What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cubs vs Nats 2017 (1 Viewer)

The Cubs gave up a top prospect for Justin Wilson for the singular reason of using him against Washington in the playoffs. 

However, he has been so un-good that there is talk he might not make the series roster. He could lose a spot to one of two players the Cubs claimed on waivers: Rene Rivera or Leonys Martin. 

Jon Heyman reported last night that the Nats are leaning towards holding Scherzer out until Game 3.

This was initially a little troubling as a Nats fan but I'm kind of OK with it now.  Strasburg has actually been the better starter for the last two months. I'd still rather have Scherzer ready to go twice if both guys were 100%, but if he'll be helped by the extra two days rest that means he's not 100%, plus he could pitch out of the pen in a potential Game 5.  Also the Nats' prospects in Wrigley behind Gio and Roark would not be great, but if Scherzer starts there Game 3 is a coin flip or the Nats might even be favored.

Anyway he's got a bullpen scheduled this afternoon so we should find out by the end of the day.

TobiasFunke said:
Jon Heyman reported last night that the Nats are leaning towards holding Scherzer out until Game 3.

This was initially a little troubling as a Nats fan but I'm kind of OK with it now.  Strasburg has actually been the better starter for the last two months. I'd still rather have Scherzer ready to go twice if both guys were 100%, but if he'll be helped by the extra two days rest that means he's not 100%, plus he could pitch out of the pen in a potential Game 5.  Also the Nats' prospects in Wrigley behind Gio and Roark would not be great, but if Scherzer starts there Game 3 is a coin flip or the Nats might even be favored.

Anyway he's got a bullpen scheduled this afternoon so we should find out by the end of the day.
No bullpen for Scherzer today, so looks like it'll be:

1- Hendricks/Strasburg

2-  Lester/Gonzalez :unsure:

3- Scherzer/Quintana

4- Roark/Arrieta

Tom Servo said:
Look at you; yinz win a World Series and now you're "confident". :rolleyes:  

Don't turn into Red Sox fan; we will burn this board down.  :P
Once you get over the hump the anxiety disappears.  :shrug:  

Nats have 4 hits. Ovechkin has 6 goals. Guess which one is in the playoffs and which is in the regular season. 

This might be the ugliest performance of someone having a no hitter through 6 innings in playoff history but we will take it.  They are definitely going to need another run or two though

####### jinxed them  :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe they pitched to him in that spot. 
Wasn't a great move, but I'm not sure it was really all that bad. They got a weak pop-up out of him, after all, the Cubs just got crazy lucky on the location.  And it's not like Willson Contreras is an automatic out.

I would have preferred they walk him and let Madson pitch to Contreras, or just let Doolittle pitch to Rizzo, but it was a tie game with two out in the 8th and I assume Dusty was contemplating extra innings too. I'm a "get there first and worry about it later" kinda guy, but it's not that unreasonable.

Wasn't a great move, but I'm not sure it was really all that bad. They got a weak pop-up out of him, after all, the Cubs just got crazy lucky on the location.  And it's not like Willson Contreras is an automatic out.

I would have preferred they walk him and let Madson pitch to Contreras, or just let Doolittle pitch to Rizzo, but it was a tie game with two out in the 8th and I assume Dusty was contemplating extra innings too. I'm a "get there first and worry about it later" kinda guy, but it's not that unreasonable.
Hindsight of course.  I just don't know how you let "that guy" beat you in that situation.  Could have just been poor execution too.  I wasn't expecting them to give him anything he could get the bat on. 

Game is being delayed.  Sounds like rain is just supposed to get worse there though...

Chicago Cubs‏Verified account 
@Cubs
Follow
More
MLB has shared today's #NLDS Game 4 will be delayed due to forecasted inclement weather. We'll share additional updates as possible.

Nats still going with Roark over Strasburg tomorrow because... well, I don't know why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nats still going with Roark over Strasburg tomorrow because... well, I don't know why.
Dusty Baker really is a national treasure. On the phone with a buddy last night, wondering exactly what Baker will #### up next. He said, hell, if this game gets postponed, he'll probably stick with Roark over Strasburg. I chuckled and hung up.

I thought a rain delay was going to work against the Cubs this year.  Thanks Dusty!  

Roark is now going to twirl a gem.  

I honestly don’t care who it is.  Strasburg pitched as well as he could the first game and the Cubs won. 

Why not bat Heyward 9th.  He has been better this season, but he's had some terrible AB's in this series. 

Users who are viewing this thread