What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFL - owners quitting in NFL boycott (1 Viewer)

Kid_kong

Footballguy
I had two owners decide to boycott the NFL and by extension FFL. The political situation drove them to this decision. Are there other FBG's in this situation?  It's a 12 team redraft. Should we simply drop the two teams and release their rosters to waivers or try to replace?

Does anyone have an opinion on how to handle these guys?  It's a friends league so I don't want to make enemies but BS they're taking this hard line since it's popular  

thoughts?

It is not fair to the league to do that midseason. I understand their point and may be stopping all FF and NFL watching after this year but will finish out this years commitments. I can't believe I am saying that. I would try to replace them. That many good players on the WW could completely change the league. If you cant then those rosters stay locked for the season and they are set each week as a ghost team. They will play and can win or lose but cant make the playoffs. 

This is kind of dumb. Quitting mid season is not fair to the rest of your league-mates.

As someone who is put off by politics entering sports, I am likely not watching for a while- just because I'm sick of it all. Politics stay out of football, football stay out of politics. I don't need the headaches. And to be honest, there are better things for me to do with my time. I view football and sports as entertainment. If I'm not entertained I don't watch. Some call that being a fair weather fan. I call it having perspective. If the NFL is going to get all political- including the announcers/hosts/etc then I won't be entertained; I will be annoyed. I'd rather take care of my yard work or go to the zoo with my kids. 

However, I'm not quitting FF... I paid my entry fee and it would be unfair to everyone else who has also paid their entry fee to mess up the league like that. I may not play next year, but not just because of this political stuff. I'm just also getting tired of playing season long. Maybe I go play DFS with some friends instead. $5 a week is much less than my entry fee for my season long, and more exciting

Replace them next year and move on. 

If you're the commish I would let everyone know that you will be changing out their bye week players to keep things fair. See if anyone has an issue with that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Find some replacements.  There are probably posters in this thread that would take a team, or I think there's another forum here for this sort of thing.

I had two owners decide to boycott the NFL and by extension FFL. The political situation drove them to this decision. Are there other FBG's in this situation?  It's a 12 team redraft. Should we simply drop the two teams and release their rosters to waivers or try to replace?
Let me guess, neither of these "political activists" have a 3-0 record?

It is not fair to the league to do that midseason. I understand their point and may be stopping all FF and NFL watching after this year but will finish out this years commitments. I can't believe I am saying that. I would try to replace them. That many good players on the WW could completely change the league. If you cant then those rosters stay locked for the season and they are set each week as a ghost team. They will play and can win or lose but cant make the playoffs. 
Obviously, I'd find replacements if I could. I'd go after the full entry fee from the quitters and charge the new owners 1/2 price - that seems a fair amount to ensure skin in the game without handicapping them too badly, plus it makes the league pot 8% larger.

The problem is if you can't replace them, locking the rosters really gives an unfair advantage to those owners who get to play the ghost teams later in the season, when injuries and benchings mean they'll be much weaker overall. I'd be inclined to reset the league to a 10-team schedule and hold a dispersal draft this week that runs from worst to first by record. Say 2 rounds - that's 20 players selected. Then I'd release the remaining names on the ghost rosters to waivers immediately, and release any names that were dropped by owners to make room to waivers only after week 4. This keeps owners at the top of the current waiver order from reaping a bonanza.

If you can't reset the schedule midseason, then teams 11 and 12 should be manually adjusted to the league average score each week, so each team playing them H2H gets a win if they outscore the league average and a loss if they don't.

I agree that the proper thing to do is to find replacements to manage the teams through the season.

I understand why those who are on this site have a hard time imagining teams dropping mid season because most here are really into fantasy football but I can see this happening. I have played fantasy football for a long time (30 years) and to be honest I enjoy it but it's not as important to me anymore. It is supposed to be an escape but it has been pulled into the political ring. I could easily just as soon drop my teams and stop watching football this year. I can spend my time hunting and fishing and be perfectly content. That said, I am not planning to go that route yet. My wish is that NFL teams just stop playing the national anthem. I feel it's the best way to distance themselves from this political hot button.

I agree that the proper thing to do is to find replacements to manage the teams through the season.

I understand why those who are on this site have a hard time imagining teams dropping mid season because most here are really into fantasy football but I can see this happening. I have played fantasy football for a long time (30 years) and to be honest I enjoy it but it's not as important to me anymore. It is supposed to be an escape but it has been pulled into the political ring. I could easily just as soon drop my teams and stop watching football this year. I can spend my time hunting and fishing and be perfectly content. That said, I am not planning to go that route yet. My wish is that NFL teams just stop playing the national anthem. I feel it's the best way to distance themselves from this political hot button.
How about you just turn the tv on 5 minutes after broadcast start

How about you just turn the tv on 5 minutes after broadcast start
Maybe I just don't need the NFL and I don't need to hear about what players are doing during the anthem throughout the broadcast and I would like to do my small part to make my point in seeing ratings go down so some change is made? I don't need politics in football.

I made the opposite decision and am boycotting politics.  I feel the NFL players are more patriotic and care more about the future of this country than those in office and will gladly watch football over 24hr news sources covering politics.  

I'm glad I didn't have any friends that pulled crap like that, they probably wouldn't be my friends any more. 

I have not run into that yet, but I did quit 1 league before the season started due to inactivity. No trading or anything. Takes all the fun out of it. Leaving another league after this year for same reason. I do FF for fun. When all that happens is just setting lineups & maybe a FA pickup here & there, it's boring as hell for me.

I agree with others that the best solution is to find replacement owners.  Our league bylaws provides for the management of Orphan Teams by the Executive Committee (Commissioner and a representative from each Division), and I recommend this addition to your league in the future.

A lot of folks are pretty fed up with the politics involved, and they are ready to walk away as fans.  I hardly blame them.  Watching sports was once an escape from the world around us, a chance to bring people together despite their differences.

Does anyone have an opinion on how to handle these guys?  It's a friends league so I don't want to make enemies but BS they're taking this hard line since it's popular  

thoughts?
What morons!

The only people they are effecting are their friends (as you said it’s a friends league) who started the league at the start of the season. 

Their actions are completely unfair to all other league members...Also, I’d like to state that I’m not taking a political stand here one way or another. I’m simply responding to people who are letting their friends down. NOBODY, but their friends are going to be effected by their boycott of the NFL.

If I were you I’d tell them to suck it up and finish the commitment they made to their friends at the start of the season. They don’t have to buy NFL products, or watch NFL games or support the NFL in any way going forward, but they should make good on the commitment they made to their friends...I would absolutely kick them out if they are going to ruin the league for everyone else.

Good riddance to them. 

Freedom of speech is universal. If POTUS can call KKK & Nazis "good people" for exercising their 1st amendment rights, he should shut his pie hole about NFL players using their platform for bringing attention to their important issue.

twisting it and making it about "disrespecting the flag" or "disrespecting the anthem" is childish and manipulative. They're not disrespecting anything - they're joining in peaceful protest about police brutality against POC. 

If Pat Tillman's family / widow are with the players, then I'm with the players. Because there's no greater example of patriotism than Tillman giving up millions to go fight for his country. Meanwhile Trump had phantom bone spurs and dodged the draft because of wealth & privilege, yet was somehow healthy enough to play baseball? Yeah - he doesn't get to be the judge of what constitutes disrespecting the military. 

So yeah - replace them with two new owners who won't quit their league next year. You say they're friends? What kind of friends F over 8-9-10-11 of their other friends and quit a league in week 3. These people aren't your friends. 

lock them out of the league, and manually set their lineups every week. 

The OP didn't make it clear if they are abandoning their teams or asking the commish to seek a solution because they will be soon. I wouldn't like to see my friends just short notice quick but I could accept it if they said they wanted to step away due to this so find a replacement soon. Everyone has their own individual feelings on this and can act as they wish. I just hope they allow time to fill their void.

Obviously, I'd find replacements if I could. I'd go after the full entry fee from the quitters and charge the new owners 1/2 price - that seems a fair amount to ensure skin in the game without handicapping them too badly, plus it makes the league pot 8% larger.

The problem is if you can't replace them, locking the rosters really gives an unfair advantage to those owners who get to play the ghost teams later in the season, when injuries and benchings mean they'll be much weaker overall. I'd be inclined to reset the league to a 10-team schedule and hold a dispersal draft this week that runs from worst to first by record. Say 2 rounds - that's 20 players selected. Then I'd release the remaining names on the ghost rosters to waivers immediately, and release any names that were dropped by owners to make room to waivers only after week 4. This keeps owners at the top of the current waiver order from reaping a bonanza.

If you can't reset the schedule midseason, then teams 11 and 12 should be manually adjusted to the league average score each week, so each team playing them H2H gets a win if they outscore the league average and a loss if they don't.
I'm guessing those that quit are simply deaf and blind to the reality of African Americans in our great country. Honestly, many cannot understand because they have innocently/ignorantly benefited from the system (reparations, full citizenship, right to purchase land and homes, education---amass wealth) all their lives...I DID, and STILL DO..I just didn't know it until I humbled myself and listened to a dear Black man who took the time to educate me. It isn't about white guilt either which is what many chalk it up to, its about really listening and that is hard. I think it is unfortunate that because the flag invokes such patriotism/nationalism it is just too strong of a stance...the message has been lost to a great extent.. This protest  ISN'T and NEVER HAS BEEN ABOUT DISRESPECTING THE FLAG OR VETERANS, if people think it is, they haven't been listening to Kaepernick or anyone this movement is trying to give voice to.

I mean if you're really that turned off by guys kneeling during the anthem (and heck, I'm not in love with it) turn the game on at 1:05.

They're showing that they are great Americans, duh....

...by screwing over their friends, failing to honor their commitments and hating freedom of speech and peaceful protesting.
Easy there tiger. Boycotting the NFL/FF could easily be considered freedom of speech and peaceful protesting as well. You're quote above is close to exactly what you're accusing them of doing. 

While I think it's ridiculous to bail on friends/league-mates, I think it's equally ridiculous to claim they "hate freedom of speech and peaceful protesting." We need to stop the rhetoric. 

Wait, so they haven't paid the league fee this year and now they're quitting without paying it?

These guys sound really noble.

How much is the entry fee?

Easy there tiger. Boycotting the NFL/FF could easily be considered freedom of speech and peaceful protesting as well. You're quote above r is close to exactly what you're accusing them of doing. 

While I think it's ridiculous to bail on friends/league-mates, I think it's equally ridiculous to claim they "hate freedom of speech and peaceful protesting." We need to stop the rhetoric. 
If they don't want to watch the games, that's well within their rights and would be their own form of protest, sure - but to get so upset that you would just bail on a commitment to your friends shows you lack an understanding of the basic rights afforded to everyone.

Sure my statement was somewhat hyperbolic - but being so mad at something that is harmless to others and using that to "harm" others is also pretty hyperbolic also, jaguar.

If they don't want to watch the games, that's well within their rights and would be their own form of protest, sure - but to get so upset that you would just bail on a commitment to your friends shows you lack an understanding of the basic rights afforded to everyone.

Sure my statement was somewhat hyperbolic - but being so mad at something that is harmless to other is also pretty hyperbolic also, jaguar.
I think they're real jags by bailing on their friends. If they want to, that's fine. I've had guys quit for worse reasons. But it still ruins the league, which is a real jack ### thing to do- it's the definition of taking your ball and going home

Easy there tiger. Boycotting the NFL/FF could easily be considered freedom of speech and peaceful protesting as well. You're quote above is close to exactly what you're accusing them of doing. 

Interesting.  My thoughts as well, although this is not a 1st Amendment issue in any way, so I'm not sure where the freedom of speech part comes in.

Great post here... 

1) Wagering these guys are 1-2 or 0-3 and this "stance" is an excuse for being cranky about poor performance. 

2) As a fix, I love the above solution of giving their team an "average score" each week.... IF you are unable to find new owners, or can't reset the league to 10T league. Nice, creative and fair solution that is easy to implement. 

I participate in 7 leagues and commish 4 leagues... and have thankfully not had to deal with this. If someone did try to quit, I'd have words with them about the hollow nature of their actions, and how they're screwing over freinds/league-mates with their actions. 

Interesting.  My thoughts as well, although this is not a 1st Amendment issue in any way, so I'm not sure where the freedom of speech part comes in.
It's not technically a first amendment issue (although Trump's involvement pushes it a little closer to being there)...but it is within the spirit of Freedom of speech.

Anyway not looking to make this an FFA topic - I surely don't fault anyone for protesting in their own way if they don't like what they are seeing - I just think getting so worked up about it is a little silly.  

Yes people are using the term freedom of speech and 1st Amendment out of context... the 1st Amendment prevents government from restricting people from saying what they want to say. Has nothing to do with this entire "protest" in the NFL. 1st Amendment does not prevent employers from restricting speech from employees, which is this entire issue. 

Agree the decision is bogus and the only people they're hurting is the guys staying in the league.  Trying to find replacement owners.  If i can't it seems the consensus is that I lock their rosters and they forfeit their remaining games.  We go as 10.  

Think it's simple.  They have every right to walk out of the league (minus not paying league dues) just like any person has a right to stand, kneel, squat, do the moonwalk during the national anthem.  That is what America is about, right or wrong.  But then they'll be held accountable for their actions.  In this case, you don't let them back in and you demand they pay their league dues.  in the meantime I'd say play the teams on their roster according to FBG rankings or some ranking to keep it fair or until you can find replacements.  Although with waivers and add/drops it could be tricky, that part isn't so simple.  Hopefully you can find some replacements quick.

I would replace the two quitters, and I wouldn't allow them to rejoin next year. 
This. Free teams should be filled fairly easily.

I made the opposite decision and am boycotting politics.  I feel the NFL players are more patriotic and care more about the future of this country than those in office and will gladly watch football over 24hr news sources covering politics.  

I'm glad I didn't have any friends that pulled crap like that, they probably wouldn't be my friends any more. 
Half the country did that last November. Didn't work out so well.

Regarding 1st amendment, it is a freedom issue - speech, expression.

That's why the POTUS criticizing it & calling for people to be fired over it (as with the ESPN reporter) is so totally out of line. 

Because the POTUS is infringing on their 1st amendment rights. It's not up to the government to determine which free speech is ok or not.

and so far their track record is "KKK/white supremacists, ok; NFL Players peacefully protesting police brutality bad". 

Terrible. 

I think it's simple.  They have every right to walk out of the league (minus not paying league dues) just like any person has a right to stand, kneel, squat, do the moonwalk during the national anthem.  That is what America is about, right or wrong.  But then they'll be held accountable for their actions.  In this case, you don't let them back in and you demand they pay their league dues.  In the meantime I'd say play the teams on their roster according to FBG rankings or some ranking to keep it fair or until you can find replacements.  Although with waivers and add/drops it could be tricky, that part isn't so simple.  Hopefully you can find some replacements quick.

Just read a few @Jason Wood tweets.  He had two owners bail on him.  They're going to freeze their rosters and give them 0-13 records.  That might make the most sense.

OP, always get dues before the season begins. This is why I hate being Commish in my local league. 

I'd really like to see a centralized message about why these protests are occurring. I'd like well, thought-out, statistics by these players. Is there a website? Do I need to subscribe to Kaep's Twitter or Democratic Underground? Not knowing where to turn to for answers is silly. 

However, I would like the first paragraph to begin, 'Although more Whites are killed by police yearly...'.  

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

Maybe it's just my apathetic or cynical nature but I honestly felt nothing either way for those that kneeled or those that stood. Same amount of time passed before the game and then they played. 

People need to lighten up on both sides.

Maybe it's just my apathetic or cynical nature but I honestly felt nothing either way for those that kneeled or those that stood. Same amount of time passed before the game and then they played. 

The time for that is way gone IMHO...this is probably just going to get worse...and sadly probably more violent as well.

OP, always get dues before the season begins. This is why I hate being Commish in my local league. 

I'd really like to see a centralized message about why these protests are occurring. I'd like well, thought-out, statistics by these players. Is there a website? Do I need to subscribe to Kaep's Twitter or Democratic Underground? Not knowing where to turn to for answers is silly. 

However, I would like the first paragraph to begin, 'Although more Whites are killed by police yearly...'.  

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 
Start here, OB.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/donald-trump-nfl-protests-anthem-kneeling-dale-hansen-wfaa-speech-video

I agree with sentiment that sports should not be political and politics should not be inserting itself into sports. The solution is to stop playing National Anthem before sports events since sports have no more to do with patriotic displays than theatrical performances or musical performances or any other entertainment. Keep politics completely out of sports.

Regarding FF owners quitting, find out if it is a one week protest or if they are quitting. If they are quitting, easiest to release players to waiver and just eliminate those teams this year.  Any games whether played or not played yet against those teams are not counted toward record.  I would think it will be hard to find replacements mid-season.

Part of the problem is that it has been light on ONE side while the other side gets the "horns"...now those that have been getting the "horns" are starting to find their voice. They need our help---but I'm not exactly sure what that looks like. But I think it starts with guys like Kyle Long putting his arm around his black teamate and throwing his support into the ring in Charlottsville....and support sounds a lot like white/ veteran Dale Hansen using his platform to help defend the protest that is making light of the violence (physical and otherwise) done to our Black brothers and sisters.

I'd be inclined to reset the league to a 10-team schedule and hold a dispersal draft this week that runs from worst to first by record. Say 2 rounds - that's 20 players selected. Then I'd release the remaining names on the ghost rosters to waivers immediately, and release any names that were dropped by owners to make room to waivers only after week 4. This keeps owners at the top of the current waiver order from reaping a bonanza.

I think a dispersal draft could really change the focus of the league to a positive one, as granted, I'm assuming here, but with two owners either threatening to quit or who have quit, there is likely drama in the league. Not only that, having a firm hand and swift decision of having a dispersal draft kicks these two quitters to the curb and sets a precedent for the future. A dispersal draft sounds like a really fun way to infuse some energy and enjoyment when we could all use some.

I also really like the idea of adjusting the two teams's scores to the league average each week only if you can't reset the schedule. Great suggestions!

Just read a few @Jason Wood tweets.  He had two owners bail on him.  They're going to freeze their rosters and give them 0-13 records.  That might make the most sense.
I think that this is best solution.  Retroactively change any wins to losses.

Possible catches are:

- There isn't a balanced schedule (they play some teams more than others) where some teams would get more free wins

- You are using a site where you can't retroactively change the win/loss

If the above prevent a freeze then you have to go with a site to determine starters.  If you don't want to use FBG (because you or others have don't have subs) then a consolidated site like https://www.fantasypros.com could be used.  You will face issues with the teams possibly getting less competitive as the season goes on.  Tough to figure out add/drops as players get injured or stop producing.  Those teams may be easier to beat at the end of the season.

I'm not a fan of playing against the league average because then you are playing several other teams (including yourself) and if you can do that then you should be able to freeze the rosters and give them all losses.

A good point was made that it is the owners' right to quit.  This is what a commish gets to deal with unfortunately.  Another good point was made that this is not a freedom of speech issue with the NFL.  Freedom of speech does not extend to the workplace.  My understanding is that employers can fire you but you can't be sent to jail for expressing your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread