What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atlanta at Detroit (1 Viewer)

They need to change the rule. The 10-second runoff was set up as a punitive measure to stop teams from teams on offense from faking an injury or getting a penalty to stop the clock from running. The rule should be something like:

- Team that's behind does something to stop a running clock (injury, penalty, etc) - 10 second runoff

- Refs stop a running clock for whatever reason - no runoff, or a runoff of a VERY conservative estimate on how long it would take for an offense to quickly set up for the next play: 3-4 seconds

You can't penalize a team for the refs making a mistake. And when you need to potentially screw somebody, you should err WAAAAAAAY on the side that lets the players decide the game on the field.

No one is getting screwed if they don't run the clock out. If the play was called correctly the Lions get another play off, the Falcons get the same advantage of the time out. 

Instead Atlanta got all the advantage of not having to play defense on 4th down from the 1/2 yard line. 
You're being super liberal with the idea that they could get another play in at 8 seconds left. Line judge has to run in and signal the play dead, another ref has to spot the ball, players who thought they won have to stop celebrating and get back to the line. No fn way they get another play off. 

You're being super liberal with the idea that they could get another play in at 8 seconds left. Line judge has to run in and signal the play dead, another ref has to spot the ball, players who thought they won have to stop celebrating and get back to the line. No fn way they get another play off. 
They wouldn't have been celebrating if they marked them short, last year the entire team lineup up in 8 seconds and had to go 28 yards. They barely had to move here. Nice try. 

@msudaisy26 - how is this different than taking a play away?
Last time, they aren't giving them a play. If the refs called it correctly the Lions could have gotten a play off in 8 seconds.

Instead by no fault of either team the NFL with their stupid rule decided the game and just ended it with a run off instead of letting the players decide it on the field and that is stupid. 

If you run that play 1000 times with the ball marked short, ANY TEAM in the NFL gets another play off before the clock hits zero 995 times out of 1000. 

Fine - we can drop it - I've said numerous times I'm talking generically but you seem to only want to discuss that one play.  The NFL seems to think the rule is a good idea so I'm uncertain why you see this as more black and white.  I definitely see it as shades of gray and because of that if they want to do something about it they have to pick a cutoff point and 10 seconds is it.  I won't even attempt to argue whether they could get a play off in 12, 10, 8 or whatever - I agree with the NFL's logic on the rule as it stands and 10 seconds sounds reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread