What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Gems - WEEK 4 (1 Viewer)

Alex Collins RB - BAL

Javorius Allen was who we thought he was.
What about the QB, HC, or the Team..  Pretty sure its a 3 -headed Monster, Or that's "Hot Hand" B.S. reeks its way into Games..  I kinda still like West (GL carry's) but its gotta be softer opponents .

The Carolina passing game/offense is in complete disarray, but someone has to catch passes.  Though McCaffrey very well may hoover up most of that volume, Funchess should be an add in long bench leagues.  There's really no one else with talent left to catch the ball.

Kenny Britt, WR for Cleveland

Got chewed out and had his professionalism challenged last week. Responded with 3/54/1, but more importantly 10 targets. No more Dwyane Bowe-ing it maybe?

Orleans Darkwa, RB for New York

Only RB on the Giants who possibly could start, was featured in the 4th quarter before his back tweak knocked him out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's any question Collins is their best RB. I look for him to be their feature back sooner rather than later.
FYI Buck Allen was in for 34 plays, Collins just 10. Just remember that when spending your budget this week plus Woodhead will eventually be coming back.

FYI Buck Allen was in for 34 plays, Collins just 10. Just remember that when spending your budget this week plus Woodhead will eventually be coming back.
When Woodhead does come back, if he's even healthy for long, he's cutting into Allen's time IMO. 

I believe Collins will get more & more touches. He's their most dynamic RB & that offense is in desperate need of some juice.

I haven't looked at snap counts yet but based off of utilization, production and a cursory look..

I thought Funchess was worth rostering in deeper leagues after he saw a career high 7 targets last week with Olsen out. Now this week KB went down and Funchess set a new career high with 10 targets. He didn't do much (4/58) but much of that is a product of Cam just not looking quite right yet. Still, volume is volume and it may be bankable moving forward, especially if KB misses time. Curtis Samuel may also be worth looking at, he saw 5 targets this week which is the most he's seen so far this year.

If you've visited the Alex Collins thread you already know how I feel about him. I bet when I go back and watch his 82 yards on 9 carries I'll be impressed, per usual. I think he's worth grabbing in case there is a RB shake-up in BAL (Collins replacing West).

I'm assuming Cobb is out again for TNF, grab Allison if he's still on you WW. The trend of him seeing looks and producing with Cobb sidelined has continued. You want guys tied to Rodgers.

Bruce Ellington quite simply cannot stay healthy but when he's healthy he flashes legitimate talent. He saw 7 targets this week and turned that in a 4/59/1 stat line. Fuller is coming back soonish but that shouldn't effect Ellington who plays in the slot. While Ellington was injured Ervin manned the slot but gave way to Ellington the minute he was healthy again. I think Ellington is worth looking at in deeper leagues. Honestly, a Hopkins/Fuller/Ellington passing attack doesn't look bad on paper. Subsequently, Watson may be worth looking at as well. Lastly, Foreman needs to be owned as a sky-high upside handcuff.

Smallwood. I don't like mentioning him because I don't think he's very good but Sproles broke his arm and the only other player on that roster who is a similar comp is Pumphrey who is also injured. Out of Smallwood, Blount and Clement, Smallwood is the most versatile and the one most likely to pick up Sproles' missing targets. Before getting injured Sproles was being utilized 12 times a game, 50% of which came in the form of targets.

Prosise. He's undoubtedly talented and looks to have cemented himself as the COP back in this offense. Although Rawls and Lacy were active they didn't register a touch. Prosise was utilized a season high 9 times (5 targets) and played on a season high 37% of the snaps. Baldwin who mans the slot is also dealing with a groin injury of unknown severity which may lead to more underneath work for Prosise. He's worth at least keeping and eye on in PPR.

No Gems. This is one of the worst years for break out players on the wire so far,and for all those on the Collins express,Woodhead is the most dynamic back on the Ravens when healthy.and when he is back,the other RB's won't have a lot of value.especially in ppr...

No Gems. This is one of the worst years for break out players on the wire so far,and for all those on the Collins express,Woodhead is the most dynamic back on the Ravens when healthy.and when he is back,the other RB's won't have a lot of value.especially in ppr...
Thanks but no thanks. I'll take Collins in standard. Woodhead won't last like usual.

I'm going to hold Corey Clement another week and see how that shakes out without sproles. I'm loving my bench in my big money league. Collins, Carson, Foreman, CJ2K, Clement. Premtive picks are the best picks.

Sorry, this is a bit of a pet peeve. Woodhead is not a good runner between the tackles. He's not elusive in space. He's not powerful. He's a bad pass blocker. He's easy to arm tackle. Woodhead does one thing and one thing only: catch passes. Doing only one thing well does not make you dynamic.

Disclaimer: I'm not on the Collins express or the Allen express for that matter. After Dixon went down I wanted no part of that backfield. I think Bitonti has that OL ranked 28th. 

Smallwood. I don't like mentioning him because I don't think he's very good but Sproles broke his arm and the only other player on that roster who is a similar comp is Pumphrey who is also injured. Out of Smallwood, Blount and Clement, Smallwood is the most versatile and the one most likely to pick up Sproles' missing targets. Before getting injured Sproles was being utilized 12 times a game, 50% of which came in the form of targets
He also looked really good yesterday in pass-pro and on his carries.  I wouldn't be shocked if he starts seeing the most touches out of this group starting this Sunday

It is a bit of a weak WW week, & we finally saw some offensive explosions so that's a good thing.

QB - I could see folks chasing points to pick up Bortles, Goff, and Watson. While I do like the game manager scripts the Jags are rolling out this week, can't see much upside there. Goff has a pretty tough schedule but I am impressed with his progress. Watson is semi-intriguing.

WR - If he wasn't already rostered, Funchess' 10 targets will make him a very popular choice. I added/started Geronimo Allison this week, he's a must add IMO, because when any of the Packers 3 WRs miss time, he's productive (late last year and this week.) The Falcons WR2 seems to flip flop every week, I don't think either Gabriel or Sanu will lock it up or be consistent. Travis Benjamin had a nice day if you want a boom/bust Flex. Maybe Will Fuller or Markus Wheaton in deeper leagues.

RB - Blount is widely owned but might have been dropped. Can someone explain what makes any of the three Eagles RBs not named Sproles attractive? Alex Collins gained 64 of his 82 yards when Jax had 44 points on the board. Still, 16-124 the last two weeks is hard to ignore. Oliver can't carry a load but he's a talent if Gordon misses time. Foreman should be an add if he's on your wire.

TE - Ben Watson? I guess Ryan Griffin with CJF on IR. Vernon Davis is always a nice stash whenever Reed is out. Charles Clay and AS-J if they're there. Mercedes Lewis answered yesterday (immediately without hesitation) "2011" when asked the last time he was targeted like that.  :lol:

If D. Baldwin is banged up, whoever mans the slot in his absence in SEA.

P. Richardson? T. Lockett?

Matchup at home against INDY will be a get well game for SEA.

1. Alex Collins is a must add in standard format.  I assume he is already rostered in most dynasty formats.  And if he gets better at pass protection, or Buck gets dinged, he will be a must add in PPR format as well.  

Bigboy10182000 said:
He also looked really good yesterday in pass-pro and on his carries.  I wouldn't be shocked if he starts seeing the most touches out of this group starting this Sunday
I was a big Smallwood guy going into the season but Blount did himself a favor yesterday and looked competent. Smallwood may get the passing work now but he won't get the goal line. Smallwood is the flier but this could be an unproductive backfield until the next injury comes.

Jared Cook.  He was already receiving 1/3 of the target share behind Cooper and Crabtree.  Should have had a 50+ yard TD in week 2 but Carr was pressured and threw it short.  Scored in week 3.  And is getting red zone shots.  Crabtree left the game and didn't come back with a chest injury.  Cook could be the best red zone threat this week since Cooper has hands of stone.

Clement looking more interesting with Sproles out for the year, although as mentioned above, certainly a cluster like many other backfields out there.

Alex Collins RB - BAL

Javorius Allen was who we thought he was.
Maybe Collins is the back to own, but that game reminded me of the story Bill Lee tells in his autobiography "The Wrong Stuff" (highly recommended, BTW, assuming it's still in print):

The Red Sox had just lost a game where they played terribly. Luis Tiant walked into the clubhouse, sat down on the toilet, took a massive dump and then, as he flushed, said, "Bye, bye, game." 

Point being, don't read too much into that game. It was a turdfest from start to finish.

Never start the Goober. He will give you a 5 point game when you only need 10.
Legit only have 10 starting QBs on my WW: Dalton, Cutler, Bortles, Goff, Kizer, Keenum, Brissett, Glennon, McCown, and Hoyer. 

I'm hoping someone drops one of the 3 QBs they're holding but it doesn't look likely. 

Maybe Collins is the back to own, but that game reminded me of the story Bill Lee tells in his autobiography "The Wrong Stuff" (highly recommended, BTW, assuming it's still in print):

The Red Sox had just lost a game where they played terribly. Luis Tiant walked into the clubhouse, sat down on the toilet, took a massive dump and then, as he flushed, said, "Bye, bye, game." 

Point being, don't read too much into that game. It was a turdfest from start to finish.
Don't you think Alex Collins has looked like the best Balt back all season?

With the exception of his participation in passing game, which I believe is largely due to his deficiency in pass blocking.  And this skill can be taught.  Now whether or not he is capable of learning it may be a different story.

JamieMurphy said:
Clement, RB PHI

Hilts said:
Or Smallwood. Who would be the next guy up if Sproles is out?
Why?  Eagles carried the ball a whopping 33 times yesterday which won't happen again (13 and 20 in their first two games).  Likely around 20 moving forward and Clement will be extremely lucky to see 8-10 of those carries.  He likely sees 3-7 per game which isn't worth a roster spot.  At that point you're hoping for a Smallwood and/or Blount injury so why not take a flier on a true backup rb if that's the case?

aggie_dave said:
The Carolina passing game/offense is in complete disarray, but someone has to catch passes.  Though McCaffrey very well may hoover up most of that volume, Funchess should be an add in long bench leagues.  There's really no one else with talent left to catch the ball.
He should be an add in ALL leagues I think.  His targets went from 2, to 6, to 10 this year.  Could see him getting 8-10 targets and catching 6 balls a game from here on out.  That is worth rostering.  Teams will start doubling CMC, doing their best to stack boxes and taking him out of the game.  Cam's gonna be forced to throw and with KB and Olson out, it's gotta go somewhere.

Watson could be a low end QB1 due to his running ability.
He's got the Titans and Chiefs next so if someone has the room he is worth the stash but I wouldn't expect big numbers the next two weeks. After that the schedule lightens up considerably.

He should be an add in ALL leagues I think.  His targets went from 2, to 6, to 10 this year.  Could see him getting 8-10 targets and catching 6 balls a game from here on out.  That is worth rostering.  Teams will start doubling CMC, doing their best to stack boxes and taking him out of the game.  Cam's gonna be forced to throw and with KB and Olson out, it's gotta go somewhere.
Also, the Panthers have 11 of their 12 games that are left in the fantasy season, vs pass d's ranked out of the top 15.  Only 1 in 12 is vs a good pass D (Packers ranked 9th).  That's a great schedule if Cam can get it going.

Don't you think Alex Collins has looked like the best Balt back all season?

With the exception of his participation in passing game, which I believe is largely due to his deficiency in pass blocking.  And this skill can be taught. 
It's not typically learned in-season though. I'd be curious to see what other backs were actually able to improve enough in pass-blocking during the season to actually convince their coach to keep them in for passing situations. 

It's not typically learned in-season though. I'd be curious to see what other backs were actually able to improve enough in pass-blocking during the season to actually convince their coach to keep them in for passing situations. 
This makes sense.  Maybe the kid can improve enough during practice during the season that he gets a shot.  In any case, that backfield is a 3-headed monster right now and will be a bigger mess while Woodhead plays for a game or two. 

Users who are viewing this thread