What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recent science fiction and fantasy movies/tv (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
Looking for recommendations I cam share with my brother while he's in the hospital.  He hasn't had a ton of access to tv, movies, Netflix, etc recently so any suggestion would be appreciated. 

He's dealing with both physical and mental illness, though, so If there's anything horror, or demonic, or souls being taken, that kind of stuff please let me know so I dont recommend it to him.  

Really appreciate any advice from the geeks around here.  

Game Of Thrones is the obvious show that came to my mind, but it's extremely violent and I'm not sure how that plays into your parameters.

Can you list some stuff he likes?

Thoughtful sci-fi.  He tends to like darker stuff i just dont want it to be too dark. I think he likes anime.  Not sure what exactly. For movies I'm thinking ex machina would be good.  For tv GoT might work although in addition to the violence he was surprisingly not into the books because he felt like bad things kept happening and never anything good.  Everyone raves about firefly, that might be up his alley, but I've never seen it.  He seems to like that grim future stuff, maybe like blade runner or total recall type stuff.  Minority report maybe.  

Best to your brother, Fred.  Hope he feels better soon. 

Hm.  Has he seen original Star Trek?  Based on your notes there would be a few eps he'd want to avoid (and I can tell you which), but for the most part, given the generally upbeat tone, this might be a good bet.  The whole series is readily available on DVD or Netflix streaming.  

Plenty of fun and easy superhero TV shows to watch like Arrow, Flash, etc.  Marvel Agents of SHIELD also a good one.  You have the older newer Battlestar Galactica from the Sy-Fy channel that was phenomenal.  Cannot recommend that one enough.

.  For tv GoT might work although in addition to the violence he was surprisingly not into the books because he felt like bad things kept happening and never anything good.  
Yeah, maybe he shouldn't watch it then - though, the show is brighter than the books (Caveats: a) so far, and b) that's not saying much).

The Martian (the film with Matt Damon) from a couple of years ago was pretty cool (so was the book).

Aerial Assault brought it up just above, but the Star Trek series (not just the original) can be a bunch of fun and also though-provoking.

How about The Lord Of The Rings films?

Firefly would be good. Has a great mix of humor and sci-fi.

Babylon 5 is fairly old now but has a great 4 season story arc.

Stargate SG-1 is a 10 season series that is one of my favorite sci-fi series.

If he likes anime, try Space Battleship Yamato 2199  (Japanese name is Uchū Senkan Yamato).  There is both an animated series and a live action movie.

All the Marvel stuff previously mentioned. 

There's also a TV series: Avatar: The Last Airbender which is pretty good and can be fairly adult though it's also a kid's show. There was a live action movie not nearly as good as the series.   (ETA:  If he likes the animated series, there's a sequel series called The Legend of Korra)

Starship Troopers is a classic.

Jurassic World.

Tron: Legacy.

The new Star Trek movies.

ETA: Martian is a great call.

ETA:  There's an animated super hero one from a few years back called:  Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  Very well done super hero one, wish they'd kept doing that instead of the reboot with fancier animation but less story that they went with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fringe

Black Mirror
Haven't seen either but both seemed to have a lot of scary imagery. His specific triggers would be anything demonic or involving souls, religion, gods, that kind of stuff. I think he could handle stranger things, but definitely not poltergeist or exorcist.  Where do these fall on that scale? 

Good stuff guys.  Anyone know what happened with the new doctor who is that only on bbc on demand or? 
I'm sure someone does, but it isn't me.

However, that reminded me to recommend Sherlock with Benedict Cabbagepatch and Martin Freeman. It's not SF per se, but - first two seasons, especially (3rd goes a little bonkers) - there are a lot of elements your brother may like.

I'm sure someone does, but it isn't me.

However, that reminded me to recommend Sherlock with Benedict Cabbagepatch and Martin Freeman. It's not SF per se, but - first two seasons, especially (3rd goes a little bonkers) - there are a lot of elements your brother may like.
Good call.   wouldn't have thought of it.  Totally agree about the first two seasons.

Haven't seen either but both seemed to have a lot of scary imagery. His specific triggers would be anything demonic or involving souls, religion, gods, that kind of stuff. I think he could handle stranger things, but definitely not poltergeist or exorcist.  Where do these fall on that scale? 
Fringe is more like aliens vs humans sort of thing really. There are a few gory scenes I guess but overall I think it's X-Files lite.

Certain Black Mirror episodes might be iffy bit it's an anthology show with most episodes being dystopian with a theme of how technology affects the human condition. 

The new Doctor Who is available through Amazon Prime video.

A few other movie recommendations

Arrival

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2

Ex Machina

Kong Skull Island

Enders Game

Planet of the Apes new trilogy

Star Wars Force Awakens & Rogue One

Prometheus and Alien Covenant are just bad movies so...avoid.

if he likes teen drama and teen genocide with BSG quality visuals, with teen chick face punching and scissoring (PG13)... The 100 might be for him (as it is for me)

Not sure how recent you are talking but Moon (2009) is probably my favorite sci-fi film

Interstellar (2014)

Looper (2012)

The Road (2009, post-apocalyptic)

Is this really true? I just thought people were calling it that because "LIVE DIE REPEAT" tagline/slogan was in bigger letters on the DVD cover (and the movie poster) than the actual name of the film, but, it's still labeled "Edge of Tomorrow" on there somewhere right?
Yeah, it is the tagline, but cannot imagine they changed the name, but :shrug:

Vudu has it as L D R : E ot T interesting.

bostonfred said:
Looking for recommendations I cam share with my brother while he's in the hospital.  He hasn't had a ton of access to tv, movies, Netflix, etc recently so any suggestion would be appreciated. 

He's dealing with both physical and mental illness, though, so If there's anything horror, or demonic, or souls being taken, that kind of stuff please let me know so I dont recommend it to him.  

Really appreciate any advice from the geeks around here.  
Sunshine and Moon are both very good and lack a lot of violence or horror.  More thinking sci-fi.

edit:  I see Moon was already mentioned.  Interstellar (also mentioned) is fantastic.

I didn't see Contact mentioned.  Older, but very good movie.

The Firefly series is must watch for any SciFi fan.  I would start there if he hasn't seen them.

So to dip into TV series as of late:

The Magicians - this is absolutely fantastic.  2 seasons to consume.

The Expanse - also 2 seasons in.  While the books are some of the best space opera to be released ever, this series is superb.

If he wants a break from that genre I'd highly recommend he partake of Fargo (the series).  Can't be overstated how damn good those are.

The Expanse - also 2 seasons in.  While the books are some of the best space opera to be released ever, this series is superb.

If he wants a break from that genre I'd highly recommend he partake of Fargo (the series).  Can't be overstated how damn good those are.
Was going to mention this.

Big fan of Looper, Battlestar, and Stranger Things. Stranger might be too scary in his situation but has a nostalgic fear factor that appeals to me. 

The 100 if you are looking for volume, silly seriousness and hot chicks. 

I 3rd the expanse.  Excellent series with a great mix of character, drama, and sci-fi cool.  Pulled me in from the start. 

I 3rd the expanse.  Excellent series with a great mix of character, drama, and sci-fi cool.  Pulled me in from the start. 
I have enjoyed The Expanse, but my enthusiasm is lessened from reading through 6 of the novels before watching them, so I have fallen victim to the show just isn't good enough because I read the books syndrome, but  they are probably great if you have not rad the books.

GregR said:
Firefly would be good. Has a great mix of humor and sci-fi.

Babylon 5 is fairly old now but has a great 4 season story arc.
B5 was five seasons.

But these were the two I was going to suggest.

bostonfred said:
Thoughtful sci-fi.  He tends to like darker stuff i just dont want it to be too dark. I think he likes anime.  Not sure what exactly. For movies I'm thinking ex machina would be good.  For tv GoT might work although in addition to the violence he was surprisingly not into the books because he felt like bad things kept happening and never anything good.  Everyone raves about firefly, that might be up his alley, but I've never seen it.  He seems to like that grim future stuff, maybe like blade runner or total recall type stuff.  Minority report maybe.  
I'm like a broken record in here, but Rick and Morty is not just the best cartoon currently on TV, but also the best science fiction currently on TV (they way that handle alternate reality and multiverses is brilliant, in my opinion), it's also the best comedy on TV.  I guess that makes it the best TV currently on TV.  

I would start with episode 2 (pilot is a little boring), but it really kicks in great starting around episode 4 or 5.  And episode 1 of season 2 (time gets split into multiple realities) is, again, brilliant. 

Edit, here is the TRAILER for season 3.  I also love the way the producers use music in this show. 

Second edit:  This isn't a trailer, but gives you a nice feel for the show:  Seven Rick Sanchez Rants

I have enjoyed The Expanse, but my enthusiasm is lessened from reading through 6 of the novels before watching them, so I have fallen victim to the show just isn't good enough because I read the books syndrome, but  they are probably great if you have not rad the books.
huh... sounds like I should give this another shot. 

unlike Dutch, I bailed after the start.

I'm like a broken record in here, but Rick and Morty is not just the best cartoon currently on TV, but also the best science fiction currently on TV (they way that handle alternate reality and multiverses is brilliant, in my opinion), it's also the best comedy on TV.  I guess that makes it the best TV currently on TV.  

I would start with episode 2 (pilot is a little boring), but it really kicks in great starting around episode 4 or 5.  And episode 1 of season 2 (time gets split into multiple realities) is, again, brilliant. 

Edit, here is the TRAILER for season 3.  I also love the way the producers use music in this show. 

Second edit:  This isn't a trailer, but gives you a nice feel for the show:  Seven Rick Sanchez Rants
Just based on that clip... :mellow:

Then again, I have found that I have the most hard to categorize and predict sense of humor of anyone I know.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles should have been given at least one more season. I liked most of what we got anyway. At two seasons it's not much of an investment.

Westworld comes out on video on November 7th.

The fifth season was tagged on.  The arc was 4 seasons - Season 4 was some of the best TV ever.
I don't think this is 100% correct.  IIRC, it was setup for a 5 year arc, but season 4 ratings were very low on PTEN, so they were wondering if the fifth season was going to continue until TNT picked it up.

I don't think this is 100% correct.  IIRC, it was setup for a 5 year arc, but season 4 ratings were very low on PTEN, so they were wondering if the fifth season was going to continue until TNT picked it up.
Kind of odd, as it may have been a 5 season arc, but the climax was at the end of season 4.  There is nothing in 5 to be missed.  And, as I said, Season 4 was epic.

I'm not an expert on this so if someone has a better source, fine.

My understanding is... it was intended to be a 5 season show. However they didn't think they were going to get a 5th season so they packed the main story arcs in the 4 seasons and a couple of made-for-TV movies that came out at the same time.

They ended up getting the 5th season, which then got the less important story points they didn't already resolve, plus tried to lay the groundwork for the spin off.

Which explains my original comment about a great 4-season story arc.  I feel like the main story ended in season 4 and everything after just didn't flow nearly the same.

By the way, a more recent SyFy channel show I loved the first season of is Killjoys.  Season 2 was decent though not quite as good.  I haven't watched season 3 yet, still on the DVR.

Someone mentioned it earlier but can we assume he already has the LoTR movies covered?  Hobbit too?

Red Dwarf is still doing great Sci-Fi Comedy. The show has been running off an on since 1988.

The main setting of the series is the eponymous mining spaceship Red Dwarf,[10] which is 6 miles (9.7 km) long, 4 miles (6.4 km) tall, and 3 miles (4.8 km) wide and is operated by the Jupiter Mining Corporation.[11] In the first episode set sometime in the late 22nd century, an on-board radiation leak of cadmium II kills everyone except lowest-ranking technician Dave Lister, who is in suspended animation at the time, and his pregnant cat, Frankenstein, who is safe in the cargo hold.[12] Following the accident, the ship's computer Holly keeps Lister in stasis until the radiation levels return to normal – a process that takes three million years.[12] Lister therefore emerges as the last human being in the universe – but not alone on-board the ship.[13] His former bunkmate and immediate superior Arnold Judas Rimmer (a character plagued by failure) is resurrected by Holly as a hologram to keep Lister sane. At the same time, a creature known only as Cat is the last member on board of Felis sapiens, a race of humanoid felines that evolved in the ship's hold from Lister's cat, Frankenstein, and her kittens during the 3 million years that Lister was in stasis.[13]

The main dramatic thrust of the early series is Lister's desire to return home to Earth, although the crew's ownership of an unlimited time-space travel drive in series seven was to later negate this intention.[14] As their journey begins, the not-so-intrepid crew encounters such phenomena as time distortions, faster-than-light travel, mutant diseases and strange lifeforms that had developed in the intervening millions of years.[14] During the second series, the group encounter the service mechanoid Kryten, rescuing him from a long-since crashed vessel.[15] Initially, Kryten only appeared in one episode of series two, but by the beginning of series three he had become a regular character.[16] At the end of series five, Red Dwarf itself is stolen by persons unknown, forcing the crew to travel in the smaller Starbug craft for two series, with the side-effect that they lose contact with Holly.[17] In series seven, Rimmer departs the crew to take up the role of his alter ego from a parallel universe, Ace Rimmer, whose name has become a long-standing legend and a legacy passed down from dimension to dimension. Shortly afterwards, the crew encounters a parallel version of themselves from a universe in which Kristine Kochanski, Lister's long-term love interest, had been put into stasis at the time of the leak and so became the last remaining human.[18] A complicated series of events leaves Kochanski stranded in the series' main universe, where she is forced to join the crew.[18] At the end of series seven, we learn that Kryten's service nanobots, which had abandoned him years earlier, were behind the theft of the Red Dwarf at the end of series five.

At the beginning of the eighth series, Kryten's nanobots reconstruct the Red Dwarf, which they had broken down into its constituent atoms.[19] In the process, the entire crew of the ship – including a pre-accident Rimmer – are resurrected, but the Starbug crew find themselves sentenced to two years in the ship's brig (at first, for crashing a Starbug and bringing onboard Kryten and Cat as stowaways, but later for using information from the confidential files).[19] The series ends with a metal-eating virus loose on Red Dwarf. The entire resurrected crew evacuates save the original dwarfers. In the cliffhanger ending, Rimmer is left stranded alone to face Death (and promptly knees him in the groin and flees).[20]

Nine years later, the four are once more the only beings on the ship. Rimmer is again a hologram, Holly is offline, and Lister is mourning Kochanski, lost to him out of an airlock some time previously. A chance to get back to Earth through a dimension warp presents itself; although it is not quite what it appears to be, it gives Lister new hope when he learns that Kochanski is still alive after all.

The tenth series sees Lister still travelling with Rimmer, Kryten and Cat on Red Dwarf, in hopes of eventually locating Kochanski above getting back to Earth. Neither the tenth nor eleventh series have confirmed whether the Rimmer onboard ship is the one who originally left, the revived version, or a third incarnation entirely; however, episodes have alluded to him remembering events from both previous incarnations' lives.

The Hobbit (the book) is a children's story.  A darn good one, but when they stretched that out into three gargantuan movies you can see what happened.
The sad part is that it could have been a great single movie story, even had an opportunity to add depth beyond what is in the book.  Sad (but not surprising) that they went for the money grab instead.

Users who are viewing this thread