What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Gems - WEEK 4 (2 Viewers)

Why?  Eagles carried the ball a whopping 33 times yesterday which won't happen again (13 and 20 in their first two games).  Likely around 20 moving forward and Clement will be extremely lucky to see 8-10 of those carries.  He likely sees 3-7 per game which isn't worth a roster spot.  At that point you're hoping for a Smallwood and/or Blount injury so why not take a flier on a true backup rb if that's the case?
Running backs also catch passes. 

Austin Seferian-Jenkins might be worth a mention.  5 catches on 6 targets in his first game back.
I like this one.  The TE position is so flat right now, which gives him more value off the bat, but I also think he may be the best receiver on that team.  Despite how well they played this week I expect there to be a lot of second half passing, including 4th quarters against soft zones that favor a TE.  This is a great pre-emptive add in my opinion.  I plan to drop Juliuseless Thomas for him.

I like this one.  The TE position is so flat right now, which gives him more value off the bat, but I also think he may be the best receiver on that team.  Despite how well they played this week I expect there to be a lot of second half passing, including 4th quarters against soft zones that favor a TE.  This is a great pre-emptive add in my opinion.  I plan to drop Juliuseless Thomas for him.
Agreed.  If he is still out there and you need help at TE, and a lot of folks do, then go get him.  

While I'm not sold on him talent wise Smallwood clearly is being presented with the best rest of season opportunity of players available on most WW's. Collins has more talent IMHO but he is in a muddled timeshare that will only get worse when Woodhead returns. Morris and McFadden still remain speculative adds based on Zekes legal case and should probably be added to rosters after Collins and Smallwood.

Geronimo Allison could be a good one week flyer but Robert Woods and Robby Anderson could be better adds for season long. 

It's not typically learned in-season though. I'd be curious to see what other backs were actually able to improve enough in pass-blocking during the season to actually convince their coach to keep them in for passing situations. 
Don't know the answer to that.  But all he has to do is be perceived to better at it than Buck Allen.  In college although they did not throw to him a ton, he seemed to have decent hands and he is really dangerous when he gets the ball in open space.

Running backs also catch passes. 
Not so much him though.  He hasn't gotten a look in the passing game this year.

He may get a few, but I still don't know why we're talking about picking up the 3rd rb option on a pass first team?

He may get a few, but I still don't know why we're talking about picking up the 3rd rb option on a pass first team?
Ah, Clement. You quoted two posts initally one mentioned Clement the other said Smallwood. 

Okay, Smallwood is a good pickup Clement not so much. Gotcha.  :thumbup:

Geronimo Allison could be a good one week flyer but Robert Woods and Robby Anderson could be better adds for season long. 
If Adams, Cobb, or Nelson miss time late in the season or FF playoffs, Allison could be the reason you win a championship. Opportunity in a volume offense from an elite QB.

Do you think there is a likely scenario where Anderson or Woods will be a difference maker in winning a title this year?

If Adams, Cobb, or Nelson miss time late in the season or FF playoffs, Allison could be the reason you win a championship. Opportunity in a volume offense from an elite QB.

Do you think there is a likely scenario where Anderson or Woods will be a difference maker in winning a title this year?
Not really, but you have to reach the playoffs first.

He hadn't gotten a look in that because they had Sproles.  We are looking at a RB on a pass first team presumably because one is in a PPR league and someone has the opportunity to get Sprole's targets in the passing game.  Smallwood may not pick those up and they may go to Ertz or one of the WR's, but this is speculation at this point and it is worth speculating which of the RB's could potentially get increased workload. 

Also, the Panthers have 11 of their 12 games that are left in the fantasy season, vs pass d's ranked out of the top 15.  Only 1 in 12 is vs a good pass D (Packers ranked 9th).  That's a great schedule if Cam can get it going.
hmmmm. is it a tad early to make late season determinations about schedule? the quality of defensive units can change dramatically and three games is still a little skinny as far as data sets go.

i've never seen the point of looking much beyond the next few weeks when analyzing strength of schedule.

hmmmm. is it a tad early to make late season determinations about schedule? the quality of defensive units can change dramatically and three games is still a little skinny as far as data sets go.

i've never seen the point of looking much beyond the next few weeks when analyzing strength of schedule.
Ya, you're probably right actually.  But as of now it doesn't look like it will be a terribly difficult schedule, especially over the few weeks when Olson and maybe Benjamin will be out.  Pats/Lions/Eagles/Bears/Bucs/Falcons/Dolphins all before the bye.  I'm willing to bet very few, if any, of those teams become top 10 pass D's this year by seasons end. 

Matchups aren't the biggest thing, but the target number and injuries make him a lock to get 8 targets a game for the next few weeks I think.  Worth an add anyways.

For those of us who will miss on Funchess in the waiver process, any reason to take a cheaper buy in on Curtis Samuel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea not really gems this week. A lot of fools gold.
It's probably Smallwood, Snead, and a whole lot of speculations not worth sticking your neck out for unless it's for free. And Smallwood/Snead are not worth a high priority or high bid in my book

While I'm not sold on him talent wise Smallwood clearly is being presented with the best rest of season opportunity of players available on most WW's. Collins has more talent IMHO but he is in a muddled timeshare that will only get worse when Woodhead returns. Morris and McFadden still remain speculative adds based on Zekes legal case and should probably be added to rosters after Collins and Smallwood.

So who is the Shark move FAAB pick - Morris or McFadden

So who is the Shark move FAAB pick - Morris or McFadden
I'd roll with Morris at this point because in a worst case scenario you can play him now since DMC has been healthy scratches. Should Zeke get suspended I'd say it's a 60/40 McFadden over Morris split.

I like Smallwood, he has some big play speed I think is maybe being discounted.

I also think McFadden is a sneaky add but might be a hold until Elliott shakes out a good 2-3 weeks from now.

rschroeder1 said:
For those of us who will miss on Funchess in the waiver process, any reason to take a cheaper buy in on Curtis Samuel?
Is Funchess really a priority add? He's one of very few guys in the league who has a QB who just can't get the damn ball to him on a regular basis. 

Yeah I like Smallwood over Clement, he at least gets the Sproles role. Add another 6-8 carries and I'd be down for that.

Jaguars D if it's on the wire, you could go ROS with them.

Yeah I like Smallwood over Clement, he at least gets the Sproles role. Add another 6-8 carries and I'd be down for that.

Jaguars D if it's on the wire, you could go ROS with them.
You sure about Jax D? They seem like they'll be hit or miss. 

rschroeder1 said:
Worth a dart throw IMO.  2nd rounder, just like Funchess, only IMO Funchess has proven he's not that good.

You sure about Jax D? They seem like they'll be hit or miss. 
Their sched including 3 game Fantasy Playoffs

4Oct 1@NYJSun 1:00 pm

5Oct 8@PitSun 1:00 pm

6Oct 15LARSun 4:05 pm

7Oct 22@IndSun 1:00 pm

8BYE--------

9Nov 5CinSun 1:00 pm

10Nov 12LACSun 1:00 pm

11Nov 19@CleSun 1:00 pm

12Nov 26@AriSun 4:25 pm

13Dec 3IndSun 1:00 pm

14Dec 10SeaSun 1:00 pm

15Dec 17HouSun 1:00 pm

16Dec 24@SFSun 4:05 pm

Maybe 2-3 matchups you worry about (@Pit, @Ariz), but nothing too terrifying. They really are developing a well-rounded D.

Worth a dart throw IMO. 2nd rounder, just like Funchess, only IMO Funchess has proven he's not that good.
I watched Cam's throws from last week. I think Funchess could have had a nice ppr day if Cam didn't suck. I just don't know if that will change anytime soon.

I think I'm sitting this one out, other than maybe to pick up Cinci D. I could use more WR depth, and I had thought Richardson was still out there, but just realized he's rostered. Only WRs left are TBenjy, Anderson, JaBrown and BEllington (16 team leagues are tough, man). RB options are also uninspiring (not buying Smallwood/ACollins hype).

I think I'm sitting this one out, other than maybe to pick up Cinci D. I could use more WR depth, and I had thought Richardson was still out there, but just realized he's rostered. Only WRs left are TBenjy, Anderson, JaBrown and BEllington (16 team leagues are tough, man). RB options are also uninspiring (not buying Smallwood/ACollins hype).
I'm surprised those options are available in a 16 team league. Short benches?

Suprised -- maybe confused is a better word? -- at the division over Alex Collins's potential worth. Opinions in this thread range from must-add to 3+ headed monster who becomes irrelevant when Woodhead is back.

I'm looking at dumping Perine, given that we've seen what he can do (albeit one game, he wasn't inspiring at all in terms of his style and substance), and even though Collins had most of his yards on two meaningless plays in garbage time, it's not as if the other BAL backs are showing anything. 

Dumping Perine may be short-sighted for a guy who never pans, so yes, I'm torn about this.

Looks like Ellington got a lot of looks as a satellite back. 
Surprised Andre Ellington got only one mention -- obviously better in PPR, but in those leagues, the guy was on the field a ton and heavily involved in the passing game. Can he be a solid albiet not spectacular floor contributor in the flex in a PPR?

I picked up Funchess last week in both of my leagues, and while I wouldn't say I'm totally satisfied with the stat line from sunday, I'm not disappointed either. Benjamin's injury is only more reason why Funchess starts to see more targets and production. I think he will be steady regardless while Olsen is out.

2 players I haven't seen mentioned I have questions about:

-Sterling Shepherd - I dropped him for Evan Engram sunday morning and am kind of kicking myself but at the same time, unsure. I didn't want 2 players on NYG if 1 isn't ODB. Is Shepherd worth spending FAAB on to get back? Id likely drop Eifert or DMC, but at the same time I think Engram may be fairly consistent as a backup TE/flex whereas Marshall, Shepherd & whoever else will be variable.

-Duke Johnson - I guess he is widely owned, huh? This is a 10 team PPR and he's available. I have middling WW priority but I figure he is the top add?

What do you guys think of Amendola?  What if you saw him on waiver wire... would you pick him up? Would you drop him for one of the players on this thread?  This is just in general wondering if you consider Amendola droppable in a 0.5 ppr league.  This last week he was the #3 behind Hogan and Cooks, 4th or 5th option behind Gronkowski and White.  

Suprised -- maybe confused is a better word? -- at the division over Alex Collins's potential worth. Opinions in this thread range from must-add to 3+ headed monster who becomes irrelevant when Woodhead is back.

I'm looking at dumping Perine, given that we've seen what he can do (albeit one game, he wasn't inspiring at all in terms of his style and substance), and even though Collins had most of his yards on two meaningless plays in garbage time, it's not as if the other BAL backs are showing anything. 

Dumping Perine may be short-sighted for a guy who never pans, so yes, I'm torn about this.

Surprised Andre Ellington got only one mention -- obviously better in PPR, but in those leagues, the guy was on the field a ton and heavily involved in the passing game. Can he be a solid albiet not spectacular floor contributor in the flex in a PPR?
I think so.

I picked up Funchess last week in both of my leagues, and while I wouldn't say I'm totally satisfied with the stat line from sunday, I'm not disappointed either. Benjamin's injury is only more reason why Funchess starts to see more targets and production. I think he will be steady regardless while Olsen is out.

2 players I haven't seen mentioned I have questions about:

-Sterling Shepherd - I dropped him for Evan Engram sunday morning and am kind of kicking myself but at the same time, unsure. I didn't want 2 players on NYG if 1 isn't ODB. Is Shepherd worth spending FAAB on to get back? Id likely drop Eifert or DMC, but at the same time I think Engram may be fairly consistent as a backup TE/flex whereas Marshall, Shepherd & whoever else will be variable.

-Duke Johnson - I guess he is widely owned, huh? This is a 10 team PPR and he's available. I have middling WW priority but I figure he is the top add?
I like Shephard quite a bit, but I wouldn't drop Engram to re-roster him. Now that you have Engram, Eifert would be a safe drop imo.

Users who are viewing this thread