What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip to Ireland (1 Viewer)

Snickers

Footballguy
Looking to go to Ireland next summer for around 8 days. It will be my wife, our two kids (7 & 9 at that point) and both sets of grandparents. Any thoughts on dos and donts?

Rough outline right now is to fly into Dublin for a few days and then hit some of the countryside. My dad and his wife are 78 but they get along well for that age. I've heard getting a private driver to show you around can be a good way to see the country.

My wife wants us to pay for all of the accommodations and tour related activities, staying a few nights in a castle hotel would be something we would like to do unless we hear it should be stayed away from doing. Hopeful to drop no more than 15K on the trip but no sure how realistic that will be and would rather spend extra money to ensure everyone has a great time.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. TIA.

if you can swing it, see about getting tickets to a hurling match. GAA should have a schedule for 2018 up in the next few months. 

the Mitchelstown Cave tour is pretty cool. 

Black dot.

Wife and I are going to the Cardinals/Rams game in London in October and I booked 12 days over there. No plans as of yet, but Ireland is high on the list.

I traveled there a few years back with my family out in the West. We rented a cottage in Galway and took in the sights. We rented a car and drove around. We went to Mohr, Aran Islands, Sligo for a Yeats pilgrimage, and the horseback riding in the Connamaragh. Great trip because the Irish know how to tourism works. 

Spent 3 weeks there a few years back.  West coast is where it's at.  Had a few too many bourbons currently and am about to make a move on the wife, will update with more detail (on Ireland, pervs) tomorrow.

I would hit and spend more time on the western side of the country -- Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, and Killarney National Park are a few to hit.

My favorite spots in Dublin were the Long Hall in Trinity College, Guinness, and Jameson.

A little bit south of Dublin is an old monk site called Glendalough, which was pretty cool too.

Blarney Stone is a total tourist trap, and waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cliffs of Moher are a must see.  Single most amazing sight I've witnessed in my life.  Dont do Dublin as too touristy...like being in New Orleans.   Do west coast.
Well, we are going to be with 70 year olds and kids under 10 so some touristy stuff is probably a good idea. I would just as soon skip it but I have to consider our group.

Ireland was one of the biggest surprises we've had going on vacation. We expected to enjoy it but it more than exceeded our expectations. We loved Dublin but we're into cities. It was fun just to walk around. Great pubs and friendly people.

As was mentioned, Glendalough is a great scenic site to visit. Beautiful leisurely walk if the grandparents are up for it. The kids will love to explore around it. Cool cemetery. I found a great drive there from Dublin using backroads that was one of the beautiful drives I've ever done. I can try and look it up if you want.

We almost never do guided tours but did one to the west coast for a day trip. A train trip to Galway and a bus tour including The Cliffs of Moher and other sites. It was actually very good for a guided tour. I would like to go back some day and do more of the west coast including Galway.

If you have the time, I'd also recommend a day trip to Northern Ireland and try to see the Giants Causeway (famous for the cover of Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy) We took a train up to Belfast and rented a car there. Had an incredible drive up the east coast, stopped at a little coastal town for lunch before getting there. Took the highway back and had to run for the last train. Made it with only seconds to spare. Crazy day.

We take a lot of vacations and Ireland still ranks as one of the best ones ever. Have fun!

I'm with the other guys on Dublin and my mother's from there and i spent two wks there every summer as a kid. A pretty ordinary city - Guinness, Book of Kells, pub crawl and you're done. Avoiding bank holidays, i would shake the jet lag in Dublin for a day or two and rent a car (driving lefthanded aint hard, just make sure it's not a stick). Let Ireland tell you what to see.

Have a general itinerary - Wicklow/Glendalough, Ring of Kerry, Giant's Causeway in the north, Cliffs of Moher, old druid sites like Newgrange and Clonmacnoise (a River Shannon boat tour down from Athlone - Ireland's hidden treasure - is nice if you have the weather), Croagh Patrick, Blarney (verrrry skippable but that's a good area for castle stays), dolmens in the Burren (also skippable because those tombs that are photographed to look Stonehenge big are actually Spinal Tap small), a racing meet @ the Curragh or elsewhere, but let the winds carry you. You cant swing a dead Leprechaun over your head without hitting a B&B in Ireland and the owners are Ireland's best concierges. And you've got Tramore, Clew Bay, Achill Island, Athlone, Cork, Galway, Sligo, Dingle, Donegal, the Twelve Bins, and dozens of other places all calling you for them to have their chance at making "Now this is Ireland" echo inside you.

There's a couple reasons improvising is the best Irish strategy. First, since there isnt really one or two things you have to see to feel like you've been, the treasures are in the people, the feel, the Celtic call of the wild. Second, and most important, is the wet. It's possible to go 8 days in summer without getting swamped, but not likely. You're going to lose at least a day somewhere and might all catch cold from it (drink Carrageen tea whenever offered, keeps your lungs clear) I was hiking in the Mweelrea Mts once and 13 separate rain storms hit me on what was otherwise a sunny day. Or you can just be socked in. Since Ireland's small, many use the rainy days to change course and get point-to-point. If you golf & are hearty, playing the links in horizontal rain is one of the funnest ordeals a soul can have. Again, count on your innkeepers to keep you well pointed.

You'll miss Ireland's greatest site, Skellig Michael (the holiest place on Earth), because the climbing's too much for 70yos. It's for the best, really, i know folks who made that the focal point and lost a whole week to the wet without seeing it. Oh, and eat in pubs - most families do - save dough, better food & craik (fun). GL -

Get a pint of Beamish while in Dublin, preferably at The Long Hall, although there are so many great little pubs to duck into for a pint. I love the setups in their bars, with little private nooks spread around to give you privacy if you want.

And I agree with wikkid to keep your plans loose. We decided only while there which direction to go, dependent on the weather.

Get a pint of Beamish while in Dublin, preferably at The Long Hall, although there are so many great little pubs to duck into for a pint. I love the setups in their bars, with little private nooks spread around to give you privacy if you want.

And I agree with wikkid to keep your plans loose. We decided only while there which direction to go, dependent on the weather.
Knowing the group I will be going with it will be a challenge to keep things loose. I suspect the best I will be able to pull off is to have an alternative each day if it is rainy. My wife is a planner though as is her mother so I just don't see playing it by ear as much of an option but I appreciate the suggestion and will run it up the flag pole.

Knowing the group I will be going with it will be a challenge to keep things loose. I suspect the best I will be able to pull off is to have an alternative each day if it is rainy. My wife is a planner though as is her mother so I just don't see playing it by ear as much of an option but I appreciate the suggestion and will run it up the flag pole.
That's all I'm saying. Unless you're booking a tour, try not to set it like "On Monday, we're going here, on Tuesday, we're going here, etc." The weather changes really quick so it's best to keep your options as open as possible.

Daughter is there now.  I'll report highlights.  I'm planning on going next year.  Originally a golf trip with the boys, but Mrs. Smails said over my dead body if I don't take her there first.

i remember this, on FFA each night - "OK we can take a train up north or a bus here or stay here......." 
I remember you saying that once before and I corrected you that that wasn't me. When I go on vacation, I almost never go online, much less for trip advice. I might check in the FFA if I'm sitting at a pool somewhere though.

I remember you saying that once before and I corrected you that that wasn't me. When I go on vacation, I almost never go online, much less for trip advice. I might check in the FFA if I'm sitting at a pool somewhere though.
oops - do not pass Dun Laoghaire, do not collect 200Euros. next offense, go directly to Derry. there was someone did that, tho

oops - do not pass Dun Laoghaire, do not collect 200Euros. next offense, go directly to Derry. there was someone did that, tho
:lmao: :thumbup:

Sounds like a miserable way to travel. I admit that I'm pretty meticulous in my research, pre-trip, but once there I enjoy winging it.

:lmao: :thumbup:

Sounds like a miserable way to travel. I admit that I'm pretty meticulous in my research, pre-trip, but once there I enjoy winging it.
Folks dont understand that the memories of touring Europe that stay with you forever arent Buckingham Palace & the Leaning Tower of Pisa. One has to be facile w languages in many cases to do so but a heated backgammon game in Nafplion or golf round in Connemara, a dinner invitation from a porter in Agrigento, being adopted by a Turkish family for a weekend WHILE seeing Pammukele or Valley of the Kings is what makes it. Being ready to get off the path is the only thing that makes being on one worthwhile. I havent been able to fly in over a decade and i'm STILL corresponding with folks from my touring days.

A little bit south of Dublin is an old monk site called Glendalough, which was pretty cool too.
We went there on our first trip and my wife started walking around the cemetery and half of the stones had her maiden name on them.  Turns out that's her heritage - family originated from County Wicklow.  We had no idea.  Was pretty darn cool.

----

So I've been twice.  If you're starting in Dublin I recommend just getting out of town and hitting the countryside.  Rent a car (with the wifi hotspot!).  Pre-rent as they insist on you getting the super cover (Doolin rental cars is what we used).  But, really, you need a car.  The best stuff is off on small roads.  So you get a great adventure to start - driving through Dublin on the wrong side of the road with a stick, shifting with your left hand (automatics were about double to rent).  Oh, yeah - good times.  We did a counterclockwise loop from Dublin.  IMO, try to see both historical and culture items - we went to a hurling game in Thurles and had an absolute blast (good suggestion above, there!). Things you should try and see:

Newgrange - Just unreal.  Really, this is a once-in-a-lifetime site to see.  Pre-book, as it can fill up quick.

Galway - used this as a hub for a few items.  But inside Galway definitely, definitely see Trad on the Prom.  Awesome music and dance.  This used to be the group The Chieftans, who have now grown up, gotten married, had kids.  The music is incredible and the dancers are the best in the country.

Connemarra - as long as the day is nice, do the five mile loop up the mountain.  Once of the most dramatic, prettiest place on earth. (Note - this is a decent hike as the last bit goes well up!).  Pair the day with Kylemore Castle

Aran Islands - ferry is close to Galway.  Some great neolithic sites.  And definitely answers the question "What do you do when the entire island is covered in loose rock?"   :P   We biked around the island - great times.  I'd put Connemarra above this one, though.

South of Galway - Either as part of staying in Galway or making your way to Killarney (yes, you need to go to Killarney!).  Definitely Cliffs of Moher.  Way cool.   Also hit up Paulnabrone, if you can.  Nice if you have the time and you can say you've seen a dolmen. 'Cause these things are important!   If you're the hiking type I also recommend a hike in The Burren.    Absolutely unique land - takes a bit to get there and find your way.  I have a picture of my kids with that as a backdrop that will stay in my house forever.  Just stunning place.

Then get yourself to Killarney.  The Park is amazing.  Definitely find your way to the Gap of Dunloe.  I biked it (twice).  Lifetime memory.  Easily top 5 for most beautiful place on earth.

Waterford was definitely my favorite city there.  Incredible history (oldest city in Ireland), great museums.  Historical museums from viking days on.  Waterford crystal museum was awesome.  I recommend a full day there.  Loved that place.  It's on the way back to Dublin, so makes a great last stop.

Blarney Castle was ok.  Liked the grounds and the poisonous plant garden more than the castle.  The dinner they put on is pretty cool.  That said I liked Cahir Castle a lot better - neat place.  ETA:  If memory serves they allowed the kids to climb all over the walls here.  Went over well with mine.

Also, super important!  Dublin and Shannon are two of the very few places where you clear customs there, and not in the US.  Make sure you have plenty of time before your flight to clear.  I'd recommend 3 hours, at least.

I made a travel packet for myself on this trip, so if you're interested in this kind of itinerary I can share it.

Folks dont understand that the memories of touring Europe that stay with you forever arent Buckingham Palace & the Leaning Tower of Pisa. One has to be facile w languages in many cases to do so but a heated backgammon game in Nafplion or golf round in Connemara, a dinner invitation from a porter in Agrigento, being adopted by a Turkish family for a weekend WHILE seeing Pammukele or Valley of the Kings is what makes it. Being ready to get off the path is the only thing that makes being on one worthwhile. I havent been able to fly in over a decade and i'm STILL corresponding with folks from my touring days.
Well, you're definitely more outgoing than my wife and I. We prefer to stay to ourselves for the most part. But I agree that the most memorable parts of any trip are the ones that are least planned. Off the beaten path, down a quiet street. It's one of the reasons that Venice is so memorable for us. Just getting lost in the streets was such a great adventure. It's usually the first thing we do in a new city. Ditch the map and just walk.

Thinking of hitting Dublin for 3 days next year.  Going to do Trinity College, Guinness and walk around one day.  Bus trip to Cliffs of Mohr another.  Any suggestions on a hotel?  Looking to stay under $250 a night.

Went with the wife ~4 years ago.  Came back with what turned into my son 9 months later.  Most amazing trip of my life.  We did a groupon deal.  Some random points in no particular order, some of which have been repeated here already.

• We rented a car and I drove.  1st time ever driving on the left.  I adjusted fast.  Our flight got in at 3 AM, so I had time with very little traffic.  Car was a diesel Ford Fiesta, Manual.  I've driven manuals all my life, so easy to adjust to.  There was an upcharge for autos.  Roads were VERY narrow, but personally, I was OK.  No incidents and a LOT of road time.
  • We spent the first day in Dublin and never went back.  Agree Dublin is over-rated.  Spend a day.  Do Trinity College Library and Book of Kels...both are cool.  We did Guinness - if you like beer, that's cool too.  Had drinks at Temple Bar area.  Other than that and walking around, Dublin was OK.
  • Cliffs of Mohr agree 100% is a must see.  
  • Ring of Kerry is a long drive - if you don't have time, we did the Dingle Peninsula, which is like a mini-Ring of Kerry.  Pretty amazing scenery.
  • Dunguaire Castle is beautiful, and near the cliffs.
  • The Blarney Stone was cool, but we went in November, so no lines.  At peak season, I don't think I'd wait for it.  The grounds and the castle were cool though.  Kissing the stone was meh.
  • Cobh was really cool in the south.  Last port stop of the Titanic.  Really neat town with a beautiful church.  
  • We went to the Waterford Crystal factory too - also cool, but I think would be a lot busier.  We got to watch them make one of the NCAA football trophies that they make there.
  • Avoca mill is cool, and a great place to get gifts and stuff, especially for women.  We also went to a cool church near Glendalough nearby.
Honestly, the best part for me was the unscheduled trips.  See an interesting country road, turn down it.  See a road that goes over a hill, drive down it.  We found castle ruins in a townhouse parking lot.  We ended up on some road called "Old Military Road" that wound through the most desolate interesting looking areas.  If you think you can do it, I'd highly recommend driving yourself, or if you hire a driver, don't be afraid to just explore.

Went with the wife ~4 years ago.  Came back with what turned into my son 9 months later.  Most amazing trip of my life.  We did a groupon deal.  Some random points in no particular order, some of which have been repeated here already.

• We rented a car and I drove.  1st time ever driving on the left.  I adjusted fast.  Our flight got in at 3 AM, so I had time with very little traffic.  Car was a diesel Ford Fiesta, Manual.  I've driven manuals all my life, so easy to adjust to.  There was an upcharge for autos.  Roads were VERY narrow, but personally, I was OK.  No incidents and a LOT of road time.
  • We spent the first day in Dublin and never went back.  Agree Dublin is over-rated.  Spend a day.  Do Trinity College Library and Book of Kels...both are cool.  We did Guinness - if you like beer, that's cool too.  Had drinks at Temple Bar area.  Other than that and walking around, Dublin was OK.
  • Cliffs of Mohr agree 100% is a must see.  
  • Ring of Kerry is a long drive - if you don't have time, we did the Dingle Peninsula, which is like a mini-Ring of Kerry.  Pretty amazing scenery.
  • Dunguaire Castle is beautiful, and near the cliffs.
  • The Blarney Stone was cool, but we went in November, so no lines.  At peak season, I don't think I'd wait for it.  The grounds and the castle were cool though.  Kissing the stone was meh.
  • Cobh was really cool in the south.  Last port stop of the Titanic.  Really neat town with a beautiful church.  
  • We went to the Waterford Crystal factory too - also cool, but I think would be a lot busier.  We got to watch them make one of the NCAA football trophies that they make there.
  • Avoca mill is cool, and a great place to get gifts and stuff, especially for women.  We also went to a cool church near Glendalough nearby.
Honestly, the best part for me was the unscheduled trips.  See an interesting country road, turn down it.  See a road that goes over a hill, drive down it.  We found castle ruins in a townhouse parking lot.  We ended up on some road called "Old Military Road" that wound through the most desolate interesting looking areas.  If you think you can do it, I'd highly recommend driving yourself, or if you hire a driver, don't be afraid to just explore.
Thanks, leaning towards handling the driving myself. I was in Australia this summer and handled the other side of the road just fine. Did you end up staying in multiple places or did you have a central spot you stayed and ventured out from there?

Going to Ireland in June for our Honeymoon. Staying in Dublin for couple days, then off to Cork for a few. Yes we are going to kiss the Blarney Stone.  Totally touristy, but I gotta do it while I am there.  And after all, I will be a tourist. From there its off to Killarney to see the Ring of Kerry, then the Cliffs of Moher.  Staying at a few nice places, including some castles.  Can't wait.

We're renting a car through a travel agency, breakfast each day included, most dinners, airfare, excursions listed above plus a couple others, all for $4400 for two of us.  Pretty darn good I must say.

Thanks, leaning towards handling the driving myself. I was in Australia this summer and handled the other side of the road just fine. Did you end up staying in multiple places or did you have a central spot you stayed and ventured out from there?
So our Groupon had us staying at the Powerscourt Hotel in Wicklow.  I think the deal was 7 days/6 nights, airfare, a car, and that hotel for $800/person.  A ridiculous deal.

The Powerscourt grounds were pretty, and they had a nice spa and some good restaurants, but it wasn't close to anything.  We took the train into Dublin, but drove everywhere else.  We did spend one night in a B&B on the western side of the country.  I think it was in a town called Tralee.  It was like $80 for the night.  We basically just used it as a stopping point to keep from having to drive all the way back.  If it wasn't a groupon, and we were going again, I'd just find B&B's the whole way and travel all over.

Essentially, we did:

• Day 1 (arrival day, we got in at 3 AM) - Dublin (Guiness, Trinity College, Book of Kels, Temple Bar)
  • Day 2 Waterford
  • Day 3 Kilkenny
  • Day 3 Drive west for Dunguaire, Cliffs of Mohr, random stuff...spend the night in Tralee
  • Day 4 Dingle Peninsula in the early AM, then Blarney Castle/grounds, then Cobh
  • Day 5 Avoca and Glendalough
  • Day 6 Stayed local.  Went to a beach-side town called Bray and had dinner and then drinks at a super scuzzy dive bar with good live music, then got ready for our return

I had a similar trip as you are planning. We had grandma, three adults, and 4 kids for two weeks.  

We did Dublin bus tour. Guinness, Jameson. Trinity College, Kimainham Gaol (jail) was interesting.  Two days is enough for Dublin.

We drove down to Waterford. Waterford crystal tour was cool for kids and older ones. Drove Dingle Peninsula. Agree that Blarney Castle was pretty lame - just felt we had to be able to say we went there. Cool spots to stop and just randomly climb a mountain in awesome scenery or stop by the beach. 

Ring of Kerry = awesome.

We did the Bunratty castle dinner which was fun with all the people dressed up and eat everything with your hands - kids enjoyed.

Giants Causeway and Cliffs of Moher. There is also a Rope Bridge (close to the cliffs if I remember correctly) that was very fun for the kids and offered a just unbelievable view, which is saying something after you've driven the Ring of Kerry.

We also went up to Belfast which is nothing special in particular but we wanted to hit Northern Ireland, talk to locals and learn more about the hostilities. Like Dublin, the hop on/off bus tour was good for a group.

We basically drove the entire country clockwise from Dublin in short daily drives. Lots of time unaccounted for which allowed for castle stops, climbing, and many ad-hoc activities. We drove to a Gardens (could look it up) and ended up following the local dog up a mountain around the fences and sheep, etc.. Great memory that wasn't planned.

Climbed another hill off the highway to discover an unexpected lake on the other side. Ireland just had the best scenery I've witnessed. If you like scenery, Ireland is awesome. 

My mom did a great job booking places to stay. Even with our large group and kids, we did a couple hostels, a castle, B&Bs, a cottage, and also stayed in an awesome working lighthouse.

You haven't lived until you've watched a bunch of peculiar Russian couples posing for bikini glamour shots in the shallow waters of Pamukkale.  One of the most surreal things I've ever seen.
There's nothing about that place that aint a trip.

We had the great fortune to engage a driver in Izmir who had family dotted all along the Menderes and beyond to his hometown of Konya. My 6ft blond wife was like a walking Statue of Liberty to the Turks and we were treated like royalty everywhere in those pre 9-11 days. A side trip turned into the entire vacation as he ended up taking us all the way out to Kapadokia as well and, having the perfect guide, we even asked about continuing into the Levant but rumored new trouble kept us from giving it a try.

•  
  •  
So on Waterford I really liked it as it's a port town, and I love port towns.  Also, even more than the crystal, we went to the historical museums from Viking times on up.  They were excellent.  Good for a day, but it's a good day.

•  
  • We ended up on some road called "Old Military Road" that wound through the most desolate interesting looking areas.  If you think you can do it, I'd highly recommend driving yourself, or if you hire a driver, don't be afraid to just explore.
So was that old military road the one going through the mountains in County Wicklow?  I had planned to bike that, but the airline lost my bag.  :hot:

On the car, I have a good story there.  We ended up with a Volvo - nice car.  I used to drive a stick a lot, though haven't owned one in a while.  I found left hand shifting to be pretty easy.   What I didn't know about Volvos was that you can't just throw it in reverse.  When we were in Wicklow we got into a parking lot and I had to get into reverse - wouldn't go.  Ended up pushing it back and into a spot.  At that point we were kind of stuck.  Soooo lucky we had a shred of internet access and found out for Volvo you have to press down on the stick, then push the stick over.  :wall:   Had no idea.  Felt like a complete car moron there.

Black dot.

Probably headed to Ireland with my daughters college soccer team in May.  Should be interesting 

Tickets booked.  It appears land in Dublin saturday morning(5/19), drive to Mayo(counsins) for a few days then back to Dublin then to Belfast thursday or friday.  Thought I would get a few more days on west side but games are in Dublin, Belfast and Manchester.  They head to England on Saturday and I head home Sunday.  

Tickets booked.  It appears land in Dublin saturday morning, drive to Mayo(counsins) for a few days then back to Dublin then to Belfast thursday or friday.  Thought I would get a few more days on west side but games are in Dublin, Belfast and Manchester.  They head to England on Saturday and I head home Sunday.  
not the time of year for countryside anyway. where in Mayo?

ask your people if, since its Lent, if there are people crawling up Croagh Patrick. that's quite a sight. Westport's a good food town and the drive from there to Mt Patrick gives a nice view of the islands of Clew Bay. all within an hour. but your people will know best

ask your people if, since its Lent, if there are people crawling up Croagh Patrick. that's quite a sight. Westport's a good food town and the drive from there to Mt Patrick gives a nice view of the islands of Clew Bay. all within an hour. but your people will know best
I'm headed there 5/20/  Lent will be over but would like to check out Westport.

I'm headed there 5/20/  Lent will be over but would like to check out Westport.
oh, i thought your OP meant this Saturday. if you get a break in the wet there in May, i cant recommend the Murrisk (where i hope to retire) enough. Croagh Patrick, Clew Bay, Clare Island (haunts of legendary Pirate Queen Grace O'Malley) and down to the Silver Strand (beautiful surfer beach & you'll be there before the midges hatch) and Uggool (where classic Irish rolling sheep country, surfer beach & the str8out-of-Middle-Earth Mweelrea Mts meet. GL & enjoy

I'm gonna get up to speed on this thread and fanatic's Ireland thread so more questions likely to come, but I have been tasked with choosing a restaurant in Donegal so let's start there. 7 of us - atmosphere/service is more important than food quality, but both are preferred. Local dives, gastropubs, and some premium casual are much more our thing than fine dining, cafes, and anything resembling a chain. Alcohol is a must, but wide variety is not.

Part of our group (myself included) will be doing this climb, weather depending. Any tips?

I think this is where we are...

Day 1 - arrive in Dublin early am, sounds like priorities for the day are locked in, plow through the jet lag and enjoy as much of it as we can then crash. Staying at Academy - looks about a mile NE of Temple Bar. Gonna keep long bar and buxelles in my back pocket though.

Day 2 - leave Dublin early, head north - Giant's Causeway is the destination, whether we stop for 'lunch' prior (not sure) or after (Derry?), we'll see. Got a walking tour in Derry booked and ending the day at Donegal - staying at Diamond Lodgings in the village. Long driving day, so any must's on the morning route north or the afternoon trek east? May not be any space for anything anyway.

Day 3 - Donegal water bus is inked, unsure on the other to do item.

Day 4 - Leave Donegal and head towards Westpot via Silgo. Anything along this route? Much more free time than day 2. Staying at a B&B.

Day 5 - this is crough patrick day, weather depending. What else?

Day 6 - head south through Galway and finish in Ennis. We have family in Ennis, so that's where we will be that night. Any priorities prior? Like day 4, we have time.

Day 7 - golf at lahinch then the cliffs of mohrer, golf is nonrefundable so this is a weather be damned experience. 

Day 8 - leave Ennis for Dingle, we're here til day 10 then we fly out in Shannon...nothing's booked for this part.

...we are wing it vacationers, but to apease our vacation planners are trying to tee up a base plan. I tossed out hurling, petanque, and gaelic football ideas but no idea if there are any games being played on our route nor where to look.

What say you?

Ireland is my all time favorite trip I've been on.  My wife and I went a few years ago with two other couples and had a great time.  We went in early-mid June and 11 of our 14 days broke their all time heat record with not one drop of rain the whole trip (Murhpy's Ice Cream got a LOT of our money 🤣).  We started our trip in Dublin and ended it in Cork with stops in Killarney and Galway in between.

Highlights were (in no particular order other than Killarney being the best):

1. Killarney.  We stayed HERE and absolutely loved it.  We also went on a horseback ride through the national park which was a ton of fun.

2. Trinity College Library in Dublin.  This was an incredibly cool site.  The wait for it gets longer as the day goes on.  Get there early.

3. Lord Edward Pub in Dublin.  The (self proclaimed most miserable person in the world) bartender here made it.  What started as a 20 minute stop while waiting for a few from our party to buy some clothes (because of the heat) turned into a 5 hour binge with all of us smashed.  

4. Aran Islands.  This again was fun because of the people.  The island was very pretty but just hanging out with the locals at the restaurant was a lot of fun.

5. Connie Doolan's Bar.  It's just a small, hole in the wall bar in Cobh (short train ride from Cork) but there was a hurling match on and we had a great time getting trashed with the locals and rooting for the home team.

6. The World Cup was going on while we were there which was incredible.  No matter where you went, if you rooted against England, you were part of the locals.  This trip is what got me into soccer.

7. Cork was a lot of fun.  Lots of great bars and a really cool atmosphere.

8. This is going to sound odd but the food was great.  In fact, the best Italian meal I've ever eaten was at a restaurant in an alley in Dublin called Rosa Madre.

Users who are viewing this thread