What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wisdom Teeth Question (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
@Dentist or any other FFA's with knowledge.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed 25 years ago. They put me under and when I woke up they were gone.

My boys are scheduled to have their wisdom teeth removed on their Christmas break from college. Our dentist said that he would give them Ativan and then numb the area and then yank them. The dentist is not a surgeon and cannot put them under. I am a little nervous about it as I thought they knocked you out to remove them. 

Is this typical and all will be fine or should I be looking for a surgeon instead? 

I had mine removed a few years back.  Fully knocked out.  I guess it depends on the level of extraction needed but I definitely want to be "asleep" when they're pulling those suckers out.  Didn't feel or remember anything.  Woke up shortly after the surgery.  Fairly painless.  

I can comment on this as I ended up having to have my wisdom teeth removed without being put under.   In my case--i needed mine removed in basically an emergency like situation as I had excruciating pain in my mouth that was caused by my wisdom teeth growing into each other.   They numbed the heck out of my mouth--but I was awake the entire time.   While it didn't really hurt because the numbing agent worked well--I'd be lying if I said that it was a pleasant experience.   You are still coherent enough to hear the less than appealing sounds and to be aware of the actual extractions.   With that being said---you know your children more than anybody else.  If they aren't "squeamish"--I wouldn't really worry about not being put under.   There are risks associated with being put under--so it might be safer and less expensive to do so.  

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed 25 years ago. They put me under and when I woke up they were gone.

My boys are scheduled to have their wisdom teeth removed on their Christmas break from college. Our dentist said that he would give them Ativan and then numb the area and then yank them. The dentist is not a surgeon and cannot put them under. I am a little nervous about it as I thought they knocked you out to remove them. 

Is this typical and all will be fine or should I be looking for a surgeon instead? 
I got mine taken out for a research study. They were severely impacted, basically sideways and backwards. Because of the study, I could only have a local. It was fine. I could feel pressure, but not pain. And the Dentist pretty much put his foot on my jaw and yanked. The pain comes later. Then you want codeine, or something like it. And ice packs. 

I had my dentist do all four.  (I was about 16.)  I knew my dentist was a good one, so I had confidence in him.  We went the local route.  I don't remember being particularly fazed by the procedure, but I don't mind going to the dentist.  Your kids are old enough to make their choice.  Just ask well in advance.  Have ice packs ready.  You realise they may not want Christmas dinner afterwards, right?

My wife had all 4 taken out about 10 years ago. They didn't put her under, just local. She got through it fine.

I had my dentist do all four.  (I was about 16.)  I knew my dentist was a good one, so I had confidence in him.  We went the local route.  I don't remember being particularly fazed by the procedure, but I don't mind going to the dentist.  Your kids are old enough to make their choice.  Just ask well in advance.  Have ice packs ready.  You realise they may not want Christmas dinner afterwards, right?
So bring them some figgy pudding. 

Not a dentist, but, there are different types of "out". Dental anesthetic isn't really the same stuff you'd get in a hospital for surgery. You're not really out, it blocks both pain and memory, though, so you're definitely woozy during and won't remember anything after, but you're not unconscious and can mostly respond to requests to move, adjust, etc.

Unless you were in a hospital for yours, with an anesthesiologist, you may have just had "twilight anesthesia" or somesuch similar thing. You might think you were fully out, but, if you're in an office and not a hospital, you weren't really.
That may be. My dentist said it needed to be done and then we went to another office and another Dr did the yanking. Honestly I don't remember seeing the Dr. They gave me an IV and the nurse said count from 100 to 0. I remember getting to 97. The next thing I remember is coming to with drool coming down my chin. The nurse said something like "hey sweetie, everything is great". I said something that was not understandable and the two nurses started giggling. From that point on I was pretty rude. 

Depends if they are impacted or not.   I had 4 removed also.   2 pulled like you mention.   The other 2 I was put under.

I had one of my back teeth pulled in the office. It was either $2100 for a root canal or $200 to have it pulled. See ya, tooth. :bye:  

Seriously, that's not as bad as it sounds. I hardly felt it being pulled out.

I had all 4 removed 6 or 7 years ago probably and was not put under.  I didn't have dental insurance at the time and being put under added to the cost.  It wasn't so bad.  They gave me a valium? something that made me not care.  I also didn't feel anything.   If I had it to do again I would not get put under because more complications can happen from that than from being awake.  Tip bring headphones to listen to music no one wants to hear the sound of the drill or whatever it was they had to cut the tooth with (I only had 1 impacted).  Start to end was probably 15 minutes once they started pulling.  Maybe 20.  Just my opinion but there's no real reason to get put under as long as they can give you a don't care pill.

I had all 4 pulled when I was in my teens. They gave me an IV. I remember at first I was going to see how long I could resist the drug. And then I realized that was a stupid idea. I could hear what was going on the whole time, and felt them doing stuff in my mouth, but I wasn't really registering any of it. No pain during the procedure. Afterward, I got up and walked out of the office under my own power. They were impressed. 

My wife had all 4 taken out about 10 years ago. They didn't put her under, just local. She got through it fine.
Same for me a few years ago.  Didn't feel a thing at the time, no big deal at all.  Maybe some weird noises if that's going to bug them.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was a teen, around 17 or so. (So just a few years ago...not). I had asked for the teeth back after they were out. One came back in 4 pieces. The cuts in the tooth were all smooth. I wasn't awake for it and frankly, after seeing that last tooth I was thankful I wasn't.  

I too was given the drip. I think I made it to about 97-98 on the countdown. The last thought in my head was that I thought it was going to take longer. Didn't finish the thought. As I was waking up I was marveling at this really cool blue box in front of my vision... turned out it was the ceiling. And pro-tip. Don't get a vanilla shake right after the procedure. It might sound like a good idea. Cool and everything. It's not. Trust me on this. Unless you are a vampire and like the taste of blood. And the feeling of ice spikes hitting you where your wisdom teeth used to be.

They put me under when I had all of mine pulled out when I was maybe 17 (office, not a hospital).  I woke up and the cute little blond assistant was holding me up, walking me to the recovery room.  Me being the macho guy that I thought I was and feeling like I'm floating, told her, "I'm okay, I can walk."  The minute she let go of me, I crumpled to the ground.

That doesn't really give any valuable insights regarding the OP, but I don't know that I'll find a way to insert that wisdom tooth story into any other threads here.

I had 2 bottom ones pulled with just numbing anesthetic and laughing gas at my regular dentist.  2 top ones were surgically removed with local anesthetic (plus a happy pill prior to the procedure) in an oral surgeon's office. 

If you've got a good dentist let him do it.

I had all 4 removed 6 or 7 years ago probably and was not put under.  I didn't have dental insurance at the time and being put under added to the cost.  It wasn't so bad.  They gave me a valium? something that made me not care.  I also didn't feel anything.   If I had it to do again I would not get put under because more complications can happen from that than from being awake.  Tip bring headphones to listen to music no one wants to hear the sound of the drill or whatever it was they had to cut the tooth with (I only had 1 impacted).  Start to end was probably 15 minutes once they started pulling.  Maybe 20.  Just my opinion but there's no real reason to get put under as long as they can give you a don't care pill.
:goodposting: They gave me halcion.  You're not supposed to remember everything, it seemed like I did but there were some things I was told that I didn't.  Sounded like carrots being ripped out of the ground even with my headphones.   Plus they gave me extra to practice with before hand so I knew how much I needed to take.  That along with a couple weeks worth of Oxy made for a good trip.  Would do again.

Last edited by a moderator:
my dad was a dentist and took me to the office one weekend to extract all 4 wisdom teeth in my late teens.

problem was, in the time since he had previously xrayed the teeth (6mo-12) they had become impacted (laying flat or irregularly instead of straight up and down). at some point after what looked like he was working hard, he started pumping the nitrous on me and it just kept going for an hour plus... I was completely high, and he only got through 1 or 2 teeth. took me to an oral surgeon a couple weeks later to take out the rest (I went under for that).

if your wisdom teeth are relatively routine, you can absolutely go the nitrous + local anesthetic route.   That's the way I had mine done by my dad.

I dislike take out teeth so I only do wisdom teeth if they are super easy...  but he does some relatively complex cases..  man you save a ton of money doing it that way.

Having said that,  i'd say 7/10 cases end up going to my oral surgeon for IV sedation...   but there's nothing wrong if you can tolerate it for an experienced traditional dentist to do it under a milder sedation.

I had mine pulled with just novo/lidocaine.

It was an interesting experience, you feel the dentist pulling and you feel as a part of what was you is ripped away.
You're still the same person, but forever changed. And you remember that change.

I had mine pulled with just novo/lidocaine.

It was an interesting experience, you feel the dentist pulling and you feel as a part of what was you is ripped away.
You're still the same person, but forever changed. And you remember that change.
Reminds me of my ex-wife. Minus the Novocaine. 

I didn't have health insurance at the time so I just drank a few old fashioneds and ripped them out with vise-grips. They were impacted so I had to really dig in there with a utility knife until I had enough tooth to grab on to. Lost a fair amount of blood but it wasn't a huge deal.

Users who are viewing this thread