What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worth stashing Morris or DMC for two weeks? (2 Viewers)

emerlin

Footballguy
Is it worth it for owners to stash one of these guys ahead of a possible Zeke suspension?  Seems like they can be had cheep now if you can hold them on your bench.   If so, who do you like.

Or - will it turn into a dumpster fire aka the Cardinals backfield and therefore making them both useless?

Last edited by a moderator:
No way with that line does it turn into a dumpster fire.  If there was ever a place to speculate the Dallas backfield is it.  I drafted McFadden and he's a firm hold from me until it's decided Zeke plays the whole year.

Given a new change in continuity of Cowboys' OL (i.e. Collins being shifted from guard to tackle), I think Morris might be best bet than McFadden.  I like how he ran hard during preseason (I know it was only preseason). 

Given a new change in continuity of Cowboys' OL (i.e. Collins being shifted from guard to tackle), I think Morris might be best bet than McFadden.  I like how he ran hard during preseason (I know it was only preseason). 
Can you elaborate here, please? What, aside from preseason performance, leads you to believe Morris is in line for the role if Zeke is out? 

Can you elaborate here, please? What, aside from preseason performance, leads you to believe Morris is in line for the role if Zeke is out? 
He looked better than McFadden in TC/pre-season, he has been active each week, McFadden has not, & McFadden is 30 (& has never been the epitome of health).

He looked better than McFadden in TC/pre-season, he has been active each week, McFadden has not, & McFadden is 30 (& has never been the epitome of health).
Regarding Inactives: 
What do the "He's been inactive" feel about those who say that between Morris and McFadden, the latter's skill set mirrors Zeke's more closely, so he's the one being held back to open the roster spot? Also thoughts on the idea of Dallas keeping him inactive as a Zeke insurance policy given his "health" concerns?

Regarding looking better preseason:
We're looking at 0.2ypc difference between the two (5.3 vs 5.1). I don't put much credence in playing time in pre-season (who does?).... but they were both utilized moderately (30 vs 20carries - next to zero receptions).

• McFadden is a proven 1000yd rusher in this offense with 4.6ypc in 2015.
• Morris was used as a complimentary runner to Zeke in 2016, thus far he's being used in that capacity in 2017. I see little reason for that not to continue. Morris hasn't been a worthy primary back in a few years now. 

IMO: If Zeke is out: The healthy McFadden steps into the primary back role (a role he is familiar with and has proven himself in) with Morris retaining the complimentary role he is currently in ( a role he is familiar with and has performed suitably in since coming to Dallas). Imo if this happens it shifts from the 90/10 current split to  more like 80/20 or 70/30 split as well, increasing Morris' value a bit but still not rosterable. McFadden becomes a low RB1. 

As a Zeke owner, I have rostered McFadden as insurance and am not giving it a second thought. 

This is from RW's analysis after the 3rd preseason game in August:

Alfred Morris rushed nine times for 56 yards in the Cowboys' regular season dress rehearsal.

The Cowboys played in the Hall of Fame Game, so they're through four exhibition contests now. Morris has gained 158 yards on 30 carries (5.27 YPC), often looking like a superior between-the-tackles option than Darren McFadden. McFadden's all-purpose skills and dependability have him ahead of Morris on the depth chart, however. McFadden is likely to begin the year as Dallas' every-down back, while Morris chips in 5-8 change-up carries per game.
Darren McFadden rushed twice for 21 yards in the Cowboys' third preseason game.

The fact that McFadden was only allowed to handle two carries suggests the Cowboys have embraced they won't have Ezekiel Elliott early in the season. Over Dallas' last two preseason games, McFadden turned 11 carries into 80 yards and caught a four-yard pass. He will be an every-week RB1 until Elliott returns.

Aug 26 - 10:34 PM

Alf plays special teams.  Hence - he's active.  Both will be active if Zeke sits, and McFadden is likely to get the start.  My 2 cents

Alf plays special teams.  Hence - he's active.  Both will be active if Zeke sits, and McFadden is likely to get the start.  My 2 cents
People keep posting this; what role does he play on special teams?  I watched the game Monday & didn't see him on ST.  I looked up the stats & he doesn't have any PR, KR, or tackles.  I don't think he ever played ST with Was.  I know that statement makes sense for those people who want to believe that DMC is the back-up despite evidence that says otherwise, but does anyone have any actual info about what role he plays on ST?

Alf doesn't play special teams.  Which negates a main argument of the dmc guys   This article mentions that but also sees dmc as the back up   That leaves the question   If alf doesn't play special teams either why is he active and dmc watches??

https://www.google.com/amp/cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/24/dallas-cowboys-nfl-running-back-alfred-morris-washington-ezekiel-elliott-lance-dunbar-darren-mcfadden-cut-trade-free-agency/amp/
To preserve his health? If you're Dallas and you know it's possible Zeke is susoended at any time, do you really play his main backup and risk injuring a guy you know is likely to be starting for you soon?

To preserve his health? If you're Dallas and you know it's possible Zeke is susoended at any time, do you really play his main backup and risk injuring a guy you know is likely to be starting for you soon?
I can see how that could make sense but are there any other teams in the NFL making the primary backup a healthy scratch every week for this reason?

Looks like you guys are right. I've been reading experts for weeks saying Alf plays special teams that's why he's active. Reading now that's not the case. Thanks experts.  

I can see how that could make sense but are there any other teams in the NFL making the primary backup a healthy scratch every week for this reason?
There are no other teams in the NFL with a suspension looming over their best player. 

I heard on XM a couple of weeks back that Morris is more compatible to their game plan if Zeke was to go down with an injury during the game.  But they said that if Zeke was suspended/injured their game plan for future games would be different and DMC would likely be the starter.  Not sure if that's true but at least it made sense to me at the time I heard it.

I thought a few years back Denver had something similar with Hillman and CJ Anderson, where while Hillman was healthy J Thompson seemed to be more active in their game plans than CJ but when Hillman went down CJ got the top job.  I thought CJ had even been a healthy scratch before the game Hillman got hurt but I could be not remembering that correctly as I looked at the 2014 game logs and that didn't seem to be the case.  I do remember that I dropped CJ right before Hillman got hurt and didn't have enough FAAB to get him back   :wall:

If alf doesn't play special teams either why is he active and dmc watches??
See red below 

• McFadden is a proven 1000yd rusher in this offense with 4.6ypc in 2015.
Morris was used as a complimentary runner to Zeke in 2016, thus far he's being used in that capacity in 2017. I see little reason for that not to continue. Morris hasn't been a worthy primary back in a few years now. 

IMO: If Zeke is out: The healthy McFadden steps into the primary back role (a role he is familiar with and has proven himself in) with Morris retaining the complimentary role he is currently in ( a role he is familiar with and has performed suitably in since coming to Dallas). Imo if this happens it shifts from the 90/10 current split to  more like 80/20 or 70/30 split as well, increasing Morris' value a bit but still not rosterable. McFadden becomes a low RB1. 

As a Zeke owner, I have rostered McFadden as insurance and am not giving it a second thought. 

I know that statement makes sense for those people who want to believe that DMC is the back-up despite evidence that says otherwise,
What "evidence", exactly? 

Regarding looking better preseason:
We're looking at 0.2ypc difference between the two (5.3 vs 5.1). I don't put much credence in playing time in pre-season (who does?).... but they were both utilized moderately (30 vs 20carries - next to zero receptions).

McFadden is a proven 1000yd rusher in this offense with 4.6ypc in 2015.
• Morris was used as a complimentary runner to Zeke in 2016, thus far he's being used in that capacity in 2017.
I see little reason for that not to continue. Morris hasn't been a worthy primary back in a few years now. 

What "evidence", exactly? 
Just explain to me why no other NFL teams have their primary backup as a healthy scratch every week...seriously I'm wondering what the angle is on that.  As of this morning I own both DMAC and Alf so I'm covered and praying to sweet 5 and a half pound baby Jesus that Zeke gets suspended ASAP.

There are no other teams in the NFL with a suspension looming over their best player. 
But all the other teams have a primary backup for their starting RB correct?  If the logic is that they want to protect the health of the primary backup, then it follows that other teams would think that way as well.  If the logic is that Alf is a good complimentary back to Zeke but DMC is the backup, then it follows that DMC would be suited up ready to go every game in case Zeke tweaks a hammy during warmups or the first carry or whatever.  I can't imagine that they would potentially go a whole game with a lesser backup when they have a "better choice" available.

But all the other teams have a primary backup for their starting RB correct?  If the logic is that they want to protect the health of the primary backup, then it follows that other teams would think that way as well.  If the logic is that Alf is a good complimentary back to Zeke but DMC is the backup, then it follows that DMC would be suited up ready to go every game in case Zeke tweaks a hammy during warmups or the first carry or whatever.  I can't imagine that they would potentially go a whole game with a lesser backup when they have a "better choice" available.
Better at what?  They have specific roles that they are good at.  Alf is a better compliment.  McFadden would be more redundant.  It's pretty simple to understand, unless you don't want to because you own Morris and want to think he's the guy if Zeke isn't around.  He's not. 

Just explain to me why no other NFL teams have their primary backup as a healthy scratch every week...
Why do you keep sidestepping or outright ignoring answers to the questions you're posing. 

Again... we've seen the story of these two backs before. 
• DMC has been a 1000yd featured back in this system. 
• Morris has been (and currently is) a complimentary / COP back in this system. 

Preseason stats were very similar (and are rarely a good indicator of usage of established players.  HIstory has told us EXACTLY how these two players are used... it's on you (referring to anyone who pimps Morris) if you choose not to listen. 

Better at what?  They have specific roles that they are good at.  Alf is a better compliment.  McFadden would be more redundant.  
Exactly. I have no idea how this is so hard to understand. :lol:

If you have a $100 screwdriver, a $75 screwdriver, and a $10 hammer...... you don't leave the hammer at home and carry both screwdrivers just because they are your two nicest tools. You carry one of each tool you need, and keep the $75 driver at home until you lose the really expensive one. 

Exactly. I have no idea how this is so hard to understand. :lol:

If you have a REALLY  expensive screwdriver, a pretty expensive screwdriver, and a cheap hammer...... you don't carry both screwdrivers just because you spent the most on them. You keep the pretty expensive screwdriver at home until you lose the really expensive one. 

Except Morris is the more expensive running back.

Not necessarily. You can't know your starting bell cow RB is going to be injured. Most teams operate as if they won't. Look at the Cards, for instance. DJ went down and what did they do? Did they have his backup riding the bench every week. No. His backup was a FA sitting at home on his couch on Sundays... 

I wouldn't doubt that, if Bell went down, the Steelers would call up DWill to take primary back duties (if Conner doesn't pan out or is not ready). 

But the Cowboys are in the unique position of knowing their bell cow RB is going down. So it's in their best interest to keep their main backup off the field for now. 

Not necessarily. You can't know your starting bell cow RB is going to be injured. Most teams operate as if they won't. Look at the Cards, for instance. DJ went down and what did they do? Did they have his backup riding the bench every week. No. His backup was a FA sitting at home on his couch on Sundays... 

I wouldn't doubt that, if Bell went down, the Steelers would call up DWill to take primary back duties (if Conner doesn't pan out or is not ready). 

But the Cowboys are in the unique position of knowing their bell cow RB is going down. So it's in their best interest to keep their main backup off the field for now. 
:goodposting:  

Tapping out here. An abundantly clear case has been made. Hopefully zeke doesn't get suspended and this is all moot. 

I guess the Cowboys gave Morris 5.5 mil before they even got Zeke, that was to be McFadden's back up?
It was 3.5 with the possibility of 5.5 in bonuses, I believe. And seeing as they drafted Zeke almost exactly one month later, it's pretty clear they signed him to be A backup, yes. DMC was already on the roster with a 5.8M contract with 200,000 possible in bonuses. He was signed to a one-year extension this year even though they had Morris, so idk what exactly you can really surmise from all of this other than the best guy for the job will get it. 

It was 3.5 with the possibility of 5.5 in bonuses, I believe. And seeing as they drafted Zeke almost exactly one month later, it's pretty clear they signed him to be A backup, yes. DMC was already on the roster with a 5.8M contract with 200,000 possible in bonuses. He was signed to a one-year extension this year even though they had Morris, so idk what exactly you can really surmise from all of this other than the best guy for the job will get it. 
It doesn't coincide with the theory that McFadden is such a gem they need to stash him to shield him from injury while Zeke is out.

It doesn't coincide with the theory that McFadden is such a gem they need to stash him to shield him from injury while Zeke is out.
No one said he was a gem. They said he is a similar style runner to Zeke and therefore fits into their scheme better than a COP back like Morris. 

Look guys, I don't enjoy the pissing contests....I own both guys so as long as Zeke goes bye bye I'll be happy.  I'm just saying that the arguments for DMC seem kind of odd and that his inactivity is unusual.  There are no other NFL teams with a starting rb who has a suspension looming.  Understood and agree.  There are also no other NFL teams who make the primary backup a healthy scratch every week.  Arizona did not have the primary backup sitting at home as a FA, they considered Kerwynn the backup until he pooped the bed.

No one said he was a gem. They said he is a similar style runner to Zeke and therefore fits into their scheme better than a COP back like Morris. 
That explains why McFadden is a healthy scratch every week. A more better question: who is the better runner, Morris or McFadden?

:goodposting:  

Tapping out here. An abundantly clear case has been made. Hopefully zeke doesn't get suspended and this is all moot. 
Actually it's not that great of an argument.....The Cowboys know their guy is going away?  Next week or next year? 

That explains why McFadden is a healthy scratch every week. A more better question: who is the better runner, Morris or McFadden?
That's not necessarily the right question. Look at a team like the Redskins where their COP back is clearly their best RB but is just not built for number of carries they require from their RB. 

I believe that's a good comparison to Morris who is not built for carrying the ball 20+ times every week. 

But Zeke is. 

And so is DMC.

If any Morris believers are actual believers, I'll welcome a side bet that DMC gets more carries in the event Zeke is suspended: 

• $100ea paid escrow to neutral 3rd party before Friday. 
• If suspension is pushed back to 2018, bets are refunded.
• If Zeke is suspended, the back with more carries during that suspension pays. 
• Either back getting injured (Deemed Out due to injury for 2+ games) during suspension voids the wager. 

Any takers? @cloppbeast? I like free money  :popcorn:  

Look guys, I don't enjoy the pissing contests....I own both guys so as long as Zeke goes bye bye I'll be happy.  I'm just saying that the arguments for DMC seem kind of odd and that his inactivity is unusual.  There are no other NFL teams with a starting rb who has a suspension looming.  Understood and agree.  There are also no other NFL teams who make the primary backup a healthy scratch every week.  Arizona did not have the primary backup sitting at home as a FA, they considered Kerwynn the backup until he pooped the bed.
Or, the primary backup was Johnson all along, and they only re-signed him when they needed him.

See also: Steelers / LeVeon Bell / DeAngelo Williams.

That's not necessarily the right question. Look at a team like the Redskins where their COP back is clearly their best RB but is just not built for number of carries they require from their RB. 

I believe that's a good comparison to Morris who is not built for carrying the ball 20+ times every week

But Zeke is. 

And so is DMC.
Somebody should have told Washington.

Good argument there, buddy. 
Almo has 3 seasons with 265+ carries, DMac has exactly zero.

Not exactly sure where you're getting the idea McFadden is better suited for 20+ carries/game.

They signed CJ2K immediately after DJ went down, they didn't wait. 

If any Morris believers are actual believers, I'll welcome a side bet that DMC gets more carries in the event Zeke is suspended: 

• $100ea paid escrow to neutral 3rd party before Friday. 
• If suspension is pushed back to 2018, bets are refunded.
• If Zeke is suspended, the back with more carries during that suspension pays. 
• Either back getting injured (Deemed Out due to injury for 2+ games) during suspension voids the wager. 

Any takers? @cloppbeast? I like free money  :popcorn:  
You seem to misunderstand my posts.  I have no idea which back is going to be the man, that's why I have both.  I'm asking why DMC is a healthy scratch and I"m telling you I don't agree with your answers to that question.  They don't really make sense as you seem to be convinced they do. 

Almo has 3 seasons with 265+ carries, DMac has exactly zero.

Not exactly sure where you're getting the idea McFadden is better suited for 20+ carries.
Because he's done it for the Cowboys just a couple years ago. They've kept him on the roster despite having signed AlfMo. And they use AlfMo as a COP back which, go figure, likely means that's what he is...

They signed CJ2K immediately after DJ went down, they didn't wait. 
Correct, why would they not sign a rb after they lose one?  DJ was not the man until Kerwynn shat.  If Kerwynn had produced well, he would still be the man.  CJ was cut instead of Kerwynn because they thought Kerwynn was better.

Users who are viewing this thread