What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad beat sob stories (1 Viewer)

Cowboysfan8

Footballguy
For whatever reason I seem to lose at least one matchup a year by under a point.

I lost a FF game last night by .3 pts because Zeke lost 7 yds on his last carry of the game. It was tie when the series started, he gained 4 yds on the first play. I thought I was golden. Nothing on his second carry. Catastrophe on carry #3. :lol:

Anyhow post your bad beats here 

9.8 point lead late in MNF.

Opponent's kicker nails a 50+ FG to send the game to OT.  Then another 50+ FG to win.  I lose by 0.2.

September 22, 1997 - Jacksonville and Pittsburgh playing

I'm up by 5 points over my opponent.  He has the Jacksonville D/ST.  Pittsburgh is down 23-21 and Norm Johnson (PIT) lines up for the game winning FG as time is expiring.  Chris Hudson from Jacksonville blocks the kick thus ending the game....but wait, he returns the blocked kick for a TD with no time on the clock already having won the game and I lose by 1.  That was a tough one to swallow.

Picking AP in the 1st in 2014, Dez in 2015, and Charles in 2016. It has been a rough time to pick in the 1st for this guy

This is going back a few years to the late nineties...

I have to win the final game of the regular season to make the playoffs. The Sunday games begin and I am instantly getting killed by a seemingly insurmountable amount of points. My team is doing nothing in return. I make peace with losing.

The second games begin, and I get career performances from two middling receivers. I don't even remember who they were, sadly, but basically, 3 TD games from each receiver and some help from somewhere else as well. I tie my opponent, a comeback for the ages. Each of us now have the highest point totals of any team that season in this league. His team is done. I have my kicker left, Buffalo's Steve Christie, playing in either the Sun or Mon night game.

This was a basic scoring league. No negative points, no fractional points, just 1 point for PATs and 3 for FGs. All I need is 1 point to win. My opponent is finished.

Christie, a reliable kicker, proceeds to miss multiple short FGs in the first half and the Bills cant score. I stay up to watch the entire game, begging Marv Levy and company for an extra point. 

Buffalo drives late in the fourth, down by 25 or more, and manages a first and goal. 3 attempts at scoring fail. Here comes Christie and the field goal unit. Time out. When the game resumes, the offense takes the field. And scores. And then they go for two.

Christie scores zero. My opponent and I tie, I lose the tie breaker. And my season ends.

I've lost a matchup in the past with the QB taking 3 kneels (-.4) to close out a game. It happens.
 I have lost that way, and it really, really was the suck.

Last year in my IDP league, I lost not one, but two tackles - causing me to lose by .6 on a Thursday at 4:30 PM, 3+ days after I thought I had won the week  by four points.  That knocked me out of the playoffs.

on the flipside, my first championship in that league was won by .2 points. It was a Christmas game, and my linebacker chased a guy out of bounds with less than a minute left in the game, on literally the last play. Cheapest "tackle" ever, but it counted all the same, so I've been on both sides. 

Since 2005 I've been a 14-team redraft that's hosted on CBS. We don't have decimal scoring because the commissioner doesn't want it, so we still have a couple tie games every year. The tie-breaker is most bench points, which I hate.

I was playing the commissioner, and we have a good rivalry. There was a Monday night game in 2007, Packers-Broncos. I went into the game with a 31-point lead. I was done, my opponent had Greg Jennings. I was ahead by 21 points when the game went to OT. At the time, Jennings had 5 catches for 59 yards. (I had to look all this up, but the rest of it is seared into my memory.) In OT, Favre hit Jennings on an 82-yard TD to win the game. We get 2 bonus points for TDs longer than 40 yards and 3 bonus points for exceeding 100 rushing/receiving yards. That play was worth 21 points. We tied, and my opponent won the tie-breaker and the game. 

Many years ago, a guy in my league was up 5 pts going into MNF...opponent was done, he had Rex Grossman playing.  Grossman had like 125 yds passing and 6 turnovers.  -7 pts for Grossman, and that guy lost by 2.  Brutal.  That was the famous game when Dennis Green said that famous rant...."they were what we thought they were....and we let them off the hook!"

Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise that I have to wake up too early for work to stay up for the whole MNF game...

Some brutal stories in this thread.  :topcat:

I have lost that way, and it really, really was the suck.

Last year in my IDP league, I lost not one, but two tackles - causing me to lose by .6 on a Thursday at 4:30 PM, 3+ days after I thought I had won the week  by four points.  That knocked me out of the playoffs.

on the flipside, my first championship in that league was won by .2 points. It was a Christmas game, and my linebacker chased a guy out of bounds with less than a minute left in the game, on literally the last play. Cheapest "tackle" ever, but it counted all the same, so I've been on both sides. 
I have to wonder - we were in the same league last year? I was on the lucky end of this exact story last year to make the championship. It was an odd IDP stat change that happened way after the normal stat changes. Y! league.

My second year playing fantasy football, I had the No. 1 seed in the playoffs, but my team was running on fumes. I go into MNF down two to the No. 8 seed, with my Alge Crumpler and his TJ Duckett still to play. Duckett vultures a short TD early and I look like I'm cooked, especially once Atlanta gets up big over NO in an otherwise meaningless game.

But midway through the fourth quarter, Vick completes a long pass to Crumpler and I'm suddenly only down by 4. On third and goal, Vick has him wide open in the end zone and Crumpler flat out drops it. (Madden even commented on what a bad drop it was.) Atlanta kicks the FG on the next play and then pulls their starters.

Team that beat me went on to win the championship. If I had faced those same opponents in the semis/finals, I would have won.

If only I had gone to bed early, I would never have known how close I came to winning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won a bad beat a while back when Manning took a knee to center the ball (-.2) making it a 40 yard FG (4 points instead of 3) for the drunk kicker to put me over the top.

We were just telling this story again this week for some reason.  Damn near 20 years ago now....Eddie George was the man....owner 1 had Eddie George in MNF and a 1 point lead against his opponent who had nobody left.  First carry, Eddie fumbles, injured, doesn't return.  Guy lost by 1.

I have to wonder - we were in the same league last year? I was on the lucky end of this exact story last year to make the championship. It was an odd IDP stat change that happened way after the normal stat changes. Y! league.
No - this was my long time private league. It wasn't during the playoffs, it was 2 weeks before. 

When playoffs got there I ended up tied with 2 others and lost the tiebreakers.

stat adjustments on Thursday at 4:30 suck. I hate seeing a 4 point win turn into a loss. 

I've already had a few fractional losses this season that boiled down to the MNF game.

My most bitter "loss"  if you will was in 2015 and was by a few more points than fractions.

Had AJ Green going against the Broncos on MNF. He scores TD early and ends first half with my team needing 2.3 points for the championship. A championship that awarded $200,000 to first place on team I split with someone so me and a co-owner had $100K starting at us if AJ Green simply makes two 5 yard grabs or a 14 yard catch in the second half. I got so intense I had to leave the house and went to local bar which was packed. Had entire bar rooting for me, bartender on the ready to pour shots for the house on me when it became official. In my mind as soon as I celebrated with a few shots at the bar I was jacked to return home and tell the family the good news, announce we were going to Disneyworld next month and all that good stuff.  I was basically just waiting to explode with joy.

AJ Green went an entire half without catching a pass. Game went into OT and he still did not catch a pass.  Almost 2 hours passed from time AJ Green caught his last pass and we needed 2.3 points until the game was over. 2 hours of intensity and bottled up emotion ready to be let out and it just fizzled away.

Not really me but my opponent in the championship last year lost by .37 of a point when Antonio stretched that ball into the endzone. ?

I've already had a few fractional losses this season that boiled down to the MNF game.

My most bitter "loss"  if you will was in 2015 and was by a few more points than fractions.

Had AJ Green going against the Broncos on MNF. He scores TD early and ends first half with my team needing 2.3 points for the championship. A championship that awarded $200,000 to first place on team I split with someone so me and a co-owner had $100K starting at us if AJ Green simply makes two 5 yard grabs or a 14 yard catch in the second half. I got so intense I had to leave the house and went to local bar which was packed. Had entire bar rooting for me, bartender on the ready to pour shots for the house on me when it became official. In my mind as soon as I celebrated with a few shots at the bar I was jacked to return home and tell the family the good news, announce we were going to Disneyworld next month and all that good stuff.  I was basically just waiting to explode with joy.

AJ Green went an entire half without catching a pass. Game went into OT and he still did not catch a pass.  Almost 2 hours passed from time AJ Green caught his last pass and we needed 2.3 points until the game was over. 2 hours of intensity and bottled up emotion ready to be let out and it just fizzled away.
First payed $200,000 and 2nd payed $0? 

:unsure:

9.8 point lead late in MNF.

Opponent's kicker nails a 50+ FG to send the game to OT.  Then another 50+ FG to win.  I lose by 0.2.
this is tough for me and just a personal rant....I have a hard time with leagues that make FG's no matter what the length, worth almost as much as a TD....

First payed $200,000 and 2nd payed $0? 

:unsure:
$25K and I understand that does not quite cut a sympathetic story and if I did not personally experience I'd probably not be real sympathetic to this tale either.  But I can speak for myself and the co-owner when I say it not feel like we won $25K(or $12.5K each) so much as we  lost $87.5K each.

A lot of that has to do with way it unfolded, we knew since about the first series of the game we had second secured. Had we rose up and snatched second I would not be posting this in the bad beats forum but would instead have gone down as a great "win".

A few years back I was in the semifinals, and I was down 1.3 points, my opponent was done, and I had Antonio Brown going.  4th quarter....Brown catches a 15 yard pass.......called back due to a holding penalty.  Brown doesn't catch another pass.  I would have won the league easily the next week....my team put up 180 or so points in the 3rd place game.

The worst beat I ever took wasn't a game, it was a season. 

This was a while back - 2002 I believe. My team was stacked. I'd been playing for a few years, but this was the 1st draftni felt like I really was dialed in. Research, strategy, felt like the picks I wanted just fell to me every round. 

My team at the time was a ridiculous 9-1, already a lock for the playoffs. Tomlinson, Charlie Garner, Ahman Green, Moulds, Plaxico and led by Donavan McNabb who was putting up just video game numbers  - stacked. 

So week 11 comes and I'd been out on a late date the night before, drinking, partying, etc. 10:30 AM, I wake up, my date does her walk of shame, and I throw on some clothes, irked that I missed some football already. I check my score real quick, see McNabb with 2 TDs already and hop in the shower, then head up to my buddy's place where he had a back yard bar with 4 TVs & Sunday Ticket set up. Listening on the radio, McNabb throws another TD, I'm headed to 11-1, getting ready to dominate the playoffs in week 14, week 13's essentially a BYE. 

I walk in, said "sup fellas!" and everyone looks at me like someone died.  Now at the time the running joke was "hey, you hear the news about [your best player]? Broken fibula." So when I ask "what's wrong?" they said "dude, McNabb broke his fibula. 

"Ha ha ha, he just threw a 3rd TD, i heard it on the radio." 

Cue the television, "and McNabb is apparently playing on a broken fibula..."

crap.

ok, that hurts, but hey, my team is still stacked & I've got a decent backup QB"

yeah - my backup QB got hurt in the late game. I believe it was Pennington during his terrific year with the Jets. 

Now I've got none QBs. And with 6/12 teams making the playoffs (a format I hated - league's now 4/12, and week 15 playoffs instead of 14-15)  the 5 other playoff managers basically scooped up & benched the 4-5 semi-viable starting QBs. They didn't collude to do this, it was just smart defensive FFB.

so basically the best FFB season I'd ever had (and one of the best in all my years of playing) ended in week 11 on 2 fluke injuries. 

That's what I call a bad beat. 

------------------

bad beat #2 was self inflicted. 

Championship game. DeSean Foster has been named the starting RB for the SF 49ers for week 16. I scoop him up and bench my disappointing RB2. 

Foster is mediocre, guy I benched busts out a 129 yard rushing game, I lose by 1.6 points. :doh:  

lesson: gotta dance with the girl ya brought to the dance. 

$25K and I understand that does not quite cut a sympathetic story and if I did not personally experience I'd probably not be real sympathetic to this tale either.  But I can speak for myself and the co-owner when I say it not feel like we won $25K(or $12.5K each) so much as we  lost $87.5K each.

A lot of that has to do with way it unfolded, we knew since about the first series of the game we had second secured. Had we rose up and snatched second I would not be posting this in the bad beats forum but would instead have gone down as a great "win".
Oh, I'm sympathetic - that is a HUGE drop-off. $87k is life changing. 

$12,500 is a good weekend in vegas snorting blow off a hooker's backside. 

And yeah - that's one unlikely loss. I've been in a few of those. I recall one where my receiver had 3 catches nullified by questionable penalties and any of them would have won it for me. Brutal. 

About 8 or so years ago I was up 0.15 with Carson Palmer, then on the Bengals.

On a 4th and 8 trailing late in the game.  Palmer threw a 6 yard out to Chad Johnson (who my opponent had) who inexplicably ran out of bounds short of the stick, effectively ending the game.

so l essentially lost by 0.15 because my QB scored additional points

The year was 2011.  I had a stacked Dynasty/Contract team that had steamrolled through the regular season 14-0.  Barely squeaked by the first round to make it to the finals.  Adrian Peterson scores 11 points in the first half against the Redskins and then tears his ACL on the first play of the third quarter.  Gerhart ends up scoring 11 points in relief and I lose by 4 points to finish 15-1 and in second place.

PS:  I also had about 4 players on my bench that could have won it for me.

I've lost a matchup in the past with the QB taking 3 kneels (-.4) to close out a game. It happens.

Many years ago, a guy in my league was up 5 pts going into MNF...opponent was done, he had Rex Grossman playing.  Grossman had like 125 yds passing and 6 turnovers.  -7 pts for Grossman, and that guy lost by 2.  Brutal.  That was the famous game when Dennis Green said that famous rant...."they were what we thought they were....and we let them off the hook!"
The guy who started him in our league began the night with a lead of 6.30. Rexy had 144 yards passing, so 5.76 off that, 4 Ints (-2 each) plus 2 fumbles - minus 12, net (-6.24) but still clinging to a lead of 0.06.

The Bears got the ball back with about 50 seconds left. Because Arizona still had two timeouts left, they needed to run a coupe extra seconds off during victory formation, so Grossman’s kneel downs were non-standard. His first was (-2) yards, the next one he danced around from guard to guard & took a loss of (-4.) Only on the final play did he do the usual (-1.)

Yep...(-6.31) points. Dude lost by 0.01.

michael vick 11/15/2010

Went to bed with a 40 point lead facing only Mike Vick. Woke up lost by 4.

It was maybe 14 or 15 years ago, but I remember being in a league with a team named Black Dawg.  Black Dawg managed to have the 2nd highest score of the week for 9 weeks straight, all losses.  After a few weeks, it was a running joke.  No matter how bad your team was, if you were about to play Black Dawg, your team was about to go off.  He was the league scoring champ and did not make the playoffs.

It was maybe 14 or 15 years ago, but I remember being in a league with a team named Black Dawg.  Black Dawg managed to have the 2nd highest score of the week for 9 weeks straight, all losses.  After a few weeks, it was a running joke.  No matter how bad your team was, if you were about to play Black Dawg, your team was about to go off.  He was the league scoring champ and did not make the playoffs.
ouch 

I am in 4 leagues and should have been 4-0 this week.  In one league I was up 8.5 points with my opponent having Larry Fitzgerald Sunday night at end of regulation.   If San Fran punches it in in overtime I win.  Nope.  They kick a field goal and Arizona drives down and Fitz catches a 3rd down pass in endzone and I lose by .22 points.

Tonight I am down 17 points with Cousins to his KC defense.  You guessed it, I go up 6 after Washington drives for game tying field goal.  F U Doctson.  KC kicks field goal with 4 seconds left.  Bull#### lateral fumble for a TD and I lose by 2.  

I hate fantasy football 

I am in 4 leagues and should have been 4-0 this week.  In one league I was up 8.5 points with my opponent having Larry Fitzgerald Sunday night at end of regulation.   If San Fran punches it in in overtime I win.  Nope.  They kick a field goal and Arizona drives down and Fitz catches a 3rd down pass in endzone and I lose by .22 points.

Tonight I am down 17 points with Cousins to his KC defense.  You guessed it, I go up 6 after Washington drives for game tying field goal.  F U Doctson.  KC kicks field goal with 4 seconds left.  Bull#### lateral fumble for a TD and I lose by 2.  

I hate fantasy football 

No offense, but now I don’t feel so bad.  That’s a really bad weekend.

Guy in my league was up 125.35 to 118.16.  He had Hunt and Hill going against KC DST.

He lost 126.16 to 125.35 on the DFR+TD...

For whatever reason I seem to lose at least one matchup a year by under a point.
In one league in the first 3 weeks I had 2 losses by less than a point. I attribute that to lousy decisions at kicker and defense. In week 1 Vinatieri missed an XP, which I saw on tv and thought 'pfft big deal'. It cost me the game.

Probably the worst was in my rookie season in FF and I actually made the playoffs. My QB got hurt in the first series of the noon games and put up a zero. Nonetheless I came back, especially on the strength of a magnificent comeback by the Colts on MNF. On the last play of the entire season for me, and the last real play of the game, Manning lifted a deep pass that Harrison made a play for, and the ball just dribbled off his fingers. I lost by a point. I'm sure I was hooked on FF at that point.

I hate fantasy football 

Guy in my league was up 125.35 to 118.16.  He had Hunt and Hill going against KC DST.

He lost 126.16 to 125.35 on the DFR+TD...
Brutal. Not surprising, a lot of people are in leagues where KC is a weekly start, & I actually thought of this thread as the scoop & score unfolded. Anytime you lose on the last play it’s gonna hurt but 8 points on a badly executed desperation call? Ugh

Guy in my league went into Monday night down 74.05 to 87.  He had Kelce, opponent had KC Def/ST.  Kelce drops 20.90 points and with a win all but locked up, the last play happens, gives KC 8 and he loses by a score of 94.95 to 95.  00.05 point loss.  This is a brutal hobby.

I lost in my matchup of 3-0 teams on the fumble return TD last night to end the game.  I did not have a very good week, but Hunt had me in the lead up until that play.  Glad I was not watching at the time.

When Justin Houston returned that fumble on the last play of the MNF game, it changed the outcome of a game in my league.  That's brutal.

Couple weeks ago, I was up by a couple points towards the end of the Denver-Dallas game.  I had Dak going with Jordy Nelson in the Sunday nighter.  Opponent had Denver defense.  All I needed was Dallas to concede defeat and play out the clock.

Nope.  Dak throws that pick 6 from the endzone.

That's ok...I still have Jordy going to give me the 8 or so points I need to win.

Nope.  He gets hurt on the first series of the game.

Only loss this season so far.  ####!

Users who are viewing this thread