What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Ben Shapiro? (1 Viewer)

Gonna need to find some sponsors after his "baby Hitler" comments. 
Such a weird series of events. Goes on some tangent about how he wouldn’t abort baby Hitler, then starts reading an ad for a toothbrush brand (because this is both a speech and a live podcast episode), then the toothbrush brand drops him later that day. :lmao:  

In some other thread I remember Maurile describing Shapiro as “a dumb person’s idea of a smart person” and that remains one of the best descriptions of him I’ve seen.

Giving a speech to an anti-abortion rights crowd, he said he wouldn't kill baby hitler. Makes sense to me, he probably wouldn't kill adult hitler either.
Isn’t that a classical philosophical argument?  Would you kill baby Hitler?  

I think it’s okay for someone not to favor killing babies. I mean, someone may be wrong for not wanting to kill a specific baby in some particular situation, but if so, it seems like a pretty forgivable thing to be wrong about.

Isn’t that a classical philosophical argument?  Would you kill baby Hitler?  
Yes, it is.  It's a deontological/Kantian v. utilitarian ethics argument.  Oddly, Shapiro seems more in line with the latter than the former with most of his other positions. But, he certainly won't ever kill an unborn baby even if it's soon-to-be baby Hitler. 

Not intelluctally honest?  Please explain.
I’ve seen him argue against “feminist” ideas by taking the worst quotes from so called feminists and attributing them to all feminists. It’s not a good look. 

Maybe he only did it hat once (I don’t follow him really), but I doubt it. The article posted at the top of the page gives other examples. Mainly, it appears, by cherry-picking statistics/studies he likes and pretending statistics/studies he doesn’t like don’t exist. He shouldn’t do that. 

I’ve seen him argue against “feminist” ideas by taking the worst quotes from so called feminists and attributing them to all feminists. It’s not a good look. 

Maybe he only did it hat once (I don’t follow him really), but I doubt it. The article posted at the top of the page gives other examples. Mainly, it appears, by cherry-picking statistics/studies he likes and pretending statistics/studies he doesn’t like don’t exist. He shouldn’t do that. 
Cherry picking is widespread when it comes to politics.  Shapiro hasn't cornered the market

I wouldn’t debate him either. I’ve seen his “debates.”  I don’t think he’s intellectually honest, and stay away from trying to argue with such people. 
He's a slightly more political and slightly less smug version of Jordan Peterson., but he's not too far off.  Not worth engaging. 

Cherry picking is widespread when it comes to politics.  Shapiro hasn't cornered the market
No but legit debates that type of stuff is left at home. If you are interested, intelligent squared has cool debate pods where it is often progressive/conservative types get together and debate respectfully. And if someone goes off the reservation, the audience, hosts and opponents call them out.

AOC is afraid to debate him :)
Apparently "debates" are the new thing privileged white guys feel entitled to get from younger women.  Or maybe I missed all the times Shapiro sought to debate Bernie Sanders?

Don't get me wrong, it's a childish and stupid request anyway, a win-win for the requester and a lose-lose for the subject no matter what the parties' respective genders, races, political parties, etc. And I certainly see why it's such a popular tactic for the Fox News crowd, who sees politics as inconsequential sport where one side wins and the other loses instead of a multifaceted struggle over the implementation of real policies that affect real lives. But the Shaprio-AOC nonsense definitely had a gender dynamic to it too.

Um, yeah.

Cherry picking is widespread.

And that's exactly why AOC should not endorse or enable it.

That makes no sense.
Yes it does. He needs the publicity, she doesn't, so why engage him? And it wouldn't advance her political career one iota even if she mopped the floor with him. The only debate or discussion I saw with him was on Dr. Phil on a panel with transgender Zoe Tur (Katy Tur's biological father) on transgender or LGBT rights. He was losing the argument, then addressed her as "Sir" was meant to antagonize her and was completely uncalled for on his part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong, it's a childish and stupid request anyway, a win-win for the requester and a lose-lose for the subject no matter what the parties' respective genders, races, political parties, etc.
That's not what win-win or lose-lose mean. ;)

I'd personally like to see a debate between them, although "debate" seems overly formal and competitive. I'd like to see a discussion between them. But it's totally unnecessary. They both have their own platforms. There's no real need for them to intersect other than for our entertainment. And really, I'm happier watching AOC on The Colbert Show than I'd be listening to her on Shapiro's podcast.

But in no way do I think it's improper for Shapiro to invite her to a debate. Obviously she's free to say no, and once she says no, he should drop it. The "she's afraid to debate him" stuff is nonsense. But the initial invitation does not merit criticism, IMO.

Ben Shapiro Loses Third Advertiser Over ‘Baby Hitler’ Remarks

Saucey, a Los Angeles-based alcohol-delivery company, will no longer advertise on Ben Shapiro’s podcast after the conservative commentator recorded an episode at the anti-abortion March for Life event on Friday, where he said that “No pro-life person would kill baby Hitler. Baby Hitler was a baby.”

A spokesperson for the company told TheWrap that it will no longer advertise on Shapiro’s show.

Saucey is the third company to pull its ads from Shapiro’s podcast in recent days. Quip, a Brooklyn-based subscription toothbrush company, was the first to pull its advertising on Friday, followed by the meditation app Calm on Saturday.

“Our mission is to make good oral health more accessible to everyone, and podcast advertising is one way we’re able to realize this,” Quip said in a statement.

“However, following one of our ads being read in a venue we did not endorse, we have chosen to discontinue our advertising relationship with this show,” the company continued. “We are also taking steps to ensure all of our advertising partners are aligned with our oral health mission and values.”

Calm announced its move to drop Shapiro’s show on Twitter, stating simply the company does “not align with this message. We’re pulling our sponsorship.”

Shapiro, who is an Orthodox Jew, drew criticism during a speech at the March for Life Rally over the weekend, when he said that he was so pro-life he would not “kill baby Hitler.”

The Daily Wire founder read ads for Quip toothbrushes and ZipRecruiter at the rally, which led Quip and Calm to drop him.

Shapiro did not immediately respond to a request for comment through his site on Tuesday. ZipRecruiter also did not respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Yes it does. He needs the publicity, she doesn't, so why engage him? And it wouldn't advance her political career one iota even if she mopped the floor with him. The only debate or discussion I saw with him was on Dr. Phil on a panel with transgender Zoe Tur (Katy Tur's biological father) on transgender or LGBT rights. He was losing the argument, then addressed her as "Sir" was meant to antagonize her and was completely uncalled for on his part.
He absolutely wasn't.

He absolutely wasn't.
Proof that he was losing is shown by his deflecting the discussion by calling her "Sir" and that derailed the show right there. If indeed he was winning everyone forgot what he said before that and it is now all that remembered about that show. This is why is doing podcasts instead of being on Fox.

That's not what win-win or lose-lose mean. ;)

I'd personally like to see a debate between them, although "debate" seems overly formal and competitive. I'd like to see a discussion between them. But it's totally unnecessary. They both have their own platforms. There's no real need for them to intersect other than for our entertainment. And really, I'm happier watching AOC on The Colbert Show than I'd be listening to her on Shapiro's podcast.

But in no way do I think it's improper for Shapiro to invite her to a debate. Obviously she's free to say no, and once she says no, he should drop it. The "she's afraid to debate him" stuff is nonsense. But the initial invitation does not merit criticism, IMO.
The win/win and lose/lose dynamic regards whether the debate actually happens or not.  If the members says no they’re a coward. And if they say yes they're set up to lose because it’s not their format and because pundits don’t have the added criticism and limitations that come w public service.  

And then obviously that flip/flops from the pundit standpoint, plus they get the PR either way if the public and other media treat it as a “thing” rather than a transparent ploy.

Proof that he was losing is shown by his deflecting the discussion by calling her "Sir" and that derailed the show right there. If indeed he was winning everyone forgot what he said before that and it is now all that remembered about that show. This is why is doing podcasts instead of being on Fox.
I disagree.

The win/win and lose/lose dynamic regards whether the debate actually happens or not.  If the members says no they’re a coward. And if they say yes they're set up to lose because it’s not their format and because pundits don’t have the added criticism and limitations that come w public service.  

And then obviously that flip/flops from the pundit standpoint, plus they get the PR either way if the public and other media treat it as a “thing” rather than a transparent ploy.
Yes, but that's win-lose (Shapiro wins and AOC loses), not win-win or lose-lose.

Yes, but that's win-lose (Shapiro wins and AOC loses), not win-win or lose-lose.
I think we are getting too far down the semantic rabbit hole, but I think he’s saying that Shapiro “wins” even if he loses the debate, because he gets the free publicity (so he either “win” the debate or he “wins” the publicity - hence the win-win). 

Conversely, AOC “loses” even if she nominally wins the debate, (I guess because she has lowered herself to his level?), hence the lose-lose. 

So Shapiro wins regardless of the actual debate, and AOC loses.  

I think we are getting too far down the semantic rabbit hole, but I think he’s saying that Shapiro “wins” even if he loses the debate, because he gets the free publicity (so he either “win” the debate or he “wins” the publicity - hence the win-win). 

Conversely, AOC “loses” even if she nominally wins the debate, (I guess because she has lowered herself to his level?), hence the lose-lose. 

So Shapiro wins regardless of the actual debate, and AOC loses.  
Right, I know what he means and I’m just being pedantic, but that’s not how the payoff tables are structured. Win-win is a term from game theory meaning that Player 1 and Player 2 both receive positive outcomes.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Right, I know what he means and I’m just being pedantic, but that’s not how the payoff tables are structured. Win-win is a term from game theory meaning that Player 1 and Player 2 both receive positive outcomes.
Language evolves, dude.

I think Shapiro is interesting to listen to.  I enjoy his in-person discussions with folks, but am not a fan of his twitter persona.  I followed him for a while and he took too many cheap shots for me to continue following him.

In person though, he's pretty engaging and has some interesting perspectives.

I think Shapiro is interesting to listen to.  I enjoy his in-person discussions with folks, but am not a fan of his twitter persona.  I followed him for a while and he took too many cheap shots for me to continue following him.

In person though, he's pretty engaging and has some interesting perspectives.
I agree that he's annoying on Twitter. I follow him because I need some conservative voices in my feed who aren't never-Trumpers (Shapiro is a "sometimes-Trumper"), and Shapiro is way more consistent and principled than most of the alternatives. I think he genuinely tries to avoid hypocrisy. But he offers way more irksome snark than I'd prefer.

I've never listened to his podcast, but I've heard him a few times on other people's podcasts, and while I disagree with him about nearly everything interesting, I do admire his efforts to engage with difficult issues rather than evading them, and to remain cordial to his interlocutors. He doesn't interrupt or cut people off, and he makes an honest effort not to mischaracterize other people's positions. That goes a long way in my view.

(I'd describe Jordan Peterson in much the same way, except that I'm completely unaware of Peterson's Twitter presence if he has one.)

I agree that he's annoying on Twitter. I follow him because I need some conservative voices in my feed who aren't never-Trumpers (Shapiro is a "sometimes-Trumper"), and Shapiro is way more consistent and principled than most of the alternatives. I think he genuinely tries to avoid hypocrisy. But he offers way more irksome snark than I'd prefer.

I've never listened to his podcast, but I've heard him a few times on other people's podcasts, and while I disagree with him about nearly everything interesting, I do admire his efforts to engage with difficult issues rather than evading them, and to remain cordial to his interlocutors. He doesn't interrupt or cut people off, and he makes an honest effort not to mischaracterize other people's positions. That goes a long way in my view.

(I'd describe Jordan Peterson in much the same way, except that I'm completely unaware of Peterson's Twitter presence if he has one.)
Agreed on Peterson.  His snark is less irksome, and more smug on twitter so I still follow him.

Both interesting conservative thinkers worth listening to.

Twitter snark.  I follow him too because he RTs stuff of interest to me, but way too much of his own material involves him DESTROYING some random nimrod.
Oh he plays down no doubt. I kind of like the guy. He isnt far right and he can debate. He might be a better debater than a politician, but he seems worth exploring.

Hes a very intelligent guy, conservative but not ultra right.  Definitely trolls or flames here and there but hes a media personality and is trying to increase viewership...One way to do that is to be controversial to get attention.

I'm not totally against this stance that those going through gender dysphoria could have underlying mental illnesses.  He pushes that really hard though and he does it knowing it will offend people.  However his basic argument is if you want to transition from a man to a woman, you are free to do so however that doesn't give you the right to force me to call you something i don't believe you are.

I don't think hes a racist though.   We use that term way too freely I think anyway.

So you're saying it's more of a heads-I-win, tails-you-lose kind of situation?

Users who are viewing this thread