What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFL - owners quitting in NFL boycott (1 Viewer)

How complicated is the league?  If it's just a matter of managing lineups, waiver wire, and trades I would be willing to manage one of the teams to the best of my ability for the remainder of the season so long as you can commit to finding a new owner for next year. 

I think it's simple.  They have every right to walk out of the league (minus not paying league dues) just like any person has a right to stand, kneel, squat, do the moonwalk during the national anthem.  That is what America is about, right or wrong.  But then they'll be held accountable for their actions.  In this case, you don't let them back in and you demand they pay their league dues.  In the meantime I'd say play the teams on their roster according to FBG rankings or some ranking to keep it fair or until you can find replacements.  Although with waivers and add/drops it could be tricky, that part isn't so simple.  Hopefully you can find some replacements quick.
My fantasy league allows you to use the Football Sharks Lineup Coach to set weekly lineups.

The commish can set it up in the settings.

Regarding the two owners who leave, goodbye and good  luck to you. Replace them as they've left you no choice. If they want in next year (and the league votes them back in) they must pay before the draft....also they must also pay for the food at the next draft. Drinks are another story. Up to you.

For this season, Don't stress the money part...prize pool is just 2/12 smaller. Simple.

Part of the problem is that it has been light on ONE side while the other side gets the "horns"...now those that have been getting the "horns" are starting to find their voice. They need our help---but I'm not exactly sure what that looks like. But I think it starts with guys like Kyle Long putting his arm around his black teamate and throwing his support into the ring in Charlottsville....and support sounds a lot like white/ veteran Dale Hansen using his platform to help defend the protest that is making light of the violence (physical and otherwise) done to our Black brothers and sisters.
My point is have at it hoss. It's all the same background noise. The game starts at the same time anyway. 

My other favorite straw man on this issue is how "players kneeling is dividing the country!"

maybe police continually getting away with killing innocent people of color is what's actually dividing the country? 

Call me crazy, but "shooting the messenger" is an old trope that I have none interest in subscribing to. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are some coming up with the notion league dues weren't paid? The OP never mentioned anything like that.  I see two options.

1-Give them losses for all games played and all games the rest of the season (In my state for high school forfeited games record 2-0 scores).

2-Find replacement owners to manage the teams the rest of the way out.

Where are some coming up with the notion league dues weren't paid? The OP never mentioned anything like that.  I see two options.

1-Give them losses for all games played and all games the rest of the season (In my state for high school forfeited games record 2-0 scores).

2-Find replacement owners to manage the teams the rest of the way out.
Yes, OP never said whether they did or didn't pay.  We're just stating that if they quit without paying their share that is an incredibly **** move.

I am so not getting into the issue behind the protests here other than to say that, as with most issues, there are truths on both sides, and it is a significant disservice in finding resolution to the problem if only one side is being heard.

I am aware of at least 3 other leagues (Dynasty) where owners are bailing or are thinking of leaving their league for this reason.   Of course I am in a ton of leagues so its still a small percentage (I'd estimate 1 in 100) but if even 1 of every 1000 owners decided to call it quits, and there were like 1 000 000 fantasy leagues, you're talking about 1000 openings at minimum across the fantasy landscape ... 

I am aware of at least 3 other leagues (Dynasty) where owners are bailing or are thinking of leaving their league for this reason.   Of course I am in a ton of leagues so its still a small percentage (I'd estimate 1 in 100) but if even 1 of every 1000 owners decided to call it quits, and there were like 1 000 000 fantasy leagues, you're talking about 1000 openings at minimum across the fantasy landscape ... 
Color me skeptical of this. 

I'm in 2 leagues, and I commission one. In the one I commission, we have 3 guys who I'd affectionately describe as "Trump voter rednecks" - and  while they are not a fan of the Kneeling,  they would never quit a fantasy football league over it. Because that's ridiculously stupid. The fantasy league has none impact on any of the issues and all it does is screw over the other members of that league. 

So pardon my skepticism, but I don't believe your implied numbers for a second. 

Good for the managers.   Pion fans need to do all they can to encourage the NFL to keep politics out of sports.   If that means boycotting the NFL and fantasy leagues, so be it.  

Good for the managers.   Pion fans need to do all they can to encourage the NFL to keep politics out of sports.   If that means boycotting the NFL and fantasy leagues, so be it.  
NFL players have national television cameras pointed at them to raise awareness of their issues.

What affect / impact will a couple of FFB dorks taking their ball and going home possibly have on the NFL as a "boycott"? 

Boycotting the NFL means not watching games, not buying jerseys, not watching the draft or getting your kid a fathead of their favorite player.

quitting a FFB league because you don't like seeing players take a knee - that's....that's something else altogether. 

Totally agree and I think people should extend that to fantasy football message boards. Sorry to see you go, I respect your conviction and the consistency of your position.

I wish I was as strong as you.

:bye:

True story - I was watching last night's game with two guys who disagreed with the kneeling. I'm in a league with one of them. 

We spent 20 mins before the game drinking top shelf bourbon & yelling out our respective positions at each other like drunken adults do. 

We came to some mutual understandings, respected each other's positions where we disagreed, took another shot, watched football & BBQ'd.  

Didn't ruin anyone's night, no one got punched, no one cried and no one left. People need to grow up. 

Make sure they aren't permitted to join any other league you are affiliated with.  These people ruin things, and you shan't let them do it again.

True story - I was watching last night's game with two guys who disagreed with the kneeling. I'm in a league with one of them. 

We spent 20 mins before the game drinking top shelf bourbon & yelling out our respective positions at each other like drunken adults do. 

We came to some mutual understandings, respected each other's positions where we disagreed, took another shot, watched football & BBQ'd.  

Didn't ruin anyone's night, no one got punched, no one cried and no one left. People need to grow up. 
:thumbup:  This is the way to handle it.

Color me skeptical of this. 

I'm in 2 leagues, and I commission one. In the one I commission, we have 3 guys who I'd affectionately describe as "Trump voter rednecks" - and  while they are not a fan of the Kneeling,  they would never quit a fantasy football league over it. Because that's ridiculously stupid. The fantasy league has none impact on any of the issues and all it does is screw over the other members of that league. 

So pardon my skepticism, but I don't believe your implied numbers for a second. 
I am in 9 leagues and am considering being done after this year. Several dynasty leagues that I am a top team for years to come. I also know several people who have many leagues that are in the same boat. However, thinking about being and being done are two different things. I am not sure where I will land by the end of the season. It is ridiculous we have to talk about this. 

I am in 9 leagues and am considering being done after this year. Several dynasty leagues that I am a top team for years to come. I also know several people who have many leagues that are in the same boat. However, thinking about being and being done are two different things. I am not sure where I will land by the end of the season. It is ridiculous we have to talk about this. 
It's ridiculous to talk of quitting a league "in protest" ever, regardless of surrounding social issues. Because the league isn't a public forum, where people might be influenced by such a protest. Which is the whole point of the protest. 

Sounds like a lot of pearl clutching to me. "Anonymous unapologetic un-PC guy" suddenly acts so offended by actions that don't effect them in the slightest. Not saying that's you, but I have family that fought & shed blood on foreign soil so that everyone in America has the right to free speech and expression. The players peaceful protest is the epitome of that constitutional right, so I support it. But if you don't, ok, that's your prerogative. 

But quitting a fantasy league over it, or anything political, is not a "protest". It's just a #### move. 

I say don't "consider" it - give notice now. As a league commish, I know it takes time to find a suitable replacement. So give your league plenty of notice. Go on the league page & inform them tonight that you have such a problem with peaceful protest that you're willing to quit the league over it. Maybe a bunch of your friends will agree and also quit. Then you'll have no league. 

And won't that be fun on Sundays.  :no:

meanwhile Puerto Rico is starving,  stop whining about this first world problem...waaa politics is ruining my FF...JFC

I'm in 1000 leagues and over 600 people are quitting over this stupid protest.

Keep us posted. We'll all be on the edge of our seats waiting for you to decide.

I had two owners decide to boycott the NFL and by extension FFL.
I honestly can think of no better way to honor the memory of the brave men and women who have fought and died for their country than to boycott fantasy football.  Truly, an honorable and--dare I say--heroic act on the part of these two owners.  Top shelf, all the way.  They are a credit to their country and all who know them.  If only we had more brave people like them, who were willing to emulate their guts, grit, and sacrifice.  Bravo.

America has lost its mind.  I would say this is totally ridiculous but, alas, it is not even surprising.  

Trump has driven a wedge right through the heart of the greatest nation ever created.   And half the people love him for it.  

Jump. The.  Shark.  

I considered it, but both of my fantasy teams are 3-0, and I'm trying to make money.  lol

I like that folks are ultra political when it comes time to send out a few tweets, but just not when it's time to vote.

Good stuff.

America has lost its mind.  I would say this is totally ridiculous but, alas, it is not even surprising.  

Trump has driven a wedge right through the heart of the greatest nation ever created.   And half the people love him for it.  

Jump. The.  Shark.  

I just love these simplistic explanations.  And why do you think a guy like Trump is in office?  Because half the country are racist neo-nazi KKK members who were tired of Obama uniting the country?

I just love these simplistic explanations.  And why do you think a guy like Trump is in office?  Because half the country are racist neo-nazi KKK members who were tired of Obama uniting the country?
Amazing how many people that voted for Obama twice became klansmen overnight, ain't it?

Amazing how many people that voted for Obama twice became klansmen overnight, ain't it?

Blaming one side to the exclusion of any blame for the other is just so ridiculous.  Both sides of the aisle have led this country to where we are today.  If there is a real wedge driven through the country, it is the wedge that separates DC from the rest of the country.  Politicians are walking out of office after decades with suitcases bulging with money because both sides have sold out to lobbyists, special interests, and rich fringe elements and have sold the rest of the country out for their own benefit.

Okay, that's it.  I'm done in this thread.  Have fun taking shots at each other guys.  DC loves it.  You're fueling their existence.

I am not watching the NFL for the next three weeks. 

When I get back into the country from my vacation, I will resume my NFL obsession. 

Bronco Billy said:
Pretty much, yeah.  You nailed it.  The guy is a complete misogynistic bafoon who has hoodwinked flyover America into believing that he actually gives two ####s about them.  

Best con job of all time.  

Meanwhile, the world watches and nervously laughs at the downward spiral that is America right now.  Never has it been more fractured. And dudes quitting fantasy leagues because players kneeled during the anthem to protest something only serves to reinforce the point. 

Pretty much, yeah.  You nailed it.  The guy is a complete misogynistic bafoon who has hoodwinked flyover America into believing that he actually gives two ####s about them.  

Best con job of all time.  

Meanwhile, the world watches and nervously laughs at the downward spiral that is America right now.  Never has it been more fractured. And dudes quitting fantasy leagues because players kneeled during the anthem to protest something only serves to reinforce the point. 
Well, I might say it was more fractured during the Civil War... But, yeah Trump is pretty much trying to institute McCarthyism.

I believe most people that are rational thinkers can separate the rhetoric from reality and continue to watch the NFL or play FFL if they so choose.

I'll just point out that politics have been in sports for a long time. This isn't something new. Tommie Smith and John Carlos were nearly 50 years ago. The US boycotted the Olympics (37 years ago) for crying out loud, that's about as political as it gets. "Great White Hopes" in boxing have been ubiquitous for decades.  Max Schmelling-Joe Louis were 2 fights that were dripping in politics -- 80 years ago. 

did these same guys tell their friend to pull over so they could get out of the car and walk when Rage Against the Machine played on the radio back in high school?

Just wondering, did any of those owners have Joe Mixon on their roster? I'm really curious to see if their self-righteous indignation prevented them from drafting someone who broke a woman's face on camera or if they were only turned off to the League when they realized than many of its players believed in crazy ideas like accountability for law enforcement and the right to peacefully protest when they see instance after instance of police literally getting away with murder. 

I know every man has a point when they say, "enough is enough," and for true patriots, it was this past weekend. Cheering for domestic abusers? Hey, everyone deserves a second chance. Take a knee, the same way they have been taught to do since Pop Warner to listen to a coach or show respect for an injured player being tended to? Screw those SOBs. 

Users who are viewing this thread