving option at best who will be relegated to the #4 option off-and-on this season by Jimmy Graham (I don't see Graham getting so little play all season).  I also am not thrilled with Rodgers being injured already (then again Stafford got pounded on Monday night too).

Allison played on 70% of Green Bay's snaps and had a 22% target share (19% Targets/Snap) but Golladay played on 93% of Detroit's snaps has a 23% target share (18% targets/snap).  That translated to 14 targets to Allison's 8, numbers that I expect to be volatile all season considering the weapons each is competing with.

I consider them to be very close to each other going forward but I opted for Golladay because he is a little taller, a little bigger and (if combine numbers are to be believed) definitely faster and quicker in space than Golladay.  To me that means he is more likely to salvage a weak fantasy outing with a big play than Allison.

Still it was a very tough call for me.

How are folks here feeling about potentially starting Geronimo this week?  Absent making this an assistant coach topic, I'm curious if anyone has any input on Allison's matchup vs. the MIN defense.
I would have to be pretty down on my team already to put Geronimo in this week.  I would just like to see a little bit more from this offense before pulling the trigger on him.

Adams is dealing with a shoulder injury, which could open up a few more targets for him.

but nothing is more relevant than ARod’s status. Once we know if he’s playing, you’ll know if Allison is worthy of consideration.

Unless Adams is out & A-A-Ron plays, I’d say he’s a lottery ticket Flex play or desperation WR3 (which usually isn’t the case this early in the season, but it does happen) 

Adams is dealing with a shoulder injury, which could open up a few more targets for him.

but nothing is more relevant than ARod’s status. Once we know if he’s playing, you’ll know if Allison is worthy of consideration.

Unless Adams is out & A-A-Ron plays, I’d say he’s a lottery ticket Flex play or desperation WR3 (which usually isn’t the case this early in the season, but it does happen) 
I should have been more descriptive in my question, as I'm looking at this from a question of Adams' availability.  Right on with getting a bigger sample size.

I like Allison...ended up picking him up this week seeing how he was involved and going forward I like him some.

But he is at the end of my bench behind Agholor and Crabtree (though, one of them starting now due to Baldwin injury)...and now someone dropped Goodwin and Allison has to go.

I should have been more descriptive in my question, as I'm looking at this from a question of Adams' availability.  Right on with getting a bigger sample size.
Adams is practicing I think - so now it’s all about Arod’s status & how desperate you are at WR3 or Flex.

I think there are likely far better options this week. 

Kid’s got a bright future, and maybe even this year with Cobb’s recurring ankle issues. 

At the moment he’s maybe 4th behind Adams, Cobb, Graham....and maybe even behind Ty Montgomery (who looked really good in limited usage) so I would be unlikely to start him in FFB. 

and now someone dropped Goodwin and Allison has to go.
Damn, I wish my league-mates were that overreactionary. Dude’s gonna miss a week (maybe) - he didn’t die. 

:doh:  

thats an immediate add/drop. Nice pulll! 

Adams is practicing I think - so now it’s all about Arod’s status & how desperate you are at WR3 or Flex.

I think there are likely far better options this week. 

Kid’s got a bright future, and maybe even this year with Cobb’s recurring ankle issues. 

At the moment he’s maybe 4th behind Adams, Cobb, Graham....and maybe even behind Ty Montgomery (who looked really good in limited usage) so I would be unlikely to start him in FFB. 
I agree that Graham is a threat to Allison's targets but I don't think you can say the same about Montgomery.  Graham and Allison profile similarly in what they are asked to do in the offense but Montgomery has a very different role.  They simply aren't competing for the same targets.  Typically Montgomery will be a check down/screen guy; Graham and Allison will be in the same space and Rodgers will have to decide who is more open.  Montgomery will either be the only option or the option of last resort.

I see the same thing in Detroit.  Jones and Golladay compete for the same targets, Riddick is asked to play an entirely different role.

I had a very tough call (IMO) this week on my WW deciding between Allison and Golladay.

Allison has a better QB (Stafford is no schlub though...but he sure can be at times) but I still think he is destined to be the #3 receiving option at best who will be relegated to the #4 option off-and-on this season by Jimmy Graham (I don't see Graham getting so little play all season).  I also am not thrilled with Rodgers being injured already (then again Stafford got pounded on Monday night too).

Allison played on 70% of Green Bay's snaps and had a 22% target share (19% Targets/Snap) but Golladay played on 93% of Detroit's snaps has a 23% target share (18% targets/snap).  That translated to 14 targets to Allison's 8, numbers that I expect to be volatile all season considering the weapons each is competing with.

I consider them to be very close to each other going forward but I opted for Golladay because he is a little taller, a little bigger and (if combine numbers are to be believed) definitely faster and quicker in space than Golladay.  To me that means he is more likely to salvage a weak fantasy outing with a big play than Allison.

Still it was a very tough call for me.
I think you made the right call. I see Golladay as a potential star in this league. Allison is more of a solid player who will need injuries to become extremely relevant. 

I agree that Graham is a threat to Allison's targets but I don't think you can say the same about Montgomery.  Graham and Allison profile similarly in what they are asked to do in the offense but Montgomery has a very different role.  They simply aren't competing for the same targets.  Typically Montgomery will be a check down/screen guy; Graham and Allison will be in the same space and Rodgers will have to decide who is more open.  Montgomery will either be the only option or the option of last resort.

I see the same thing in Detroit.  Jones and Golladay compete for the same targets, Riddick is asked to play an entirely different role.
I agree - didn’t mean to imply that they competed for the same targets - just that there are only so many passes to go around. It’s why I said “maybe even” on Ty.  It just depends on game-flow and offensive plan. 

My point was more about Allison being 4th in pecking order. And unlesss Adams is out (which it doesn’t sound like) IMO he’s not start-able.

And even if Adams is out, he’d be a flex play as I think he’d still be 3rd in line behind Cobb & Graham, though he would technically be a better target deep - i just wonder if they’d keep throwing deep as much as a game-plan if Adams was out.

I agree - didn’t mean to imply that they competed for the same targets - just that there are only so many passes to go around. It’s why I said “maybe even” on Ty.  It just depends on game-flow and offensive plan. 

My point was more about Allison being 4th in pecking order. And unlesss Adams is out (which it doesn’t sound like) IMO he’s not start-able.

And even if Adams is out, he’d be a flex play as I think he’d still be 3rd in line behind Cobb & Graham, though he would technically be a better target deep - i just wonder if they’d keep throwing deep as much as a game-plan if Adams was out.
Yeah it's a tough call for me between Graham and Allison as it relates to their spots in the pecking order.  Adams and Cobb seem entrenched as the #1 & #2 options, Adams probably finishes with more targets overall but I think they flip-flop from week-to-week and end the season with similar numbers (barring health of course). 

Before the season I thought Graham was the obvious #3 target with the upside to finish #1 or #2 a couple or three times this season.  After Sunday night I am not so sure, I don't like being reactionary in my decisions after week one so I still think Graham>Allison but maybe it takes Graham a little longer to acclimate to the offense and maybe he is just a tad slower/less athletic than the guy who was dominating everything way-back-when in New Orleans.  Allison is young, not particularly special athletically but good enough and he has been working with Rodgers (one of the most demanding QBs in the game) for three years now.

I can now see a situation where Graham and Allison are fighting for the #3 role and Allison coming out on top.

I drafted Graham as my safety net immediately after I rolled the dice on Josh Gordon as my #2 WR (at the 6/7 turn in my 12 team, super flex, ppr, WR/TE combined redraft).  I had him starting as my #2 flex (QB is always the #1 flex in this type of league) last week but after seeing what happened last Sunday night I am benching Graham in favor of Kenny Golladay (I may pivot to Tyler Lockett but probably not).

Yeah it's a tough call for me between Graham and Allison as it relates to their spots in the pecking order.  Adams and Cobb seem entrenched as the #1 & #2 options, Adams probably finishes with more targets overall but I think they flip-flop from week-to-week and end the season with similar numbers (barring health of course). 

Before the season I thought Graham was the obvious #3 target with the upside to finish #1 or #2 a couple or three times this season.  After Sunday night I am not so sure, I don't like being reactionary in my decisions after week one so I still think Graham>Allison but maybe it takes Graham a little longer to acclimate to the offense and maybe he is just a tad slower/less athletic than the guy who was dominating everything way-back-when in New Orleans.  Allison is young, not particularly special athletically but good enough and he has been working with Rodgers (one of the most demanding QBs in the game) for three years now.

I can now see a situation where Graham and Allison are fighting for the #3 role and Allison coming out on top.

I drafted Graham as my safety net immediately after I rolled the dice on Josh Gordon as my #2 WR (at the 6/7 turn in my 12 team, super flex, ppr, WR/TE combined redraft).  I had him starting as my #2 flex (QB is always the #1 flex in this type of league) last week but after seeing what happened last Sunday night I am benching Graham in favor of Kenny Golladay (I may pivot to Tyler Lockett but probably not).
Would be interesting to see how many 2 WR sets vs 3 WR sets the Packers run to help your evaluation.

If they run more 2-WR sets, it stands to reason that Graham is the safer floor just by being on the field for a higher stap count.

historicaly Rodgers has leaned on TEs, but as you hinted at, Graham may not be what he once was. Though I still struggle to figure that one out - he was awesome one day, then went to Seattle and was suddenly garbage the next? 

Acclimation could be a thing though, I agree.

to me it mostly comes down to who’s on the field more. If the Packers run a lot of 2-wise sets in attempt to bolster the run game & protect Rodgers balky knee, Graham becomes the obviously better play. 

If they’re playing up-tempo 3-wide it’s bumps Allison a little, but Graham would also be on the field then in theory.

Would be interesting to see how many 2 WR sets vs 3 WR sets the Packers run to help your evaluation.

If they run more 2-WR sets, it stands to reason that Graham is the safer floor just by being on the field for a higher stap count.

historicaly Rodgers has leaned on TEs, but as you hinted at, Graham may not be what he once was. Though I still struggle to figure that one out - he was awesome one day, then went to Seattle and was suddenly garbage the next? 

Acclimation could be a thing though, I agree.

to me it mostly comes down to who’s on the field more. If the Packers run a lot of 2-wise sets in attempt to bolster the run game & protect Rodgers balky knee, Graham becomes the obviously better play. 

If they’re playing up-tempo 3-wide it’s bumps Allison a little, but Graham would also be on the field then in theory.
According to the amazing utilization spreadsheet created and curated by @SameSongNDance Graham was in on 99% of Green Bay's snaps compared to 70% for Allison. Despite the utilization (and targets/snap) favoring Allison this week Graham was on the field for virtually every play and it's not like he's known as a great blocker. You gotta like that going forward.

According to the amazing utilization spreadsheet created and curated by @SameSongNDance Graham was in on 99% of Green Bay's snaps compared to 70% for Allison. Despite the utilization (and targets/snap) favoring Allison this week Graham was on the field for virtually every play and it's not like he's known as a great blocker. You gotta like that going forward.
That’s pretty much exactly what I would have expected to see - although this week was a weird game what with the ARod injury/missed time. 

Small sample size skewed by unforeseen circumstances. 

I believe both Rodgers and Adams DNP today.

ETA: I would call that a push for Allison but it's probably a loss. For Allison owners Rodgers+Adams playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kizer-Adams

Users who are viewing this thread